Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon  (Read 334402 times)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:32:28 »
AFAIK GMK is offering custom legends or am i wrong?  :D

I believe it's now technically possible, whereas it was impossible before (at least for double-shot legends). So we have an interest check right now for a pack with geekhack keys. But I think it's much more expensive than getting new legends for SP (for whatever reason).

You can get whatever you want printed onto the key, but a lot of people wouldn't be happy with a significant amount of pad printing for a set they wanted to use. My worry is that the legends will either be pad printed (subpar) or too expensive (double shot and new legends).

Definitely double-check with GMK or with someone who has spoken with them, but I think a set with the number of novelties that Carbon had would be too expensive to be feasible, particularly combined with the high MOQ for custom colours. Again, if you're able to work out a reasonable price for a set with doubleshot novelties, I would be all over this in an instant.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:49:25 »
Ivory wins over white any day.

This. As long as you don't have a white keyboard.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 15:28:00 »
First kit has been added (check first page). Keep in mind i am trying to add only the necessary keys, due to the custom colors.

Second kit will come this weekend.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 15:31:52 »
AFAIK GMK is offering custom legends or am i wrong?  :D

I believe it's now technically possible, whereas it was impossible before (at least for double-shot legends). So we have an interest check right now for a pack with geekhack keys. But I think it's much more expensive than getting new legends for SP (for whatever reason).

You can get whatever you want printed onto the key, but a lot of people wouldn't be happy with a significant amount of pad printing for a set they wanted to use. My worry is that the legends will either be pad printed (subpar) or too expensive (double shot and new legends).

Definitely double-check with GMK or with someone who has spoken with them, but I think a set with the number of novelties that Carbon had would be too expensive to be feasible, particularly combined with the high MOQ for custom colours. Again, if you're able to work out a reasonable price for a set with doubleshot novelties, I would be all over this in an instant.

Yes we will check the pricing and MOQ with gmk. If its ok, i could probably add Warning signs kit but i dont believe this will be the case. But i wish i could do that.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:40:58 »
Oh I'm definitely in on this!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:55:33 »
Would it be possible to add 4 blank R1 keys for above the numpad?   I have a couple of mech with keys up there.

:thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:00:46 »
Ivory wins over white any day.

This. As long as you don't have a white keyboard.

White keyboard? You may be talking about those flat things badly called keyboards by certain Cupertino based company.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:21:35 »
Would it be possible to add 4 blank R1 keys for above the numpad?   I have a couple of mech with keys up there.

I'll look into it. How about to include those into second kit? It will contain also some Carbon novelties like Graphene Enter and Win key replacements. Thought about to add 12-6-C key but it requires a centered C.

Actually i see R1 1u backspace is missing. I'll add it with next update.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:17:57 »

I'll look into it. How about to include those into second kit? It will contain also some Carbon novelties like Graphene Enter and Win key replacements. Thought about to add 12-6-C key but it requires a centered C.

Actually i see R1 1u backspace is missing. I'll add it with next update.

I'm happy with that as I'll be getting all the sets  ;D

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: GMK Carbon
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 07:04:04 »
GMK is Cherry profile, correct? I may be interested.
How does one amass 978 posts and not know the answer to this? :))

lol

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 07:11:18 »
any possibilities for a R2 1.5 backspace? :D 
for my truefox/hhkb layout :3

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 08:17:53 »
This would be a great set to have if only it gets a fair price, some recent offers with inflated ones did not make sense, economically speaking.

Offline braidn

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:06:20 »
This would be a great set to have if only it gets a fair price, some recent offers with inflated ones did not make sense, economically speaking.

Definitely love the idea and would be tipped for the HHKB support mentioned above.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:26:26 »
But you could check right for 1 extra key :)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:46:38 »
Interested to see where this goes.

Offline venyv

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:53:11 »
I really wish I purchased these when they had the GB. I would probably purchase this set in any profile.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:31:29 »
any possibilities for a R2 1.5 backspace? :D 
for my truefox/hhkb layout :3

Those keys will be added "probably" to a second kit. Trying to make base kit minimalistic and affordable because of custom colors. The second kit will get some keys for exotic layouts but also some keys to step the game up.

Actually does GMK offer a 6u spacebar? You know for topre boards. I am aware of topre ПБТ spacebars out there but guess they dont match the color. 6u spacebar would be perfect.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:36:14 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:39:33 »

The pricing is my concern not the MOQ. If its on point then the MOQ should be no problem.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:40:14 »

The pricing is my concern not the MOQ. If its on point then the MOQ should be no problem.

