Author Topic: Staircase Profile Keycap/Set  (Read 4442 times)

Offline fi0x

Staircase Profile Keycap/Set
« on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 15:37:33 »
I'm looking for a keycap set with staircase profile instead of the usual contoured profile most keycaps come in.
Does anyone know of a good set or brand?
If there aren't any, I'm fine with contoured keys with less curvature.
For instance, I really like the keycaps from Varmilo. However their Massdrop have ended, and I'm also looking for more/other options if there is any out there.
~I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶(̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶)̶ I am a keyboard geek~

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Staircase Profile Keycap/Set
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 02:16:19 »
Can't say I've seen exactly wha you want but G20 caps on PMK are slightly staircase black pic near the bottom?  Or if you don't mind blanks you could pick a row from SA or DCS and buy them in packs of 10, not a cheap way to fill a board though...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Malenky

Offline fi0x

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 21:20:50 »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Can't say I've seen exactly wha you want but G20 caps on PMK are slightly staircase black pic near the bottom?  Or if you don't mind blanks you could pick a row from SA or DCS and buy them in packs of 10, not a cheap way to fill a board though...
Do you know what they differences are between G20 and DSA Profiles?

~I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶(̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶)̶ I am a keyboard geek~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:09:25 »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Do you know what they differences are between G20 and DSA Profiles?

DSA is uniform profile - each keycap is the same height.

AFAIK G20 is uniform profile too, but the keys are wider at the top so they seem closer together, and they have flat upper surfaces (whereas DSA are spherical).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 02:00:01 »
I have't seen any G20 caps in person and they look pretty flat to me, but according to keychatter they have a 'slight front to back slope' which would make them slightly staircase.  As Rowdy said they have big flat tops while DSA have smaller tops.

Importantly here DSA are flat not staircase or contour so you don't want them.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fi0x

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 23:19:48 »
Ahhh... I see.
Thanks for all the help guys!
Much appreciate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 05:42:02 »
Ahhh... I see.
Much appreciate.

If you do decide to get a set of G20, please type a brief review as we haven't heard much about them :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fi0x

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 01:56:00 »
Ahhh... I see.
Much appreciate.

If you do decide to get a set of G20, please type a brief review as we haven't heard much about them :)

I definitely will!

Offline fi0x

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 02:14:37 »
BTW Does anyone know if the G20 sets on PMK are PBT or ABS?
Also are there any manufacturers other than PMK and Signature Plastics? I'm having trouble finding them if there are.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 06:06:32 »
BTW Does anyone know if the G20 sets on PMK are PBT or ABS?
Also are there any manufacturers other than PMK and Signature Plastics? I'm having trouble finding them if there are.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-blank-keycap-sets/

Seems to indicate they are PBT.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keycap-sets/

Seems to indicate they are either.

Could be either, like DSA.

There's also a good side view photo here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 April 2016, 06:08:46 by rowdy »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 16:18:14 »
I'm not 100% certain but I think Varmilo keycaps are OEM profile. I see that you don't like the curvature on the top of the keycap. Most of the listings I've read have the profile as OEM. They're fairly common on ebay if you search for side printed keycaps. NPKC are pretty close but AFAIK those are similar to taihao keycaps in regards to sculpting. Might be a little more curvature than you would like. If you're the adventurous type I would check on Aliexpress. You can pretty much get any Varmilo keycap color you would ever think of on that site.

Geekkeys.com has a set with what looks like the same shape/profile as Varmilo keycaps. There was another website that kept a few Varmilo keyboards and keycaps in stock but I can't find it in my links.

Offline fi0x

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:49:21 »
I'm not 100% certain but I think Varmilo keycaps are OEM profile. I see that you don't like the curvature on the top of the keycap. Most of the listings I've read have the profile as OEM. They're fairly common on ebay if you search for side printed keycaps. NPKC are pretty close but AFAIK those are similar to taihao keycaps in regards to sculpting. Might be a little more curvature than you would like. If you're the adventurous type I would check on Aliexpress. You can pretty much get any Varmilo keycap color you would ever think of on that site.

Geekkeys.com has a set with what looks like the same shape/profile as Varmilo keycaps. There was another website that kept a few Varmilo keyboards and keycaps in stock but I can't find it in my links.
Thanks I'll definitely take a look!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:58:38 »

Thanks I'll definitely take a look!

You are most totally welcome :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 09:50:50 »
If a set has dyesub legends it's PBT, you can't dye ABS :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks