Author Topic: Wisdom teeth removal..  (Read 8382 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Wisdom teeth removal..
« on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:28:17 »
I got a headache.. Mouth still numb, that's good i guess.

The instructions don't make any sense, I'm suppose to not rinse for 24 hours..  but how am I going to take these antibiotics..

Also,

Vicodin for Teeth-Removal?   Is it any wonder Murica' has a heroin problem..  Hahahaha

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Wisdom teeth removal..
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:29:42 »
Soup and soft foods for a few days? Or straight up liquid diet?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:30:08 »

Show Image

No tp you're hungover, that has nothing to do with your teeths.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:31:06 »

I already made potato_bisque  this morning to get ready...

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:31:37 »

Show Image

The instructions don't make any sense, I'm suppose to not rinse for 24 hours..  but how am I going to take these antibiotics..

Also,

Vicodin for Teeth-Removal?   Is it any wonder Murica' has a heroin problem..  Hahahaha

I got codeine when mine were removed.  Didn't end up using any of it though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:31:42 »

Show Image

Tp4 no drink on weekdays,  except Friday..

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:32:13 »

Show Image

Well we're friday.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:32:52 »

Show Image

So you got drunk right before the extraction? 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:33:13 »

Show Image

Also,

I got codeine when mine were removed.  Didn't end up using any of it though.

I didn't even look at the prescription before I went to the pharmacy..

Then I got home looked at the bottle.. amoxicillin, ah old friend.. 

Then I read the other bottle, Hydrocodon, I'm like wtf, why would I need this..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:37:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

If that were the case,  How did I drive to the pharmacy and then back home..

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:39:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

If that were the case,  How did I drive to the pharmacy and then back home..

Show Image

There's reason bus and bicycle exists, you're allowed to be drunk in/on it.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:45:31 »

Just read your signature, your post bothered me, pm incoming.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:47:39 »
I ended up using the codeine when I had mine removed.

Graphic description of bodily functions below:
More
Despite best intentions and proper salt water rinses, my jaw got infected a few days after the surgery.  The back of my jaw became very swollen, I don't remember the exact size, but let's just call it golf ball sized.  It hurt a great deal.  The infection occurred over the weekend, and the dentist/orthodontist was closed.  Our town had no emergency dental services center, and we would not have been able to afford it anyway. 

Eventually the pressure of the swelling was relieved when the infected area popped.  I still remember how it tasted like really gross flu snot - but it filled my mouth.  The consistency was of runny brown gravy.  It flowed through my teeth.  I could feel the warmth of my gums change as it did.  I gathered up kleenex to catch what I could before  I could make it to a sink.  I had to just hold my mouth open and let it ooze out. 

My mother came to help me with it.  She, not being the one with pus in her mouth, told me I should use my tongue to milk out as much as I could.  I pushed at it from all angles with my tongue to squeeze out the last bits of the infected fluids.  If I thought my entire mouth was filled with the putrid humor, I was wrong.  By moving my tongue around it got into nooks and crannies to ensure that flavor stayed with me for days.  The taste of blood was my refuge as I pushed longer and longer.  That sweet iron-rich nectar began to overtake the sickly mucous and I knew the area was purged. 

The pain of using an alcohol based listerine rinse was immense as it sloshed around the open wound, but it was worth it.  That helped burn away some of my taste buds.  Saline rinses helped to clean out the area as well, and salt in the wound hurt much less than I worried it would. 

On one hand, relieving the pressure helped with the superficial pain of having my gums stretched beyond their natural limits.  On the other hand, I was VERY sore for over a week.

I guess this is just a roundabout way of saying that you should be thankful you have a preemptive batch of codeine in case something goes awry.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:55:04 by BlueNalgene »

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:51:09 »
More

Despite best intentions and proper salt water rinses, my jaw got infected a few days after the surgery.  The back of my jaw became very swollen, I don't remember the exact size, but let's just call it golf ball sized.  It hurt a great deal.  The infection occurred over the weekend, and the dentist/orthodontist was closed.  Our town had no emergency dental services center, and we would not have been able to afford it anyway. 

