Author Topic: [IC] GMK Electric (GB LIVE TO 10/6!)  (Read 204823 times)

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Re: [IC] GMK Electric (update 4/28/20)
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:27:00 »
Good use of space on the ISO keys.
Dumb question. GMK Ursa had an ISO kit that...handily made MOQ 100! on the back of Paddington on the ISO enter, as Paddington was both unique to that child kit and also was a good icon for the ISO enter crowd. Is there any electrical symbol/theme that’s limited to or more prevalent in the EU?

Good point, if somebody has some idea that would make it more unique to Europe in some way that would be great!

As you may be aware, there are some differences between the North American (NEMA) and European (IEC) symbol conventions for passive components.

Show Image

However, in practice the difference isn't that great, the two conventions are often mixed in schematics (especially for resistors), and many European engineers prefer to use the NA symbols (and vice-versa in some cases). A more detailed comparison chart is available here.

However, I don't think any of these symbols are as cool as Ursa's Paddington Bear novelty, so how about using a more memorable symbol, like, say, a three-phase transformer? As a Nikola Tesla fan, this would be very cool to see.

Show Image

Or how about a full bridge rectifier? I'm sure there are some ElectroBOOM fans out here.

Show Image

Another personal favorite of mine is the Wheatstone bridge.

Show Image

Actually a full bridge would be a really cool novelty, or maybe a simple oscillator or RC filter of some sort.

Those are good points on the symbols. I did notice that there are logic components on the novelties so maybe a logic gate for the big enter? Maybe one with a MOSFET which I believe isn't on the novelties.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:54:11 »
Konstantin that’s amazing

I bought the Is0 1 key board for ISO keycaps to use my Rolling Bones Iso enter, but the full bridge rectifier or another space filling design might take precedence.

Euro folks should pick tho.

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the full bridge rectifier myself. ElectroBOOM has made a lasting impact on how I look at electronics, lol.

Offline ebastler

Re: [IC] GMK Electric (update 4/22/20)
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 04:52:58 »
Also, may I ask what you use the 1.5u shift for?

Blocked 75% layouts with u/4 delimiters all over the place, like the evolv 75% or my own design where I used almost the identical layout need a 1.5u rshift.
I think this creates an exceptionally homogenous look I haven't seen on most 75% boards so far. Sadly, there's almost no sets that include a 1.5u shift (that's probably the reason few designs chose this exact layout).

You can of course use a CTRL/ALT, but having a shift key would be nicer  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 04:55:38 by ebastler »

Offline Motte

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 13:36:45 »
Hey I like your design a LOT! I filled out the form and suggested to have a ground symbol on the lift CTRL. That would be a nice reference to a crouch binding in FPS games. Anyone in on that? :D

Offline arremkay

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 00:44:08 »
I really like the look of this set. Have you considered icon mods? They would match the novelties imo.

Offline gilgalad101

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 10:04:44 »
I'd like to see some R2 and R3 1U novelties for a 65%.  Looks good so far!

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 17:29:03 »
I just took a look at the kits as they stand now.

The NORDE kit has the R1 `¬¦ key present twice (so one can be cut off) and the R4 <> key can also be chopped, as it's now part of the base kit.

R3 #~ (required for English (UK)) is missing.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 18:01:07 »
I wasn’t in love with this set and I believe this set is why I made an account to comment. When the designer was inactive I thought heavily about making my own set that was themed around electrical engineering (my profession) but just never had time and always hoped this would come back.  I also watched GMK high voltage come and go and basically knew it was doomed from the start first from color and second from the price set by either designer or mono or some combination of both being dumb enough to think it’d work.

With that said. I am begging if you can in one of the kits provide 2 R1 1.5U caps. I used boardwalk and although legends will suck at least with 1.5u caps for R1 I can have keys to cover my boardwalk. Else this is just my dream keycap set that serves no purpose for me to waste money on. I’m only one person. I doubt it’ll happen but would be appreciated and I’d pay extra.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #258 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 18:05:00 »
Nevermknd I didn’t realize it’s N9. I have terminal N9 ergo kit. Problem solved. So I might just order novelties as the basekit is allt of modifiers I don’t need for alphas I can source elsewhere. Mostly want novelties.

