Author Topic: [IC] PBT Magenta (August 18 - Samples Arrived)  (Read 24384 times)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
[IC] PBT Magenta (August 18 - Samples Arrived)
« on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:28:09 »
Hey all,

Update - Samples Arrived
Full album - http://imgur.com/a/qG0UU

Purple 9 UP key = Enjoypbt
Black ESC = Master Control
Purple + Yellow key = Negative Dye Sub

----------

While CMYK Legacy was a dream, I think that it can be worked on in the future when I am able to make things flow a little more smooth.

For the first keyset Keyclack will release, we are offering two colors in PBT.

The set was created from scratch file was created from scratch and uses dye sub in order to achieve it.

Here is a sample of what the final sets should look like.

Here are some details that I have now.
  • $60 Introductory GB Price
  • 125 Total Keys
  • Max 50 units ordered per color

1) PBT Magenta. Color code: 0,100,0,0

2) PBT Cyan.  Color code: 55,0,15,0

More
This is my one of my first attempts at doing a IC for a decent keyset. So hopefully, you like it.

Inspiration

I started out with some neutral tones, which I enjoy. Grey & white are a beaut, so I thought that would be a great starting point.

I really wanted to integrate a classic color wheel, the CMYK/W color wheel, so I threw those into the modifiers, and tried to go with the best orientation of the colors. I added orange at the backspace/esc just to try to give it a small hint of warmer colors, and I don't think it disturbs the set too much with the orange.

Colors

I'm using SP PBT chips. But these are just for reference.

The material will be PBT however.

Alphas = WAN

Modifiers = GSQ

The Actual Set!
v2 Design

More
V1 Design

Pricing, etc

$110 [151 keys]. No Child kits.

CHERRY PROFILE.

PBT material

MOQ = 100 Units

Interest check

http://goo.gl/forms/r6H87qlLWedipqe63

If there is enough interest, I will move forward and purchase a sample set at my own cost to test it, then we can move forward!

edit #1:

also working on novelties, will possibly move to 3D render. and FEEDBACK is appreciated.

edit #2:

if we hit a 200 unit MOQ, the cost will be $95 per set + shipping!

Edit #3:

Going into purchase of sample set a few hours after IC to test validity of new company. Hopefully it works out!

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2016, 19:28:10 by jchan94 »
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] CMYW Legacy
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:33:03 »
Who will be the manufacturer?

And double shot pbt?

Offline reggalicious

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:33:12 »
Looks goooooood. 

Definitely interested.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:35:53 »
Cherry PBT? So Gateron? Vortex?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:37:10 »

And double shot pbt?

I'm not 100% sure on how to say the name, but the translation is "DONGGUAN GREAT PLASTIC GOODS".

They have shown me their sample sets, and it looks good. I've been talking to them for a while now, and they seem legit.

In order to alleviate any worry on quality, etc, I am looking to purchase a set for myself in any case (if we go GB or not), just because I like it.

The sample is pretty cheap for a single run, costing about $250.

Also, it looks like thick pbt mold, and not doubleshot.

Cherry PBT? So Gateron? Vortex?

See above.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 10:40:34 by keyclack »

Offline Radlife

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 11:20:06 »
Any chance you can show us their sample sets?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 12:30:06 »

Also, it looks like thick pbt mold, and not doubleshot.

I didn't know you could get those color combos using dye sub.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:37:26 »
Please do some research before starting an IC.  :-X

You can't dye sub a lighter color onto a darker cap. It only works the other way around. This set would have to be doubleshot.

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:42:48 »

You can't dye sub a lighter color onto a darker cap. It only works the other way around. This set would have to be doubleshot.

I understand the limitations of the dye sub printing process and confirmed with the company that if the pigment of grey is light, then the legends can be printed in their multi color form.

If anything, the Grey color will have to be changed to a lighter hue.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:57:08 »

I understand the limitations of the dye sub printing process and confirmed with the company that if the pigment of grey is light, then the legends can be printed in their multi color form.

