Author Topic: The ClickClack GIVEAWAY is now over.Winner has been picked.  (Read 31922 times)

Offline Glissant

THE GIVEAWAY IS OVER! Thanks to everyone that participated.

Djuzuh has posted some pics of his winnings here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?32074-Glissant-s-give-away-Click-clack-skull-!&p=607306#post607306

Here's the recording I promised. A short little thing that shows me drawing the winner.

[video=youtube;u7Tc9jWXaS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Tc9jWXaS0[/video]

Congratulations to DJUZUH for winning my first giveaway!

I got my CC skulls from Canada today, so it's time to celebrate what I think is a pretty great community.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50484[/ATTACH]

And by celebrate I mean give away free stuff! I am giving away my factory second blue ClickClack skull :dance:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50485[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50486[/ATTACH]
Look at that beauty!

So what do you have to do to win this awesome key cap?
Well, since I think a community is all about sharing, I thought we could make the giveaway a little personal.
All you have to do is tell us a little about yourself, how you got into keyboards, and why YOU should win the skull.
Oh, and before I forget! Post your entry right here in the thread (thanks I3oilermaker).

I will be accepting entries until May 29th 2012 at 1:00PM PST.
The winner will be picked randomly through random.org at the conclusion of the giveaway. BUT you won't be entered unless you do what is asked to enter, so make sure you have your entry up to snuff. Post something if you had to update your post.
Your username will only be recorded as an entry once.

Shipping will be on my dime too, so don't worry about it =).

Good luck to everyone! And I look forward to reading all the entries.

I won't exclude users that already have CC's. If you want to enter, that's your choice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2012, 07:11:08 by Glissant »

Offline Glissant

The ClickClack GIVEAWAY is now over.Winner has been picked.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:27:34 »
Here's the list of entrants so far. If your name is not on the list, but it should be, send me a private message.

• Ripster
  • I3oilermaker
  • tobr1an
  • imersa
  • Cactux (Mod)
  • TexasFlood
  • hashbaz
  • Biniaris (Mod)
  • fohat.digs
  • WyldKard
  • Drew Baumann
  • sth
  • jdcarpe
  • Sifo
  • RiffRaff
  • bionicroach
  • captain
  • The_Beast
  • Djuzuh <--- WINNER
  • Lukasevic
  • dirge
  • ChatoicKinesis
  • PixelVandalism
  • wilsongunawan
  • snoopy
  • Reptile (Mod)
  • dasein.phil
  • theOwlol
  • inlikeflynn
  • JesuswasaZombie (Mod)
  • Game Theory
  • audioave10
  • Quarzac (Mod)
  • OddOne
  • SmallFry (Mod)
  • WRXChris
  • Halvorsen
  • longweight
  • Occi
  • njvz
  • Zamorph (Mod)
  • Distilled
  • Solanin
  • props_go_round
  • megnin
  • csm725
  • Bavman (Mod)
  • Greenbean
  • nolliepoper (Mod)
  • clickclack (ROFL)
  • retsteel
[/SIZE]
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 May 2012, 17:50:38 by Glissant »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:29:42 »
Wow Glissant you Rock!  Are you looking for entries in posts here or in PMs?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:31:51 »
I would love for all entries to be posted here as a reply to the thread =). I clarified that in the first post too, thanks!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:38:41 »
Well I will make my case, even though the decision is made by a random generator...

I have a bunch of friends and we are all pretty well networked in the IT field.  We have an email listserve that we use to share cool things we come across.  All my buddies started talking about mechanical keyboards and I didn't really see the point.  They kept talking it up and finally I was convinced.  In the process of researching keyboard options I stumbled upon GeekHack and saw all the cool things you could do.  I was pretty much addicted from there on out.

