Author Topic: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome  (Read 984596 times)

Offline decarabia

Re: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome
« Reply #1300 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 15:04:10 »
i want to try my hand at design, but for some reason i feel lost as to where to even begin (or i could be getting way ahead of myself when i dont even have a rough draft yet)
there are a couple of things i'm wondering about regardless, so if anyone has answers or insight i'd appreciate it a lot
  • would pmk's templates be useable with other manus, should i get to that point? i want to have cuneiform sublegends, so kle definitely doesn't have support for that really works as long as it's a unicode char wao why did i not realize that sooner. i'm thinking it'd also be pretty useful when it comes to novelties too
  • is metallic-looking plastic possible? what sort of colour codes or specifications should i be looking into if i want to achieve that?
  • assuming a gb goes through and moqs are hit, do designer(s) at least break even? including pre-ic and prototyping costs

fiddled around in kle for a bit since posting, modelled after gilgamesh. i personally find yellow (and in extension, gold) incredibly hard to work with as a main colour, and i was thinking a bit about how neat metallic legends would look, hence the question above, but maybe red is fine too? it's certainly one of gil's secondary image colours
tho i didnt put too much thought into the sublegends other than the numbers since i'm no historian and i dont know a lick of sumerian/akkadian aha
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2023, 02:44:58 by decarabia »

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #1301 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 15:08:40 »
i want to try my hand at design, but for some reason i feel lost as to where to even begin (or i could be getting way ahead of myself when i dont even have a rough draft yet)
there are a couple of things i'm wondering about regardless, so if anyone has answers or insight i'd appreciate it a lot
  • would pmk's templates be useable with other manus, should i get to that point? i want to have cuneiform sublegends, so kle definitely doesn't have support for that really works as long as it's a unicode char wao why did i not realize that sooner. i'm thinking it'd also be pretty useful when it comes to novelties too
  • is metallic-looking plastic possible? what sort of colour codes or specifications should i be looking into if i want to achieve that?
  • assuming a gb goes through and moqs are hit, do designer(s) at least break even? including pre-ic and prototyping costs

fiddled around in kle for a bit since posting, modelled after gilgamesh. i personally find yellow (and in extension, gold) incredibly hard to work with as a main colour, and i was thinking a bit about how neat metallic legends would look, hence the question above, but maybe red is fine too? it's certainly one of gil's secondary image colours
tho i didnt put too much thought into the sublegends other than the numbers since i'm no historian and i dont know a lick of sumerian/akkadian aha
Show Image

Hahaha this is super cool and also coincidental because I decided to start looking around the keycaps section of the geekhack forums to look at making cutsom keycaps with Cuneiform sublegends just like you're talking about now, although I was going for a bit of an easier alphabet of the Archaemenid Empire of 5th century BC Persia since they only have 36 symbols in their alphabet and are less complex in form. I was thinking a similar layout and some ancient armor and the symbol of the Archaemenid Empire for the novelty keys. I am still stuck on color though but I am interested in doing something like the colors of clothing commonly worn during that era.

glwkc!

Offline NingWang

• https://sourlemontech.com/
« Reply #1302 on: Mon, 25 September 2023, 21:38:05 »
What about a Halloween themed keycap set? Then maybe a pumpkin artisan on top of that.
302829-0
302831-1

Offline dipincoke

« Reply #1303 on: Fri, 06 October 2023, 09:43:55 »
nice color

Offline EchoKeys

« Reply #1304 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 13:31:44 »
This purple keycap looks great
Hello,I am HighC.
Email:EchoKeys66@gmail.com

Offline dipincoke

« Reply #1305 on: Fri, 20 October 2023, 06:15:34 »
i want to create carbon fiber keycap with motif similar to carbon fiber cloth. I dont know why haha  ;D but i love that theme. Also how about beehive theme ? that sound amazing to me. Tell me what you think
t

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #1306 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 21:49:38 »
What about a Halloween themed keycap set? Then maybe a pumpkin artisan on top of that.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

What's that above the space bar? Is that a brain?

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #1307 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 22:24:56 »
Tomorrow is Halloween night, I think it's time to show my Halloween keycaps
303605-0

Offline NingWang

• https://sourlemontech.com/
« Reply #1308 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 00:22:41 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

What's that above the space bar? Is that a brain?
Yes indeed, you got a cool halloween set as well btw :))

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #1309 on: Sat, 11 November 2023, 19:20:34 »
I want some more colorful keycaps made by big brands such as GMK and SP.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline CMYKatt

« Reply #1310 on: Sat, 09 December 2023, 03:37:27 »
Personal keycap design I've been working on, but wanted to see if there was any interest from others? Current working set name is "DOMINO"

ANSI 108-key Cherry Profile Keycap Set
5-sided dye sublimation printing on 1.5mm PBT

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 December 2023, 03:42:03 by CMYKatt »

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #1311 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 12:12:36 »
I want some more colorful keycaps made by big brands such as GMK and SP.

me too..

Offline Orangeeky

« Reply #1312 on: Sun, 25 February 2024, 21:55:30 »
Hey All! I've been working on a custom set of caps and I wanted to see what others thought of it. I'm currently looking at getting them printed (sublimated) from GoblinTech but I'm new to this, so if there's other quality options for Cherry PBT, I'm all ears. Ideally looking for 108 key ANSI.
*Fixed images
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
306328-1
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2024, 22:56:10 by Orangeeky »

Offline sarahn27

• Null Design Co
« Reply #1313 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 18:37:38 »
Hey All! I've been working on a custom set of caps and I wanted to see what others thought of it. I'm currently looking at getting them printed (sublimated) from GoblinTech but I'm new to this, so if there's other quality options for Cherry PBT, I'm all ears. Ideally looking for 108 key ANSI.
*Fixed images
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Nice set! One thing, I think the ENTER, BACKSPACE, etc. might look better capitalized, like the individual letter keys. I'd at least capitalize the CTRL so it matches the ALT in your novelties render.

Offline Orangeeky

« Reply #1314 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 19:09:19 »
Thanks.. I can't believe I didn't catch that myself. I'm going to try it both ways (all caps vs 1st letter capped) to see how it looks.