Author Topic: [IC] Planck GMK Adapter Kit  (Read 10242 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
[IC] Planck GMK Adapter Kit
« on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 09:54:54 »
I am looking to create a very affordable Planck GMK adapter kit that can be as universal as possible. This will be for ONLY modifiers. The easiest way I can figure to do this is by using blanks and picking a color (or two) that will work with as many different sets of alphas as possible.

The layout is very simple:

19 1u Keys
2 2u keys

GMK Color Codes:

Hopefully we can keep this to ~$25-$35. For now this is ONLY for planck. I know there are a million 40% boards these days, and adding larger keys gets expensive quickly, so I won't be adding any additional size keys for now.

So my question to you guys and gals is this: What color would you like to see, and are you even interested at all?

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: [IC] Planck GMK Adapter Kit
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:03:20 »
I'm not a planck owner (yet) but I'm surely interested in a kit or two.

I'd begin with common and successful schemes such as Classic beige and White on black.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:05:25 »
I'm not a planck owner (yet) but I'm surely interested in a kit or two.

I'd begin with common and successful schemes such as Classic beige and White on black.

Yeah, for me I think N9 is the best color. It will still look good with sets like Classic Beige, but also not be out of place with sets like Hyperfuse or Carbon due to being a bit of a darker color.

Offline wodan

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:08:48 »
I was considering something like this for the next HADapter round. Classic beige is the way to go. This is no longer considered for HADapter so no worries there. Would love it though!

Offline need

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:13:39 »
It's good to have blanks as temporal keysets, but they don't have the end game potential. It might be me, but I'm never satisfied with blanks after using them for a while.

N9 seems to be the same as the ones in the GMK Carbon keyset.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:18:21 »
It's good to have blanks as temporal keysets, but they don't have the end game potential. It might be me, but I'm never satisfied with blanks after using them for a while.

GMK doesn't have the mods for many legends need to make a full legend set without paying for new molds. And that will get hugely expensive very quick. And then nobody will buy this and we still will have no option at all for a Planck really.

There are also a million different ways for people to use the mods on a planck, and you can never cover them all, so blanks again make far more sense.

Carbon used all custom colors, but N9 may be in the same ballpark.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:32:08 »
I like the sound of N9 but I'd also be interested in classic beige or black.

Offline need

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:34:21 »

GMK doesn't have the mods for many legends need to make a full legend set without paying for new molds. And that will get hugely expensive very quick. And then nobody will buy this and we still will have no option at all for a Planck really.

There are also a million different ways for people to use the mods on a planck, and you can never cover them all, so blanks again make far more sense.

So custom molds are needed... no wonder why no one ever made GMK planck sets with legends.

SA planck users seem to be more blessed in that regard.

I got a set in carbon grey, and it does compliment pretty much any alphas quite well. However this set would duplicate that, so I will pass on this one. I have more interest in Classic beige.

EDIT: By the way is it unrealistic to do a concave custom mold for the spacebar? I think every planck user wants that to happen quite badly...
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2016, 10:38:57 by need »

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 12:05:59 »
Just an idea... If you're thinking N9, why not add the few extra keys to the >Terminal_ ergodox set and have them run that GB ASAP? They are already billing it as a multi-fit kit so it doesn't necessarily need to run with the main kit. 
edit: I know it will be more expensive with the increased keys, but it may also hit a higher MOQ and thus a lower price.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2016, 12:09:06 by elfick »

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 12:53:58 »
Would be so behind this LSB in N9, CR or whatever the common white color is used in sets!
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:09:14 »

So custom molds are needed... no wonder why no one ever made GMK planck sets with legends.

I got a set in carbon grey, and it does compliment pretty much any alphas quite well. However this set would duplicate that, so I will pass on this one. I have more interest in Classic beige.

EDIT: By the way is it unrealistic to do a concave custom mold for the spacebar? I think every planck user wants that to happen quite badly...
GMK already has the molds for a concave 2u keycap. It's a convex 2u keycap that it can't make right now. Technically the Raise and Lower keys should have convex keycaps too.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:57:01 »
Just an idea... If you're thinking N9, why not add the few extra keys to the >Terminal_ ergodox set and have them run that GB ASAP? They are already billing it as a multi-fit kit so it doesn't necessarily need to run with the main kit. 
edit: I know it will be more expensive with the increased keys, but it may also hit a higher MOQ and thus a lower price.
I like this idea so much I'm even going to reply to myself... Hopefully I don't answer myself replying to myself cause that would just be crazy... 

I'm super stoked about this idea because I haven't really been able to get a GMK set due to lack of support for non-standard layouts (I know, GMK Carbon eventually had ergodox and planck support, but IIRC, that was after the main GB ran so I was SOOL)

Anyway, I propose (again?) the GMK N9 ERGOBLANCK. Basically >Terminal_'s Ergodox kit with the accent keys removed and the planck keys added.

