Author Topic: What keyboard opinion have you held for awhile but changed fairly recently?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
By way of example I used to HATE HATE HATE Linear switches, I always thought they felt soulless and borderline not really mechanical.  However my mind has changed as of late actually using a Leopold W/ MX reds as my daily driver currently. 

Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline zslane

The only opinion I can think of that has changed since I first discovered mechanicals is that my indifference towards tactile switches has changed to a preference for tactile switches, but only because I discovered that I really like Topre rubberdomes.

I also want to try Kailh Coppers someday.

Offline Auk

you may have seen it already, but those are on MD as of today: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kaihua-kailh-speed-switches?mode=guest_open

$11.99 + $3.50 / 49 (for Planck)
$27.99 + $3.30  / 120

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Hated linears for the longest time.. then I found green alps. 
keyboards.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
The only opinion I can think of that has changed since I first discovered mechanicals is that my indifference towards tactile switches has changed to a preference for tactile switches, but only because I discovered that I really like Topre rubberdomes.

I love tactile switches (mainly topre, but also zealios).  I have one single Kailh Copper, and I absolutely hate it.  It's the most inconsistent switch I've ever seen.  An off center key press either reduces the tactility to mx brown levels, or causes the stem to literally catch on something inside which is very unpleasant and broken feeling  (catches on the leaf perhaps.. couldn't tell even when disassembled).  Maybe my switch is actually broken.. but if one fresh switch has this issue, other are bound to. 
keyboards.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
I used to hate linears but I think it's because I never tried any that were a good weight for me and I was only using stock MX linears which IMO feel pretty scratchy. Now my most used board has 78g lubed gat clears and I have an SKCL Green board in the works.

Thought 45g Topre was unusable until I started using my HHKB Pro 1 and realized some 45g Topre is pretty great.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline zslane

you may have seen it already, but those are on MD as of today: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kaihua-kailh-speed-switches?mode=guest_open

$11.99 + $3.50 / 49 (for Planck)
$27.99 + $3.30  / 120

Yeah, I have 150 of them on the way. I just don't have a keyboard to put them into yet.

Offline base

I love tactile switches (mainly topre, but also zealios).  I have one single Kailh Copper, and I absolutely hate it.  It's the most inconsistent switch I've ever seen.  An off center key press either reduces the tactility to mx brown levels, or causes the stem to literally catch on something inside which is very unpleasant and broken feeling  (catches on the leaf perhaps.. couldn't tell even when disassembled).  Maybe my switch is actually broken.. but if one fresh switch has this issue, other are bound to. 

Interesting.  Maybe you are right in thinking that your switch might be broken.... I just got my Kailh bronzes coppers a few days ago, and haven't noticed any of those issues. Haven't done a full build with them yet, but I have put them in a plate with some caps, and I think that they actually feel very smooth and consistent.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 13:28:14 by base »

Offline Targa-TV

I used to hate the shine on my laptop keyboard's keys. Then my Varmilo arrived with stock PBT keycaps, and I they had a bit of a textured surface which I couldn't get comfortable to. I love the smooth keycaps of my G80 now.

I'm not sure if it can be called an opinion because I thought it was just the way it was before I got into mechanical keyboards, but I'm starting to lose all patience with full size, staggered, qwerty keyboards. I'm always adjusting to the position of the keys to go on with my daily work and it annoys me.
I love my G80, it's a lovely keyboard, but I think shifting to a more ergonomic layout might do me some good. Who knows.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 14:47:30 by Targa-TV »
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

I used to think that Topre was too expensive, but now that I've been using my HHKB around 7 months.. I would have to say the price is certainly justified.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Hated linears for the longest time.. then I found green alps.
Same here!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
By way of example I used to HATE HATE HATE Linear switches, I always thought they felt soulless and borderline not really mechanical.  However my mind has changed as of late actually using a Leopold W/ MX reds as my daily driver currently.
Same thing happened to me, although I've moved on to silent reds recently.

I'm thinking the solid construction, built in dampening along with the excellent stock PBT keycaps of the Leopold make any switch better.

Offline Entropia

I used to dislike backlit keyboards, but now I hate them.  :p

Offline Auk

I've never been a fan of typical keyboard lights either. I always thought lighting would be good only if the legend is lit with zero light leakage around the key. Logitech G Pro TKL is the closest I've seen to what I'd want from a backlit keyboard, but I'm very skeptical about the Romer G switches - I don't like MX brown or MX red as it's too soft, so it's hard to imagine liking a switch that people describe as being like an overly soft, bad imitation of MX brown...
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 June 2017, 09:41:21 by Auk »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I love ergo clears until I gave old blacks a try. Now, I would like to only use them, but with springs that are a bit lighter than the stock's.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 June 2017, 10:34:19 by ideus »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
I used to dislike backlit keyboards, but now I hate them.  :p

Yeah iv'e kind of grown to dislike backlit boards also for several reasons.

1.  Since most of us buy aftermarket caps anyways not many of them look good or work with backlighting.

2.  It's much easier to replace a dead switch on a board without LED's for amateur folks like me with a Soldering iron.

3.  Dead LED's are a reality in backlit boards and not a hassle I care to deal with.

The Ducky ONE will likely be my last backlit board.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Old Opinion: Why would anyone spend more than $160 for a keyboard and why would anyone spend more than $80 on keysets?

New Opinion: Where did my money go? Oh another GB?? Count me in!