Author Topic: [IC] Compact Ergo - UPDATE: vendors, colors, price and timeline announced!  (Read 13340 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Compact Ergo Interest Check

Please visit the landing page below

https://bowlkeyboards.com/pages/compact-ergo-landing-page

Hello GeekHack!

It's been a while since I have posted an IC, and I hope this time I won't disappoint. This is the IC for the Compact Ergo.

TLDR for people who don't like reading (cough cough Simon cough cough)

- Alice inspired ergo with slightly lesser angle (9.5 degrees), southpaw numpad, arrows and rotary;
- Supports ISO and mirrored numpad;
- Factory-soldered RGB user-configurable indicators in VIA;
- Simple top-mount with minimalistic looks;
- All important acronyms are here: QMK, VIA, RGB, USBC, ESD, EMI and OV and OC protection with a DB

This interest check

The project is pretty mature already. As of today a prototype was ordered and works perfectly; bowl is making revisions to add a new mounting point to relief some tiny pinging noise he perceived while typing.

This IC is meant to, of course, gauge interest and feedback. Please visit this form and give us your feedback! https://forms.gle/KjUAK2sxfXzT5iNF6

You can also join the conversation about the project, and other of bowl's projects, in his Discord server: https://discord.gg/n9FRZewwNR

The main feedback points we need to hear you guys on are: color suggestions, as well as the hotswap variant. We feel that currently most people would like an HS variant, but due to the simplistic nature of the project we did not design one yet.

Brief history and inspiration

This is actually the fourth iteration of this keyboard and by God it has been a roller coaster. Back in 2021 I was approached by a new designer and, after designing the PCB and getting prototypes, they contacted a vendor who took on the project; a second revision was made. I was genuinelly hyped for the keyboard because the layout is very unique and interesting; the knob feature is also very welcomed — so much so I designed the PCBs on stream. Despite the fact that the project still garnered some following, after a couple months both the designer and the vendor simply ghosted me. I knew the project had potential so I contacted a second designer; we decided to start from scratch. We did design and brainstorm, but even after arriving at a nice design, the designer themselves decided to drop the project due to its size and the current state of the hobby, fearful that it wouldn't pay itself commercially.

I was honestly done with the project. That was when a follower of bowl, APM, reached out saying that bowl would take it on. And took on he did. Our objective was to make a rather simple construction board that had a banger layout with a rotary and the indicators. That's it. No flashy curves, no huge logos, just something that types gud and sounds gud. Reject modernity. Return to kebort.

The keyboard features a brass piece inside to improve sound; the piece does not show on the keyboard bottom, instead being an internal weight. This makes for simpler construction, lesser cost, and let's face it, this thing is already heavy as it is, so a huge weight would not be of much help.

I think we arrived at a very good product here. The sound test is solid, and the layout is amazing. The encoder feature is very convenient in the place it is — a direct inspiration from the 75% layout, and the indicators are very nice and discreet. The fact that they are configurable means you can set them to math the keyboard anodization color or the keyset.

The indicators are fitted with a small adhesive foam to prevent light bleed (which me and bowl developed together, it's a really elegant solution to the problem to be honest). Apart from these indicators, the PCB features no other lighting because that's what God intended and per key lighting is a travesty to make the building process simple.

The keyboard also features no logos on the outside because let's face it, logos on keyboard externals can be very disruptive. Instead, mine and bowl's logo are on the inside.

Layout

The layout was inspired by biroromi's SPV1 (https://cannonkeys.com/products/spv1-keyboard), which was a "1800CP" with a 75% arrowcluster and a southpaw numpad because southpaw rocks. For CP Ergo, we wanted to translate this idea into the Alice layout albeit with a slightly reduced angle (9.5 degrees) which allows us to put a rotary at the F-row and also support ISO for the bad tasted respectable people that like it.

Pictures

R2 proto and wrist rest pictures

Complete IMGUR album: https://imgur.com/a/fW85xYR

Typing test feat. Meowl Bowlkitty

Built with Gaterson KS3 Milky Yellow pro on aluminum plate.

R2 proto changes

• Added a 5th and 6th tadpole to apply tension to the case screws which acts like a force break without needing to use tape or other nonsense. Also completely optional.
  • Added a bit more tolerance around the knob to more closely match the tolerance of keycaps to the case to look more uniform
  • Tested aluminum knob, PC Plate, and wrist rest, all 3 were successful

Pricing

We are aiming at a price of 420 USD for the kit.

What's in the kit

- 6063 Aluminum case (anodized or coated)
- Silver anodized knob
- Brass internal weight
- Aluminum plate
- Solder or Hotswap PCB
- C5 Daughterboard and JST to JST Cable
- Carrying case
- Microfiber bag
- 6x Geonworks tadpoles (for forcebreak)
- Feet (if you're into that kind of thing I guess? I don't judge), screws and other necessary hardware

Addons

- PP, polycarbonate or carbon fiber plate
- Frosted Polycarbonate Wrist Rest

Vendors
- bowlkeyboards (US / worldwide)
- Prototypist (UK and EU)

Note on the vendors: we reached out to (almost) every single vendor you guys suggested in the IC form. All of them either did not respond or refused to run the project. The only one that agreed was Jae from Prototypist. We reached out to lots of EU and Asia vendors.

TTimeline

We are aiming for a GB in June. Fulfillment is estimated at 4 to 6 months.

Colors and renders

The GB will offer the colors:
- Cherry Blossom (pink)
- Cobalt (bluegray)
- Sparkle Black (black coat with sparkles)
- Cardinal (red)

Here are renders of Sparkle Black, Cobalt and Cherry Blossom:

If you would like to see other colors, give the feedback form a go here: https://forms.gle/KjUAK2sxfXzT5iNF6

Thanks

- My mom because I love her;
- Bowl for making this happen (dude saved the project)
- APM who put me in contact with bowl

IC Feedback

Lots of responses! Here I will address the most mentioned requests and concerns!

Please use X vendor!
As said in the vendor section, we reached out to many vendors and Jae was the only one that replied. We tried.

I like this keyboard but the pricing is rough compared to X option that sells for Y amount
Guys, as much as I understand that there are a lot of options today, we are working with pretty low margins already. We understand this is not a cheap keyboard by all means but we want to offer a nice keyboard with the best quality possible. This being said, this will not be even near the thousand units, so we simply can't compete pricewise with huge brands. I am sorry, but this is just economy of scale...

I would like to see this design feature, this curve, or have a badge!
We are pretty set on the keyboard looks, and we like its minimalistic view and simplistic build. Most suggestions we had (making more space between alpha keys and numpad, adding alogo in the middle, having a badge or screen somewhere) will drastically increase complexity and, by extension, pricing. Small tweaks are doable and in fact will be made in the second prototype, but we are set on the aesthetics of it especially because of pricing.

I love you.
Well thank you. I love you too, fellow keyboard enthusiast!

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2024, 22:50:56 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: [IC] Compact Ergo by Bowl and Gondolindrim
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 13:12:11 »
UPDATES

- [21/11/23] Added add-ons section with HS PCB and wrist rest
- [24/11/23] Added IC feedback considerations
- [25/11/23] Add back and bottom pictures, update information on internal brass piece (thanks Simon and Alessio)
- [09/12/23] Second prototype in red color is being quoted, as well as a polycarbonate wrist rest that will be available at GB. Hotswap PCB is under development.
- [21/01/24] Added R2 prototype pictures
- [05/02/24] Added more R2 proto pictures with wrist rest
- [26/03/24] Tentative pricing and schedule, vendors and colors released
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2024, 22:48:17 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline bowlkeyboards

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 13:18:05 »
 :cool: :eek: :p

Offline synthetics

• very cool
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 13:23:30 »
WHAT IN TARNATION  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

looks compact and ergonomical to me

nice renders

glwic guys <3

Offline Bushhawk

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 15:02:58 »
Holy ****, my favourite dead board is back!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 15:10:17 »
Holy ****, my favourite dead board is back!

Yeah I'm the necromancer of keyboards

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 15:14:42 »
WHAT IN TARNATION  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

looks compact and ergonomical to me

nice renders

glwic guys <3

Thanks!!!

Offline FatefulStranger

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 15:29:02 »
Massively love my Sagittarius, so you know I'm down for another Gondo ergo board  ;D

Always wanted an ergo layout with numpad, so this is perfect for me. GLWIC!