If anything, the Grey color will have to be changed to a lighter hue.

Do you have any pictures of what the end result would look like? Actual photos of their caps?

Due to how the sublimation process works, you can't discharge a darker color from the base, and replace it with another lighter color.

If some new company (or any company, honestly) promised this was possible, I'd be very hesitant to believe them without proof first.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 19:25:58 »

And double shot pbt?

i know this. thank you for your explanation.
if not double-shot, i prefer to dye-sub.
whether "dongguan great plastic goods"is high quality or not , we  who all  be interest in this IC even GB should confirm this plastic in person and look into how the real keycaps look like after dye-sub.
As i know, many but not all moulds for PBT , more or less, have crooked mx-stem moulds including BSP's PBT . Except for crooked stem and only wkl's lay-out, BSP is pretty comfortable in touching and typing  in gentleness and texture on surface.

i am extremely interested in your idea on this color-way. May be BSP' PBT is one option of your many options . Due to flaw in mould, the crooked stem of BSP could not be foundementally addressed but we could remind BSP of stricter QC on them. and we could choose more blank keycaps for dye-sub for wk lay-out. as for minority lay-out ,we could turn to enjoy PBT.

BSP's PBT has less lower price than "dongguan great plastic goods".
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 19:59:36 by shower_king »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 19:30:27 »
I'm interested to see how this turns out. Given the color scheme and the dye sub process, I would not be willing to purchase a set until we can see real pictures of their quality.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 21:31:27 by UsualSuspectXXX »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 21:51:26 »

And double shot pbt?

whether "dongguan great plastic goods"is high quality or not , we  who all  be interest in this IC even GB should confirm this plastic in person and look into how the real keycaps look like after dye-sub.
As i know, many but not all moulds for PBT , more or less, have crooked mx-stem moulds including BSP's PBT . Except for crooked stem and only wkl's lay-out, BSP is pretty comfortable in touching and typing  in gentleness and texture on surface.

i am extremely interested in your idea on this color-way. May be BSP' PBT is one option of your many options . Due to flaw in mould, the crooked stem of BSP could not be foundementally addressed but we could remind BSP of stricter QC on them. and we could choose more blank keycaps for dye-sub for wk lay-out. as for minority lay-out ,we could turn to enjoy PBT.

BSP, for the most part, is great. High quality Cherry profile BPT caps. I know for a fact they can't dye sub a lighter legend onto a darker cap though. Also, the long running problem with BSP is that they don't do space bars, so organizing a GB through them requires a bit more work, as you have to source spacebars elsewhere.

But like you are saying, without explicit proof this random company can produce high quality caps WITH a new way of dye sublimation that nobody else has figured out yet, i'll skip on this one.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:04:01 »

And double shot pbt?

BSP, for the most part, is great. High quality Cherry profile BPT caps. I know for a fact they can't dye sub a lighter legend onto a darker cap though. Also, the long running problem with BSP is that they don't do space bars, so organizing a GB through them requires a bit more work, as you have to source spacebars elsewhere.

But like you are saying, without explicit proof this random company can produce high quality caps WITH a new way of dye sublimation that nobody else has figured out yet, i'll skip on this one.

yesir, you have told more details on BSP's PBT.  we choose GMK 's 7×and 6.25× blank space instead and there is a bit difference between BSP's color and GMK‘s ,nonetheless, the difference have less effect on matching them harmoniously.

Offline alveeno

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:25:05 »
Have you considered keeping modifier legends white except for ctrl, alt, and shift to match CMY mods colors

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 03:37:35 »
I'm in tested to see how this turns out. Given the color scheme and the dye sub process, I would not be willing to purchase a set until we can see real pictures of their quality.

Sounds great, thanks for the interest! I just paid for the keyset sample, and hopefully it turns out well.

