Author Topic: [IC] Iceberg DSA-PBT-DS Live on PMK  (Read 28236 times)

Offline primitiveType

[IC] Iceberg DSA-PBT-DS Live on PMK
« on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 21:39:27 »
Hey guys, I don't post a lot on GH but I recently set up an IC on PMK. This is an Icy themed DSA PBT Dye-Sub set. The link is here : http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/iceberg-dsa-ic/

WIP album of different sections
http://imgur.com/a/qo60H

crazy one-cap of my KBLE page:
http://imgur.com/kbHC1Ja

Anyways, this is my first attempt at creating a set after several years of lurking and admiring different sets. I've learned a lot of little things to look out for and scrutinize, and I've also tried to take some risks with this set (although arguably the color scheme is not very risky!). If it doesn't go through, I would at least like to learn from it, perhaps modify it, and try again sometime down the road. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it. There are probably some outdated images in the album, and I'm sure there are sets missing that some would consider mandatory, but I'd appreciate it if you took a look anywho!

pt

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: [IC] Iceberg DSA-PBT-DS Live on PMK
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 21:40:53 »
This is a beautiful set! I have the perfect board in mind for this  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 January 2015, 21:44:16 by drhubblephd »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 06:24:35 »
That's a nice set of colours, quite calming and looks classy. I'm not a fan of DSA profile, though, but the colourway is really nice.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if you're using the SP PBT colours and the online keyboard layout editor, the keytop colour is not accurate. The actual colour is the one shown in the background area around the keycap top. The tops are lighter. So your dyesub legends on the modifiers may not be quite as clear on the real caps as they are on the mockup.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 11:34:53 »
One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if you're using the SP PBT colours and the online keyboard layout editor, the keytop colour is not accurate. The actual colour is the one shown in the background area around the keycap top. The tops are lighter. So your dyesub legends on the modifiers may not be quite as clear on the real caps as they are on the mockup.
Are you sure that the background is more accurate? When I chose my colors, I went off of the color chips on PMK rather than what KBLE showed me, but I was under the impression that the actual color was closer to the top of the cap than the background (and that the background was actually darker than the true color)

Offline Data

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 13:07:01 »
Deskthority also has equivalent sRGB values for SP ABS and PBT chips on their wiki.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_ABS_colours
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_PBT_colours

This is probably more accurate than KBLE or picking colors from SP's photos.

Offline howthegodschill

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 13:13:45 »
I really like this colorway. I gave it a vote.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 13:16:46 »
This looks very similar to the Infinity set that Massdrop had produced through SP -  that was also DSA PBT Dyesub too. I'm not sure what happened on that drop, the comments section looks like there has been little to no updates. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-dye-sublimated-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

I do like that shade of blue. I think it looks really nice.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline justnits

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 18:43:21 »
Hey guys, I don't post a lot on GH but I recently set up an IC on PMK. This is an Icy themed DSA PBT Dye-Sub set. The link is here : http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/iceberg-dsa-ic/

WIP album of different sections
http://imgur.com/a/qo60H

crazy one-cap of my KBLE page:
http://imgur.com/kbHC1Ja

Anyways, this is my first attempt at creating a set after several years of lurking and admiring different sets. I've learned a lot of little things to look out for and scrutinize, and I've also tried to take some risks with this set (although arguably the color scheme is not very risky!). If it doesn't go through, I would at least like to learn from it, perhaps modify it, and try again sometime down the road. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it. There are probably some outdated images in the album, and I'm sure there are sets missing that some would consider mandatory, but I'd appreciate it if you took a look anywho!

pt

that's a nice colour set :)

i see that you have include in alpha-colour for \| key, do you plan to do the same for `~ key?
these will all be in monotone legend? (num row, symbols...)
do you plan to include in mod-colour for the prtscn-pause cluster, insert-pgdn cluster and arrow cluster?

also, since this is dyesub, any special novelty key design? special enter key or backspace key?

btw, this set really reminds me of this..
More

doesn't it?  ;D :)) :p

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 18:48:36 by justnits »
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 02:45:28 »
Deskthority also has equivalent sRGB values for SP ABS and PBT chips on their wiki.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_ABS_colours
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_PBT_colours

This is probably more accurate than KBLE or picking colors from SP's photos.

Yup, these are the most accurate I've been able to find so far. Best reference to use when doing mockups / checking colour combinations.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:30:59 »
That's a nice set of colours, quite calming and looks classy. I'm not a fan of DSA profile, though, but the colourway is really nice.

Alright I made a test based on the rgb values:

I like the outcome of that, and it's not too different from what I imagined (although SP claims that with dye-sub they can't guarantee that exact color anyways).

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:36:46 »

i see that you have include in alpha-colour for \| key, do you plan to do the same for `~ key?
do you plan to include in mod-colour for the prtscn-pause cluster, insert-pgdn cluster and arrow cluster?

also, since this is dyesub, any special novelty key design? special enter key or backspace key?

There should be both alpha and mod colored | and ~ keys in the imgur album.
I'm aiming to have the default set all single legend, one line of text. It was a decision that I made early on to increase the simplicity of the set, and to set it apart from some other sets. I know that might alienate some people, but that's kinda what makes a set really neat and niche. The hard part is balancing that with an MOQ :) so if people absolutely hate it I can make changes. Personally I think it's pretty cool and don't know that I've seen a set like that.

