Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 11066 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Duke Nukem Forever
« on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 18:36:26 »
Coming out in less than 2 weeks now! Anyone played the demo yet? I did and was pleased overall, although it was way too short.

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 18:52:00 »
Nah I got it when I bought Borderlands. Which is a fun game btw.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 19:20:54 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;355680
Coming out in less than 2 weeks now! Anyone played the demo yet? I did and was pleased overall, although it was way too short.

I played it on a friend's laptop and while it looks ok, I didn't like the fact that you only have 2 weapons available at any given time.  I missed the old Duke where you have abundant choice of weapons available at all time (rocket launcher, shrink gun, etc).

Anyway, I pre-ordered it on Steamed so can't wait to get it.  This game is old-school.  I used to play it in DOS box. lol
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2011, 19:25:07 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 19:24:03 »
Oh yea...I forgot, that is kinda stupid with the weapons.

Oh well, I've been waiting for this game for 12 years so it better be good!

Offline curzen

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 23:14:00 »
After the decade as vaporware I just can't bring myself to care about that game anymore. swtor's eternal 'in development' status is doing the same to that game for me. Patiently waiting for Rage though.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 00:21:53 »
Quote from: reaper~;355691
I played it on a friend's laptop and while it looks ok, I didn't like the fact that you only have 2 weapons available at any given time.  I missed the old Duke where you have abundant choice of weapons available at all time (rocket launcher, shrink gun, etc).

Anyway, I pre-ordered it on Steamed so can't wait to get it.  This game is old-school.  I used to play it in DOS box. lol

This is one of those times when I think the reason truly at fault here is that they are bringing it out for console. I admit it would be awful to have to scroll through weapons with 1 button when you have 10 or so, but I really miss doing that years ago oldschool games. Just having the most overpowered badass weapons you can get and switching through them merrily as you blow an assortment of random enemies up.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline Wallach

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 05:31:08 »
Quote from: Hydroid;355773
This is one of those times when I think the reason truly at fault here is that they are bringing it out for console. I admit it would be awful to have to scroll through weapons with 1 button when you have 10 or so, but I really miss doing that years ago oldschool games. Just having the most overpowered badass weapons you can get and switching through them merrily as you blow an assortment of random enemies up.

It's got nothing to do with consoles, really. That function of the game was in pretty much from the start, which was back when 3D Realms had no plans of putting Duke on consoles. Gearbox actually thought about changing it (and I suspect after all the fan feedback to the demo may still be considering it at least as a post-launch patch option) but decided to stick with it because so much of the game development was done (and not really theirs) that they didn't want to really change anything they didn't have to.

Offline Hydroid

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 08:22:38 »
Quote from: Wallach;355810
It's got nothing to do with consoles, really. That function of the game was in pretty much from the start, which was back when 3D Realms had no plans of putting Duke on consoles. Gearbox actually thought about changing it (and I suspect after all the fan feedback to the demo may still be considering it at least as a post-launch patch option) but decided to stick with it because so much of the game development was done (and not really theirs) that they didn't want to really change anything they didn't have to.

Then what would motivate them to go to a 2 weapon system? Any game I'd be forgiving, but Duke Nukem? Honestly.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 08:46:45 »
I had a feeling that a lot of what was done a long time ago was kept. The game has kind of a "patch-y" feeling to it (like Moogle's patch kit is probably going to be). Some parts of the game look very new - while others like fairly old with some new-ish bits added in (maybe better graphics, but that's about it).

Offline Wallach

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 09:32:24 »
Quote from: Hydroid;355824
Then what would motivate them to go to a 2 weapon system? Any game I'd be forgiving, but Duke Nukem? Honestly.

Right now, I get the feeling nobody knows except the ex-3DR folks. It's probably been the number 1 feedback complaint for the demo, so hopefully Gearbox does something about it.

Offline Wallach

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 09:51:36 »
George Broussard apparently wants to prove me wrong, actually:

Quote from: George Broussard
Except dnf uses the dpad for items like holoduke, duke vision, etc. There are only so many buttons. Add to that, that consoles represent 70% of game sales today, and that the two weapon scheme has worked and been STD since halo in 2001 and it's really not an issue.

The levels have weapons spread all over them. It's actually good gameplay to decide what to carry at any given time. Choices and consequence are good things in a game. I don't personally think it's good to carry 10 guns anymore, but that opinion is made irrelevant by the existence of consoles. It's not really worth the dev effort to support two different weapon switch schemes for pc vs controller, to say nothing of level and gameplay balance if one version of the game let's you carry 10 guns, and another, 2. The levels were all balanced with ample weapon drops and caches.

In the grand scheme of playing the full game it's really not a big deal.

Yes, the original game let you carry all weapons, but you do adapt to modern standards in some areas.

Grooossssssss.

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 10:15:50 »
That's freaking stupid.

Offline Twitchy

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 12:59:13 »
I don't see why the blame is placed on consoles, I never had difficulty switching weapons on console shooters before Halo CE. Besides, I thought that one of the benefits of a two weapon set up was that it forces the player to consider the weapons that they carry. Not just being able to carry every weapon that you could ever need seems like a step forward in terms of gameplay to me.
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 16:22:24 »
Console gaming = ewwwwwww.

