Author Topic: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set  (Read 208553 times)

Offline Zanduby

I was already swooning over this set, but putting in the Aurebesh font is what triggered me. Will you be able to get that printed? Isn't it trademarked?

Offline FuriousGeorge

I agree. Really, really like the Aurebesh, but not sure how feasible it is. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too bad if it's dye subbed DSA, but getting SA legends cut for all of them may be too expensive. Not sure what that runs. Maybe having them front printed like the PETSCII characters on Retro would be a possibility.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Just looked over the renders again. No stepped Caps Lock? You can probably throw that in the Adapter Kit.

There will be, I just haven't updated it yet.

I was already swooning over this set, but putting in the Aurebesh font is what triggered me. Will you be able to get that printed? Isn't it trademarked?

Not sure if it's trademarked.  I have an email sent out.

I agree. Really, really like the Aurebesh, but not sure how feasible it is. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too bad if it's dye subbed DSA, but getting SA legends cut for all of them may be too expensive. Not sure what that runs. Maybe having them front printed like the PETSCII characters on Retro would be a possibility.

They would almost have to be dye sub.  Custom legends would be astronomical. Lol

Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Got some PC colour chips in yesterday, I'll try to get a good pic of the yellow and orange clear ones for you. They're very close to the LEGO colours (although the orange is pehaps a hair lighter) in case that helps you decide.

I like the idea of front pad printed Aurebesh, like the PETSCII from Retro SA. You don't have to limit it to alphas, either, you can do a full set of Aurebesh like Ivan did (although I believe one or two symbols are incorrect):

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Niomosy

Use one of the freely available Aurebesh fonts?  Plenty of them to chose from. 

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Got some PC colour chips in yesterday, I'll try to get a good pic of the yellow and orange clear ones for you. They're very close to the LEGO colours (although the orange is pehaps a hair lighter) in case that helps you decide.

I like the idea of front pad printed Aurebesh, like the PETSCII from Retro SA. You don't have to limit it to alphas, either, you can do a full set of Aurebesh like Ivan did (although I believe one or two symbols are incorrect):

Show Image

Thanks Oobly, that would be much appreciated.  I know the pilots had at least 2 variations of visors, yellow and orange.  Well, the orange is more of an amber color so I'll have to wait and see what that looks like.  The yellow looked like a decent match. 

I guess I'll wait and do a poll on the aurebesh idea.  If enough people want it, I'll go from there on either the alpha's or a full set.  I wasn't really feeling some of the symbols in full aurebesh.  I do really like the look of the arrows in that set, though.

Use one of the freely available Aurebesh fonts?  Plenty of them to chose from.

We'll see what happens.  I'm still not sure if that is a trademarked font or not.  I'm waiting to hear back.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 05:49:02 by Pwner »

Offline Niomosy

We'll see what happens.  I'm still not sure if that is a trademarked font or not.  I'm waiting to hear back.

Not positive that's going to be an issue.

http://nortonlawcorp.com/can-i-trademark-it/trademark-a-font/
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=unesco_font_lic

So you might need to be careful but so long as you're not buying a commercial package of Auberesh fonts, it seems to be okay.  Given the number of freely available versions online, it seems like there are options to use while avoiding issues.  Worst case, you end up running it by an attorney as well.

Curious to see if they actually reply or not, though.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards

Not positive that's going to be an issue.

http://nortonlawcorp.com/can-i-trademark-it/trademark-a-font/
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=unesco_font_lic

So you might need to be careful but so long as you're not buying a commercial package of Auberesh fonts, it seems to be okay.  Given the number of freely available versions online, it seems like there are options to use while avoiding issues.  Worst case, you end up running it by an attorney as well.

Curious to see if they actually reply or not, though.

I have the contact info for the person in charge of the licensing/use of LucasFilm properties.  Hopefully they will actually reply and not just blow off my email.  Lol

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Here's a quick pic showing most of the Signature Plastics clear polycarbonate colours (there's also a sort of pinky red / rose clear colour which isn't in the pic) along with the similar LEGO colours for reference. I couldn't get enough light on the scene so it's taken with the built-in flash, but it's pretty accurate to how they look in real life. The yellow is a very little darker than the LEGO one, but the orange is almost exact.