Future kits that work with N9 could just add blank accents for compatibility. The accent kit could look something like: 1u [r2,r3,r4], 1.25u[r3]. 1.5u [r3], 2u [r2,r4]. That would be planck, quark, bantam44, minivan, and ergodox coverage. Quark and bantam44 would have to trade for the second 1.5r3 unless two were included, but at least it would be possible.

This would be awesome... Then if we could get Colevrak support I'd be set. :D 

Offline need

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 14:06:57 »

GMK already has the molds for a concave 2u keycap. It's a convex 2u keycap that it can't make right now. Technically the Raise and Lower keys should have convex keycaps too.
Opps... convex is what I meant to say.
I agree with the Raise and Lower keys should have convex keys, planck users have been compromising with flipped keys for too long.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 15:41:52 »
What's the row settings of the keys in the bottom row? And what the settings of the extra 3 keys?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline braidn

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 17:39:20 »
This adapter kit would also fit Profet's new Atreus62 and the original Atreus keyboards.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:08:37 »
What's the row settings of the keys in the bottom row? And what the settings of the extra 3 keys?

Well you need the two extra 1u keys for GRID layouts, and the additional space is just in case we want two colors for a spacebar, but we can take that out if nothing is decided on.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:12:24 »
I like the sound of N9 but I'd also be interested in classic beige or black.

Classic beige is great as well, i mean if there was enough interest by the end we could do two colors as a single set, pricing should still be under 50 bucks. People could always split kits as well if they wanted, but having a light and dark color would pretty much give something that would go with just about any set. In the case of a single color i just think darker would be a safer bet so that the mods are darker than most alphas, and just be visually what people are more accustomed to.

Again, this is all what the community ends of wanting. The only thing that is definite is that they will be blank. Not even opening the can of worms to get molds made and decide which ones to make, and make everyone pay wayyyy more for this than needed.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:13:20 »
After a few weeks, lets say after the holidays, ill make a poll and leave it up for a week and we can go from there. For now please keep leaving any and all ideas here.  :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:17:23 »

oh god yes. just having a new mold for a simple legend is costly enough with GMK, a full new profile mold for a key would be insanely expensive. Just flip the keys around if needed. Again, we are trying to keep this cheap here, its already a hard enough sell which is why there is hardly any options for Planck users out there. We just want some basic options for now.

Crazier colors and other things can happen later if people really get interested, but that wont be this buy for sure.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:31:08 »
You already know im in for a set. Id like a dolch colorpack at the very least.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:50:30 »
You already know im in for a set. Id like a dolch colorpack at the very least.

N9 would go great with Dolch alphas I think.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:51:51 »

oh god yes. just having a new mold for a simple legend is costly enough with GMK, a full new profile mold for a key would be insanely expensive. Just flip the keys around if needed. Again, we are trying to keep this cheap here, its already a hard enough sell which is why there is hardly any options for Planck users out there. We just want some basic options for now.

Crazier colors and other things can happen later if people really get interested, but that wont be this buy for sure.
So if convex 1u and 2u keycaps don't come with a group buy that's specifically targeted towards Planck users, when will they?

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 21:09:48 »
N9, TU2, and MG1 are my top picks at the moment. Maybe a beige or hyperfuse purple would be good.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 21:16:30 »
So if convex 1u and 2u keycaps don't come with a group buy that's specifically targeted towards Planck users, when will they?

The goal of this buy is to make some of the classic GMK sets planck compatible. Making a new mold is out of scope imo.

Offline deacon

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 23:50:11 »
Dark grey works for me and this could replace the G20s and number pad caps I currently use with black Cherry sets.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 10:39:50 »
N9, TU2, and MG1 are my top picks at the moment. Maybe a beige or hyperfuse purple would be good.

If we did two colors another option would def be purple or cyan, at least to be considered. With hyperfuse, sky dolch, skeletor, keyboard and co, there are a lot of sets that would look good with it.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 10:42:22 »

The goal of this buy is to make some of the classic GMK sets planck compatible. Making a new mold is out of scope imo.

Yeah, totally agree. Yeah, I could add it, but there is no way we would ever get enough to have it made, and this would flop. This buy in particular is trying to be as cheap as possible with the hopes that it will just scrape by haha.

If flipping the keys isn't comfortable for you I'd just suggest trying a different profile honestly.

Offline need

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 11:05:24 »

Yeah, totally agree. Yeah, I could add it, but there is no way we would ever get enough to have it made, and this would flop. This buy in particular is trying to be as cheap as possible with the hopes that it will just scrape by haha.

If flipping the keys isn't comfortable for you I'd just suggest trying a different profile honestly.
I honestly think that the introduction of convex cherry profile short keycaps would actually brings more people in.

Anyway, it's just a matter of time that it will get made. The whole scene of flipping keycaps is just ridiculous, comical even.

I'm sure people don't get into this hobby because it's cheap...they are looking for something better.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 11:42:30 »

How does having correctly-shaped thumb keycaps not add to the compatibility? It's perfectly in line with the goals of this GB.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 11:49:08 »

How does having correctly-shaped thumb keycaps not add to the compatibility? It's perfectly in line with the goals of this GB.
It is in line, but it raises costs. I would rather have another set supported than a few differently profiled caps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline need

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 13:17:10 »

It is in line, but it raises costs. I would rather have another set supported than a few differently profiled caps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This hobby is already a very costly one, planck users surely wouldn't mind having the kit to be 10(?) bucks more to have the correct profile.
The demand is there, so the cost would spread thin. This would also benefit future sets immensely, no more the flipping keycaps nonsense.