And double shot pbt?

yesir, you have told more details on BSP's PBT.  we choose GMK 's 7×and 6.25× blank space instead and there is a bit difference between BSP's color and GMK‘s ,nonetheless, the difference have less effect on matching them harmoniously.

Thanks for this insight! I haven't dealt with BSP before, but they look like a decent company to work with. I've only seen their sets through Ori's releases.

If you think they have a mold problem, then I would like to avoid that. This is my first release, or attempt at a release, so I'd like for it to turn out well.

Last thing, do you know the pricing scheme/contact for BSP? This has 150 keys for about $100, which is an okay price.

Have you considered keeping modifier legends white except for ctrl, alt, and shift to match CMY mods colors

HMM. That definitely sounds good. Maybe I can tack that on with this, without incurring too much cost. But with all the CTRL sizes, etc, I might have to change that around.

I will play with this idea, as I definitely like how it can play out, but it might just look like the CMYW mods haha, which I'm trying to push away from.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 04:38:32 »
Can I see a render with cmyw mods? I would like to see how well they work together.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 21:19:31 »
Can I see a render with cmyw mods? I would like to see how well they work together.

Check it out! Just updated it. I think the update looks a lot better.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:08:42 »

Oh wow! That looks surprisingly nice. You should just call this the official keyclack set.

Some custom artisans like a cmyw themed wk-001 would be cool to see. Definitely in for one.

Can we still get the original grey mods though?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:32:32 »

Oh wow! That looks surprisingly nice. You should just call this the official keyclack set.

Some custom artisans like a cmyw themed wk-001 would be cool to see. Definitely in for one.

I definitely want to, and maybe a future GB of just muted/white mods would be nice.

I think the first goal should be the CMYW goal :3

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 23:16:44 »

I definitely want to, and maybe a future GB of just muted/white mods would be nice.

I think the first goal should be the CMYW goal :3

got it :) excited to get my night unicorn.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
Re: [IC] PBT Magenta
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 04:28:31 »
Bump! I added an update.

Offline ntw

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 05:49:51 »
these looks promising but shares the same concern that the lighter color on the modifier legends might not turn out well against the vibrant cyan and magenta background.

perhaps you should request for the sample and share the pictures with us
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 21:30:26 »
these looks promising but shares the same concern that the lighter color on the modifier legends might not turn out well against the vibrant cyan and magenta background.

perhaps you should request for the sample and share the pictures with us

Agreed. I am getting samples in the colors that I have posted for the CMYK codes above. Hopefully it is vibrant!

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 21:45:02 »
i'd be so in for magenta if it actually works out

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 23:43:42 »
Dat Trix cereal ISO Enter. The first ISO cap I want.  :eek:

Offline lolpes

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 05:38:27 »
That ENTER :3

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 06:22:34 »
The keys don't seem to be uniform among the sets. The lack of a stepped caps lock is unusual and would be a deal breaker for me.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 06:43:05 »
The keys don't seem to be uniform among the sets. The lack of a stepped caps lock is unusual and would be a deal breaker for me.

I realized that supporting ISO would cost a lot more than I want this set to come out to and I personally don't like the idea of child kits :\.

we'll see if I'll keep those extra keys

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 12:52:01 »
This one could be interesting given the low price.  Always a fan of blue.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 20:33:20 »
This one could be interesting given the low price.  Always a fan of blue.

Yaahhhs. The price is something I am super proud of, and I'm pretty sure it'll stick to that $60 price point in the GB. Then retail for extra at $70. Still, I believe that for the price, it is a great value.

Looking to see what other keys to include right now to make this set good for most layouts.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2016, 21:10:35 by jchan94 »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 21:30:34 »
The set was created from scratch and uses dye sub in order to achieve it.

Maybe I'm being 'that guy' but these are two exact color schemes that have already been successful inside the community. GMK Valentine and GMK Cyan. Of course you have the right to set up any IC you want, but c'mon...