116463-0

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline MikeTheTiger

Here's a quick pic showing most of the Signature Plastics clear polycarbonate colours (there's also a sort of pinky red / rose clear colour which isn't in the pic) along with the similar LEGO colours for reference. I couldn't get enough light on the scene so it's taken with the built-in flash, but it's pretty accurate to how they look in real life. The yellow is a very little darker than the LEGO one, but the orange is almost exact.

(Attachment Link)

Is this in the right spot? Lol

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards

(Attachment Link)

Yes.  I'm working on some ideas to simulate the helmet visor in some way.  Oobly posted those to show me the colors of the polycarb caps.

Thanks again Oobly, I appreciate it!

Offline MikeTheTiger

(Attachment Link)

Yes.  I'm working on some ideas to simulate the helmet visor in some way.  Oobly posted those to show me the colors of the polycarb caps.

Thanks again Oobly, I appreciate it!

Oh, l see. I'm following both threads and anxiously awaiting both! ;)

Offline punkpc

This looks amazing! Count me in for these. I would like to see this in a classic profile like Cherry (GMK or DCS) and thank you for having the CMD / OPT keys for us Mac users.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
So some bad news and good news..

Bad news:  I've been attempting to contact Lucas/Disney about licensing some images and that's been darn near hopeless.  I will be making another attempt, but it's been close to 2 months since their last reply.  Regardless, I'm moving forward with or without them, which brings me to..

Good news:  After taking a bit of time to sit back and think, I've gone back to my initial colorway with a bit of a change.  I've switched to SP's 'ON' from 'OAS' for the orange, which is a deeper more redish orange and I've ditched the gray for a white/ slightly off white color.  These decisions were based off an image of Poe Dameron from Episode VII here.  I plan on ordering some chips from SP to be sure, but personally I haven't been happier with the way the set looks so far.  I feel it really captures the theme I was going for.

Thanks to everyone that's been following along and providing feedback.  :thumb:

Offline Niomosy

That orange cap / white alpha looks awesome.  That alone makes it look fantastic.

For Aurebesh (sp?), text can't be protected.  Of course, this is Disney we're talking about.  Personally, I'm not overly concerned about that as I'd want the standard legends but I'm sure a lot of others would love that font.  If possibly you might try to find a legal friend that can chime in on the font bit but given the availability of them on the internet combined with the US copyright office stating explicitly that they're uncopyrightable, there's a fair chance it's okay.  Still, I'm sure you'd rather a strong level of certainty on this.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
That orange cap / white alpha looks awesome.  That alone makes it look fantastic.

For Aurebesh (sp?), text can't be protected.  Of course, this is Disney we're talking about.  Personally, I'm not overly concerned about that as I'd want the standard legends but I'm sure a lot of others would love that font.  If possibly you might try to find a legal friend that can chime in on the font bit but given the availability of them on the internet combined with the US copyright office stating explicitly that they're uncopyrightable, there's a fair chance it's okay.  Still, I'm sure you'd rather a strong level of certainty on this.

As far as I'm aware typefaces can't be copyrighted in the United States at least, elsewhere I'm not entirely sure.  There has also been at least one other set done by Ivan that had the Aurebesh text on it.  Oobly posted that one in this thread, iirc.

Offline Zanduby

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA ABS set [updated 1.21.16]
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 07:33:07 »
Glad to see this is still a go! Great work on the Aurebesh as well. Will there be homing keys for that add on as well?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 12:57:28 »
Would there be a reversed option? So Orange mods and White alphas?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:36:25 »
Glad to see this is still a go! Great work on the Aurebesh as well. Will there be homing keys for that add on as well?

Added F and J homing keys.

I thought about breaking alphas and mods in to 2 separate sets each, with white and orange being offered for both, I was just worried about MOQ.  If this set somehow draws a boat load of interest and that becomes a commonly requested thing, I will do that.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:38:51 »
I replaced the old 'Gamer kit' with a set based off the pilots chestpack.  I also added a rough mockup for an ergodox kit.

