Author Topic: [IC] GSKT-00  (Read 79245 times)

Offline keebweeb

Re: [IC] GSKT-00
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:25:58 »
Really excited for this board!

A question though: due to the lack of control keys in the corners of the HHKB version this reduces the effective ``diameter'' that the gasket is stretched around, correct? Does this reduced tautness of the gasket have any impact on the mounting or the feel/sound? Also asking because looking at the case and PCB pictures it seems like the gasket might not rest on its bottom right and left ledges if the bottom right and left switches aren't there.

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 00:10:02 »
I'm all over this. A bit new to the hobby. Can someone explain the difference between full-plate and half-plate?

Offline jrs

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 00:22:02 »
I'm all over this. A bit new to the hobby. Can someone explain the difference between full-plate and half-plate?
With the full plate, all of the switches are backed by a plate.  With the half plate, the plate just goes around the edge and usually behind the modifier keys, and the switches in the middle mount directly to the PCB.  There is more flex with the half plate.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 00:51:18 »
super excited for this, gonna be trying my best to get in on this. have an idb but absolutely want more soft and flexy boards

curious though as to how thick the acrylic plate will be? and are there any issues with flex and fragility? i've used a 3mm laser cut acrylic plate and found it to be fairly fragile in certain areas, cracking while trying to force in certain switches.

Offline Stewiedk97

• Professional overcomplicator
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 03:00:04 »
Polycarbonate top won't be an option unfortunately, will still cap on a silver WKL though!

Offline weaston

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 06:48:08 »
Really excited for this board!

A question though: due to the lack of control keys in the corners of the HHKB version this reduces the effective ``diameter'' that the gasket is stretched around, correct? Does this reduced tautness of the gasket have any impact on the mounting or the feel/sound? Also asking because looking at the case and PCB pictures it seems like the gasket might not rest on its bottom right and left ledges if the bottom right and left switches aren't there.

The assembly still rests on all pillars, this was accounted for when the pillar placements were decided on. As for this affecting anything, no it doesn't. The gasket is already fairly tight around the assembly so the extra few millimeters on each side that it would "lose" don't affect it in any measurable way.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline weaston

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 06:49:27 »
super excited for this, gonna be trying my best to get in on this. have an idb but absolutely want more soft and flexy boards

curious though as to how thick the acrylic plate will be? and are there any issues with flex and fragility? i've used a 3mm laser cut acrylic plate and found it to be fairly fragile in certain areas, cracking while trying to force in certain switches.

All mx plates will be 1.5mm. Yes an acrylic plate at that thickness could be a bit fragile. If you are worried about being too rough and breaking it then opt for polycarb.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #257 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 07:27:59 »
Hmm. Was thinking of going with red pcb and acrylic half-plate for ultimate bounce but maybe PC would be the more resilient bet. I imagine PC and acrylic would feel pretty similar and PC is less prone to cracking or breaking. Based on what everyone else has said whose used this board, I will likely put it through quite the workout and possibly daily drive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 21:37:09 »
Hmm. Was thinking of going with red pcb and acrylic half-plate for ultimate bounce but maybe PC would be the more resilient bet. I imagine PC and acrylic would feel pretty similar and PC is less prone to cracking or breaking. Based on what everyone else has said whose used this board, I will likely put it through quite the workout and possibly daily drive.

If you want a soft plate with good durability, I highly, highly recommend POM.

Typing on a POM half plate and thin H87A right now, lots of fun and great sound.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 21:48:07 »

If you want a soft plate with good durability, I highly, highly recommend POM.

Typing on a POM half plate and thin H87A right now, lots of fun and great sound.
Hmmm. Never tried POM before. May have to give it a go. This release is giving me serious "I want one of everything" wiplash.

