Author Topic: OEM profile. (Does it truly suck or just hype?)  (Read 3859 times)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
OEM profile. (Does it truly suck or just hype?)
« on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:01:58 »
I realized I do not like thick PBT on cherry blues. So I took them off of my QFR and put back on the stock caps (yes the stock caps)

I really like the feel aside form the legends. I like how the keys have a "flatter" feel in regards to the whole board not just an individual key. I'm starting to wonder if I prefer OEM. Would like to get some higher quality OEM caps to really compare. I do know one thing thick PBT on blues is not my thing.

Although I do love the Cherry DS's I have on my other QFR. I'll have to do a comparison with these. (profile wise)

Thoughts?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: OEM profile. (Does it truly suck or just hype?)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:02:44 »
There's thick OEM profile PBT (vortex), try it.
I love Elzy

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:12:49 »
There's thick OEM profile PBT (vortex), try it.
I hate their legends though. I think IMSTO did some thick OEM's? Or maybe I'm confused and those were before he started doing the thick ones.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:15:09 »
you hate both versions of their legends?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:17:54 »
I do, the old ones were really bad, these newer ones are better, I almost pulled the trigger on them but realized I would regret it when they showed up. They have a cheap look to me. I think I prefer TAI HAO. Actually thats probably what I should look into a TAI HAO set.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:41:32 »
I don't mind OEM.  Tai Hao is a good example - the legends are consistent, they are reasonably well made (if not the thickest) keycaps, and just simply look consistent across the board, even if colours are mixed.

I think a mix of different profiles bothers me more than all OEM.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:47:34 »
I don't mind OEM.  Tai Hao is a good example - the legends are consistent, they are reasonably well made (if not the thickest) keycaps, and just simply look consistent across the board, even if colours are mixed.

Yeah I don't like that either.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:53:35 »
I realized I do not like thick PBT on cherry blues. So I took them off of my QFR and put back on the stock caps (yes the stock caps)

I really like the feel aside form the legends. I like how the keys have a "flatter" feel in regards to the whole board not just an individual key. I'm starting to wonder if I prefer OEM. Would like to get some higher quality OEM caps to really compare. I do know one thing thick PBT on blues is not my thing.

Although I do love the Cherry DS's I have on my other QFR. I'll have to do a comparison with these. (profile wise)

Thoughts?

I can't agree more.
Thick Cherry PBT sucks on Cherry MX Blue. However, thin Cherry PBT doesn't. Thin Cherry PBT works perfectly on it. The sound is more audible comparing to the thick one.

I think it doesn't matter OEM or Cherry profile here. Since the weight and the thickness of keycap are the two important factors impact on the feeling. So I agree that thick (or very thick) keycaps do not work very well on Cherry MX Blue.

Agreed. Mixing between the two, perhaps, is the last thing I want to try.
I like linear switches

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:55:52 »
I personally can't stand un-scuplted profiles, but I don't really have a preference of the height of the keys. I think it's just nice to have a variety, just like switches.

As with most things, we should look back to the Model M for an idea of what is timeless and superior.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:59:35 »

I do, the old ones were really bad, these newer ones are better, I almost pulled the trigger on them but realized I would regret it when they showed up. They have a cheap look to me. I think I prefer TAI HAO. Actually thats probably what I should look into a TAI HAO set.

I don't think I've ever seen a vortex set that I actually like the look of the legends. However, their black on black dye sub caps are what introduced me to GH. Searching for more black on black pbt pretty quickly landed me on Ivans Pitch Black GB.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:16:33 »
Is OEM a single profile?

I thought companies like Filco, Corsair, Vortex etc all used their own profiles.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:24:24 »
Is OEM a single profile?

I thought companies like Filco, Corsair, Vortex etc all used their own profiles.

for some reason the keycaps are all the same profile :confused:

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:29:27 »
Is OEM a single profile?

I know my white PBT caps I got from feng are slightly lower in height than my Tai Hao caps, and the ones from my Leopold numpad are lower still.
EDIT: My Poker II stock keys are a totally different height as well; a middle ground between the Tai Hao and the Leopold caps. Weird.
I dunno, I'm only here for the sexy keyboard pics, I'll leave the labels to you guys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:50:43 by StylinGreymon »
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:33:02 »
Is OEM a single profile?

I know my white PBT caps I got from feng are slightly lower in height than my Tai Hao caps, and the ones from my Leopold numpad are lower still.

I dunno, I'm only here for the sexy keyboard pics, I'll leave the labels to you guys.

Hmm thats strange. The combination of keycool and vortex caps I'm using right now are the same

Offline tbc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:52:39 »
Is OEM a single profile?

EDIT: My Poker II stock keys are a totally different height as well; a middle ground between the Tai Hao and the Leopold caps. Weird.

post a pic?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 00:08:14 »
OEM = original equipment manufacturer, and refers to the original manufacturer of the equipment.

It stands to reason that each manufacturer's "OEM profile" keycaps might differ in height, but all keycaps for a single manufacturer should be consistent.

Contrast that with Cherry profile - where one company, Cherry, has dictated the profile for the keycaps, and any keycap that wants to be described as "Cherry profile" must match that profile.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 00:22:26 »
A few years ago I had some thin white PBT's from qtan. I liked the look but the printing wore off way fast, not sure if they were lasered or pad printed. They felt good to type on though.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 00:33:40 »
Nothing wrong with 'OEM profile' keycaps really, but I do prefer my GMK/Cherry doubleshots/dyesubs over the OEM profile keycaps that I've tried.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:01:17 »
You're in luck, it seems.   ;D

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58110.0

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:07:48 »

I know I need to get in on that this time.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:08:51 »

And KeyPop still have some yellow and green sets from round 1: http://www.keypop.net/category/keyboard-sets

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:13:49 »

And KeyPop still have some yellow and green sets from round 1: http://www.keypop.net/category/keyboard-sets
Thanks rowdy. I'm a boring guy when it comes to keycaps. Black or old school is about all I'm into.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:37:32 »
As someone who has been changing key caps quite frequently lately, I have been trying to find the perfect set for my Filco. I started out with some Tai Hao sets (OEM), then tried some Cherry doubleshoots, and now have a set of SP Dolch which are DSA. I think the Tai Hao's were the most comfortable, but that is probably because I used them the longest. I think you get adjusted to whatever you use consistently. Maybe I need to stop swapping key caps :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:59:52 »
I quite like the Keycool OEM caps, medium thickness PBT and POM (particularly the POM), but prefer SP DCS and Cherry profiles. The lower profiles somehow seem to suit me better, almost as if they reduce key travel, even though I know it doesn't really.

I don't like any of the stock caps that came with my boards. Thin OEM profile ABS just doesn't do it for me.

Medium to thick PBT or POM OEM profile is acceptable. Thin DCS ABS I can live with, too. Thick Cherry profile POM or PBT.... mmmm, good.

That TAI HAO Dolch set is tempting (I love the Dolch colour combination), but I'm going to hold out for Ivan's Cherry profile doubleshot (GMK) Dolch GB :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.