Offline PrizeOcelot5911

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 03:45:14 »
I would prefer JRIS80 compared to this one. :cool:

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 04:03:46 »
I was onboard for the previous iterations of this design, and still am.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 12:06:52 »
I would prefer JRIS80 compared to this one. :cool:

The JRIS are great keyboards. If you feel like that you should grab one!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2023, 12:08:56 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 12:09:25 »
Massively love my Sagittarius, so you know I'm down for another Gondo ergo board  ;D

Always wanted an ergo layout with numpad, so this is perfect for me. GLWIC!

Glad you like the ergo madness I've been bringing. Let's go!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 12:10:26 »
I was onboard for the previous iterations of this design, and still am.

Thanks for sticking with this project. It has been real hard to get it through. But we've done it!!

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 17:34:51 »
Alice layout, southpaw, Gondo PCB goodness... Yes please!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 November 2023, 16:18:22 »
Alice layout, southpaw, Gondo PCB goodness... Yes please!

Yes! Let's go!

Offline JQ27

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 November 2023, 09:54:49 »
ISO still there? Yes. Thank you. I love you.

Offline Razer1987

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 November 2023, 14:18:01 »
Hi, I am really touched by the rework of the Alice layout which looks much better than what can be seen on Keychron ISO!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 November 2023, 14:50:32 »
ISO still there? Yes. Thank you. I love you.

ISO there. As much as I think it's horrible and should be erradicated not the best layout, there's no good reason not to support it.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 November 2023, 14:50:50 »
Hi, I am really touched by the rework of the Alice layout which looks much better than what can be seen on Keychron ISO!

Thanks!

Offline itsazly

• website place
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 November 2023, 20:59:24 »
Looking great! GLWIC!!!

Offline msieben

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 November 2023, 09:48:08 »
I would be ALL in if it wasn't southpaw.  nice, but too niche.  I work in IT and don't know anyone who uses numpad with their left hand.  Sadge.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 November 2023, 14:53:38 »
I would be ALL in if it wasn't southpaw.  nice, but too niche.  I work in IT and don't know anyone who uses numpad with their left hand.  Sadge.

Lots of people got used to the southpaw because of the mouse space. That is the objective!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 December 2023, 19:32:14 »
Second prototype in red color is being quoted, as well as a polycarbonate wrist rest that will be available at GB.

Hotswap PCB is under development.

Offline FlashBombGod

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 January 2024, 04:40:50 »
Gondo, will there be other plate options available besides Alu for the sale of thie board? I know most people like Alu or CF these days, but I'm sure many others along with myself would like to see a PC, POM, and/or FR4 option available for the plates.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 January 2024, 20:25:49 »
Gondo, will there be other plate options available besides Alu for the sale of thie board? I know most people like Alu or CF these days, but I'm sure many others along with myself would like to see a PC, POM, and/or FR4 option available for the plates.

Plate options will be offered. FR4 is a given, maybe a plastic version too. The plate file will be publicized of course, so if it comes down to it you can have your own made.

Offline bowlkeyboards

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 00:37:06 »

Yes! Likely PC, PP, Aluminum, FR4, and CF will be offered  :cool:

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: [IC] Compact Ergo by Bowl and Gondolindrim - R2 protos incoming!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 09:55:40 »
R2 prototype almost done! Pictures added.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 18:07:34 »
is the rotary forced or can we choose to have a key in its place?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 08:56:20 »
is the rotary forced or can we choose to have a key in its place?

This is a question we have been asked on the feedback and now that you mentioned it I would like to have it addressed: the rotary encoder place will feature only the encoder. This is because, in order to make the keyboard support encoder and a switch, the cutout needs to be square and that is very bad from an aesthetic point of view because when you use the encoder, which the majority of people will, there will be a huge gap that is clearly visible from the top.

Offline Razer1987

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 16:46:55 »
I have a frog pad and geon has done a nice alu part to fill the gap when you want to use an encoder.

Probably to late to study this solution but it works pretty well from an aesthetic point of view.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
R2 proto pictures and changelog added!

Offline trashem

please tell your cats that I love them and that they're excellent salespeople, now trying to convince my partner that I can totally afford another keyboard on top of repairs for an 80-year-old house :')

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Vendors, colors, addons, tentative pricing and timeline announced!

Offline 1manny

Super excited for this. Would love to see a badge to replace the encoder with!! Bowl’s logo would be cute lol