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 23:23:49 »

Maybe I'm being 'that guy' but these are two exact color schemes that have already been successful inside the community. GMK Valentine and GMK Cyan. Of course you have the right to set up any IC you want, but c'mon...

Oh sorry. I meant that the file was created from scratch. I didn't want to claim ownership for the pattern, color, or whichever.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 01:57:40 »

For at least the cyan set, I see two immediate differences.  First, it's PBT rather than ABS for the GMK set.  Second, there's a significant price drop for this set compared with the GMK set.  Sure, it's another cyan/white set but the two differences might be of interest to some.

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:06:42 »
Looking good!

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:17:10 »

they're literally two tone colorways, it's not like he's copying any of the novelties either. want to complain about WoB, BoW, and classic beige while you're at it?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:19:57 »

For at least the cyan set, I see two immediate differences.  First, it's PBT rather than ABS for the GMK set.  Second, there's a significant price drop for this set compared with the GMK set.  Sure, it's another cyan/white set but the two differences might be of interest to some.

they're literally two tone colorways, it's not like he's copying any of the novelties either. want to complain about WoB, BoW, and classic beige while you're at it?

Don't try and twist my words.

I complained about him claiming it was designed by scratch. Which, unless jchan94 is oblivious to what happens in this community, is totally false.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:41:47 »

I complained about him claiming it was designed by scratch. Which, unless jchan94 is oblivious to what happens in this community, is totally false.

Haha it's all good guise. I meant that the FILE was created from scratch, fonts used, alignment, etc. I have since edited/ crossed out previous words in the OP.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:45:16 »
Haha it's all good guise. I meant that the FILE was created from scratch, fonts used, alignment, etc. I have since edited/ crossed out previous words in the OP.

:thumb:

Offline breckstar

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 19:10:58 »
Can't wait to see the quality. Definitely would take one of both if good.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 13:47:37 »
I would be in for both colors as I'd like to combine the two for some 1980s retroish goodness. The pricing is great but I hope it doesn't sell out in a minute.

Huge plus if a 1.5u backspace key and Capslock size Control key could be added for those of us that like layouts that use those. Or offer some sort of mod pack with unusual keys.

Offline alveeno

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 19:00:17 »
Jchan W T F is this ????????

I'll buy both sets. How dare you.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 20:54:52 »

I understand.  My reply stemmed from the fact that I assumed there was no claim of unique design from scratch.  All good, though.  I think we just started from different points.

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 12:24:17 »
Count me in for at least one set
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
    • KeyClack
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 15:40:50 »

Decided to add the stepped key and a few other keys. The cost shouldn't be affect at this point :)

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 12:48:12 »
I dont understand the $60 introductory price. What is that?
And I dont like the pricing part. $110 for a keyset from China? The same pricing tier with GMK Germany? Madness

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 12:56:25 »
And I dont like the pricing part. $110 for a keyset from China? The same pricing tier with GMK Germany? Madness

The GB sets will run at $60 per set, the extras (or leftovers, however you want to call them) will be sold for $70 per set, just like it is common in groupbuys. It will not be an extra $70 on top of the $60, but the extra sets will be sold for $70. It's clear now I hope.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:11:34 »

The GB sets will run at $60 per set, the extras (or leftovers, however you want to call them) will be sold for $70 per set, just like it is common in groupbuys. It will not be an extra $70 on top of the $60, but the extra sets will be sold for $70. It's clear now I hope.
Thank you. But how about $110 for 151 keys?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:24:58 »
Thank you. But how about $110 for 151 keys?

I'm pretty sure that was the price for a different set, the CMYW Legacy, which is put on hold in favor of PBT Cyan and Magenta.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:31:18 »
Is that picture a sample of their actual caps, or just a photoshop so we can have an idea of the colors?

I am really curious about the sample, how the hell they can dyesub lighter legends? Do they dyesub everything except the legends?