Author Topic: Apple's new butterfly keyboard switches  (Read 39926 times)

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
Apple's new butterfly keyboard switches
« on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:07:57 »
Apple announced that their new MacBook, which is a 2lb crazy-thin notebook even thinner than the MacBook Air, has a new kind of keyboard switch that they invented. They call it a butterfly switch, and say it's 4 times as stable as the scissor switch they were using before, and 40% thinner. The key caps also have a 17% larger surface area. Interesting design.

93275-0

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Apple's new butterfly keyboard switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:09:30 »
400% as stable, 40% thinner, 100% junk scissor switch
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:20:39 »
Dear Apple,

Please make MacBook with solid area and no keyboard for 60% mechanical users.

Also, stop with the damn serial connector bull****. You'veb been pulling that crap since ADB days.

Thanks,
Every Mac user
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:26:11 »
Dear Apple,

Also, stop with the damn serial connector bull****. You've been pulling that crap since ADB days.

Thanks,
Every Mac user

This will be the best MacBook ever :thumb: :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:50:54 »
butterfly must be the current buzzword in hip keyboards, waytools textblade has a patented magnetic 'butterfly' mechanism

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:03:45 »
Also, stop with the damn serial connector bull****. You'veb been pulling that crap since ADB days.
Where do you think half their revenue comes from :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Eugene

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:17:48 »
If the redesign improves on just one scissor-switch flaw, then it's a win for everyone. Now to do some research and see if Apple has licensed the design from someone else or patented it for themselves.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:35:48 »
Dear Apple,

Thanks,
Every Mac user

I think you mean ".0001% of Mac users" outside the echo chamber of this forum.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:36:24 »
Dear Apple,

Thanks,
Every Mac user

I think you mean ".05% of Mac users" outside the echo chamber of this forum.

Well, okay. Maybe not the solid top option... ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:48:36 »
The steel dome is intriguing

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:55:18 »
Their regular switch design also buzzes like crazy with sound, even the slightest bass makes the macbook keys buzz/irritate
I was only able to solve the issue by isolating the laptop from the desk with felt pads

I hope this one doesn't buzz if it eventually gets into macbook pro's too
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 14:56:38 »
Dear Apple,

Also, stop with the damn serial connector bull****. You've been pulling that crap since ADB days.

Thanks,
Every Mac user

This will be the best MacBook ever :thumb: :thumb:

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:53:07 »
Ugh, this looks horrendous. Why do Apple keep making products nowadays that are just shiny and made out of a single block of aluminium rather than something functional, useful and above else, affordable? :/ I'd rather have a giant laptop with an integrated AEKII than any of these tiny switches...
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Altis

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 16:06:01 »
The steel dome is intriguing

I'm very curious.

Metal domes have a tendency to be very snappy -- they are either concave or convex, but not much in between. That could make them feel less like a keyswitch and more like a button on an appliance.

Though with such an incredible shallow depth, I'm not sure how much choice they'll have. At the very least, they put some thought and effort into how the keyboard would feel, rather than let it go to pot like the rest of the Macbooks, it seems.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 16:21:12 »
Apple announced that their new MacBook, which is a 2lb crazy-thin notebook even thinner than the MacBook Air, has a new kind of keyboard switch that they invented.
So, Apple has "invented" something again, huh?

Sorry, the "butterfly" stabilising is nothing new. For instance, Optimus Popularis and the Razer Star Wars keyboards have similar mechanisms.
More key surface area to key spacing is not a good thing - it increases the likelihood of pressing the wrong key.

Offline Altis

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 16:31:09 »
More key surface area to key spacing is not a good thing - it increases the likelihood of pressing the wrong key.

That was my thought as well when I heard it.

Combine the closer keys with the extra stabilizing meaning it's both easier and more likely to press an adjacent key.

I guess we shall see.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 16:59:49 »
Can you elaborate on which part you think is bull****? ADB was basically the best peripheral connector on any PC until USB came along.

The PS/2 connectors used on Wintel PCs were a joke. Totally restart your computer to plug in a new keyboard? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:01:27 »
****ing hell. Twice in three days I saw something that I thought was Marquadt butterfly switches and totally wasn't :(.

