Author Topic: *Sigh* I can't decide  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Greek

*Sigh* I can't decide
« on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 22:21:59 »
Here's the problem, I've tried cherry mx blues and cherry mx browns, they both feel nice and blues are fun lol so i pretty much decided that i was going to get the das ultimate with cherry mx blues...while at my friends playing sc2 (big rts player) they were saying how loud i type because apparently i press the keys very hard (i bottom out i suppose) so they keep saying that i should buy cherry mx blacks because they're 10 grams heavier and there not as loud ~ now i keep hearing that blacks are more for fps players so im sort of stuck? lol

so do guys have any suggestions? would be awesome :D

Offline Zamorph

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 22:24:32 »
Go with the blues!!! Browns..... just buy reds :)

Offline curzen

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 22:25:01 »
if bottoming out is the main problem and source of the noise, maybe try these? http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17511-EK-s-quot-Soft-Landing-quot-Pads-for-Cherry-MX there is also mention of placing o-rings around the stems to dampen the impact/sound.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline brkim1324

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 22:29:48 »
Honestly, go for the ones you like. Don't listen to others.
As RTS player, I prefer blue,brown and Red. My favorite one for RTS is currenlty Red.
Black is linear which is same as Red. But black is heavier meaning your hands will get fatigue faster than Blue.
Blue switch is the most fun to type on, good for typing and RTS. As for me, I have no problem with gaming with blue.
Black is for most comfortable with FPS. What ppl complain about black is it's linear so you don't feel anything when you type.
You tried blue, so you know there's bump you feel when you type other than the audio feedback.
For black, there's none. Secondly, the force pushing your fingers back are quite strong. For me, it was quite horrible for typing...
I saw some of the European and American progamers use Steel 6gv2 for SC2 gaming, but most use Filco brown and blue.
If you can try black you can try, but the noise doesn't really matter.
It's not about the noise you should care, it's your heart and feel you should care.
Care more about the feel of typing and what you really want.

Offline Greek

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 22:38:36 »
like the sound isnt really a problem for me or bottoming out (well lets hope my parents dont hear the blues upstairs if i get them LOL) but i dont know where i would be able to test out blacks, but yeah i love the feeling of the blues they feel great lol and ill most likely end up with the blues, but i'm wondering if theere would be any benefits of having blacks

Offline brkim1324

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 22:55:43 »
like the sound isnt really a problem for me or bottoming out (well lets hope my parents dont hear the blues upstairs if i get them LOL) but i dont know where i would be able to test out blacks, but yeah i love the feeling of the blues they feel great lol and ill most likely end up with the blues, but i'm wondering if theere would be any benefits of having blacks
If sound is the problem get the browns. Blue and blacks are totally different.
Personally, I don't see Blues loud... they just make click sound that's all...
Blacks and reds do get noisy too when you bottom out alot like I play SC2 with my Red.
It won't be a problem if you play with your door closed.

Offline Greek

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 23:29:38 »
ahh gotchya, well sound most likely wont be a problem, will prob end up with blues lol thanks

Offline Marclgw

• * Vendor
*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 23:36:08 »
IMO, Black are heavy and it tires your finger easily.

For blue noisy.
Brown JUST ALRIGHT!

ATM, the trend and on going rumour is that Red switches are meant for gaming too.

Perhaps you would wanna try out red before deciding.
Red is light than black.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 23:36:42 »
wlcm 2 gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline BaconKnight

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 23:37:04 »
Blues and blacks are completely different feeling, they're not even close. Not saying blacks are bad, just that they're nothing like the blues so I would advise against the thinking that you'll like the blacks just because they're also mechanical. Like others was saying, get what you want, but if it really is a huge issue, this sound thing, then a brown should be a good compromise. Das Keyboards even sell a brown variant, the silent model. Maybe browns with the EK soft landing pads perhaps?

Just a word of warning, some people have stated that browns do feel different from blues (the tactile point is much subtler) but it still sounds way closer to blues.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline Greek

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 23:50:36 »
yeah pretty much leaning towards blue at this point considering i don't know how i could test out blacks,

Offline False_Dmitry_II

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 00:41:35 »
Imagine sticking and gluing one end of a spring so that it is upright. Now imagine pushing down on that spring. There you go, mx blacks.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline brkim1324

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 00:43:35 »
Imagine sticking and gluing one end of a spring so that it is upright. Now imagine pushing down on that spring. There you go, mx blacks.

lol nice detail XD
Kinda sounds like everybody's saying cherry black sucks...
I don't even own black switch for that reason..
but i wanna see black users retaliate XD

Offline False_Dmitry_II

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 01:00:09 »
Personally I just don't like linear. Including just pulling the tactile leaf out of an alps, or the click arm out of space invaders.