Eventually the pressure of the swelling was relieved when the infected area popped.  I still remember how it tasted like really gross flu snot - but it filled my mouth.  The consistency was of runny brown gravy.  It flowed through my teeth.  I could feel the warmth of my gums change as it did.  I gathered up kleenex to catch what I could before  I could make it to a sink.  I had to just hold my mouth open and let it ooze out. 

My mother came to help me with it.  She, not being the one with pus in her mouth, told me I should use my tongue to milk out as much as I could.  I pushed at it from all angles with my tongue to squeeze out the last bits of the infected fluids.  If I thought my entire mouth was filled with the putrid humor, I was wrong.  By moving my tongue around it got into nooks and crannies to ensure that flavor stayed with me for days.  The taste of blood was my refuge as I pushed longer and longer.  That sweet iron-rich nectar began to overtake the sickly mucous and I knew the area was purged. 

The pain of using an alcohol based listerine rinse was immense as it sloshed around the open wound, but it was worth it.  That helped burn away some of my taste buds.  Saline rinses helped to clean out the area as well, and salt in the wound hurt much less than I worried it would. 

On one hand, relieving the pressure helped with the superficial pain of having my gums stretched beyond their natural limits.  On the other hand, I was VERY sore for over a week.

I guess this is just a roundabout way of saying that you should be thankful you have a preemptive batch of codeine in case something goes awry.

This is some graphic stuff..  Was not expecting this  :eek:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:53:33 »
More

I've been writing my methods section for my dissertation lately.  The dry science has left me with a few spare adjectives lying around.  I should put a 'more' on the original post.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:53:34 »

no pm  :-\
its just a way to get people to pm me....forever alone  :'(

PS: TP I had my wisdom teeth cut out around 17 years ago all I remember is the switches started coming out a lot quicker than they were supposed to. I think I was eating hot dogs by the 3rd day.  :))

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:54:33 »
Dental pain is the worst because you can't get any "distance" from it.

I have had several tooth-related problems over the years, and I am glad for the strongest pain medicine that they will give me.

But after the first few doses I get seriously messed-up, I can't imagine how anybody likes it on a regular basis.

And be very good and serious with those antibiotics - that is what keeps all that foul horribleness at bay after the fact.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:54:51 »
More

Very well written IMHO..

My lower inner jaw is starting to hurt.

The numbness has begun to wear off.. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:56:15 »

no pm  :-\
its just a way to get people to pm me....forever alone  :'(

PS: TP I had my wisdom teeth cut out around 17 years ago all I remember is the switches started coming out a lot quicker than they were supposed to. I think I was eating hot dogs by the 3rd day.  :))

You must have some of that Wolverine X-healing factor.. 

Sadly I do not possess such amazing abilities..  I just know this is going to take me weeks.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:00:16 »
TIL tp4 had wisdom
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:04:31 »
TIL tp4 had wisdom

I feel more Derp derp already.. now that I've lost 2 of my 4 w-teeth 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:12:53 »
Wow guys.. this pain is increasing.. I think I can stand it while awake.. but there's no way I can sleep well with this..

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:15:46 »
This post reminded me that I have to get all four of mine yanked.  Not looking forward to it at all.  I hear dry sockets make you want to die.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:18:22 »
Wow guys.. this pain is increasing.. I think I can stand it while awake.. but there's no way I can sleep well with this..

That sucks.. I had all 4 of mine yanked and I slept great... well aside from the drooling everywhere  :))

I got shingles once while studying for finals... now THAT kept me awake at night  :'(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:21:54 »
This post reminded me that I have to get all four of mine yanked.  Not looking forward to it at all.  I hear dry sockets make you want to die.

My top two came out perfect,  but the bottom 2 let me down.. they were growing diagonally into my jawbone..

So I just had the bottom two removed today..

I'm slightly enjoying the pain..  My life's normally too carefree..  This gives me some perspective and dimensionality.

God, imagine way back when, when they pulled teeth with nothing but some booze..

Or Civil-War hospitals..

Or People with Real-problems..

Offline tbc

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 15:54:59 »
i was eating steak 2 days after...4 teeth ezpz
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 16:39:19 »
the reason it says to not rinse mouth is because of the potential for a dry socket. same reason why you were probably told to not smoke or drink milkshakes. Dry socket= when the pulpy red bulb thats left in your jaw after the extraction, comes free from negative air pressure in your mouth and it pops out, which exposes your jaw etc to the air and more bacteria. **** hurts.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 16:42:08 »
This post scares me so much. I was supposed to get mine taken out as a precaution like a year ago, but it didn't look like any of them were actually going to impact from the x-rays so I just didn't.