I have been trying to acquire a ClickClack since I joined GH but for those like me on the hunt know it is not easy.  It is a bit frustrating seeing people like ripster, dangwang, cactux with their own army of ClickClack and my best attempts to get just one at silly prices ($50 bids) have failed.  I have heard so much about how great the keys are and really want to join the club :)

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:43:21 »
As a kid I've gone through many keyboards trying to set up my computer desk like a command center, but at the same time I also remember my mom's old ibm keyboard at work and how I would random hit every key because I like the sound it made. So time grew on and I had given up on keyboards when I went to college and had a laptop, but shortly after college, I realized my old keyboard was trash and needed a new one, after much research it brought me to mechanical keyboards. After a little more digging it brought me to GH where my money is constantly wasted. Personally I DON'T think I should win since I already have a couple CC's while others have none, but this contest is 100% random and not based on need so....why not. I joined GH in April 2011, and only recently acquired my first CC in February, and it took me 10 months after finding out about them. So I am not gonna post a sap story about not having one cause no one wants to read those, and I doubt anyone acquired their CC's easily. And although Dangwang has quite a few, he also LOST quite a few in the mail, and I am sure that hurts more than anyone's "need" for one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:49:24 by ekw808 »
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:58:16 »
IMO you shall exclude people with cc.
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline tobr1an

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:04:05 »
I'm just a normal kid with extra time on his hand to watch gamers play games. I first got into keyboards is by watching gamers stream. Watching Destiny caught my attention as every time he press a button I hear the click clack and soon fell in love with it. Realizing the amazing sound he made I did some research about what keyboard destiny use and then I somehow found geekhack and started to go on geekhack everyday. I hope I win the skull because who doesn't like free stuff, but the chances of that are slim due to the fact it being random. So may the odds be with me!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:04:38 »
OCD and this is what I'm focused on at the moment.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:09:52 »
My name is Justin.
I am pretty new to the forum but of course ended up here because of keyboards.

I made the mistake/blessing in disguise of buying a steelseries keyboard. At the time all I knew was that mechnaical keyboards ARE better.. I was then introduced to this wonderful forum by a friend and learnt a lot fast (byebye steelseries, hello filco). I have since spent hours each day reading/learning from the forum and its members.

I have even made a new friend to add to facebook through keyboards. Keyboard <3!

I'd love to win the skull just as much as the next person! I've only managed to get hold of CC with a hefty price tag so a gift would be somewhat epic!

Cheers Glissant! Great opportunity!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:10:27 »
If you have a CC and still choose to participate that is up to you. I don't play favorites. I'm just giving away a skull here, and all I want in return is some personality =).

I'm loving the entries already. Helps me see people in a way different light. It's no longer "that person with that name".

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:12:06 »
Quote from: cactux;593493
IMO you shall exclude people with cc.

I agree, mostly because I am clickclackless, :wink:

I got into collecting keyboards when seeing some solid build nice keyboards getting tossed at work.  These were mostly promised to resellers so wasn't really legit to snag them however I did manage to glom onto a Northgate Ultra and a yellowed Dell which turned out to have pink alps, probably more I can't think of right now.  I cry these days when I think of the multitude of IBM buckling spring keyboards that got sent to landfills but what can you do?  I think it was finding the Northgate in storage in the basement and looking for some additional info that lead me here.  Of course as is the case with most who find geekhack, my wallet suffered and I have a few more keyboards and associated scorn from my wife who JUST doesn't appreciate what jewels those keyboards are, hah.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:22:04 »
If I win the keycap I will give it a way too

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:32:10 »
I was vaguely aware for a long time that there were expensive keyboards out there that were fundamentally better than the ones available at Best Buy.  I used a Kinesis Advantage at work and just knew that it felt miles better than what I had at home, and I was aware of Model Ms, having used one as a kid on my dad's computer.

It wasn't until I got into Starcraft 2 that I heard the term "mechanical keyboard" though, and started looking into it.  What finally led me to geekhack was looking for ways to dye keycaps in order to get the classic SC checkerboard look without having to buy two keyboards.  I found iMav's epic RIT dye thread through google and branched out from there.  Like boiler, I knew pretty much immediately that I needed to be part of this community.  I spent an unhealthy amount of time lurking the forum for a few weeks, reading everything and coming up to speed on acronyms and personalities and whatnot, and obsessing about my initial purchases (a blue-switch Filco and a Unicomp).

I enjoy being here immensely and have made many friends, and have met up with a few of them IRL.  Thanks, geekhack!  TBH I don't understand the obsession with ClickClack skulls, but I certainly wouldn't mind having one.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:36:39 »
I got into mech keyboards because my friend said they were good.

I think I should win the clickclack skull because I'm awesome.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 17:59:38 »
This is very very nice of you to do this...inspired to done one of my own :D if you don't mind
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:08:45 »
I got into computing in 1984 when I took a 6-month beginners' class. I was 7 years out of college, recently divorced, and living with my cousin and her husband in a new city. We worked on Apple IIs and I really enjoyed it.