Question for those interested: Is sculpted the way to go for SA sets now or is there still interest in all R3 sets?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:39:45 »

I thought about breaking alphas and mods in to 2 separate sets each, with white and orange being offered for both, I was just worried about MOQ.  If this set somehow draws a boat load of interest and that becomes a commonly requested thing, I will do that.

Nice, dawg. Glad to see this back in action!

Offline yannickg

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:56:27 »
Don't care much for Star Wars stuff but that orange and white theme is awesome!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:58:51 »

Could keep them together but just sell a reversed version of the whole main kit?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:18:55 »
Don't care much for Star Wars stuff

Could keep them together but just sell a reversed version of the whole main kit?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:19:51 »
Don't care much for Star Wars stuff

Show Image

Show Image

Yup. I'm down for that.

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:38:32 »

Sweet!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:35:26 »
Looks like there's two sets working up here.  I see some orange cap / white legend fans and white cap / orange legend fans.  Not a bad place to be, really.  There's always the concern of MoQ with regard to running multiple options like that but I recall at least one or two sets doing something like that (didn't Penumbra offer two separate alpha options or am I not remembering that correctly?)

Offline lashiel

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:38:35 »
Looks like there's two sets working up here.  I see some orange cap / white legend fans and white cap / orange legend fans.  Not a bad place to be, really.  There's always the concern of MoQ with regard to running multiple options like that but I recall at least one or two sets doing something like that (didn't Penumbra offer two separate alpha options or am I not remembering that correctly?)

Penumbra did, as did the more recent Carbon.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:50:41 »
So much potential for novelites, I'm excited to see what you come up with.  Personally, I'd prefer a dark grey and orange set with no white, however I get it that the white and orange are central to the rebel colours so I won't try to persuade otherwise.  :p
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:05:20 »

Penumbra did, as did the more recent Carbon.

I haven't paid much attention to the Carbon set but it's good to know two sets have done that thus far.  I thought Penumbra had done it so I'm at least sane on that piece ;)

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 02:58:32 »
Little too bright for me.
pls gief bbv2

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 11:26:31 »
I'd be on this if it were SA or GMK.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:23:39 »
Out of curiosity, what about flipping the modifier colors?  When I was playing around with an orange set, I recall several shades of gray for the caps looking pretty good.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:56:27 »
Out of curiosity, what about flipping the modifier colors?  When I was playing around with an orange set, I recall several shades of gray for the caps looking pretty good.

I tried that last night actually and I think it might be better to just do the Orange alphas but have a choice of either white/black or black/white mods as I think that keeps with the theme quite well. 

It will be SA.  I was planning on a R3 set but sculpted seems to be the way to go now.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 20:53:00 »

I tried that last night actually and I think it might be better to just do the Orange alphas but have a choice of either white/black or black/white mods as I think that keeps with the theme quite well. 

It will be SA.  I was planning on a R3 set but sculpted seems to be the way to go now.

Hmmm, you thinking of NN caps with WA legends?  That could work given the gloves/boots.  I was thinking more the gray as seen on the box along with the straps.  That could work as well. 

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 21:47:11 »

Hmmm, you thinking of NN caps with WA legends?  That could work given the gloves/boots.  I was thinking more the gray as seen on the box along with the straps.  That could work as well.

Yup.  Something like this.  My v1 I had some black blanks for the mods, check that here.  Either way, I'd like to incorporate a bit more black somehow.  Be it shift/enter keys, spacebars something like that.

I used NN on everything up until this version when after looking over some reference pics I tried out GB.  GB works good for the chestbox kit but boots/gloves additions would certainly have to be NN.  I really just need to order some chips from SP and stop trying to guess.  :))

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 05:30:47 »
Hmm..

Offline kurtle107

A couple of other colorways I was messing with:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
when this go to GB bro

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 13:55:31 »
Hmm..

Show Image

That grey and white could make a good empire set

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 01:24:13 »
Hmm..