Do you decide the price, or does GMK?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:42:46 »

Do you decide the price, or does GMK?

If i could only  :)) Ofcourse its GMKs task. They got bills too.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:14:56 »
In the case of a custom color, I don't think you should have 2 separate kits. Having the custom color MOQ will make it much harder for a compatibility pack to make it to production. I think it should just be one set with less compatibility. I don't really think it is really necessary to have compatibility for every keyboard under the sun. It just makes the set as a whole more expensive. Just focus on the basics. Tsangan, ISO, and maybe either 75% or 1800. OR at the very least include ISO and Tsangan in the main kit and all the other random compatibility such as 75%, 1800, whitefox, planck, etc. in a separate pack. That way people who want to buy the set can get the best bang for their buck.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:24:12 »
That's actually a good point. But i will send several versions to check moq and pricing. Then we'll decide which to choose.

By the way, i guess legends on led windowed keys from gmk are printed. If so this is a no go. They have to be front printed but there is a led window  :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:52:56 by T0mb3ry »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:22:18 »
I'm still not terribly sure why everyone is going on about custom colours for this set when GMK can do with some accuracy pretty much all of them fine
Hyperfuse wasn't 100% accurate on the original SP colours but turned out great

If you're going to pour extra money into anything I'd look into getting custom legends made for some of the modifiers. Obviously you won't be able to afford getting a whole top row of custom legends done like you did with SP but you can get something that will definitely add some flair and get people interested who might otherwise not be.

With a cost of around $2,000 per new legend you could get the following:

@150 MOQ + 1 new legend: (2000/150) = $13.3 extra per set for new legend
@250 MOQ + 1 new legend: (2000/250) = $8.0 extra per set for new legend
@400 MOQ + 1 new legend: (2000/400) = $5.0 extra per set for new legend

I agree with others in that a potential problem with this set is that you can basically make a somewhat resembling version with existing sets.
This might be a good example of a set in which you sell the mods and alphas separately

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:25:57 »
I'm still not terribly sure why everyone is going on about custom colours for this set when GMK can do with some accuracy pretty much all of them fine

It's not a question of whether they can match colors to the desired custom color.  Hyperfuse was stock GMK colors anyway, so that's a different situation entirely - it was just as close of a match to SP as GMK had. 

The discussion is about the quality concerns regarding custom colors on the *only* set with custom colors that we have as our data point.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:33:58 »

It's not a question of whether they can match colors to the desired custom color.  Hyperfuse was stock GMK colors anyway, so that's a different situation entirely - it was just as close of a match to SP as GMK had. 

The discussion is about the quality concerns regarding custom colors on the *only* set with custom colors that we have as our data point.

I'm not sure if I communicated myself clearly - I was stating that the stock GMK colours that they have are probably sufficient for this set. TA was a case in which the whole set was predicated around matching this shade of teal that turned out to never even exist (with Intelli's post production work on his photos)

It seems like a lot of people have a bitter taste in their mouth after TA because the set was so dependent upon on the custom colours being right - I think if someone were to try again with custom colours it might pay off to not have them be the *main event* of the set

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:38:45 »

I'm not sure if I communicated myself clearly - I was stating that the stock GMK colours that they have are probably sufficient for this set. TA was a case in which the whole set was predicated around matching this shade of teal that turned out to never even exist (with Intelli's post production work on his photos)

It seems like a lot of people have a bitter taste in their mouth after TA because the set was so dependent upon on the custom colours being right - I think if someone were to try again with custom colours it might pay off to not have them be the *main event* of the set

Oh, I see now.  :thumb:

I will still say though that for most of us that knew what we were buying, there weren't many complaints about an imperfect match but rather the quality issues with swirls and such.

I think a majority of the complaints came from people that expected the mockup colors to be accurate without realizing that we were matching a specific keyboard. AKA poor marketing. But I can't speak for the thousands of buyers so maybe I'm off on that assessment.  ;)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:42:33 »

Oh, I see now.  :thumb:

I will still say though that for most of us that knew what we were buying, there weren't many complaints about an imperfect match but rather the quality issues with swirls and such.

