Author Topic: What are my options for blank black?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
What are my options for blank black?
« on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:39:00 »
Hey Geekhackers (:

I am looking for a set of black blank PBT. I would prefer thick. I know some option are Ivans thick black set, or the vortex set, but both are really hard to get a hold of and obtain!

I wouldn't mind buying second hand but the ones that go up always get snatched/picked up super fast!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Re: What are my options for blank black?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:50:15 »
http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-black-blank-thick-pbt-full-keyset/

?

DO you know how these compare to Vortex or Ivan's PBT in terms of thickness and quality?

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:20:43 »
**** it
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:53:16 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:25:19 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dummytim

• Keyboards = Life
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:50:13 »
You could always just buy a thick PBT white set and just dye them black.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 01:38:07 »

A lot of trouble when you could just buy a black set.

Plus PBT is more difficult to dye, isn't it?

Offline dummytim

• Keyboards = Life
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 04:04:21 »

Could be cheaper but more of a hassle.

I did a quick google search on dying PBT caps, and it doesn't seem any worse than ABS. I guess you just need the right dye, and right timings for dying and everything. Might need some trial and error before succeeding though.

Also if you do decide to dye, you would then get life experience! How many people can actually say that they've dyed their own keycaps?? :P

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 04:26:41 »

Could be cheaper but more of a hassle.

I did a quick google search on dying PBT caps, and it doesn't seem any worse than ABS. I guess you just need the right dye, and right timings for dying and everything. Might need some trial and error before succeeding though.

Also if you do decide to dye, you would then get life experience! How many people can actually say that they've dyed their own keycaps?? :P

PBT is better than ABS for dyes, since it can withstand higher temperatures needed to function with the common dyes used for keycaps. ABS will warp.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:09:52 »
Like rowdy said, I rather just buy a black set and not have to go through all the work! Still looking for suggestions for alternative sets besides the Vortex, Ivans, and the Geekkey ones!

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:19:03 »
You have a high enough post count to put up a WTB in the classifieds. Then put a (small) link in your sig to it. With patience you'll get that perfect set at the right price.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:34:45 »
You have a high enough post count to put up a WTB in the classifieds. Then put a (small) link in your sig to it. With patience you'll get that perfect set at the right price.

Yes! Do this! And when Ivan's most recent buy starts shipping I'm sure you will get a set in no time. Someone may even give up the set they have on order if they aren't feeling it anymore.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:37:12 »

Yes! Do this! And when Ivan's most recent buy starts shipping I'm sure you will get a set in no time. Someone may even give up the set they have on order if they aren't feeling it anymore.

That's a great idea! I forget I'm no longer a pleb! It's time to start my own WTB/WTS classified and keep editing it forever to build it up!

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:38:12 »
That's a great idea! I forget I'm no longer a pleb! It's time to start my own WTB/WTS classified and keep editing it forever to build it up!

Sounds like a plan. It is also a great way to meet people on here. Do a smooth transaction and you've got a new friend.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:52:32 »
You could also go through the thread and see if anyone has already offered their set for sale / trade there. If not, it's also worth posting in the thread that you're interested in buying if anyone wants to sell.

If you find it really hard to get a set, I'll be willing to sell you one of mine (from the first run), but it'd be better to find one in the same country.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:59:06 »
You could also go through the thread and see if anyone has already offered their set for sale / trade there. If not, it's also worth posting in the thread that you're interested in buying if anyone wants to sell.

If you find it really hard to get a set, I'll be willing to sell you one of mine (from the first run), but it'd be better to find one in the same country.

I'm assuming you have Ivan's blank black set? I just posted a classifieds thread. And I understand what you mean, I greatly prefer CONUS, since shipping anywhere that's not CONUS can be a huge pain (and take weeks to a month).

1swt2gs classifieds!