Author Topic: Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory  (Read 44676 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:57:46 »
I ****ing love geekhack.
I know right  :)

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:58:45 »
Need some DOOM in here  :thumb:

I think this should be left to someone else without bias. You left out quite a few people who have made their own crafted caps.

Let's add them! My only limitations are the rules at the top of the Directory and my own limited knowledge of what's out there. By all means, let us know what we're missing.

Sorry if its bitter >_>

Ah I haven't had time to find pics of sculpted DOOM caps. Doesn't he only make blanks? Link some pics of his sculpts and let's add them.

This is what I found so far:
http://i.imgur.com/EbKQxpI.jpg - Doombringer DSA
http://i.imgur.com/ASFEHST.jpg - MF Doom MX
http://i.imgur.com/QRfC1NF.jpg - MSDOS DSA
http://i.imgur.com/fxu5dZJ.jpg - HiProfile
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1570/24055905013_8bc0a44013_k.jpg - Filigree Spacebars

Thanks!

I think this should be left to someone else without bias. You left out quite a few people who have made their own crafted caps.

Let's add them! My only limitations are the rules at the top of the Directory and my own limited knowledge of what's out there. By all means, let us know what we're missing.

Sorry if its bitter >_>

Ah I haven't had time to find pics of sculpted DOOM caps. Doesn't he only make blanks? Link some pics of his sculpts and let's add them.

But just because you can't find pictures doesn't mean you should leave them out if you know that they exist.

Doom though has the MFDoom, Doombringer, MS-DOS, Filigree, and HiProfile keycaps.

Sorry if its bitter >_>

You guys are awesome, thanks!

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:59:03 »

Sorry if its bitter >_>

But just because you can't find pictures doesn't mean you should leave them out if you know that they exist.

Doom though has the MFDoom, Doombringer, MS-DOS, Filigree, and HiProfile keycaps.

Makers of blanks are not included for various reasons. (Correction- blank keycaps are excluded.) No one who fits the rules is intentionally excluded. The very first, top, BOLD sentence on the first page is a plea for your help by leaving a comment on the directory if there's anything missing or wrong. Too many are coming to this thread to point things out rather than help where it's most likely to be noticed and updated.

Regardless, thanks for the tip on the cap names! No amount of scouring of makers' threads by myself will be able to make this directory complete.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 20:03:56 »

Sorry if its bitter >_>

Makers of blanks are not included for various reasons. (Correction- blank keycaps are excluded.) No one who fits the rules is intentionally excluded. The very first, top, BOLD sentence on the first page is a plea for your help by leaving a comment on the directory if there's anything missing or wrong. Too many are coming to this thread to point things out rather than help where it's most likely to be noticed and updated.

Regardless, thanks for the tip on the cap names! No amount of scouring of makers' threads by myself will be able to make this directory complete.
Heh, don't pidgeonhole me as just a blank maker now :P

And you shouldn't have to scour too much, I believe the first post on my thread has all of my history in it.

Thanks for the consideration!

Offline Perish

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:01:44 »
Any source on Kult Worship Kaps/Killed By Kaps (KWK/KBK)?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:02:33 »

What do you mean by "source"?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:03:47 »

If you mean you want to buy some, I'm afraid the artist doesn't make them anymore.  You'd need to trade with someone or buy second hand. 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:05:57 »

If you mean you want to buy some, I'm afraid the artist doesn't make them anymore.  You'd need to trade with someone or buy second hand.

Did he confirm he's not making any more?

Offline Perish

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:06:48 »

Yes, thank you for the info.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:11:22 »

Maybe someone else can tell us if he stated he would NEVER make them again. But from what I can tell, he hasn't had a sale in over a year, so I feel pretty comfortable in telling people he's not an active seller.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:12:14 »

Maybe someone else can tell us if he stated he would NEVER make them again. But from what I can tell, he hasn't had a sale in over a year, so I feel pretty comfortable in telling people he's not an active seller.

So maybe more like MiTo for sure, then. Hmm... I can live with that.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:14:20 »

So maybe more like MiTo for sure, then. Hmm... I can live with that.

I don't think he ever said he would never make them again, but I could be mistaken.

All this recent KBK/KWK talk has me sad :(

We miss you hipster  :-* :'(

Hipster, notice me senpai  :'(

Noticed!

I'm around,

I am haitus,

I am playing video games, getting fat, vaping my face off

deep thoughts, ... Boobs

I love GH, give me time

You gotta get low to enjoy the high

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:18:59 »

He's never said he was done casting, just that he's been doing other stuff for now. He still posts and is one of the most skilled and influential capmakers to ever cast (no hyperbole). I don't think he's quitting for good.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:29:54 »
I think handmade can be removed from the title.  By definition, artisan is handmade.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:31:13 »
I think handmade can be removed from the title.  By definition, artisan is handmade.

I believe that wording is to exclude 3D printed (but not necessarily designed) caps.  An artist can make a 3D file and print it and still be considered an artisan.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:35:10 »
Nope, 3D printed caps are novelty caps, they are not artisan caps.  Artisan, by definition, is handmade.  Modeling and printing, while requiring skill, is not artisan. 

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 15:33:05 »
Nope, 3D printed caps are novelty caps, they are not artisan caps.  Artisan, by definition, is handmade.  Modeling and printing, while requiring skill, is not artisan.
Have you been up to any keycap making recently?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 15:34:24 »

Yes, tell us.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 15:39:06 »

I've got the Harder Knock Wax mold made and plan on cranking a few out soon.  I've been doing more of other projects of late.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:13:03 »

So my Fetts I make through 3D printing masters and molding them are not artisans?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:29:22 »

So my Fetts I make through 3D printing masters and molding them are not artisans?

It's a hazy definition. Your Fett caps can be added to the Directory based on that process. Otherwise a lot of caps would be excluded (eg, at least the GirlDC caps, BBV2, Bro Gamer Sets, HKP, and HiddenPower). All of those were made with a master that was either originally 3D printed or machined from a CAD design.

Even though the line is hazy, it needs to be drawn somewhere for the Directory to be actually usable. Including just any 3D printed cap (eg, Tasker) would make those makers' sections extremely long.

Maybe we should break up the Directory into multiple sections based on different production processes, but that would get confusing for makers that use multiple production processes.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:37:31 »

It's a hazy definition. Your Fett caps can be added to the Directory based on that process. Otherwise a lot of caps would be excluded (eg, at least the GirlDC caps, BBV2, Bro Gamer Sets, HKP, and HiddenPower). All of those were made with a master that was either originally 3D printed or machined from a CAD design.

Even though the line is hazy, it needs to be drawn somewhere for the Directory to be actually usable. Including just any 3D printed cap (eg, Tasker) would make those makers' sections extremely long.

Maybe we should break up the Directory into multiple sections based on different production processes, but that would get confusing for makers that use multiple production processes.

Cool. Thanks. I was more poking at what is the objective of this list? To create a directory of all the caps being made?  Why list K3 vs others creating unique designs. Just some things to think about. No reason to not include others. It's just a list.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:40:56 »

Cool. Thanks. I was more poking at what is the objective of this list? To create a directory of all the caps being made?  Why list K3 vs others creating unique designs. Just some things to think about. No reason to not include others. It's just a list.

What creative designs are being left out aside from pure 3D prints?

The objective is to provide a visual guide to identify and catalog the makers and names of various handmade artisan keycaps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:46:49 »
Any reason the sculpt designs are not listed chronologically? 

I suppose as a resource, alphabetical is better... It would be fun if some reference to the timeline of their creation could be included though, so we can see each artisan's progression over the years.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:49:19 »

I suppose as a resource, alphabetical is better... It would be fun if some reference to the timeline of their creation could be included though, so we can see each artisan's progression over the years.

No, but I don't know their chronology. If someone would provide me with timeline lists for each maker, I'd take the time to update it chronologically. I think it would be cool for it to show what you're saying.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:58:32 »

No, but I don't know their chronology. If someone would provide me with timeline lists for each maker, I'd take the time to update it chronologically. I think it would be cool for it to show what you're saying.