Afterwards, I got a job in an Architectural firm and we were just starting to get into CAD. I bought my first computer in 1985, a PCs-Limited (I dealt with Michael Dell) 286 AT clone with a 5.25" floppy, 20MB Winchester, and a whopping 1MB of RAM (which I had to split off the last third into a virtual floppy drive D: (pretty bad-ass back then) because I could only address 640KB directly), a small amber monitor, and a no-name OEM keyboard with clicky keys (which I honestly never pulled and examined in the 12 years I owned it!). The whole setup cost me $2800 without a printer and was a bargain at the time.

About 1994 I got a hand-me-down 486 from my geek brother-in-law, and shelved the old system. A few years later I gave it away, and regretted it since, especially the Epson dot-matrix printer (I would love to have another one of those, fading or smearing ink? forget it). I resisted Windows until mid-1998, when I had to jump in because of my job.

With the new 1998 Dell system that I boss provided me, I got an AT-101 which was lovely and I still have it, going strong. When I left that job in 2003, I bought a Compaq system which came with an SK-2800C keyboard (an excellent rubber dome with media keys) which I used regularly for about 6 years. I liked it so well, I even bought a few spares at yard sales, etc, when I saw them especially cheap.

Then, a couple of years ago, I bought a couple of really old keyboards at a thrift store for a couple of dollars each. One was a Northgate Omnikey 102, which I remembered my brother-in-law having owned many years earlier and always raving about it. The Northgate felt great, and I was really getting excited about it, but it had a couple of bum keys. I eventually sold it on ebay (I faithfully disclosed the bad keys) and resurrected the Dell AT-101. It was better than I remembered.

Fast forward a bit. After only a couple of internet searches I realized that the IBM Model M was "The One True Keyboard" and in another couple of searches I was here.

My first ebay Model M was a beautiful 1991 black label in perfect condition for $45 delivered (that was late 2010 I think).

Then I started branching out, and who knows where. I am fortunate that I live in the suburbs where there are a lot of yard sales, and my job has me driving by numerous thrift stores, so I drag in something interesting at least once a month, and although most is junk, I do hit on a really nice board every once in a while. I am a natural-born tinkerer, so vintage stuff appeals to me.

I have bought a number of keyboards online, new and used, and re-sold most of them (the ones that were junk got junked). But although I have occasionally made modest profits, I have suffered an overall loss, to be sure. My worst "addiction" situation came last summer, when I really started lusting after an IBM Model F AT (thanks to all the Geekhack raves). From about May 2011 until about August, there were maybe 1 or 2 for auction on ebay, total, and they went for prices that I thought were absurd. Then, from about August-September, there was one listed about every week or 2, and I was bidding way high against another buyer (or 2 or 3). They all sold for way too much, and I was feeding the flames. I eventually bought about 4, over the course of about 2-3 months, and ended up selling 3 at a loss (because there was at least some modest supply available by then). But, after losing probably a couple of hundred dollars overall, I did end up with one very nice specimen (and a "fair" box). After all that effort, however, I realized that I could not live with the layout.

About then, Soarer came through with the Teensy mod and I got a couple of the big Model F-122s, so I had a wonderful project to keep me busy and a wonderful keyboard to really experience buckling springs on when I finished. Now, to me, Model Ms are second-class in comparison, although they do have the perfect "classic" ANSI layout.

Cherry switches are not in the same class with buckling springs for iron-clad indestructibility, but they have great qualities of their own. There is a lot to be said for small footprints, virgin newness, modern styling, non-beige colors, and native USB cables. And all the cool key caps are MX-only. (But WHY do the LEDs have to be so damn bright?)

I need some sort of tactile feedback, so blues and browns are what satisfy me. I am really looking forward to WASD's new PBT offerings later this year.
I could definitely see getting some reds (with o-rings) for the times when I needed to do "stealth" typing, for the benefit of people around me.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50506[/ATTACH]

PS - but the actual reason that I should win the key is because I have a wife going through menopause, and a daughter going through puberty, at the same time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 08:39:40 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline WyldKard

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:10:16 »
All I recall from my early computer days is that older keyboards _felt_ better than later ones. They could very well have been mechanical, but I didn't know there was a difference until years later. Through highschool and college, I went through several keyboards, which were all rubber domes. I couldn't understand _why_ keyboards were made so cheaply, and just assumed it was in parallel to _everything_ being made cheaper thanks to outsourcing. I didn't realize mechanicals were even still in production.

At one point in college, I came across a Model M, and loved it. It was a beast, but felt so _good_ to type on. I was an aspiring writer as well as an avid gamer, and the Model M stuck close by until I had to downsize my possessions. I stepped back from desktops for personal computing, so was left with scissor switches. I guess I liked them better than crappy rubber domes, but they still didn't _do_ anything for me.

Not long ago, I stepped back and thought about when I most enjoyed writing, and it came back to my older IBM computers and later the Model M. So I jumped back on the wagon and started researching mechnical keyboards, realized I didn't _have_ to buy vintage, and ultimately landed here at Geek Hack. I'm now looking for my second mechanical, and drooling over all the cool keys like Click Clacks that are out there, yet very difficult to get. Why should I get the CC? Other than _really_ loving the design, I'm now trying to promote mechanical keyboards to the unenlightened!
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 18:58:42 by WyldKard »

Offline Drew Baumann

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:35:48 »
Id love a CC! I am new here and got interested when my housemate found out about the Das through Reddit. I played with his, found the feeling to be quiet pleasurable, and put in an order myself.

I decided to buy the Das Keyboard Ultimate Silent because I sometimes look at my fingers when typing and want to break the habit. So far so good!

I found GH after looking into mech keyboards and interest in modifications. I quickly fell deep into this new hobby and hope to be an active member in the community. I am now evangelizing to coworkers and have recently found out one of them wants to make a ceramic key by doing a mold... we will see how that goes. I also hate myself because at highschool and college I could have obtained any of their old keyboards. Oh well. I may do some plundering though come a friends wedding in my college town.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:41:03 »
Been banging away on mechanicals for about 4 years now, mostly buckling springs. I recently started using MX based boards.
I should win because I ALWAYS ask my coworkers if they mind the noise before I use buckling springs or Cherry blues at work.
Also, I have never bought a CC and have no interest in the ridiculous profiteering that comes out of their limited nature. I will cherish my free click clack as a token of goodwill and community building.

Also also, here's some cats dancing.

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 19:18:52 »
Well, I'll start by telling you a little about me, then how I came to join this community.

I got my first computer in late 1983. It was the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. I connected it to my little TV, and it only came preloaded with TI BASIC. I got a cassette tape drive for storage, and learned to write a few simple programs in BASIC. Our family got our first IBM-clone PC in 1987, and it was a "luggable" XT with an 8088 processor and two 5-1/4" floppy drives. Suitcase style! No HDD, though. You had to load DOS 2.2 first, then you could remove the boot floppy and load cool text-based adventure games, Print Master, Lotus 1-2-3, or Word Star. Yay!

I started using mechanical keyboards in 2001, when I bought two Model M's on eBay. One was a NOS 42H1292, and the other was a 51G8572. Both manufactured at Greenock in late 1996. I used them off and on for the last 11 years. When I recently pulled one out and connected it to my system, it got me thinking about mechanical keyboards again. I found Unicomp, did a few searches, and found GH. I knew I had to be a part of this community, I just didn't know how much money I would spend trying out all these different kinds of mechanicals, and the associated keycaps! I did find that I love Filcos with brown switches.

I think CC creates some beautiful keycaps. It's no wonder they are among the most highly prized and sought after items here at GH. I should win one because I can value the artistic value above the financial value of it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:12:49 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:27:36 »
^ If I win I will give it to you, in that way you can do some keyboard science ;-)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:27:54 »
And you sort of have to actually enter to be able to win anything ;)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:37:56 »
You are, Ripster. Even #1 in my spreadsheet.