Show Image

That's nice very nice.  My other thought was playing with GTC caps / WA legends while still trying to get in the darker caps.  Something like this as a thought...

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 22:41:58 »
So Aurebesh is out?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 00:02:56 »
So Aurebesh is out?

There's going to be an added cost associated with it.  You can read up on that in the Yuri IC thread.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 05:57:22 »
So Aurebesh is out?

There's going to be an added cost associated with it.  You can read up on that in the Yuri IC thread.

I intend on making them happen.  How?  I'm not sure.  To be doubleshot, that's about $1400.  Now IF 100 sets sold, that's only $14 each added on [I think, I still need to figure out what's involved with custom molds].  They could be pad printed, but I don't know if that's possible with the rest of the set being doubleshot.  I'll work on that when I get the base of the set near finished.

Also @Niomosy, I was messing around a bit earlier and was thinking about doing something like this:

I think that would be a decent way to incorporate orange, gray, black and white options.  I would probably add in at least a 7u spacebar as well if I don't just do a seperate 'Bars' pack.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 09:48:09 »
this is really cool

thumbs up
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 10:11:37 »
So Aurebesh is out?

I intend on making them happen.  How?  I'm not sure.  To be doubleshot, that's about $1400.  Now IF 100 sets sold, that's only $14 each added on [I think, I still need to figure out what's involved with custom molds].  They could be pad printed, but I don't know if that's possible with the rest of the set being doubleshot.  I'll work on that when I get the base of the set near finished.

I have the SA Retro set with front printed PETSCII characters and they turned out great. That may be a less expensive option to explore. Doubleshot Aurebesh would be ideal, however, and I'm definitely in for that. I'm not sure how much of a pain it is to run it through Massdrop, but I suspect if you did it through them there would be enough orders to spread the legend cost around quite a bit.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:01:46 »
So Aurebesh is out?

Also @Niomosy, I was messing around a bit earlier and was thinking about doing something like this:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I think that would be a decent way to incorporate orange, gray, black and white options.  I would probably add in at least a 7u spacebar as well if I don't just do a seperate 'Bars' pack.

Wow, that's a nice combination there for people.  Both white/black and light gray/black are popular choices so it covers a lot of ground.  It will be interesting to see which modifiers group ends up more popular.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 16:03:56 »
It is definitely a sweet looking set. I personally love the Aurebesh lettering. Just ordered the Elven set off of Massdrop. I know what the characters look like, so the new weird ideas really catch my attention. Either way a lovely set.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 14:47:14 »
this is really cool

thumbs up

Thank you!

So Aurebesh is out?

I have the SA Retro set with front printed PETSCII characters and they turned out great. That may be a less expensive option to explore. Doubleshot Aurebesh would be ideal, however, and I'm definitely in for that. I'm not sure how much of a pain it is to run it through Massdrop, but I suspect if you did it through them there would be enough orders to spread the legend cost around quite a bit.

I would honestly prefer the set to be doubleshot as well.  We'll see what happens.  Massdrop or PMK will probably be the goal.  I simply don't have the time or experience for a self ran gb, plus whatever is going on with the SA prices currently.

So Aurebesh is out?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow, that's a nice combination there for people.  Both white/black and light gray/black are popular choices so it covers a lot of ground.  It will be interesting to see which modifiers group ends up more popular.

It'd be both sets for me, I can't decide. haha

It is definitely a sweet looking set. I personally love the Aurebesh lettering. Just ordered the Elven set off of Massdrop. I know what the characters look like, so the new weird ideas really catch my attention. Either way a lovely set.

Thank you!

Also:

I think I might have to add a full F-row with the orange alpha's now..

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:45:44 »
Nice.  Personally, I'm a bigger fan of that light gray for the mods than the white/black but both look good.  The last pic with everything put together looks solid.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 03:58:37 »
Nice.  Personally, I'm a bigger fan of that light gray for the mods than the white/black but both look good.  The last pic with everything put together looks solid.

A 60% for you.  :-*

OP also updated to add all the recent changes discussed.