Offline CamARush

• New but trying to learn and join the community
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 16:50:29 »
quick question. would this pcb be compatible with the case? https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-kbd6x-hot-swap-pcb?variant=21861844385840

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 16:53:42 »
quick question. would this pcb be compatible with the case? https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-kbd6x-hot-swap-pcb?variant=21861844385840
No. In this gasket case the pcb has cutouts creating flanges that sit on the gaskets. The gaskets being the only thing that holds them in place. At least as far as I can tell about a case I've never held. Haha.

Offline CamARush

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 17:04:37 »
No. In this gasket case the pcb has cutouts creating flanges that sit on the gaskets. The gaskets being the only thing that holds them in place. At least as far as I can tell about a case I've never held. Haha.

Thanks im guessing there are very few options for other pcbs. I'll just go with a stock one and hopefully i can fit some sockets in them.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #263 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 17:24:32 »

The plate rests on the gaskets, not the PCB.

No, it will not, the case has a center USB port.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline dRpkebs

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 17:34:52 »
Is the GB still on for January 20th?

Offline CamARush

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 17:50:27 »
Does the OP know if hot swap sockets are compatible with the pcb included?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 18:33:35 »

Good call. Then why are the cutouts on the PCB. It must be making room for something. Maybe pillars on the bottom half of the case?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 18:40:56 »

Good call. Then why are the cutouts on the PCB. It must be making room for something. Maybe pillars on the bottom half of the case?

It is more than likely just for alignment purposes and nothing else.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #268 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 18:44:53 »

Ehhhh. I dunno.... I think it'd be hard to get any regular board to fit around those.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 18:48:38 »

Ehhhh. I dunno.... I think it'd be hard to get any regular board to fit around those.

Show Image

Exactly, the cutouts exist in the PCB to align the PCB and plate. Since this is gasket mounted, the plate position is not entirely fixed compared to a top-mount design.

Offline wd9001

• Whoms't | 22nd century schizoid man
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 19:06:45 »

Show Image

Exactly, the cutouts exist in the PCB to align the PCB and plate. Since this is gasket mounted, the plate position is not entirely fixed compared to a top-mount design.

Just to add on to that, the gasket sits between the plate and PCB. The PCB cutouts allow the gasket to sit on the pillars.
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline wd9001

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 19:13:11 »
Hopefully this gives an idea on how the gasket sits on the pillar and what the PCB cutouts are for.

Edit: sorry the the down under picture. The grey line is suppose to be pcb, not plate.
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #272 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 19:19:17 »
Hopefully this gives an idea on how the gasket sits on the pillar and what the PCB cutouts are for.

Edit: sorry the the down under picture. The grey line is suppose to be pcb, not plate.

If I understand it correctly then, the gasket is sandwiched between the PCB and the plate. The cutouts in the PCB allow for the gasket to rest on the pillars on the bottom half of the housing and between the underside of the plate.

Offline wd9001

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 19:21:41 »

If I understand it correctly then, the gasket is sandwiched between the PCB and the plate. The cutouts in the PCB allow for the gasket to rest on the pillars on the bottom half of the housing and between the underside of the plate.

Mmmyes that should be exactly how it works.
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline weaston

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 20:54:39 »
Does the OP know if hot swap sockets are compatible with the pcb included?

I answered this better a few pages back, but because we use a hybrid mx/alps cutout i don't think sockets will work.

Actually the plate position is more or less fixed yes.  There is very little clearance in the plate wings so the plates sit very tight in them.  Their depth is also very specific to make the compression of the gasket hit a certain amount.  The plate isn't floating like the dampened sandwich plates you see from Keycult for example, so there is no manual alignment required.

Not that it matters, just sort of interesting.

Is the GB still on for January 20th?

Yes it should be, I am working to make it happen.

Offline Tyler

• hhkb >
« Reply #275 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 00:56:50 »
Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but what is the estimated turnaround time for this run?

Offline adxlk

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 01:22:49 »
Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but what is the estimated turnaround time for this run?