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 17:20:40 »
I can play pretty much anything I want on mine. Buy or build one fast enough and you don't need to upgrade for 3-5 years.

Which you'll likely be doing anyway, so buying consoles on top of that makes no sense.

Offline benis

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 20:31:44 »
Lol, this game won't actually come out fyi.

Offline Hydroid

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 21:09:59 »
Quote from: Wallach;355846
George Broussard apparently wants to prove me wrong, actually:

Grooossssssss.

Hmm, they mention that its a good idea to make you "think" about what you want to carry. I beg to differ, its just going to make the more "all-rounder" weapons as the obvious standard. And IIRC when games allowed you to carry 10 weapons they used to limit ammo, so you'd still have to be careful to make sure you are using the right weapon for each enemy type. While fun, you'd never use an RPG on your average enemy because you wanted to save the 5 or so RPG rockets you found in the level for the boss, and then you'd finish him off with a chain gun or something. In my honest opinion the only reason people are looking forward to this game is because its been in development for so long that people wanted a real throwback to the old school shooters. Their potential customer base is either the 'nostalgia' crowd or else people who just want it because the former crowd are looking forward to it so much. So honestly, screw modern shooter conventions and make the people who really want the game happy. If they had released this game now, without any previous Duke Nukem titles in history it wouldn't get much attention or hype in my opinion. Its popular because people loved what the original ones had in their day and now people want to experience that again. Otherwise it just blends into a mist of other generic shooters.

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 21:15:27 »
Let's just say that the demo ends with 2 strippers in schoolgirl outfits "doing something" to Duke.

And they weren't chewing bubble gum!

Offline HaveANiceDay

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 21:22:07 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;356086
Let's just say that the demo ends with 2 strippers in schoolgirl outfits "doing something" to Duke.

And they weren't chewing bubble gum!

I guess they came to suck on Big Duke and chew bubblegun.
And they were all out of gum.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline curzen

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 21:59:20 »
Quote from: haveaniceday;356089
i guess they came to suck on big duke and chew bubblegun.
And they were all out of gum.

sleep. Obey. Watch tv.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline Wallach

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 00:16:02 »
Quote from: ripster;355933
I'm glad to hear that it is optimized for the Console version.

That's what I was planning on buying anyway.

PS3 rulez!
http://www.bargaincell.com/images/products_large/thirdparty/dnh/tp011592.jpg

Click on "Balls Of Steel" in my sig for accompanying sound effects.

In a strange twist, the game actually runs like complete garbage on both consoles. Duke wins, everyone else loses.

Offline HaveANiceDay

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 09:45:37 »
I don't care about the game that much. I'm getting the balls of steel edition for the Carpe Nukem bust alone!

Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline sinis

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 17:48:53 »
since crysis 2 was a that big disappointment for a fullprice game, i will wait a loooong time to buy the next one. Expecially when the multiplayer mode is not "proven" to be fun. crysis multiplayer is a pain in the a$$. And in dukes case it seems they are doing the multiplayer-mode as a DLC. wtf? even more expensive?
If its fun to play I wouldnt bother about DX9, but I doubt it will be more fun than battlefield bc2 or bf3. which has a lot more tactics and teamplay going on. so waiting on this one.

Offline sinis

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 17:50:00 »
double post, sry
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 June 2011, 20:01:40 by sinis »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 19:50:25 »
Quote from: sinis;356484
in dukes case it seems they are doing the multiplayer-mode as a DLC. wtf? even more expensive?

I'm thinking this may be another anti-pirate strategy.  We'll see how that works out.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sinis

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 22:10:29 »
its out for sale and gets ridiculously good reputation

Offline audioave10

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:41:31 »
I'll eventually buy it just for the one liners. I never had a Duke game before.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:53:44 »
You should play Duke Nukem 3D first. It's a classic.

Offline audioave10

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 11:03:01 »
I don't think I could handle a 1998 game anymore...too spoiled.
Cherry G80-3000/Blues

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 11:56:10 »
I also 2nd playing Duke 3d first. It is funnier than the new one. There are some updated 'high res' texture packs available for duke 3d as well. While its not going to make it look like a new game, it does do wonders. Hell you can even get it for free from 3d realms site for the 'beta' version, then grab eduke32 (so you can play it in windows rather than dos) and the high res pack.

I'm only a tiny bit into DNF right now, to the first mothership battle. But it has been pretty fun so far.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 17:12:14 »
Preordered it 1998, got it 2 days ago...
Its still Duke, but it lacks a lot things which made DN3d great :/

Offline Mikelittoris

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 20:00:14 »
Quote from: ripster;356082
What's with all 2 weapon limit talk?

I just want to know how were the strippers in the demo.

Can't get better than this!
IBM Model M SSK -91 (Bolt moded), Geekhack ESC, RGB modifiers and lt blue WASD cluster.
IBM Model M -95
IBM Model N2 -94
IBM Model F -85 (122-key Terminal) Using a Teensy with Soarer\'s adapter code.

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 21:25:22 »
Mmmm...pixels...

Offline audioave10

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 22:13:19 »
I may buy it just for the boobs. That's a good selling point.

Cherry G80-3000/Blues

Offline intealls

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 22:54:29 »
Quote from: ripster;355933
I'm glad to hear that it is optimized for the Console version.

lolwut? I've finished both the 360 and PC version. The 360 version was terrible, sometimes the FPS drops down to about 5-10, making the game virtually unplayable. Loading times on the 360 version were waaay too long as well. Also, the texture resolution has been significantly reduced.

The PC version kicks ass though, and I haven't even got that powerful of a rig (C2D 3.5, ATI 5770).

Offline Ekaros

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 05:34:57 »
It did well on reviews...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline intealls

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 06:57:06 »
Quote from: Ekaros;360509
It did well on reviews...

What? If you're not being ironic and mean that the 360 version is not inferior, I'd say you're wrong.

The metascore of the 360 version is currently 51 (26 reviews), compared to 62 (9 reviews) for the PC version. The PC score will probably decline as well, but you will find an abundance of reviews pointing out the technical problems with the 360 port (IGN, for instance).

Edit: The PS3 version is apparently okay, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-duke-nukem-forever-face-off
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2011, 07:18:06 by intealls »

Offline Ekaros

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 07:25:37 »
Quote from: intealls;360515
What? If you're not being ironic and mean that the 360 version is not inferior, I'd say you're wrong.

The metascore of the 360 version is currently 51 (26 reviews), compared to 62 (9 reviews) for the PC version. The PC score will probably decline as well, but you will find an abundance of reviews pointing out the technical problems with the 360 port (IGN, for instance).

Edit: The PS3 version is apparently okay, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-duke-nukem-forever-face-off

Haven't realy read too many reviews, and didn't play the game...

Also, I was ironic on that remark...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline intealls

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 08:54:03 »
Quote from: Ekaros;360520
Haven't realy read too many reviews, and didn't play the game...

Also, I was ironic on that remark...

Well, go play it then. If you're into practically brain-dead shooters (I personally love 'em) you'll be in for a treat.

Offline Mazora

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 10:35:16 »
imma play this game on my PC likea real badass
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 21:39:00 »
This game isn't getting the best reviews.

Anyone played it yet? I'm probably going to wait for a price reduction before buying.

Offline intealls

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 22:04:01 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;362113
This game isn't getting the best reviews.

Anyone played it yet? I'm probably going to wait for a price reduction before buying.

It's not really great, but the shooting mechanics are kind of fun. I liked it, but it wasn't worth 49€. You might be able to look past many of the game's problems if you enjoyed playing Duke Nukem 3D all those years ago.

Offline Chaoticmass

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 22:08:17 »
Okay, I played Duke Nukem 3D back when it was new and let me tell you-- IT WAS AWESOME!

Besides Duke there was Doom and Wolfenstein, and neither of those had a JET PACK. You couldn't even jump or look up and down!

Duke Nukem had pixelated boobies!

It had really detailed levels that were realistic and fun to explore. You could interact with things in the levels. There were subways you could ride, conveyor belts, doors, cabinets, air ducts, toilets, pool tables (with pool balls you could move), and on and on. Compared to the totally static worlds of Doom it was like like a virtual reality. Doom and later Quake would be more popular, but Duke had the most interesting game engine. Once you snagged a copy of BUILD and could make your own levels it was pure creative bliss.

Of course no sequel could ever recreate that magic. I always felt that Duke Nukem Forever was always delayed because 3D Realms wanted the sequel to be as big of a game changer as the move from 2D side scroller to 3D first person was-- an impossible task.

Offline audioave10

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 23:16:55 »
I guess I'll wait fot the bargain bin price and add it to the collection. Its not doing that good.
Cherry G80-3000/Blues

Offline REVENGE

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 08:41:17 »
Game sucks balls of steel. Engine was branched from Unreal Engine 2 and image quality suffers while running slowly. Gameplay itself is basically DN3D with more shenanigans. And boobs. But the boobs don't look very good, so that's another turn off.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Mazora

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 09:04:00 »
Quote from: REVENGE;362324
Game sucks balls of steel. Engine was branched from Unreal Engine 2 and image quality suffers while running slowly. Gameplay itself is basically DN3D with more shenanigans. And boobs. But the boobs don't look very good, so that's another turn off.

I'm working 60 hrs per week and dreaming of DNF when I'll be off: you ruined my day. But tks for the heads up about how sucky is the game :(
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline keyboardlover

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 09:07:59 »
I only hope that "it's so bad it's good".
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2011, 12:51:01 by keyboardlover »

Offline pitashen

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 12:46:08 »
Tried it. Couldn't stand playing more than 10 min. Only hardcore fans would stand a chance of liking it.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline HaveANiceDay

Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 17 June 2011, 19:14:40 »
It's not a good game by today's standards. I'm still gonna finish it, because of the stippers and the Holsom Twins

Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!