Edit:
boost, that would be awesome! I couldn't even try to find a reason why it wouldn't be OK. High five!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:40:05 »
Then I'll have two ;). Does yours flip the bird too?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:46:56 »
One of my korean coworkers bought a hhkb and I was impress with the size factor. I started looking for more details regarding this board and I found GH, I fall in love with cc keycaps and Topre ;-)

Am I in now?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:53:25 by cactux »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 20:51:04 »
I'm Sifo I'm some kid who's been on the internet his whole life and I spend like 99% of my day looking at a digital screen. I like StarCraft and eSports in general, and I like to type. I got into keyboards when I first bought a Qsenn DT-35 for playing StarCraft, which I still think is the greatest keyboard in the world (it's not just any rubber dome board!), but I prefer mechanical boards because they're the trend (and because I love mx blues and spending money on keycaps). I got into mechanical keyboards when I saw a teamliquid thread on mechanical keyboards, convinced my friend to buy a black widow and I tried it out. Then I ended up buying my own WASD board, tested out a few other ones, and I'm getting a Filco soon. I should win the clickclack because I like cats.
I love Elzy

Offline Glissant

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:05:48 »
Ripster, that's simply brilliant. Made me laugh a good belly laugh.

cactux, nope.

Thanks so everybody that put some effort into this. I really appreciate reading about all of you.
It's fun to see the reasons why people should win the skull =D.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50509[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 17:51:08 by Glissant »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:33:34 »
In early 2007, I was diagnosed with CRDS. I spoke to several experts who provided some assistance, but provided little direction in the best potential cure. It wasn't until I made a personal effort to go online and research it myself that I came across GeekHack. I'm happy to report that I am now CRDS free and have built a fairly strong immunity to CRDS aka. “Cheap Rubber Dome Syndrome”

Literally though, I got tired of the crappy Dell keyboard I took from work so I decided to go old school and pick up a mechanical Filco with browns.

Why should I win the skull? Great question!

Unfortunately, since finding GeekHack I have contracted a new condition known by many GH members as EWS or more simply "Empty Wallet Syndrome" and I "heart" ClickClacks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:36:57 by RiffRaff »

Offline bionicroach

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:38:51 »
Like Ripster, I first found GH when trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my Das III.  Unlike Ripster, I'm a cat enthusiast and lurker who's screaming along at 0.22 posts per day.  I do manage to participate in a group buy every now and then and occasionally post a YouTube video that gets deleted in a system rollback.  I'm probably sufficiently qualified to answer most noob questions by now, so I suppose I should make more of an effort to do that.  For those too young to recognize my avatar, the computer that got me hooked was the Amiga 1000.  I actually still have it and it still runs fine.  I keep it on my desk at work to confuse people.

I should win the CC key because I don't have a blue one yet, and because my wife can't yell at me for a keyboard related "non-purchase".

Offline kaen

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:42:37 »
I do not have a CC, I would like a CC, that is all.

Offline captain

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:52:21 »
I had a lot of keyboards under my fingers over the years, both alphanumeric and musical. From pianos I knew about actions. From myriad tech jobs, and temping in IT, I must have had a unique experience of typing on scores, if not hundreds, of different kinds of keyboards, so when it came time to get one for myself, I knew that the Magitronic FK-5000 was the one for me. What I didn't know was WHY. That I learned from these fora over the past several months, when I finally had had enough of Apple's crap, and went in search of a replacement for the FK (complicated Alps, BTW) which had started acting up a few years ago. I have really enjoyed being introduced to the modern world of mechanical keyboards, just as Apple has started foisting gorilla glass fingertip pain upon the world.  I expect my Filcos to outlast me this time, and thanks to ripster's guides I may even get the old FK working again. :-)

If I win the ClickClack, I think I will donate it to the geek hack who has shown the greatest kindness, compassion, love, humor, and maturity to this community.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2012, 22:01:07 by captain »
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 22:22:56 »
The whole reason I got into mechanical keyboards was that I was tried of typing on shotty rubber domes and just wanted better peripherals. So I looked into better keyboards, found mechanical, looked at pictures and saw the cool key cap designs. I was hooked, I asked on a tech website and was recommended to GH for more information. I came here, asked a question, bought a WASD and have been hooked ever since. I still don't understand the huge appeal behind the CC keys, so this will be my only opportunity to get a CC key since I'll probably never buy one.

Anyways, good luck to all :)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 23:29:37 »
I got into mech keyboards because I stumbled on the DAS*site one day (don't remember how), and then shortly afterwards I learned a friend of mine owns one. I then, on reddit, saw hazelstuffs thread about the LoL keyset and DangWang's picture about the pink keyboard for his girlfriend.

This is the moment I started to read a bit about geekhack. After one weak of being here, A Filco was in the mail for me ! I couldn't resist longer.