Now that I'm here, I'm intrigued. Gotta throw this on the list to check out along with Romer-G Omrons and Linear Matias.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:02:07 »
This was my thought too, but I’m guessing they probably subjected the new keyboard to a huge amount of user testing, so maybe they know something we don’t.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:04:02 »
100% junk scissor switch
As you can see in the picture, there’s no scissoring involved here. It’s 100% junk butterfly, okay?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:10:27 »
They’re using a different typeface for the legends:

I must say, I’m not impressed with the glyphs for symbols and punctuation, or the alignment of anything, on the new legends. I think they just pulled the same glyphs intended to be used in printed text, rather than customizing them to make sense in the context of keyboard legends, and as a result the stroke widths, glyph sizes, etc. are all over the map. The previous Apple laptop legend designs seem much more careful and consistent. I think these might actually be the least carefully done keycap legends on any Apple keyboard since the M0110. For all that some people here dislike like the Condensed Oblique Univers of the late 80s / early 90s, everything else about the legend design was done with careful attention to detail.

Using smaller outlined glyphs for the various functions like media controls, volume, brightness, etc. makes them all less distinguishable and less legible.

Interesting how they reversed the text alignment on the bottom row. I like the old one marginally better, but it’s not really a big deal.

I can’t imagine there’s any real positive advantage of the larger keytop size and reduced space between keys. The old ones seemed pretty reasonably sized/spaced, but I wouldn’t even mind slightly more space between keys than those, I think.

The bottom row, including the spacebar, seems to not be quite as wide as on the old keyboard. (Personally I think it would benefit by being an extra ~5 millimeters wider. An extra wide spacebar makes quite a nice improvement in typing comfort.

Extra long escape is kind of an interesting change. Might be nice, even though the trade-off is squeezing the F keys.

I’m definitely not a fan of the new left/right arrows. The little gaps in the old version are really helpful for locating the arrow cluster.

Overall a lot of this new design looks like it was rushed out by some interns.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:34:21 by jacobolus »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:11:34 »
Note also that the bottom row is not as high as on the old keyboard. That means that the up/down arrow keys are smaller.

The PS/2 connectors used on Wintel PCs were a joke. Totally restart your computer to plug in a new keyboard? Are you ****ing kidding me?
ADB wasn't without problems either. Woz intended it to be hot-swapped but not every implementation supported it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:14:08 by Findecanor »

Offline rush340

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:10:09 »

Whaaa...  Are you talking about USB-C? That's the most exciting thing about it!

I can't wait until I can plug a USB cable in upside down or backwards and not worry about having the right USB A, B, Mini, Micro, WTF, etc cable.  Being able to use it for network, video, and power is also amazing.  Adapters will become dirt cheap once non-Apple products start using it.

It is disappointing that it only has one port, but I'm not planning on buying it anyways, just excited about that it's ushering USB-C in.

Offline Altis

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:21:49 »

I can't wait until I can plug a USB cable in upside down or backwards and not worry about having the right USB A, B, Mini, Micro, WTF, etc cable.  Being able to use it for network, video, and power is also amazing.  Adapters will become dirt cheap once non-Apple products start using it.

It is disappointing that it only has one port, but I'm not planning on buying it anyways, just excited about that it's ushering USB-C in.

It's very handy for docking. One connector and you have power, USB devices, and monitor. I very much like the idea of that, though I honestly wonder whether I'd bother docking a laptop with a Core M processor (strangely mixed with 8GB of RAM). We shall see what the performance ends up being on this thing.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:39:09 »
Where do you think half their revenue comes from :p

For many years, other half of their income came from selling $30 rubber bands to iPhone 4 owners who, according to Steve Jobs, aren't smart enough to know how to hold a phone properly.

It will be interesting to see what sort of patent litigation arises out of Apple and WayTools both having "butterfly" style switches.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:41:00 by derezzed »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:41:00 »
I can’t wait until every phone, camera, keyboard, drawing tablet, microphone, MIDI instrument, flash storage stick, printer, projector, car/airplane power jack, LED desk lamp, remote control car, etc. uses the same tiny reversible connector. It’s going to be amazing.

Offline tribade

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 01:13:45 »
I'm interested to see if these switches are any good.  I've been a life-long apple fan so it's hard to imagine my life with a windows laptop but if this keyboard is really that ****ty then it might be the last straw.  Keyboards have become increasingly important to me thank to you *******s  :p
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline tbc

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 01:30:33 »

It's very handy for docking. One connector and you have power, USB devices, and monitor. I very much like the idea of that, though I honestly wonder whether I'd bother docking a laptop with a Core M processor (strangely mixed with 8GB of RAM). We shall see what the performance ends up being on this thing.

when you have less performance, having ram actually becomes more important.  it allows you to do more things in parallel, giving you he impression of overall 'fasterness'

also keep in mind that a core M is going to be more powerful than core 2 duos (if i did the numbers in my head correctly).
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 01:31:37 »
They’re using a different typeface for the legends:
Show Image

Wait, no fvcking way. They actually ended up going with the ridiculous fat arrow keys?