Offline Vala

• :smork:
    • Vala Supply
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:30:44 »
Konstantin that’s amazing

I bought the Is0 1 key board for ISO keycaps to use my Rolling Bones Iso enter, but the full bridge rectifier or another space filling design might take precedence.

Euro folks should pick tho.

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the full bridge rectifier myself. ElectroBOOM has made a lasting impact on how I look at electronics, lol.

So I tried to make a full bridge rectifier novelty using the entire space of the ISO enter, is this considered blasphemy or does it work?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 01:52:26 »

I mean it almost looks like an iso enter

AC Power? Load?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 01:54:58 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 01:53:59 »

I mean it almost looks like an iso enter

Offline G562

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 02:18:48 »
+1

I need this now... ;D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:55:43 »
Show Image

So I tried to make a full bridge rectifier novelty using the entire space of the ISO enter, is this considered blasphemy or does it work?

Nice! It does technically (and electrically) work, but it's not as instantly recognizable as the square net variant :D Maybe just try putting one like this in the center of the cap?

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 01:20:14 »
Show Image

Nice! It does technically (and electrically) work, but it's not as instantly recognizable as the square net variant :D Maybe just try putting one like this in the center of the cap?

Show Image

That's what I tried originally, but it forced me to make the lines super thin, making it look out of place with the other novelties. I'll try to come up with something and post it back here once I'm happy with it.

Offline rafamundez

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 02:51:58 »
as an electrical engineer... I'm in love <3

in for one whenever its up and running!

Offline Mr. UnderPants

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 12:56:05 »
Is this keycap set a possibility for a GB, I want to freaking hop on this. My academic career using Multisim for circuit design would make me love having this! Beautiful set!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 13:25:30 »
That's what I tried originally, but it forced me to make the lines super thin, making it look out of place with the other novelties. I'll try to come up with something and post it back here once I'm happy with it.

Proportions of electronic symbols are pretty flexible, so I think you could get away with making the leads thicker.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 20:03:27 »

Awesome to hear, thanks for the support :)

Is this keycap set a possibility for a GB, I want to freaking hop on this. My academic career using Multisim for circuit design would make me love having this! Beautiful set!

Yes, the set should be going to GB soon (TM). Might be a few more months with the corona delays on stuff.

And finally, a new ISO novelty enter, this time of a three phase transformer (thanks konstantin for the suggestion). It is a rough sketch, definitely not finished, but let me know what you think of the idea. It's so hard to make an appealing ISO novelty enter that uses the entire cap!

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 20:13:02 »
thats AWESOME

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
Re: [IC] GMK Electric (update 5/10/20)
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 20:24:07 »
Just updated the OP with some other updates as well, including new desk mat colors! I think the inverted and gray on black look great, personally not a fan of black on gray however. I'll see what people think and decide later (I'm currently thinking of only having 3, maybe 4 color options).

Also some small kit updates:
- Removed duplicate R1 `¬¦ key from Norde
- Removed R4 > < key from Norde (now in base kit)
- Added R3 "~ #" key to the base kit to support ISO UK users properly
- Added 2 1u R2, 2 1u R3 novelties to novelties kit for 65% users
- Added 1.25u and 1.5u "ground" novelties to novelties kit
- Removed some other novelties from novelties kit to lower cost (might have to do this again...)

Offline Mr. UnderPants

« Reply #271 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 21:07:29 »

Yes, the set should be going to GB soon (TM). Might be a few more months with the corona delays on stuff.

And finally, a new ISO novelty enter, this time of a three phase transformer (thanks konstantin for the suggestion). It is a rough sketch, definitely not finished, but let me know what you think of the idea. It's so hard to make an appealing ISO novelty enter that uses the entire cap!
Show Image

Heck yes, I am behind this set and it’s colors. Great job on the design!

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 00:45:08 »
ISO is trash anyways who cares if they get subpar novelties >.>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G562

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 01:09:04 »

Show Image

I feel that compared to the rest of the keys this seems much more detailed. Kinda out of place to the rest.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 05:53:07 »
Show Image

I dig it!