BUT*I*REGRET*NOTHING. Also, I'd like the CC*because I have none, and would like to see how they feel.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 00:04:49 »
Quote from: Djuzuh
DangWang's picture about the pink keyboard for his girlfriend.

Honorable mention deserves an honorable story! I won't go into the details of my origins, but I do love the way the community has evolved over the past year and a half.  I'm not really a veteran around here, but I've lurked for long enough to see it vastly grow almost overnight.  

It was just like the days of yesteryears, when it was difficult to even buy a Filco.  First EK had them, then they didn't...and all of a sudden there was a shortage in America.  Months passed by as the USA was suffering Filco withdrawals, where the only place you could get your fix was from PCHome.  And thank God, when they had them, they weren't overcharging (especially with their awesome shipping deal).  But anyway, with the abundance of new users coming to these forums, I'm hoping we can all grow into a better, stronger, knowledgeable community.

Offline Lukasevic

• World Famous Gamer™
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:08:03 »
My journey with mechanical keyboards began with my brother's interest in switches and their longevity over membrane boards. It took me a bit of time to save, but after a little time, I got my first keyboard about two years ago. A scorpius m10 cherry mx blue.

My brother also showed me the CC skull keycaps, and it sparked my interest in the modding capacity of this great community. After a few months of lurking, I wanted to become a part of GH. I think I should win because I want to return the favor and for bringing me into the fold of his hobby, I would give the key to my brother. :)

My favorite part of being here? I get to see and interact with brilliant artists daily. I cherrish being here because very few hobbies can offer this level of involvement and gratification with just an "idea". :-)
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 21:56:10 by Lukasevic »

Offline dirge

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:08:27 »
I got into this after constant annoyance using an apple keyboard.
Went looking for mechanical KB advice and ended up here.
I've now ran one group buy at no profit, helped people where I can and now I'm trying to convert vintage boards with teensy's.
All this and I don't have a clack due to being in the wrong timezone and asleep during the sales :(
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:52:55 »
I have been around computers for most of my life and have been spending the majority of my day in front of one for some years now. A bit over a year ago I began my search for the ultimate keyboard. After trying out many of the well-regarded rubberdomes, I knew there has to be something else out there.

About 6 months ago, I discovered mechanical keyboards. I started out with a Ducky Shining with browns. A few months later I discovered Geekhack. Since then I've tried keyboards with blacks, blues, and Topre key switches before settling on what I have now.

Now I'm working on my keycap collection. Since first seeing them, I have been in search of a CC skull keycap. Given their lack of availability and very high asking price, I've yet to acquire one. If I win, I will be very happy. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 02:26:08 by ChaoticKinesis »

Offline snowboarder3

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:59:07 »
You should send the CC to me because... uhh... nevermind you should send it to someone who doesn't have any :)

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 02:00:54 »
I got into keyboards in December, when a strange man from the internet offered to buy my friend and I a present from PCCG. (He wasn't that strange, we knew him quite well)
He was giving us a whole lot of ****, and ended up making us pick numbers, He was going to "buy" me some Roccat keyboard? I said what about this one instead, it was a black widow.
I then came here seeking a better keyboard, still not knowing the he wasn't actually going to buy us anything, I decided on a full size leopold with browns.
He ended up not buying us anything, and never spoke to us again..
I bought the leopold.
I should win the CC, because...
I just should.

Probably the worst story ever..
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 02:12:57 by PixelVandalism »

Offline Glissant

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 05:42:28 »
Just updated my list of entrants. I think it is true, people don't care to read on a keyboard forum. They only want to type ;). Make of that what you wish.

I hope you all are reading each others posts. There are some really good ones =).

Don't forget to read the simple instructions in the first post ;).

Offline wilsongunawan

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 06:46:25 »
Hi there,
I'm Wilson, IT student.

I've been a geekhack members for 6 months now. Pretty much, i'm checking this website out almost every single day.
First time i got really involve into keyboards was because of game. When playing game, i thought a cool and good keyboard will boost the mood of playing well which mostly will lead to winnning. So, I started to research on different types of keyboard starting from google and that is how i ended up here. I was a keyboard freak since then i could say. I owned a few keyboard now and collect different types of unique and quirky caps.

I think i should win this caps this time because i've entered this kind of giveaway few times before and i had no luck. So i hope i could win this one and that would mean the world to me cos the cap is looking GREAT! Besides, this would look good in adding to my collections. i havent had a skull caps till now. so if i could get this one...WOW. that would be awesome.