I can include mod-colored six-pack and arrows, no problem. Also I added a novelty cap to the imgur album.

And you're right, but I suppose it's no big coincidence that the Iceberg set reminds you of Ice Climbers!  ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 22:26:50 »
This is like DSA raindrop

neat but DSA is meh in my book
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline justnits

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 07:10:04 »

I'm aiming to have the default set all single legend, one line of text. It was a decision that I made early on to increase the simplicity of the set, and to set it apart from some other sets. I know that might alienate some people, but that's kinda what makes a set really neat and niche. The hard part is balancing that with an MOQ :) so if people absolutely hate it I can make changes. Personally I think it's pretty cool and don't know that I've seen a set like that.

I can include mod-colored six-pack and arrows, no problem. Also I added a novelty cap to the imgur album.

And you're right, but I suppose it's no big coincidence that the Iceberg set reminds you of Ice Climbers!  ;D

throwing some more suggestion;
do you think it's possible for you to include a kit for those who might be interested in dual legend keys for num row and those special symbol keys?
that way it doesn't affect your main design which implements mono-legend.
also, maybe add a 0 and 00 to the numpad kit?

i've voted for your design in PMK IC already  ;D
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue

Offline cseng

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 16:36:33 »
definitely interested.

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:38:24 »

do you think it's possible for you to include a kit for those who might be interested in dual legend keys for num row and those special symbol keys?

I haven't really set up the numpad kit yet (only set it up for full size boards) but that shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the dual legend num-row, I need to think about this a bit. I love the idea of offering both for people but I'm worried about fragmentation. If half like the mono and half like the duo, we might fail MOQ on both. I'll probably include the dual legends kit, but with a group buy I think you have to be careful not to have too many options, for the sake of keeping orders stacked on certain kits. I'm all for allowing people the freedom to choose either way, but I'm not certain it's best for the GB. That being said, I am considering it, and it will be easy to add that.

A lot of the options people request are easy to add but certain ones (depending on how the kits are set up) will canabalize other kits and I don't want the GB to fail just because I offered too many options :(

Offline justnits

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 00:58:14 »

I haven't really set up the numpad kit yet (only set it up for full size boards) but that shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the dual legend num-row, I need to think about this a bit. I love the idea of offering both for people but I'm worried about fragmentation. If half like the mono and half like the duo, we might fail MOQ on both. I'll probably include the dual legends kit, but with a group buy I think you have to be careful not to have too many options, for the sake of keeping orders stacked on certain kits. I'm all for allowing people the freedom to choose either way, but I'm not certain it's best for the GB. That being said, I am considering it, and it will be easy to add that.

A lot of the options people request are easy to add but certain ones (depending on how the kits are set up) will canabalize other kits and I don't want the GB to fail just because I offered too many options :(

my suggestion didn't mean for you to split out the monolegend from your base set (i'm assuming that your base set consists of a full tkl set with monolegend numrow and symbol keys)
just add a separate kit of dual legend for numrow and whatever symbols that you have "monolised" it.
that way, it won't affect your original design of having monolegend numrow and symbols, while ppl still can get dual legend if there's enough order to tip it. i hope i made this clear  ;D

pls dun take my suggestion too seriously or , at the end of the day, you make the decision and i'll still respect and like your design. i'm just suggesting things that i have seen that works well thus far. and yes, i agree on the idea of giving ppl freedom but not too many options is a good safe balance point to satisfy a wide range of ppl's taste and yet achieving the tipping point.  ;D :thumb:
| | | |

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 11:16:22 »

my suggestion didn't mean for you to split out the monolegend from your base set (i'm assuming that your base set consists of a full tkl set with monolegend numrow and symbol keys)
just add a separate kit of dual legend for numrow and whatever symbols that you have "monolised" it.
that way, it won't affect your original design of having monolegend numrow and symbols, while ppl still can get dual legend if there's enough order to tip it. i hope i made this clear  ;D

pls dun take my suggestion too seriously or , at the end of the day, you make the decision and i'll still respect and like your design. i'm just suggesting things that i have seen that works well thus far. and yes, i agree on the idea of giving ppl freedom but not too many options is a good safe balance point to satisfy a wide range of ppl's taste and yet achieving the tipping point.  ;D :thumb:

No you're right, that does make sense. No need to feel like you are going to upset me either  :D
I think I was hesitant to do it that way because I'm often annoyed when a set includes something like a mod-colored f5-f8, and I have to pay extra to get the normal ones. But That's kind of the give and take of creating a buy, and there's no way to please everyone. So it definitely makes more sense to include those as an option.

From the customer's point of view, I'd love to just let them pick so they aren't buying extra caps they won't use, but that goes back to my point above about fragmentation. So doing like you said is a good compromise I think.

EDIT: oh, and I'm not certain that the base set will be a full tkl set- I might do alphanum, mods, and 6-pack/arrow cluster in seperate sets. Since so many people these days are doing custom stuff (or dox), I'd like to make the base set as "base" as possible. What do you guys think of that?
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 January 2015, 11:18:53 by primitiveType »

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:47:43 »
The GB is live... I can't post in Group buys I guess? Anyways, here is the link

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/iceberg-dsa/