Can't really give one now, but I know that board manu time would be at least a month if not closer to 2, packing and shipping would be another 3 weeks at least.  That is all assuming the buy reaches the max unit cap.  If I open orders on the 20th then I would need to give at least 2 weeks to pay invoices so it would be probably mid february when the manu order got officially submitted.  I try to keep things as quick as I possibly can and the original GB went quick so let's cross our fingers and hope things stay smooth.

Offline Roadsign1993

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 09:44:35 »
is the GB still planned for the 20th this month ?     

Offline cdhoffmann

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 09:45:15 »
is the GB still planned for the 20th this month ?   

Read literally a few posts above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline willyG

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 10:43:44 »
I am SO hyped for this keyboard. I'm pretty noobie and been lurking - but it seems like a really awesome bandwagon to be jumping in :P.

I have a question about when the drop actually happens - since I've never done this I wanna be ready.... forgive my ignorance.

Assuming you still do the GB via a form, how will we be able to buy multiple plate materials that we want, or 2 cases since that's the limit? Will I need to refresh the form?
I'm mainly curious if I'll need to make another gmail account and be ready to login to both.

GL all.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 10:48:28 »
As a follow on to willyG (and sorry if this has been answered before, I haven't seen it), but will there be an option to buy just additional plates and/or PCBs? I'd love to get a single case and switch out a half vs full plate option. If not, I'm fine with just getting one build, but it'd be cool. Just not sure on the expected quantity available?

Offline weaston

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:05:40 »
Assuming you still do the GB via a form, how will we be able to buy multiple plate materials that we want, or 2 cases since that's the limit? Will I need to refresh the form?
I'm mainly curious if I'll need to make another gmail account and be ready to login to both.

GL all.

As a follow on to willyG (and sorry if this has been answered before, I haven't seen it), but will there be an option to buy just additional plates and/or PCBs? I'd love to get a single case and switch out a half vs full plate option. If not, I'm fine with just getting one build, but it'd be cool. Just not sure on the expected quantity available?

It will be a Google Form.  You will have to fill out an answer for every possible option.  So you'll have the ability to purchase up to the maximum of everything. 

So for example, there will be 2 entire case fields you'll have to fill out or pass on.  4 plate fields, 4 pcb fields, etc.

It makes the form a bit long, but because I am offering so many options and I need to limit amounts, this is the nicest way I have for now and it is still fairly straightforward.

I will try to share a demo form before the real form is up, so people can make sure they understand the process.  Looking to try to get the GB thread up by Sundayish.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:10:10 »
Awesome! I'm a big fan of that form method, way less confusion. Just go down the list, make the selections, and submit. No multiple submissions, etc. Thanks!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:12:33 »
In the case that this blows up during GB, would you restrict people to one board so that as many individuals as possible could get their hands on one?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:34:15 »
Would the form allow for edits or not? There's been some contention in the past with it supposedly incentivising rushing filling out the form, but it also makes it a ton easier for the runner to not have to deal with 50 PMs from people that typo'd their address in and whatnot.

Offline weaston

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:44:29 »
Would the form allow for edits or not? There's been some contention in the past with it supposedly incentivising rushing filling out the form, but it also makes it a ton easier for the runner to not have to deal with 50 PMs from people that typo'd their address in and whatnot.

I do not want to accept edits, what you submit is what will get sent to the factory for the final quote before manufacturing.  Having to keep track of edits across a potential maximum of 200 orders would be a nightmare.  Which is why I want to share the form at least a few hours early so people can see it and get familiar.  Of course there will be the case that someone could submit an email with a typo or something and in this case I would of course have to change that, but I would do when i send invoices potentially.

In the case that this blows up during GB, would you restrict people to one board so that as many individuals as possible could get their hands on one?