Thanks so much. Cheers.
Currrent : Siig minitouch <blue monterrey alps>, kbt-RACE <cherry mx-red> with green LED, Filco MJ2 <cherry mx-ergoClear>, IBM model M

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 07:35:43 »
My name is Jan, I'm 26 and a german computer-science student. Since a long time I only use ThinkPads in my daily life.
A while ago I saw a Noppoo Choc mini in a non-keyboard related board. After some research I came here to geekhack.

My first mechanical keyboard buy was the noppoo. I immediately equiped it with german cherry corps doubleshots. My next keyboard purchase was an old Apple m0110. Cause I love the style of it. It will be my first keboard-mod-project.

Some days ago, I bought a HHKB Pro2. Can't wait for it. :-)

Until now, I didn't have the chance to obtain a clickclack keycap. I'm participating in a lot of groupbuys. Geekhack takes all my money... :D

I need a clickclack, because I hope it scares the hell outta my girlfriend and she never ever touches my keyboard again :-)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:32:33 by snoopy »

Offline Glissant

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 09:27:19 »
The wonderful money-sink that is Geekhack =). I know it too well already with all of the group buys going on. Was it always this crazy? I don't know how people can keep up with jobs, a spouse, school, dog, cat, birds, sisters, brothers, etc...
There are 23 entries so far. The odds aren't too bad... yet!

It's amazing that so many have opted to follow the instructions. I thought we had stopped reading when we got our keyboards.. it's all about typing now, right?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50552[/ATTACH]

Think about this by the way; If you decide to be a poor sport, I might decide to be a poor sport.

Capiche?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50553[/ATTACH]

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 10:56:38 »
oh now im curious ripster.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Reptile

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 11:29:56 »
Sup guys. My name is Ben and I am 23 years old. I am currently a level 2 tech for a IT company in Boise, Idaho. Nothing fancy just IT support for small businesses in the area. I was first told about mechanical keyboards from my friend who had a Zowie Celeritas. The weird layout bugged me and I ended up getting a Filco MJ1 with browns. I think my first post was asking about a keyboard but it ended up being a rubber dome :-(

In about a year I have/had a keyboard with every cherry switch. My Realforce 55gram and Linear R are my favorite; But I do miss my SSK :hat:

I think I should get the skull because I only have 1 mx one :-(
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 16:15:03 by Reptile »
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 12:07:12 »
I can trace my entry into the keyboard world quite accurately.

I love typing. My grandmother knows shorthand (not sure which system she uses) because she was a secretary long ago. This led me to learn (a few years ago) what court reporters did. I was always fascinated by them, but had no idea what kind of keyboard or technology they used to record people's words at such high speeds. So, I learned that they used Steno machines, and I obsessed about this for months. I considered getting myself one of these machines so I could teach myself a system of stenography, but I didn't. However, I did find "Plover" which is an open source translation/steno dictionary program for Linux. That led me to looking into keyboards with N-key rollover (as steno typing requires pushing several keys simultaneously), which led me to mechanical keyboards, and to geekhack. While I've put my steno obsession on the back burner for now, I am obsessed with everything keyboard related.

And btw, I'm teaching myself Gregg shorthand over the summer.

I think I should win this because I'm just such a nice person. SO nice. People have a hard time hating me because of how well I treat them, and I'm overly considerate of people's feelings. Which is why it's always a little off-putting for people when I show them my skull collection. Not skull keycaps, skulls. Human skulls. I open my closet to show people and then I just stare at them with a dead serious expression. For some reason, I don't have many friends, so I really think I should win this keycap. o_o
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 16:12:49 by Playtrumpet »
Dvorak

Offline Glissant

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:10:46 »
Don't forget to give a reason for why you should win. It's important to at least read one sentence in the first post.

I added a clarification and highlighted what is needed for a valid entry.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50563[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:22:15 by Glissant »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:14:06 »
Quote from: Glissant;594120
Don't forget to give a reason for why you should win.

Ok. Edited my own post for clarity as well. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:18:17 »
Quote from: Glissant;594120
Don't forget to give a reason for why you should win. It's important to at least read one sentence in the first post.

I added a clarification and highlighted what is needed for a valid entry.

(Attachment Link) 50560[/ATTACH]

Are you going to post a list of valid entrants?