I think a majority of the complaints came from people that expected the mockup colors to be accurate without realizing that we were matching a specific keyboard. AKA poor marketing. But I can't speak for the thousands of buyers so maybe I'm off on that assessment.  ;)

Yeah maybe it wasn't so much the teal being off but more the swirling in it

I am still honestly not sure if this is something that can be controlled with QC if they have to rely on custom mixing plastic pellets to do custom colours

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 20:54:01 »

Agree.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 08:39:51 »
With a cost of around $2,000 per new legend you could get the following:

@150 MOQ + 1 new legend: (2000/150) = $13.3 extra per set for new legend
@250 MOQ + 1 new legend: (2000/250) = $8.0 extra per set for new legend
@400 MOQ + 1 new legend: (2000/400) = $5.0 extra per set for new legend

Seeing these figures make it seem useless to get custom legends. Even if we all had one custom legend, would it be worth $5?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 08:48:14 »
I am still honestly not sure if this is something that can be controlled with QC if they have to rely on custom mixing plastic pellets to do custom colours

I'm obviously not familiar with their equipment, but blending custom colors like this is really common and definitely possible.  However, if you have an old blending system or are blending by some other unreliable method, you'll have issues.  My *guess*, since it's not in every part, is that the swirling we saw was related to a changeover of some sort and not effectively purging the old color out of the system.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 09:21:11 »

I'm obviously not familiar with their equipment, but blending custom colors like this is really common and definitely possible.  However, if you have an old blending system or are blending by some other unreliable method, you'll have issues.  My *guess*, since it's not in every part, is that the swirling we saw was related to a changeover of some sort and not effectively purging the old color out of the system.

Plastics are so finicky. I really hope GMK gets it all sorted out.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:58:27 »
We send the updated version of base kit to gmk and are waiting for pricing and moq. If pricing is ok i will develop it further else its just nonsens.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 11:37:17 »
We send the updated version of base kit to gmk and are waiting for pricing and moq. If pricing is ok i will develop it further else its just nonsens.

So looking forward to this, can't have enough orange in my life :)

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 08:38:54 »
One question, maybe it has been answered... if so, slap me!

Will you be providing 1800 support, I'd like this on my Lightsaver!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 09:06:46 »

I would love to do so. I love 1800 layout. However nothing is set in stone yet. We are still checking the viability of GMK Carbon.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 09:13:31 »

I would love to do so. I love 1800 layout. However nothing is set in stone yet. We are still checking the viability of GMK Carbon.

Cool cool... I'll keep my eyes open :)

Offline Clementine

• Hi!
    • Good things
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 07:56:02 »
i like it!!!
LOVE KEYBOARD

Offline ntelope

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 18:46:16 »
Love carbon

Offline Pinecone

• Pine Switches
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 19:33:11 »
Too bad no orange alphas  :(

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 21:27:46 »
I really like the carbon color scheme but never a fan of SA profile. it's just very hard for me to type on.
looks like i'll be all over this keyset. thank you op for bringing this up! hope this come to fruition! count me in!  :thumb:
let me check my wallet.

Offline w00zie

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 21:31:28 »
+1 to the will buy list ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 21:53:11 »
Newbie question: Why the one unit back-slash-pipe key cap is row 2 profile? ISO takes row 3 and / or row 4, and the HHKB style requires row 1, the row 2 profile does not fit any.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:01:16 »
Newbie question: Why the one unit back-slash-pipe key cap is row 2 profile? ISO takes row 3 and / or row 4, and the HHKB style requires row 1, the row 2 profile does not fit any.
That definitely looks like a mistake.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 04:27:47 »

It is one. I'll fix it in the next update.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:47:42 »

It is one. I'll fix it in the next update.

Awesome!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 11:12:15 »
Base kit has been updated (fixed).

Currently i am waiting for more information. If i receive this info, i'll know how far i can go with the design. I'll then update the base kit and will probably add some child deals. But now the base kit will contain only the necessary keys.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:55:18 »
Base kit has been updated (fixed).

Currently i am waiting for more information. If i receive this info, i'll know how far i can go with the design. I'll then update the base kit and will probably add some child deals. But now the base kit will contain only the necessary keys.

don't see 1800 support :(

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:30:45 »
Personally I would rather just see the orange accents in the base set be the regular mod color of orange on black.

But looking at the mock up now. It really just looks like a combination of GMK Monkey and Skidata+.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:31:40 »
Personally I would rather just see the orange accents in the base set be the regular mod color of orange on black.

But looking at the mock up now. It really just looks like a combination of GMK Monkey and Skidata+.

Also adding that I think the base kit you have is perfect. The right amount of compatibility.

Offline Cony_WANG

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:59:30 »
iI am interested in this set. And how about adding 1X wins?