Edit: I have a few notes on the current spacebars kit: I think four 6u spacebars is way too many (and I say that as someone who has 6u spacebar on several boards). Most sets usually include one, or at most two 6u spacebars. If you want to keep one, then it should be the gray, centered stem one. If you want to keep two, then it should either be gray, centered stem + gray, off-centered stem (recommended), or gray, centered stem + blue, centered stem.
The blue 1.75u space key can probably be removed, since that key is only used on a few 40% boards: Vortex Core, JD40/JD45 (requires two of them), so it's quite rare.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 15:53:40 by konstantin »

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #275 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 07:34:44 »
Hey also is a RAMA key up for consideration? Maybe an enter key with something like V=IR on it?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:12:43 »
These kits look really chonky. It's gonna get pricey.

Will there be simpler/less busy deskmats?

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 02:16:22 »
I think this set is pretty awesome. However,, there is something that keeps coming into my mind. It feels like it lacks “electricity” on the alphas.

Would have loved to feel the electricity all across the board.

Have you thought about trying the electric blue through the letters to see how it would come out?

Just another point of view =)

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #278 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 14:49:48 »
Hey also is a RAMA key up for consideration? Maybe an enter key with something like V=IR on it?

Yes, I had a few ideas for RAMA. Namely, a metal enter key with the resistor symbol enameled, and a metal R1 1U novelty with the electric symbol (lightning bolt). I have yet to contact them at this point however.

I've noticed this problem as well, I'm going to cull some keys and perhaps split up some kits to keep price down.

And I'm not sure if there were be any other deskmat options, the reception to this design has been very positive so far based on the Google poll. If anybody has some suggestions for a simpler design I'm all ears :)

I think this set is pretty awesome. However,, there is something that keeps coming into my mind. It feels like it lacks “electricity” on the alphas.

Have you thought about trying the electric blue through the letters to see how it would come out?

I think I saw this suggestion in the poll and tried it out, it didn't come out very well IMO. Completely changed the feeling of the set.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 15:03:28 »

Yes, I had a few ideas for RAMA. Namely, a metal enter key with the resistor symbol enameled, and a metal R1 1U novelty with the electric symbol (lightning bolt). I have yet to contact them at this point however.

I've noticed this problem as well, I'm going to cull some keys and perhaps split up some kits to keep price down.

And I'm not sure if there were be any other deskmat options, the reception to this design has been very positive so far based on the Google poll. If anybody has some suggestions for a simpler design I'm all ears :)

I think I saw this suggestion in the poll and tried it out, it didn't come out very well IMO. Completely changed the feeling of the set.

Most excellent news!

When would I be able to hand over my money?

Offline rafamundez

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 21:35:03 »

Could we see the render by chance :)

Might be a cool alternate alpha set? Like an "Electric Alphas" option?
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 18:34:26 by rafamundez »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:37:31 »
Holy ****

How did I get through EE school without this

gib
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 17:22:37 »
Renders should be done shortly, still touching up some things! Pretty hype this set. Setting a GB Slot for this will be interesting with a busy year.
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline gnomesayin

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 00:44:52 »
Really like this, will definitely be in!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 06:29:54 »
Having a Colevrak kit for GMK is pretty unique nowadays and a drawing point for me, but honestly, I don't think I'd be willing to fork over the amount required for base + extension + Colevrak + novelties.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 09:34:22 »
I wasn’t in love with this set and I believe this set is why I made an account to comment. When the designer was inactive I thought heavily about making my own set that was themed around electrical engineering (my profession) but just never had time and always hoped this would come back.  I also watched GMK high voltage come and go and basically knew it was doomed from the start first from color and second from the price set by either designer or kono.store or some combination of both being dumb enough to think it’d work.

With that said. I am begging if you can in one of the kits provide 2 R1 1.5U caps. I used boardwalk and although legends will suck at least with 1.5u caps for R1 I can have keys to cover my boardwalk. Else this is just my dream keycap set that serves no purpose for me to waste money on. I’m only one person. I doubt it’ll happen but would be appreciated and I’d pay extra.

This was supposed to say I was in love with this set. Not wasn’t. so I assume the no response means there will never be any R1 1.5us.... I would think novelties would be a good place for them or I dunno. Wish I could make this work on my boardwalk but sucks it’s coming back and I have to pass. So sick of GMK

Offline PQuix

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 09:52:52 »
God damn, the set has been revived! I was just stopping by to see if it had been officially declared dead before I deleted the bookmark :eek:

I. Am. IN!

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
Re: [IC] GMK Electric (new deskmat design 6/20)
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 20:31:17 »
I made a new deskmat design that I am super happy with!

