Author Topic: [IC] GMK Phantom - GB May 1st 2018  (Read 65013 times)

Offline briano1905

Re: [IC] GMK Phantom
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 02:28:34 »
update 3/10/2018
- kit refined and added novelties
- updated pantone color for the yellowish beige
- vendors announced

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 04:46:14 »
Hey mate just want to say I appreciate the change in the beige color pantone card :) Now it looks awesome and I’ll definitely get one when the GB opens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 06:06:40 »
Yup agreed that the more yellow pantone fits better with the theme and look of the set. The novelties are a bit plain, but it fits very nicely with what you are trying to do. Can't wait for this to hit GB, but hopefully not too soon.

Offline briano1905

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 06:10:42 »
Yup agreed that the more yellow pantone fits better with the theme and look of the set. The novelties are a bit plain, but it fits very nicely with what you are trying to do. Can't wait for this to hit GB, but hopefully not too soon.

yes a lot of gmk sets in the works lately we will definitely keep that in mind when deciding the dates for the GB
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 07:22:55 by briano1905 »

Offline Solotov

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 08:46:36 »
Please make the GB happen asap  ;)

Btw, any chance for 1.5 novelties?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 10:10:15 »
40s kit appears to have 2u and 2.25u spacebars. Any chance to add 2.75u as well since it’s a common 40% space bar size?

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 11:42:27 »
Hey I was wondering, do you think you could add a mask novelty, like the one that The Phantom wears?

Offline RSC

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 12:30:35 »
That's what I was gonna say, you should add two novelties: one for the masked face and another for the ring he has in the comics.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 13:49:44 »
That's what I was gonna say, you should add two novelties: one for the masked face and another for the ring he has in the comics.

The set wasn't inspired from "The Phantom"

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:51:16 »

The set wasn't inspired from "The Phantom"

Fair enough, but it would be cool to have ;)

Offline x86ect

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:59:24 »
So much yes!
Any chance for a beige spacebar?
yes will make a spacebar kit
Any chance for a beige spacebar? :D

Offline briano1905

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 15:03:17 »
So much yes!
Any chance for a beige spacebar?
yes will make a spacebar kit
Any chance for a beige spacebar? :D
sorry adding another spacebar would increase the base kit price by quite a bit. but if theres enough interest for it that could be possible

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:07:27 »
v noice would buy

Offline briano1905

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:05:42 »
guys,
this base kit is looking pretty huge with all the novelties and accents which drive the price up
one option is to make a separate kit for novelties and accents but before i do that i want to hear your guys opinion first. what do you think? yay or nay
yay for seperate kit
nay for huge base kit
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:07:16 by briano1905 »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:27:11 »
guys,
this base kit is looking pretty huge with all the novelties and accents which drive the price up
one option is to make a separate kit for novelties and accents but before i do that i want to hear your guys opinion first. what do you think? yay or nay
yay for seperate kit
nay for huge base kit

nay, and for nay i mean don't add additional suggestions like "please add key X", just be more similar as possible to 9009, Taro, Nautilus for kit, even if this implies to remove some added keys (maybe) 

Keep the accents in the base kit and if the novelties are just 4 include the novelties as well.

Don't add more spacebars tho, if you want to add, spacebar kit is the way to go
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:28:55 by KaosJ »

Offline cldskt

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:09:28 »
guys,
yay for seperate kit
nay for huge base kit

nay, and for nay i mean don't add additional suggestions like "please add key X", just be more similar as possible to 9009, Taro, Nautilus for kit, even if this implies to remove some added keys (maybe) 

Keep the accents in the base kit and if the novelties are just 4 include the novelties as well.

Don't add more spacebars tho, if you want to add, spacebar kit is the way to go

Precisely what I wanted to say. +1

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:36:02 »
I like the base + accents in the same kit.  Don't have a personal preference for novelties.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 18:33:14 »
I think the base kit is good as it is right now. It’s only a little larger than the Nautilus base kit. One question though, is Phantom’s 6u spacebar going to be centered or off-centered?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:58:32 »
Base kit looks pretty mint imo. If 6u spacebar and accents/novelties were kicked to their own kit it wouldn't bother me, especially where you'll need both types of 6u spacebar to make everyone happy anyhow. Maybe a kit of novelties and both 6u spacebars plus the 2.75u/2.25u/1.75u split spacebars.

Offline bball2

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:19:08 »
How will the pricing compare to the Nautilus or Laser kits? I thought the Laser base kit was awesome, lots of keys, not a lot of novelties, but competitively priced at $140 before before any MOQ drops (final price was $110):

https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/massdrop-x-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set/Cyberdeck_20171102231409.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=2

If the base kit with all extras is going to start at $175-200, that might price a lot of people out.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:04:06 »
I think the base kit is good as it is right now. It’s only a little larger than the Nautilus base kit. One question though, is Phantom’s 6u spacebar going to be centered or off-centered?

Show Image

I would honestly put 6u centered+6u offcentered + split spacebars in another kit (spacebars kits)  and just keep 6.25+7u  in the base.
2 spacebars (6u x2) to make happy few people happy is no bueno, especially when you have to reach a 250 moq for the base kit

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:07:03 »
How will the pricing compare to the Nautilus or Laser kits? I thought the Laser base kit was awesome, lots of keys, not a lot of novelties, but competitively priced at $140 before before any MOQ drops (final price was $110):

https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/massdrop-x-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set/Cyberdeck_20171102231409.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=2

If the base kit with all extras is going to start at $175-200, that might price a lot of people out.

Depends what you mean for "base kit with all extras", if you mean every kit offered, yes ofc this will be on that price range or higher.
What you meant actually?

Offline cldskt

[IC] GMK Phantom
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:10:20 »
Any chance at all that 60% kit is offered rather than the full base kit? I understand that most GMK keysets are offered in base kit + child kits, but more and more keysets offer the option of buying only 60% kit (with 1u arrow keys + 2u left shift as well). Some even went the extra mile of separating alphas and modifiers into different kits. I think it creates a more affordable options for 60% owners who does not want to waste extra keycaps sitting around and paying more for those as well as the flexibility of customizing their kits.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:16:15 by cldskt »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:11:51 »
Any chance at all that 60% kit is offered rather than the full base kit? I understand that most GMK keysets are offered in base kit + child kits, but more and more keysets offer the option of buying only 60% kit (with 1u arrow keys + 2u left shift as well). Some even went the extra mile of separating alphas and modifiers into separate kits. I think it creates a more afforable options for 60% owners who does not want to waste extra keycaps sitting around and paying more for those as well as flexibility of customizing their kits.

I don't think this is possible when outside massdrop.   If they keep the 250moq of custom colors, that would make the extra outside the 60% not happen probably. 

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:44:47 »
Any chance at all that 60% kit is offered rather than the full base kit? I understand that most GMK keysets are offered in base kit + child kits, but more and more keysets offer the option of buying only 60% kit (with 1u arrow keys + 2u left shift as well). Some even went the extra mile of separating alphas and modifiers into separate kits. I think it creates a more afforable options for 60% owners who does not want to waste extra keycaps sitting around and paying more for those as well as flexibility of customizing their kits.

I don't think this is possible when outside massdrop.   If they keep the 250moq of custom colors, that would make the extra outside the 60% not happen probably.

Addon kits should only have 100 moq. Maybe 150 for custom color. But shouldn’t be 250.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:48:17 »

Addon kits should only have 100 moq. Maybe 150 for custom color. But shouldn’t be 250.

If you split the base kit like he asked, 60%+all the other layouts, that's basically splitting it in half more or less and a 80keys kit is not addon kit... Maybe they can drop it from 250 to 200, but the moq won't be 100 

Offline cldskt

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 06:02:11 »

If you split the base kit like he asked, 60%+all the other layouts, that's basically splitting it in half more or less and a 80keys kit is not addon kit... Maybe they can drop it from 250 to 200, but the moq won't be 100

I’m not saying that we should discard the base kit entirely, but just having an additional option of buying 60% kit (where base kit is still being offered). Will this be kind of moot and make it even harder to reach MOQ of each of the base/60% kit?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 07:15:40 »

I’m not saying that we should discard the base kit entirely, but just having an additional option of buying 60% kit (where base kit is still being offered). Will this be kind of moot and make it even harder to reach MOQ of each of the base/60% kit?