I really just don't want to be put under at all.  :'(

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:25:14 »
I had mine taken out in HS. Two were impacted, and the other two were pulled clean. I worked at a ski resort at the time, and was very grateful for the Percocet.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:26:49 »
Had all four of mine taken out same day. Wide awake and I forgot to eat earlier. Felt dizzy as **** from the blood loss. I had to have "surgery" to get them out since they needed to be out for my braces. Wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Did get drugged up after for the pain tho. Hate the dentist. Sound of your teeth separating from your gums is terribad.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:35:35 »

This post scares me so much. I was supposed to get mine taken out as a precaution like a year ago, but it didn't look like any of them were actually going to impact from the x-rays so I just didn't.

Exactly the same as my girlfriend.

She was told to remove them as a precaution about... Let's say 4 years ago.
Everything looked okay though and they never felt like they were coming in

A few months ago she started feeling some pain and what do you know, here they come at full speed.

She always put it off because she was afraid to go under, but of course, that's what's gonna happen in a few weeks.

Doc said it's a bigger deal because some nerves are being hit because of how they're impacted. If she would have gotten them out earlier, it wouldn't have caused her so much pain and discomfort.

I would suggest doing it while you can and before things have the chance of getting worse

Of course, I say this while I have no knowledge of when/if mine will come out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:50:40 »
Ok guys..

So far.. Painlevel 1-10,   I've sustained about one hour of lvl6, followed by three hours of lvl8. through till now..

Do ya'll think I should take the vicodin to go to sleep..

I must mention..

I've had in my past:

Video game addiction (Severe)
Mild alcohol abuse
Mild tobacco use
Addiction to female company

Last thing I want is a heroin problem down the line..

Thoughts ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:07:22 »

I really just don't want to be put under at all.

Yes, you do.

And accept whatever pain and antibiotic pills they offer you.

And follow the hygiene rules to the letter for at least a week, or until you feel confident that all is well.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tbc

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:20:01 »

it's kinda funny actually.

they put the mask on, i turned my head to the left and by the time i turned it back to center, the procedure was done.

i felt groggy, but there was literally no sleep phase (the entire thing took 1.5 secs from my perspective).  my eyes were open an i was conscious as far as i was concerned.

EDIT:

i'm told some people have air pressure problems on takeoff/landing because of 'air pockets' created by the wisdom teeth as you age.  some jobs literally make you remove those teeth before you get to work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:22:00 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:47:02 »
Where are these air pockets created..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:48:10 »

I really just don't want to be put under at all.

Yes, you do.

And accept whatever pain and antibiotic pills they offer you.

And follow the hygiene rules to the letter for at least a week, or until you feel confident that all is well.

I had mine done awake..

They take this scary big needle and shoot you 4 times in the gums with local anesthetic..

It kinda.... hurts initially, but about 10 seconds into it.. my whole chin and lower jaw was numb..

They did the whole cutting and teeth-pulling, and I didn't feel a thing..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:03:03 »
Just making sure ya'll have seen this video.. on Indian Street Dentists..

Makes you realize how good Obama care is..

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:45:18 »
I have 3/4 of my wisdom teeth coming in. I should probably go get them removed... but I'm terrified of the whole ordeal. And of the bill.  :eek:
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:50:48 »
I have 3/4 of my wisdom teeth coming in. I should probably go get them removed... but I'm terrified of the whole ordeal. And of the bill.  :eek:

Offline scubaste

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:19:11 »
OOOPS. I just posted on Scuba's account. Deleted and reposting on mine  ;D

-BOOPER

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:20:25 »

Yea, I've tried signing up. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? But the cheapest plan I can get is like $280 a month and doesn't cover much at all. According to obamacare, I'm eligible for coverage but MS doesn't offer it? I don't know. Adulting is hard  :'(

"Review the table below with your eligibility results. Booper - Based on the information you provided, the new federal health care law provides that you could be eligible for free or low cost health care through Mississippi Health Benefits. However, the state of MS has chosen not to offer you this new health care coverage at this time.
You are not required to pay a penalty for not having health insurance because of your income and because the state of MS declined to expand Mississippi Health Benefits to cover individuals in your situation."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:35:35 »
Ouch.  In other words, we're protesting the change, so **** you. 

