geekhack Community > Off Topic

Thinking of redoing my desk

<< < (4/4)

xsphat:

--- Quote from: itlnstln;6781 ---When I started learning SQL and ASP.NET VB (the self-teaching way), I bought all types of books (mainly for the ASP.NET stuff, I have always been good w/SQL) for reference/learning.  I tried so hard to use them, but, damn, if Google wasn't easier every time.  It was that, and every problem I seemed to come across never was addressed in the books, it was always some obscure, rarely-used function or procedure that worked-around limitations in the language.  I'm not knocking it by any means, but I have not been able to use desk references since around '93 or '94.  Although, I still have old MS Access, Paradox, Harvard Graphics, etc. QUE reference manuals from way back for nostalgia purposes.
--- End quote ---

No matter what anyone says, books are cool. I have a ton of English texts on the shelf directly to the right of my desk, but electronic tools always hold the answers. There are a few that simply can't be replaced like the AP Stylebook, Zounds and Talk the Talk, but they are getting to be few and far between.

And for reading for pleasure, hell will freeze before I'll give up paper.

bigpook:
Most technical books do go out of date pretty quick. But at the time they served a need. Most of them are dated now, however not all of them are door stops. I won't get rid of them though.
Most/all information can be had by doing a google search. But a book can be nice to have. Its portable, you can write in the margins, you can give a book to another person. Its great when I am in place with no internet connectivity, like the beach. Yeah , I read about Postfix when I am at the beach, and Samba too.

My other library is larger and is either fiction or non-fiction, soft-cover and hard-cover. There are some books I have read multiple times, and some of them only once.
But I like books. I like the paper, and the feel of the pages. Its like the difference between an analog clock and a digital clock. I will take analog each time.

I have friends that don't buy books. Thats what a library is for, so they tell me.  I suppose that is true, but I like walking across the room and just pulling one off the shelf. I read 4 books at a time, at my leisure, at my pace. Getting information off of an LCD display is efficient and cold, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I can't curl up on the couch with a 20" LCD.
Give me a good book, a cup of coffee and a Saturday afternoon. I am happy.

xsphat:
BigPook, I think you're a pretty cool dude.

bigpook:

--- Quote from: xsphat;6792 ---BigPook, I think you're a pretty cool dude.
--- End quote ---

Thanks man : )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version