What you want already exist, take a look at the GMK carbon ergodox/planck kit.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 13:33:14 »
This hobby is already a very costly one, planck users surely wouldn't mind having the kit to be 10(?) bucks more to have the correct profile.
The demand is there, so the cost would spread thin. This would also benefit future sets immensely, no more the flipping keycaps nonsense.

What you want already exist, take a look at the GMK carbon ergodox/planck kit.
[/quote]

The issue is that its not the same as making a new legend mold. making a convex 2u and 1u key would be akin to creating a whole new profile. It wouldn't be a few hundred dollars, but thousands for the new molds.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 14:44:03 »
The issue is that its not the same as making a new legend mold. making a convex 2u and 1u key would be akin to creating a whole new profile. It wouldn't be a few hundred dollars, but thousands for the new molds.

Thank you, someone understands. This is not an "everyone pays $10 extra" this is the GB now costs $50 more for everyone, and then nobody buys anything at all.

But, should someone want to take on collecting enough funds to pay for a new profile mold, I'm definitely not going to stop you. I'm not going to make a penny from this, just trying to get Planck users a better alternative than they have now, which is basically nothing. I mean if someone starts a more ambitious buy and actually manages to get enough people interested to make it happen, I'll cancel this one and send everyone your way.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 15:26:26 »

Can someone explain me the convex 1u and 2u keycaps? I assume its the same shape as spacebar right? Then it would be more interesting making it in row 5. However i dont know if 2u row 5 key is available.

I suggest making N9 due to the larger amount of the keysets made in this color (Dolch and all its derevats, skidata). Classic beige would be also very sought after.

In that case N9 and U9. In my opinion you should combine both colors into one set to make it tip better. Yes it makes the set more expensive, but right now there was only one Planck set made (Carbon) and i think Planck users would love to get planck addapter kit directly in most used colors. Its always good to have options and the additional keys will not make that addapter kit that expensive. Devided they would cost more and will have also their own MOQ. So strategically its more wise to offer that combo ;)

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 15:40:40 »

Can someone explain me the convex 1u and 2u keycaps? I assume its the same shape as spacebar right? Then it would be more interesting making it in row 5. However i dont know if 2u row 5 key is available.

I suggest making N9 due to the larger amount of the keysets made in this color (Dolch and all its derevats, skidata). Classic beige would be also very sought after.

In that case N9 and U9. In my opinion you should combine both colors into one set to make it tip better. Yes it makes the set more expensive, but right now there was only one Planck set made (Carbon) and i think Planck users would love to get planck addapter kit directly in most used colors. Its always good to have options and the additional keys will not make that addapter kit that expensive. Devided they would cost more and will have also their own MOQ. So strategically its more wise to offer that combo ;)
Yes, they are basically just shorter space bars. Do you know if there's a difference between row 4 and row 5 space bars?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 15:44:39 »
Do you know if there's a difference between row 4 and row 5 space bars?
Spacebars are convex, they ain't either R4 nor R5.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:00:38 »
Do you know if there's a difference between row 4 and row 5 space bars?
Spacebars are convex, they ain't either R4 nor R5.
Are you sure about that? The space bars in these two images don't look the same to me.

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:04:33 by e_l_tang »

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:01:16 »
Aaahhh google helps... Anyway thx for the answers :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:05:20 »
Are you sure about that? The space bars in these two images don't look the same to me.
Show Image

Show Image

Definetely not GMK.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:16:25 »
Show Image

Show Image

Definetely not GMK.
The space bar in the first image and the middle space bar in the second image are indeed Cherry profile space bars.

Offline need

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:23:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

Definetely not GMK.
The space bar in the first image and the middle space bar in the second image are indeed Cherry profile space bars.
I'm not sure what you want to show with the photos, to me the middle spacebar seems to match B-profile nicely no?

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:33:23 »
Show Image

Show Image

Definetely not GMK.
I'm not sure what you want to show with the photos, to me the middle spacebar seems to match B-profile nicely no?
TalkingTree thinks that row A space bars do not exist, but I'm not so sure.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:12:43 »
This is getting a little off topic folks. GMK doesn't have 1u or 2u keys in that profile, so it doesn't really affect this buy regardless.  :-X

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Re: [IC] Planck GMK Adapter Kit [On Hold]
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 19:51:48 »
Ok, going to leave this here. The GMK Nautilus Planck set is quite frankly pretty perfect and what I had in mind. With its inevitable launch happening soon I'm going to lock this thread for now and encourage anyone interested to snag that set for the time being. There surely isnt enough of us Planck users to split the community up with sets at this point, instead we should all get behind one, and my vote is going to this one:

GMK Nautilus: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85336.0