I didn't have to remove any of the circuitry, but adding the different shades of color really made the mat feel less busy/cluttered. I hope everyone likes it :) (and feedback is appreciated!)

Offline dallman5

« Reply #288 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 20:32:32 »
I made a new deskmat design that I am super happy with!

Show Image

I didn't have to remove any of the circuitry, but adding the different shades of color really made the mat feel less busy/cluttered. I hope everyone likes it :) (and feedback is appreciated!)
Looks great! Looking forward to the GB :)
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 22:04:14 »
Looks much better with the changed shading; nice!

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #290 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 04:41:49 »
God damn, the set has been revived! I was just stopping by to see if it had been officially declared dead before I deleted the bookmark :eek:

I. Am. IN!

Awesome, I'm trying my best to make sure it is worth the multi-year wait  :D

This was supposed to say I was in love with this set. Not wasn’t. so I assume the no response means there will never be any R1 1.5us.... I would think novelties would be a good place for them or I dunno. Wish I could make this work on my boardwalk but sucks it’s coming back and I have to pass. So sick of GMK

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your suggestion, I'm not sure if it is worth including R1 1.5u caps within any kit. It is quite niche, and adding two caps of that size is nothing to sneeze at, especially with potentially hundreds of kits being produced.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it

Offline Sabin

« Reply #291 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 05:44:04 »
Deskmat looks great, is there an ETA on GB?

Offline nsyinc

« Reply #292 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 15:50:04 »

wondering the same. though still no vendor named outside eu probably means its’s not imminent.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #293 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 18:50:14 »

wondering the same. though still no vendor named outside eu probably means its’s not imminent.

Currently no date... getting the vendors sorted is proving to be more difficult than anticipated. I will make sure the GB happens before 2021, but that's really the only guarantee I can give at the moment.

But don't worry, it only means there is more time to get everything right, and find awesome extras/collabs! I'm going to be approaching many artisan vendors to see if they want to make an electric themed version of their caps, so hopefully by the time the GB launches we'll have an impressive number of options.

If you've been waiting years for this set like I know many of you have, just hold out a little longer, it will be worth the wait ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2020, 18:54:36 by Vala »

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 05:18:10 »

I. Am. IN!

Awesome, I'm trying my best to make sure it is worth the multi-year wait  :D

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your suggestion, I'm not sure if it is worth including R1 1.5u caps within any kit. It is quite niche, and adding two caps of that size is nothing to sneeze at, especially with potentially hundreds of kits being produced.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it

I had totally forgotten when I wrote that, that the mods are n9. I think from my memory there has been talk about changing some colors.... is n9 forsure staying? Just curious cause if so then I’m not selling my n9 ergo kits and saving them for this and will purchase a few sets

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 07:14:19 »
I had totally forgotten when I wrote that, that the mods are n9. I think from my memory there has been talk about changing some colors.... is n9 forsure staying? Just curious cause if so then I’m not selling my n9 ergo kits and saving them for this and will purchase a few sets

Yes, N9 is final. However, UN6037 will be changed to a pantone color matching the renders more closely (this will be reflected in the new renders).

Offline cloudtastrophe

Re: [IC] GMK Electric
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 04:29:08 »
The set is great; but the only key that could make this set impossible to pass for me is an R3 `~ key to cover a modern ANSI XT layout with an ISO Enter. I know it is a very special key, but being just one it could be fitted with very low impact on the cost for the set. I know there are some users that may take advantage of such layout.

PLEASE MAKE THIS A REALITY. or at least the escape novelty! there are literally zero miku "01" artisans out there..

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 10:59:28 »
Interested if this becomes a thing

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #298 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 03:05:27 »
With the resurgence of so many dolch themed sets, I am kind of tempted to take GMK Electric in a totally new direction. What do people who are interested in the set think? I would retain the same novelties but go for a different color scheme.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #299 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 03:17:04 »
Your set so you do you. I would probably be out if that was the case.