Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carrier at Sea  (Read 4256 times)

Offline yaranzo

[IC] GMK Carrier at Sea
« on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 18:11:20 »
Project is on hold indefinitely (probably never happening :c)

Hey there everyone! I'd like to introduce you to an idea I've had for a while. I call it, GMK Carrier at Sea.

This set is a combination of two of my favourite colours, blue and grey. But I was also inspired by the image of a military aircraft carrier at sea, just like the one below.

The colours used are 2B for the grey, TU1 for the blue and CV for the yellow. At the moment, the set should cover most staggered layouts available. There are no plans for ergodox, planck, or other ergonomic keyboard support for the moment, but if the interest is there it can be added as an addon kit, same for an international kit. Novelties might also be added in the future, in the base set or as an addon, depending on the interest and the number of novelties.

Keep in mind that the current render is imperfect, notably when it comes to the icons on the enter and shift keys. It is an early render and should be replaced by a higher quality render in the future. If you believe other keys should be included in the base set, feel free to leave a comment.

As always, constructive feedback in appreciated. Thank you for looking at my project.

To-do list
1. Receive quote from GMK
2. Create new renders
3. Create additionnal kits (if any)
4. Find an outlet for the group buy
5. Launch group buy
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:39:57 by yaranzo »

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
Re: [IC] GMK Carrier at Sea
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 18:26:53 »
I think this is one of those sets that has to be SA or DSA for the centered legends.

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 18:30:16 »
I think this is one of those sets that has to be SA or DSA for the centered legends.
GMK was never set in stone for me, so I'm definitely open to changing it to DSA or SA.

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 18:32:08 »
I'm thinking of old terminal computers and such. And since the legends don't have that much contrast, I think that large center legends will bring it out more.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 20:49:19 »
a good color choice. which blue is in the GMK Color card? or do you want to customize a new blue for this set?
The grayish blue is compatible with your modifier's color.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 21:49:17 »
GMK was never set in stone for me, so I'm definitely open to changing it to DSA or SA.
I think DCS has center legends too if I remember correctly. DCS doesn't get enough love around here :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 November 2016, 22:13:48 by gnmar2723 »

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 21:55:35 »
a good color choice. which blue is in the GMK Color card? or do you want to customize a new blue for this set?
The grayish blue is compatible with your modifier's color.
The blue is TU2, like I said in the OP. I'm thinking about changing the legend colour to something brighter for more contrast at the moment and trying out different profiles for it.

I think DCS has center legends too if I remember correctly. DCS doesn't get enough love around here :p
[/quote]
I've never tried DCS and it's true that not enough sets are designed for it. I'm also looking at G20 atm as it probably has the shortest queue and the profile is interesting, but I think I'd like to get my hands on a set first.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 22:03:31 »
sorry , i  am aware of that color . look forward to this in GMK.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:58:14 »
love the colors, hope it be GMK  :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 14:01:53 »
I like the colors too, though it looks like a sort of "Reversed" Classic Space to me.

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:05:49 »
Finally got time to work on this again. Here's what the set would look like with a lighter legend colour.

I'm currently working on a better render and I'll update the OP when that is done.

Offline damechman

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:09:19 »
I like the lighter legend color a lot, the contrast really sharpens it up.  Would love this in DSA/SA, but the GMK is awesome too  :thumb:.

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:48:49 »
This is what the set would look like if it was DSA instead of GMK. Usual child kits would be worked on if I go for PMK instead.

The same colours would be used for SA or DCS, though I don't think I'd go SA because of the queue times.

Also, if any of you or someone you know has a template for renders, I would appreciate it if you or they could share it with me. Otherwise, if you know someone that does renders, for free or in exchange for a small payment, or you yourself do renders, I would love if we could get in touch for a better render of this set.

After I get a better render I'll set up a form and post over at /r/mk so I can get feedback from the entire community.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:51:06 by yaranzo »

Offline zslane

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:54:03 »
You are still looking at long queue times because your keycaps require double-shots. The limiting factor at SP is not governed by the type of keycap shell, but by the double-shot machinery.

BTW, doesn't GMK support large centered legends? Do they only do IBM-style corner legends?

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:01:34 »
True for the doubleshot comment, the queues will be long, but ultimately I'll let the community choose on the profile. Also I'll check with GMK to see if they still do centered legends, I'll have to message them again to change the colours anyway so I'll ask them at the same time.

Offline honeynugget

• /u/honeynugget on reddit
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 16:12:04 »
love the colorway. Not a big fan of SP's stuff so my vote would be for GMK  :thumb:

Offline poolside

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 12:08:43 »
GMK too! Not too bright, this set could fit pretty well in an office environment.  :)