Now I think about, it's not so bad practically but aesthetically it's a bit odd.

TBH the main issue with the new design is the single port. Practically thread worthy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 02:14:46 by Coreda »

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 01:54:27 »
Totally restart your computer to plug in a new keyboard? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Hotswapping PS/2 works fine on Debian. I even did it just now to check.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 01:58:21 »
Hotswapping PS/2 works fine on Debian. I even did it just now to check.
Did you try it in ~1985–1995 on DOS or Windows 3.1, the time-frame and operating systems relevant for comparisons vs. ADB?
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 02:01:21 by jacobolus »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 02:51:10 »
Hotswapping PS/2 is bad not just because of missing OS support but because it could damage some motherboards.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:34:19 »
the fat left/right arrow keys are always the worst on the laptop keyboard, one of the reason I like the old MB's keyboard, and now they **** it up

Anyway I don't put much hope in a keyboard with a travel distance of 1mm, I'd rather have a solid surface to easily put my HHKB on
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline mecano

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:48:14 »
Dear Apple,

Thanks,
Every Mac user

I think you mean "3% of Mac users" outside the echo chamber of this forum.

Well, okay. Maybe not the solid top option... ;)

A keyboard dock that would be cool.
What are they waiting for to put OLED keyboard in these?

I can’t wait until every phone, camera, keyboard, drawing tablet, microphone, MIDI instrument, flash storage stick, printer, projector, car/airplane power jack, LED desk lamp, remote control car, etc. uses the same tiny reversible connector. It’s going to be amazing.
What do you mean? Can this connector carry both DC and data at same time? Can you hook usb devices, thunderbolt or whatever display, hard drives, audio interface all running together without suffering delays? It's ok for an ultra portable fashionable computer that will never see much more than it power brick in it life or a SD card reader twice upon a time but then…
Unified connector in it form factor is a nice idea though.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 05:38:06 »

Um... actually I believe he was referring to all the proprietary Apple connectors / protocols. I can personally attest to the fact that they are a real PITA for anyone developing a peripheral. ADB, 30-pin dock connector, Lightning, etc. are all proprietary and you have to pay to use them if you develop a peripheral for Apple devices. They also integrated FireWire instead of USB when USB started to become popular and only conceded to adding USB ports when it started to become ubiquitous.

I really applaud the use of the USB-C connector, but they're not the first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N1

I wonder if they'll replace the Lightning connector on the iPhones and iPads with USB-C. If they do, it'll be a refreshing dose of reason and common sense for them, but I think they're making too much money from peripheral manufacturers who have to pay them $4 per device that has a Lightning connector.

Anyway, back on topic. I have never felt a steel dome button I like the feel of. They're all a bit like baby food jar lids, "Click-tock", so I doubt this board will feel very good to type on. I suspect it will also not be very kind to fingers. Many phone keyboards (Blackberry, etc) are metal dome.... Of course, being Apple, I'm sure they've made it at least a little better than some of those, but the technology simply does not offer much in the way of tuning the feel.

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 07:02:52 »
Um... actually I believe he was referring to all the proprietary Apple connectors / protocols. I can personally attest to the fact that they are a real PITA for anyone developing a peripheral. ADB, 30-pin dock connector, Lightning, etc. are all proprietary and you have to pay to use them if you develop a peripheral for Apple devices. They also integrated FireWire instead of USB when USB started to become popular and only conceded to adding USB ports when it started to become ubiquitous.

I really applaud the use of the USB-C connector, but they're not the first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N1

I wonder if they'll replace the Lightning connector on the iPhones and iPads with USB-C. If they do, it'll be a refreshing dose of reason and common sense for them, but I thnk they're making too much money from peripheral manufacturers who have to pay them $4 per device that has a Lightning connector.

Changing up the connector is a great way for Apple to make some cash money when they force you to buy new adapters or the peripheral manufacturers that have to pay Apple for each device.

Anyways, it's rubber dome.  Meh.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Salaryman Ryan

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 07:36:40 »
According to the Verge:

"To make it that thin, Apple had to make some adjustments, starting with the keyboard. It takes a little getting used to, since it doesn't really feel like any standard MacBook keyboard I've used. Although Apple says that it has created an all new butterfly mechanism to make typing feel great, the keys felt fairly stiff to me, with such little travel that I wasn't sure if I was really typing. It's as close to typing on a glass tablet screen as you'll get with physical keys, and you have to rely on autocorrect just as much when you're going really fast. I imagine I could get used to it with just a little bit of time, though."

I still would like to try it myself but based on this first impression, not sure if I'm going to like it.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 07:54:05 »

Nope, it's metal dome.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:54:19 »
Dear apple please start using Topre switches.

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:58:00 »

Nope, it's metal dome.

Yep, I'll be interested in trying these out just to see how they feel. I think the key travel will be too short for comfort, and the longevity might be pretty bad.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:56:59 »
Anyway, back on topic. I have never felt a steel dome button I like the feel of. They're all a bit like baby food jar lids, "Click-tock", so I doubt this board will feel very good to type on. I suspect it will also not be very kind to fingers. Many phone keyboards (Blackberry, etc) are metal dome.... Of course, being Apple, I'm sure they've made it at least a little better than some of those, but the technology simply does not offer much in the way of tuning the feel.
You should try IBM beam spring switches sometime. Not exactly a dome shape, but same basic idea.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:51:00 »
Yep, I'll be interested in trying these out just to see how they feel. I think the key travel will be too short for comfort, and the longevity might be pretty bad.

Yeah, one review I read said the travel was really low (which is saying something, compared to the current-generation of switches). I'll have to try it myself, but it sounds kind of awful:

Although Apple says that it has created an all new butterfly mechanism to make typing feel great, the keys felt fairly stiff to me, with such little travel that I wasn't sure if I was really typing. It's as close to typing on a glass tablet screen as you'll get with physical keys, and you have to rely on autocorrect just as much when you're going really fast. I imagine I could get used to it with just a little bit of time, though.

Yuck. I definitely don't get the obsession with thin-ness here. Lightness is nice, but why not trade a few fractions of an inch and a few ounces for some more key travel and maybe putting back in some of the ports they stripped out. *sigh*
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 11:11:47 by dchadwick »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 11:27:21 »
I can't imagine how typing on metal domes for hours on end wouldn't be terrible for your finger joints. Lots of force to start, then very little resistance through the travel, then a really hard bottom.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:36:31 »

Yuck. I definitely don't get the obsession with thin-ness here. Lightness is nice, but why not trade a few fractions of an inch and a few ounces for some more key travel and maybe putting back in some of the ports they stripped out. *sigh*

Most of Apple's consumers probably don't give a damn about the feel of the keyboard, and are more concerned with other factors of the device.  So lightness, thinness, portability are more important than typing feel.

What I don't get is the single port idea.  Could you at least give me two ports so I can charge and use another peripheral at the same time?  I know there are adapters that expand to multiple ports, but those are limited at the moment.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:45:20 »
What I don't get is the single port idea.  Could you at least give me two ports so I can charge and use another peripheral at the same time?  I know there are adapters that expand to multiple ports, but those are limited at the moment.

This laptop isn't targeted at people who need more ports. Its target is pure portability. If you need extra ports, pack a usb-c hub or $20 adapter

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:45:26 »
What I don't get is the single port idea.  Could you at least give me two ports so I can charge and use another peripheral at the same time?
Not without making the whole laptop bigger.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:46:02 »
There will also probably be dual-purpose USB-C charging hubs that will provide extra ports while charging the laptop as well.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:10:13 »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:43:29 »
Most of Apple's consumers probably don't give a damn about the feel of the keyboard, and are more concerned with other factors of the device.  So lightness, thinness, portability are more important than typing feel.
I'm one of their consumers and I type on my Macbook Air a LOT, and I know a lot of people who do the same. It's not a terrible keyboard, honestly. I'm reserving judgement on the new one until I try it, but if that guy is right it sounds kind of bad.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:49:24 »
USB Type-C connectors are physically inferior to the Lightning connector in at least one major sense. The female receptacle makes use of a fragile tongue. In contrast, the Lightning male connector is itself the tongue.

Also a reminder that Lightning is just a reconfigurable connector and not a serial bus.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:53:59 by Eugene »