Author Topic: Onnimar TKL Custom Keyboard Design (UPDATE: Prototype in hand.)  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Onnimar

Hello guys,

I recently got introduced into the keyboard community, I was fascinated and very quickly became addicted to the creativity. While in lockdown and waiting for my first keyboard kit to arrive I decided to design my own TKL. I have a background in Mechanical Engineering and design for the NDT industry which has helped me a lot but I still had to learn so much and did a lot of research during my design. I, therefore, would just like to share my design and process in this thread.

CAD Design:
243736-0

243738-1

243748-2

243740-3

Render:
243744-4

I have already got the prototype on order and am thinking of making the CAD files opensource once I have tested the prototype.

The keyboard was made for the H88 Hiney PCB which I have on order as well.

I'm pretty sure this will not be my only design so I am always up for new ideas and feedback. If you are interested in designing your own keyboard and the different processes I went through to achieve my design then feel free to ask.

Update:

I received the prototype today and would like to share some photos! There is a scratch on the brushed finish brass weight and the anodising was meant to be dark grey but came out black. Apart from these issues I am very happy with the keyboard. It feels very premium in hand due to the weight and I can't wait to build it. I still need to play around with the gasket mount and order some screws and some switches. Plus, the PCB is still on order.
244738-5

244740-6

244742-7

Let me know what you think and feedback is much appreciated. I'm thinking of designing a 65% keyboard next!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 11:13:40 by Onnimar »

Offline Rayndalf

Re: Onnimar TKL Custom Keyboard Design.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 17:22:37 »
I like it. It's not the most distinctive or revolutionary design, but it makes use of a proven PCB and a design that could be machined cost effectively.

Did you use Fusion360 or Inventor?

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 17:38:20 »
I like it. It's not the most distinctive or revolutionary design, but it makes use of a proven PCB and a design that could be machined cost effectively.

Did you use Fusion360 or Inventor?

Thank you, believe it or not, this was the more complex variation :D. I guess I just like simplicity.

This was the other more simple design:
243757-0

I am lucky enough to have access to Solidworks through my work. However, I would use Fusion360 if not.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 17:42:43 by Onnimar »

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:38:21 »
Looking good!
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:40:55 »
I really ought to give Solidworks a try. I've had decent luck with Inventor (Fusion360 seems like a more streamlined version of Inventor, but I didn't spend enough time to really 'get' the workflow), but I struggled modelling contoured keywells (I gave up on something as complex as the Dactyl/Kinesis Advantage and made a curved ortho plate instead).
243759-0

As a render I think I prefer the more minimal case, but in person I can imagine the deeper side cuts would work better (and functionally make the board easier to pickup to reposition)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:41:09 »
looks good, f13 layout is always cool. what type of mounting style did you go with?
I love Elzy

Offline kkatano

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:34:02 »
Exciting project! I'm happy to see more TKL options.

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 03:24:38 »
I really ought to give Solidworks a try. I've had decent luck with Inventor (Fusion360 seems like a more streamlined version of Inventor, but I didn't spend enough time to really 'get' the workflow), but I struggled modelling contoured keywells (I gave up on something as complex as the Dactyl/Kinesis Advantage and made a curved ortho plate instead).
(Attachment Link)

As a render I think I prefer the more minimal case, but in person I can imagine the deeper side cuts would work better (and functionally make the board easier to pickup to reposition)

Oh yeah modeling something like the Dactyl/Kinesis Advantage is a challenge. It's very hard to reverse engineer something like that. I really recommend giving Solidworks a try, it's a lot easier to learn and use.

I might end up getting the simpler one made as well in the future. I have some close friends who want one already and likes the simpler one too.

looks good, f13 layout is always cool. what type of mounting style did you go with?

I went with a top mount style but did keep gasket mounting in mind during the design. Similar to the Jane V2 mounting style which I drew inspiration from. So in theory it can do both but I would have to test the gasket mounting when I have the prototype.

Offline Onnimar

Re: Onnimar TKL Custom Keyboard Design (UPDATE: Prototype in hand.)
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:45:30 »
Update: Prototype in hand.

244744-0

244746-1

244748-2

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:58:17 »
Honestly, looking good man! :thumb:

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:42:38 »
Based on the prototype I'd say the steeper undercuts where the right choice. That looks really good!

Offline BruceDinh

• Explorer | Artist | Petrolhead
    • ORI CLUB
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 11:58:56 »
Awesomeeee  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 12:30:57 »
Good looking F13 board, minus the Omnimar logo on top. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:58:21 »
Good looking F13 board, minus the Omnimar logo on top. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Thank you. Do you mean the logo on the front of the case? Do you prefer no logo at all or is it just the logo design isn't good?