I would not restrict people, as it is a public GB, people will have their own intentions and wants.  Multiple people from the original run have multiple units with different builds in them.  I wouldn't want to issue a blanket statement or rule saying people can only have one just because I would be scared of people hoarding, because people have the freedom to do what they wish with the boards.  That is the nature of public GBs I suppose.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 12:38:03 »

I do not want to accept edits, what you submit is what will get sent to the factory for the final quote before manufacturing.  Having to keep track of edits across a potential maximum of 200 orders would be a nightmare.  Which is why I want to share the form at least a few hours early so people can see it and get familiar.  Of course there will be the case that someone could submit an email with a typo or something and in this case I would of course have to change that, but I would do when i send invoices potentially.

That's an entirely reasonable and fair approach to take. Thank you for the clarification and I look forward to the group buy threat opening!

Offline Ld1993

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 12:44:13 »

GL all.

It will be a Google Form.  You will have to fill out an answer for every possible option.  So you'll have the ability to purchase up to the maximum of everything. 

So for example, there will be 2 entire case fields you'll have to fill out or pass on.  4 plate fields, 4 pcb fields, etc.

It makes the form a bit long, but because I am offering so many options and I need to limit amounts, this is the nicest way I have for now and it is still fairly straightforward.

I will try to share a demo form before the real form is up, so people can make sure they understand the process.  Looking to try to get the GB thread up by Sundayish.
Will the offical gb form link be different from the demo form link we fill out beforehand, or will both of the forms share the same link when the official gb opens?

Offline weaston

« Reply #288 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 12:52:16 »
Will the offical gb form link be different from the demo form link we fill out beforehand, or will both of the forms share the same link when the official gb opens?

They will be very very similar, but be different links. I may rename some things or move them around slightly, but it will more or less be the same.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #289 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 12:53:11 »
I think you should submit the group buy post in the next couple of days so it gets approved in time. GLWB!

Offline zekth

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 13:59:34 »
Share a demo of the form? For bot users? well ... It will be hard to have a spot...

Offline willyG

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 14:17:31 »
Share a demo of the form? For bot users? well ... It will be hard to have a spot...

So long as he generates a new form, and changes some text,  the page elements won't be the same whatsoever....

Also... consider that there are item buy limits. Unless a botter has 10 different street addresses, I don't see how it'd matter much.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2020, 14:24:10 by willyG »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 14:55:52 »

So long as he generates a new form, and changes some text,  the page elements won't be the same whatsoever....

Also... consider that there are item buy limits. Unless a botter has 10 different street addresses, I don't see how it'd matter much.

Definitely would need to change field names. Most bots ignore order and simply search on field. All this said, I really wish Google forms could use a recaptcha.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 15:16:41 »
All this said, I really wish Google forms could use a recaptcha.

They do. Google maintains reCaptcha, in the Jane V2 CE buy people got caught in it.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 16:11:44 »

They do. Google maintains reCaptcha, in the Jane V2 CE buy people got caught in it.
Lol. Hard to select those bridges I guess.

Offline Norato

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 16:39:23 »
Really hope I’ll be able to grab one! Do you have a discord server by any chance, I find it easier to stay updated there.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #296 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 20:01:54 »

Google captcha's randomly so getting caught in the captcha is not necessarily a sign of botting.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 06:46:08 »
So I've been looking around for keycaps for this beauty (assuming i get one, which i probably won't with my horrible luck), and was just curious if anyone else had any grandiose plans for this board? Part of me wants to go with a very traditional and soft color set. Another part of me wants to go with cerakote and one of the flashier GMKs.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 08:14:05 »

Google captcha's randomly so getting caught in the captcha is not necessarily a sign of botting.

If you use privacy features in your browser like blocking Javascript and cookies, you will almost always have to fill out 2-3 captcha rounds.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline bill_ng117

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 09:01:15 »
So I've been looking around for keycaps for this beauty (assuming i get one, which i probably won't with my horrible luck), and was just curious if anyone else had any grandiose plans for this board? Part of me wants to go with a very traditional and soft color set. Another part of me wants to go with cerakote and one of the flashier GMKs.

If I do get a chance to get this board I'd definitely put dark mode olivia++ on ^^