That's the same problem mate, many will buy the 60% kit and the base kit will have less orders, the keys of the base kit which are not in the 60% will most likely not happen in this way. 

Offline cldskt

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 07:27:56 »

That's the same problem mate, many will buy the 60% kit and the base kit will have less orders, the keys of the base kit which are not in the 60% will most likely not happen in this way.

Fair enough. I’ll just wait and see how this develops then.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:14:24 »
Absolutely no chance of a 60% kit, that would only make it harder than it already is for the base kit to reach moq, especially with the fees from splitting off kits making the price for the base even higher.

Offline bball2

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:41:21 »
Depends what you mean for "base kit with all extras", if you mean every kit offered, yes ofc this will be on that price range or higher.
What you meant actually?

Sorry meant just the base kit. But if the icons / extra space bars are added to the base kit which causes it to creep up in price.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:04:22 »

Definitely in  :o :o
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:20:56 by KingRama »
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 12:30:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

M-60 DARK PURPLE THX

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 23:56:55 »
Color me purple - er, I mean interested!

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 03:53:13 »

Im also in  ;D ;D ;D

Offline 00

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 03:55:19 »
This shade of purple is very reminiscent of that of Cadbury chocolate  :-X
192372-0
It's like, dude, you gotta re-evaluate
Your perspective and your priorities, because
You started doing this because it was ****ing fun, you know?
It has to be fun
Otherwise, you're just torturing yourself, you know?
You're... you're just stuck inside your own ****ing head

Offline cldskt

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 05:07:54 »
With regards to the 2 Fleur De Lis (1u) and 2 Crown (1.25u) novelties in R4 included in the base kit, is it possible to have different novelties logo (like the one you included in R1?

If this would raise costs, then maybe make 1 Fleur De Lis cap to be 1.25u and 1 Crown cap to be 1u so that people with non-standard bottom row could have varieties and not just fixed to only have Crowns for 1.25u key or Fleur De Lis for 1u key.

Thanks a bunch!

TLDR: Instead of 2x 1.25u Crown novelties and 2x 1u Fleur De Lis novelties on R4, can we have 1x 1.25u and 1x 1u of each design?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 06:08:34 by cldskt »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:27:25 »
With regards to the 2 Fleur De Lis (1u) and 2 Crown (1.25u) novelties in R4 included in the base kit, is it possible to have different novelties logo (like the one you included in R1?

If this would raise costs, then maybe make 1 Fleur De Lis cap to be 1.25u and 1 Crown cap to be 1u so that people with non-standard bottom row could have varieties and not just fixed to only have Crowns for 1.25u key or Fleur De Lis for 1u key.

Thanks a bunch!

TLDR: Instead of 2x 1.25u Crown novelties and 2x 1u Fleur De Lis novelties on R4, can we have 1x 1.25u and 1x 1u of each design?

Spreading each design between different sized caps will mean a new molds will be needed for each of then for each new size cap, increasing cost another .6€ per set per mold.

Offline hervuli

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:40:30 »
Show Image

Show Image

I'm just posting in this in every IC for a GMK set I guess :)

That R2 1.5u backspace in the render isn't included in the base kit as far as I can tell (and I assume the R2 backspace in the 40s kit is 2u?). For the sake of HHKB compatibility, would be really great if it could be included in this set, as it is in e.g. Nautilus, 9009 etc.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline briano1905

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:12:51 »
Show Image

Show Image

That R2 1.5u backspace in the render isn't included in the base kit as far as I can tell (and I assume the R2 backspace in the 40s kit is 2u?). For the sake of HHKB compatibility, would be really great if it could be included in this set, as it is in e.g. Nautilus, 9009 etc.

there is 1.5u 'delete' for that hhkb backspace

the renders are only to get an idea on how the set will look like. for the most updated kits please see the Kits section and not the render as the kits tends to change

thank you
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:16:57 by briano1905 »

Offline hervuli

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:20:43 »
Show Image

Show Image

there is 1.5u 'delete' for that hhkb backspace

the renders are only to get an idea on how the set will look like. for the most updated kits please see the Kits section and not the render as the kits tends to change

thank you

Cool, good to know. As stated in other threads, Delete is really not interchangeable with Backspace, especially in a split backspace layout where the top right 1u key is used as Del and the 1.5u key directly below it is Backspace.