I know there are dental schools that are cheaper at times and that you can often work out payment plans. 

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:59:30 »

I know there are dental schools that are cheaper at times and that you can often work out payment plans.

haha, Classic Mississippi!  :thumb:

Thanks! I'll look into the dental schools and ask about payment plans. The teeth don't hurt or anything so I've been putting it off.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 22:33:01 »

I paid 1k to have mine taken out. But this was like 14 years ago.

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 22:43:45 »
One thing I have learned for-sure is this:

IBUPROFEN for tooth pain.  The Acetaminophen, it does nothing.  Hydrocodone tends to be bundled with acetaminophen, which is dumb but it is what it is. 

If 600mg/6hrs of ibuprofen won't let you live a functional life, you pretty much have to take the narcotics.  Alternate every three hours with motrin if you have codeine/tylenol.  When you can feel the narcotics are making you tipsy instead of just taking the edge off, stop taking them.

...coming from someone who had 4x impacted teeth out at once and spent basically a week out of his mind on narcotics.  My bed pillow was hugely stained from seepage during sleep from the surgical wounds.  It was bad.  If you are being told "get these out now, as a precaution" get a second opinion and then get it done.  Anesthesiologists are doctors too, and they don't get to keep their medical licenses by killing people.  You count maybe Ten through Six and wake up.  It is NO big deal to undergo general anesthesia.
Jesus loves you.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 23:13:25 »

haha, Classic Mississippi!  :thumb:

Thanks! I'll look into the dental schools and ask about payment plans. The teeth don't hurt or anything so I've been putting it off.

I put it off as well, for almost 2 years.  instead of one big pull like now.. I essentially suffered 5-6 mini-episodes of intense pain caused by impaction against my jaw bone...

If I could go back, I would not wait.

But it also depends on your teeth,  check the orientation in all axis.. 

My bottom ones were good for y and z, but screwed up on x-axis

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 00:27:11 »
I had mine taken out at age 18 (32 now) and chose the general anesthesia route, just wanted it to be over as fast as possible.

The day I showed up for my procedure, turns out I knew the nurse who would be assisting that day. They hooked me up to heart monitors and started the IV and gave me something to relax until the dentist would be in. Was watching something on the television when I moved a bit in the chair and one of the heart monitor pad things (I can't remember the name of them right now) came off. Machine went flat line and the nurse came running in and since I was feeling pretty relaxed, I half-cocked a smile and said "I think I'm dead".

Before I knew it, I was awake and being sent home with some Vicodin. Slapped some bags of frozen peas on my face when I got home and went into work a couple days later. Just took over the counter stuff for the pain, which led to me selling the Vicodin  ;D
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 00:35:16 »
I had mine taken out at age 18 (32 now) and chose the general anesthesia route, just wanted it to be over as fast as possible.

The day I showed up for my procedure, turns out I knew the nurse who would be assisting that day. They hooked me up to heart monitors and started the IV and gave me something to relax until the dentist would be in. Was watching something on the television when I moved a bit in the chair and one of the heart monitor pad things (I can't remember the name of them right now) came off. Machine went flat line and the nurse came running in and since I was feeling pretty relaxed, I half-cocked a smile and said "I think I'm dead".

Before I knew it, I was awake and being sent home with some Vicodin. Slapped some bags of frozen peas on my face when I got home and went into work a couple days later. Just took over the counter stuff for the pain, which led to me selling the Vicodin  ;D

You sold the vicodin?

what was the street price back then..

It's only worth a few bucks per pill these days because it's prescribed for literally any-ol'-pain.

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 00:45:41 »

You sold the vicodin?

what was the street price back then..

It's only worth a few bucks per pill these days because it's prescribed for literally any-ol'-pain.

I don't even remember (or what dosage they were), but probably not that much.
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 04:31:13 »
Just woke up.. 

Pain level has decreased to 4,  pretty mild at this point..

Fingers crossed for no infection..

I got my 3x alarms set for der' amoxicillin 500mg..