I also tend to like click stuff.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 01:01:48 »
just buy all boards and sell ones you don't like

done
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline godofdeath

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 01:06:30 »
Quote from: noodles256;346018
just buy all boards and sell ones you don't like

done

this lol

if you make the noise from bottoming out get them ek foam pad things or just dont bottom out on the blues

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 01:40:31 »
i have one cherry board with blacks, but don't use it much. its on my media center pc now, which i almost never need to use the keyboard for. i'm using my leopold with browns on my primary system for now, which will be replaced with a poker with blues as soon as that arrives. so when that happens the leopold will go to the media center and i'll chuck the g80 in the closet to keep as a spare. in any case if you want to try out blacks maybe pressing one one of those hand exercisers would be a good approximation.

Offline BaconKnight

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 02:21:29 »
As an MX black user I feel I should chime in and say, no, they don't suck. :-)

Though they're not my favorites, I enjoy using them. Even for regular typing from time to time, just to get a different taste. They're like buckling springs without a click which can be a pleasant feeling.

I will admit however it probably wouldn't be a good thing to have an MX black be your only board as it is an acquired taste. But they have their purposes. They're more a specialty board.

They're great for FPS gaming. I bust it out everytime I play one. Whereas with the my blues or alps the click point can be distracting, the linear nature of the blacks makes quick directional changes very fluid. It's not that you can't game with blues or browns, I just feel blacks are much better for FPS. RTS I would give to blues however.

Also very good night time keyboard. Very quiet. My room is so hot I have to leave the door open otherwise it cooks up in there with my computer. It's quiet under normal use and even quieter if you purposely try to type softly. I can type comfortably late into the night and not bother other people. Can't say I could do that with the blues.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 02:25:39 by BaconKnight »
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 02:22:27 »
i miss my blacks, my black men 0.o
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Greek

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:39:44 »
haha well, to actually consider the blacks, ill somehow have to test them out

Offline Zamorph

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:43:53 »
Reds> black :)

Offline MasterBlaster

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 18:54:41 »
I am using blacks atm and they are NOT good for FPS imo , they are good for anything you need to type but not  to keep the button down (like running in a fps or rpg/mmo) as yeah , your hand will tier very fast but for starcraft or any  rts they are pritty decent. Got my first mecanical keyboard not to long ago and i like it but i noticed other things matter alote too , like how high can you have the keyboard( i love a keyboard with feet that can get realy high , like putting 1book to raise the F1 side) or the wristpad thingy. For starcraft (where probably the keyboard matters most ) or any other RTS the best keyboards are the ones best for general typing  (aka decently big buttons and spaces between them and nice fee)l. Atm i have steelseries v2g but the 4-1 button is not working already so i m thinking of geting brown swiches das professional silent but i cant find it anywhere in europe , it s like we re a small island in the pacific :(
Das Professional Silent (brown) > Steelseries 6gv2 (black) > Logitech 19 (crap?!)

Offline brkim1324

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 21:16:03 »
It's kinda funny how many mechanical keyboards have some major cons in certain aspects when they are over $100. :(
It should be perfect when it's at least 5 times more expensive than normal keyboards..

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 21:40:26 »
Cost can't account for subjectivity.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline suntorytime

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 21:42:57 »
Quote from: brkim1324;346388
It's kinda funny how many mechanical keyboards have some major cons in certain aspects when they are over $100. :(
It should be perfect when it's at least 5 times more expensive than normal keyboards..

As with most hobbies there is a point of diminishing returns. Be glad you aren't into high-end audio or cameras.

<3 black mx. They aren't my favourite but there are too many 'keyboard guides' out there that say they are only good for gaming etc. I prefer mine for typing and not for gaming.

Offline brkim1324

*Sigh* I can't decide
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 22:03:50 »
<3 black mx. They aren't my favourite but there are too many 'keyboard guides' out there that say they are only good for gaming etc. I prefer mine for typing and not for gaming.

Me too! I don't really choose my keyboard for gaming but for just my taste. Just what I feel like it :) But I must say Red is really for gaming