Many modern GMK sets include a R2 1.5u backspace, there is a text only mold and at least two icon molds (the simple left-facing arrow and the clunky, boxier polygon). I love this colorway and it would be really great to have proper HHKB compatibility.

JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline cldskt

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 22:02:05 »

Thanks a bunch!

Spreading each design between different sized caps will mean a new molds will be needed for each of then for each new size cap, increasing cost another .6€ per set per mold.

Ah got it. That's a bummer. The base kit is looking pretty huge as is so I expect the price would already be rather high, hence not intending to increase the cost even more might be a good idea.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] GMK Phantom *update 3/25/2018 - euro and colevrak kits
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 11:56:49 »
I'm gonna go ahead and complain about the Euro kit since that annoys me. For some reason it's become standard to use a prebuilt int kit with a bunch of dupes in it; 8/42 keys are dupes last I looked, with more that could possibly be condensed with some creativity.

These are my proposed adjustments. Red X is keys that were cut, green box is what the red Xs were replaced with, yellow dot is more possible condensation with some liberty taken.

Right now my changes are removing 8 keys from the kit reducing it from 42 to 34, which could mean a noticeable price difference at MOQ.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:36:00 »
proper HHKB compatibility.
It already has proper HHKB compatibility.

Offline hervuli

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:58:27 »
proper HHKB compatibility.
It already has proper HHKB compatibility.
Show Image

Yeah, that was a mis-type of sorts. I always forget that my HHKB layout is not the actual HHKB layout haha

Still, I know there are plenty of ppl that put Backspace in that spot :)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 13:12:31 »
My 2¢ on the split backspace, to the best of my knowledge it's been pretty standard to have the 1.5u key for it be backspace in most recent GMK sets, tho I may be mistaken. Some use just the big arrow interchangeably, but I personally much prefer the look of Backspace on the key.

Offline BserLarry

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 04:41:27 »
I think the set lack contrast making it too dark as a whole.
The purple is a novel idea,
I would recommend testing yellow alpha with purple font or at least adding in a yellow space bar or more yellow mods be it in the F row or something like that

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 05:29:28 »
I would recommend testing yellow alpha with purple font

No

or at least adding in a yellow space bar or more yellow mods be it in the F row or something like that

I agree on just yellow spacebars, no f-row yellow since this is a thing when the set has alphas/modifiers of a different color. 

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 05:30:24 »
I would recommend testing yellow alpha with purple font

No 
Not another Plum please

or at least adding in a yellow space bar or more yellow mods be it in the F row or something like that

I agree on just yellow spacebars, no f-row yellow since this is a thing when the set has alphas/modifiers of a different color.

Offline cldskt

[IC] GMK Phantom *update 3/25/2018 - euro and colevrak kits
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 05:32:09 »
I think the set lack contrast making it too dark as a whole.
The purple is a novel idea,
I would recommend testing yellow alpha with purple font or at least adding in a yellow space bar or more yellow mods be it in the F row or something like that

To me, the main attraction of this set lies with its monotone keycaps, with the exception of the Enter, Esc, and Arrow keys. Changing it to have a colored mods or fn rows will just make this set like any other sets out there with different colors.

As for the colored spacebar, I think it was mentioned before that adding it will increase costs, with the unspoken agreement that colored spacebars will be offered in a separate child kit instead.

Plus, I think the price for the base kit would not be cheap, seeing how huge the current base kit is. Creating a separate child kit to accomodate more colors will make more sense. Even so, there is always a challenge of meeting MOQ for each kit (100 for child kit iirc).
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 March 2018, 05:35:41 by cldskt »