I only know the chronology for Binge's work, found here.  If I have some free time I will try to piece together some others, but that's not terribly likely to happen for every maker.  D:

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 18:06:24 »

I only know the chronology for Binge's work, found here.  If I have some free time I will try to piece together some others, but that's not terribly likely to happen for every maker.  D:

Great, updated for HWS and KK.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:22:24 »

That's how Bro did his Brobot and how I do my stems and blanks.  If all you're doing is making a 3D model and printing it, you are not making an artisan cap.  Like others have said, it's hazy when you have a printed master, especially if that master is not smoothed out and tweaked after it's printed, but is instead just molded and cast. 

I go out of my way to print the master then refine and tweak it by hand before hand casting each cap by hand.  So even though the master is printed, the master is tweaked by hand and then the final product is created by hand, with the end product taking 1-1.5 hours to make.  Printing the base of a master is no different in my mind than using an SP/GMK/Topre or any other cap as a base.

As a result of the process, artisans are always going to have natural variation.  A 3D printed cap will be virtually identical each and every time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:24:49 by nubbinator »

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 05:33:04 »
While were talking about non-hand sculpts here; isn't all new hkp caps entirely factory made? I know he used to do hand-casting(gasmask v1), but the new ones are far too perfect and in far too high quantities to be hand-made. Do you think that they should still be allowed on the list of "Handmade Artisans"?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 07:44:26 »
While were talking about non-hand sculpts here; isn't all new hkp caps entirely factory made? I know he used to do hand-casting(gasmask v1), but the new ones are far too perfect and in far too high quantities to be hand-made. Do you think that they should still be allowed on the list of "Handmade Artisans"?

I think the master might still be hand-made, right?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 08:39:24 »

If we can get some evidence or confirmation, I may change the HKP section. But I've only seen speculation so far. Also if at least one of his models was handmade, perhaps we can just leave the others for reference rather than only showing the gas mask v1 or removing him entirely.

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:17:01 »
This looks great Bambino! Thanks for creating this for everyone :D
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:42:01 »
Could I get my crate added?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:42:57 »

Show Image

Yep. Add another box (heh) under your entry!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:43:42 »
Show Image

Oh, crate.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:48:10 »
Show Image

Woah, I like the wood grain! looks good tates

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:51:11 »
Show Image

Thanks. Here's another photo :)

Would it be good to have links to the makers respective threads? and/or where to get them or even availability status. This may work well with putting them in chronological order.  As it stands it is more of a gallery.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:52:55 »
Show Image

Show Image

Would it be good to have links to the makers respective threads? and/or where to get them or even availability status. This may work well with putting them in chronological order.  As it stands it is more of a gallery.

Those would make good Crash crates...

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:53:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Those with a dedicated website or subgroup are listed. It would be great if someone would add links to the sale threads too.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:54:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Those with a dedicated website or subgroup are listed. It would be great if someone would add links to the sale threads too.
I see now, sorry. Just need to go through and add all the missing sale threads.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:55:23 »

Romevi needs one crash cap, and 12 crate caps
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:00:29 by Moistgun »

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:59:47 »
Show Image

Show Image

Romevi needs one crash cap, and 12 crate caps
I feel stupid. What is a crash crate?  :-[

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:01:54 »
A crate from the video game franchise Crash Bandicoot

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:09:27 »
That does make sense :) I do kind of like that idea

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:16:21 »

:eek:

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:19:48 »

:o
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...  Is that your avatar? "Crash Man" Things are starting to make sense around here.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:25:41 »

:o
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...  Is that your avatar? "Crash Man" Things are starting to make sense around here.

:cool:

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 14:30:48 »
Whoever added the sidebar Outline to the directory... <3

I fixed it up and it works/looks great now.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 23:45:23 »
oooo, very nice  :)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:41:18 »
Would anyone have a problem with adding retail prices? I think a lot of people want to know retail prices before they sell and crowdsourcing it here might be the easiest way of doing it.