Based on the prototype I'd say the steeper undercuts where the right choice. That looks really good!

Yes I agree! It came out really nice. Thank you.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 16:07:52 »

Thank you. Do you mean the logo on the front of the case? Do you prefer no logo at all or is it just the logo design isn't good?

Yes I agree! It came out really nice. Thank you.

most people usually prefer no logo there or at the very least have it vertically and horizontally centered, it does look a little jarring right now. examples of boards with logos there that people favor are the tgr janes, 360 corsa, n-dash, and more.
I love Elzy

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 06:33:28 »
most people usually prefer no logo there or at the very least have it vertically and horizontally centered, it does look a little jarring right now. examples of boards with logos there that people favor are the tgr janes, 360 corsa, n-dash, and more.

I see thank you for the feedback. I really struggle with logos. I tried different no logo designs in that area to make the keyboard unique but it was tricky and just made the keyboard more expensive to machine. I have made some renders for a no logo and a centered logo design. Maybe this looks better?

244817-0   244819-1

244821-2
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2020, 06:45:33 by Onnimar »

Offline TBone

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 10:23:53 »
My vote would be for no logo on the front -- only one on the back. Keep it clean and simple.

If you're trying to differentiate this model on the front, I think just a design or symbol would look better. Maybe just a line or two across in the blank space. Maybe 2 or 3 dots equally spaced in that area. Or like a square, circle, triangle? A tri-force (Zelda)?  :) I know sometimes my right hand rests there and it'd be cool to have something tactile to feel and play with...if that makes sense lol sounds weird when I type it out. It could maybe even be back filled or colored differently. Idk. Just throwing ideas out there.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 17:18:54 »
I actually thought the original logo was fine (maybe a little "commercial" or Coolermasteresque but not offensive)

The centered logo is my least favorite. Blank or original would be my vote, but a symbol or design (circles and lines like a Sunbeam T20?) would also work. I'm not sure if its possible, but the logo could go on the front edge like a tenkeyless Filco.

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 08:09:50 »
After some playing around with different logo/shape designs, I decided to remove it entirely since that was the most preferred and would be cheapest. I won't be making a prototype of the no logo top frame but it will be implemented into the CAD files for when I release the project and make it open source.

Update on the project:
  • Installed bumpons to the bottom case
  • Received gasket rods of different shore hardnesses but can't test it out yet.
  • Got some high-density 2mm EVA foam cut for the case.
  • Still waiting for screws (I'm using some temporary screws), H88 PBC (lead time: another 4 weeks)
  • Ordered some Gateron Black Ink switches, lube, switch film and some smokey Durock stabilisers to match the switches.

I would just like to mention that the keyboard anodising is not completely black as I had originally thought. After staring at it every morning when I wake up I have come to noticed that it's just a very very dark grey and in some lightings, you can see the grey much easier.

I was thinking of doing a super short step by step walkthrough on how I made my own keyboard but I'm not sure as there is a lot of information out there already. What do you think?

More Photos While I wait for parts to come in.

245258-0245260-1245262-2245256-3

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2020, 08:13:00 by Onnimar »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:29:35 »
After some playing around with different logo/shape designs, I decided to remove it entirely since that was the most preferred and would be cheapest. I won't be making a prototype of the no logo top frame but it will be implemented into the CAD files for when I release the project and make it open source.

Update on the project:
  • Installed bumpons to the bottom case
  • Received gasket rods of different shore hardnesses but can't test it out yet.
  • Got some high-density 2mm EVA foam cut for the case.
  • Still waiting for screws (I'm using some temporary screws), H88 PBC (lead time: another 4 weeks)
  • Ordered some Gateron Black Ink switches, lube, switch film and some smokey Durock stabilisers to match the switches.

I would just like to mention that the keyboard anodising is not completely black as I had originally thought. After staring at it every morning when I wake up I have come to noticed that it's just a very very dark grey and in some lightings, you can see the grey much easier.

I was thinking of doing a super short step by step walkthrough on how I made my own keyboard but I'm not sure as there is a lot of information out there already. What do you think?

More Photos While I wait for parts to come in.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Turned out nice, too bad about the anodizing. I think this hobby could always use more resources, and there's more than one way to do something so your personal take on it can be valuable so do it if you want to.
I love Elzy

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:40:16 »
Even anodization between the top and bottom of the case with good texture and no blotches > perfect color accuracy

Black + metallic seems destined to be grey anyway, but that's a nice dark gray (like N9).

Offline Muchacho

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:42:03 »
[...] It's not the most distinctive or revolutionary design [...]

And paradoxically there is currently no offer for such a keyboard. Simple, TKL, WK, aluminium, PCB compatible with several other cases.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:44:01 by Muchacho »