Author Topic: Super Smash Brothers inspired Novelty Key caps- Idea  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Suembeaux

Super Smash Brothers inspired Novelty Key caps- Idea
« on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:05:47 »
I have been participating in the MK community for nearly 2 years now, and it consumes a large portion of my time (and money). I wanted to try to combine it with another one of my favorite time wasters, Super Smash Bros.
I took a couple hours and my idea morphed into this (I am not very proficient with Photoshop, so please excuse my rudimentary image).

I figured this had to have been done already, and did some light digging and only found this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44893.0. It looks like it was just left hanging with fear that copyright stuff would interfere since SP is serious about that.

I focused on color combinations of popular sets like Eve, PuLSE, and HAcked, as well as a couple combinations derived from the game itself. I figure the simple logos will be easiest and most realistic, I am totally open to more color and design suggestions.
I would like to see how big the intersection between MK and Smash is, and if there is any way to bring this into fruition I would be willing to put forth the time and effort to do so.

I will be honest and admit I have no idea how to go about making this idea a reality, so I invite all your suggestions, pointers, criticism and memes, especially from keyset and novelty designers.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:13:25 by Suembeaux »
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline Scgmdx2

Re: Super Smash Brothers inspired Novelty Key caps- Idea
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 21:48:45 »
I'd buy a shine cap for sure, probably a logo one as well. Looks great!!! Maybe a backlit version would be cool too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 00:35:36 »
If you did run this would you run it as a set or would people be able to pick singles of the color/profile they wanted?

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 00:37:25 »
I'd buy a shine cap for sure, probably a logo one as well. Looks great!!! Maybe a backlit version would be cool too?

A backlit version could probably be made from Max Keyboard's custom backlit keycaps here: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-backlight-compatible-keycap-for-backlit-keyboard.html

If you did run this would you run it as a set or would people be able to pick singles of the color/profile they wanted?

Just from participating in group buys in the past, I would assume running it as a full kit would be the best. It would be similar to the Out of the Vault Fallout kit. Obviously singles could be obtained from either group buy extras or second hand from people who did not use them, but I (or whoever runs this) would for sure do all together.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2016, 00:40:12 by Suembeaux »

/u/Shartastical

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 20:23:53 »

A backlit version could probably be made from Max Keyboard's custom backlit keycaps here: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-backlight-compatible-keycap-for-backlit-keyboard.html

Just from participating in group buys in the past, I would assume running it as a full kit would be the best. It would be similar to the Out of the Vault Fallout kit. Obviously singles could be obtained from either group buy extras or second hand from people who did not use them, but I (or whoever runs this) would for sure do all together.

I would definitely second selling as a kit. I would be on this if it happened, R3 SA or DSA caps all around. I really like the idea of all of the logos from the thread you found while digging in the OP as well.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 20:35:43 »
I can definitely get behind this. And a kit for sure, single caps would be a nightmare both logistically and in regards to MOQ.

What profile are you thinking? Presumably SA or DSA given the sets you mentioned? I wonder if SP would be willing to fragment the profiles within a single buy for something like this. I'd love to have a DCS cap or two for Raindrop, CCnG, Red Alert, etc - though I also understand that may not be popular and feasible.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 20:38:48 »
I can definitely get behind this. And a kit for sure, single caps would be a nightmare both logistically and in regards to MOQ.

What profile are you thinking? Presumably SA or DSA given the sets you mentioned? I wonder if SP would be willing to fragment the profiles within a single buy for something like this. I'd love to have a DCS cap or two for Raindrop, CCnG, Red Alert, etc - though I also understand that may not be popular and feasible.

I think DCS could be fairly popular, really depends on how well the colorways match popular sets like Hyperfuse/Red Alert though. A carbon colorway would probably do pretty well too, I imagine the GMK buy will go over real well considering the popularity of the SA set

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 20:45:59 »

00zero00 said that he found that selling as singles ended up being the most popular so that is something to consider as well. Maybe as the idea progresses a poll can be added to see which people prefer. What the GB leader thinks he/she can handle should also be taken into account.

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 02:57:56 »

I think SA R3 and DSA would be the best options from SP, I would absolutely LOVE GMK R1 molds as well. I am all for running this myself, but I would need a whole lot of guidance. I would also be completely ok with someone else more experienced using my basic idea. There may be some legitimate work into making this a reality...as in speaking with someone at HAL/Nintendo getting the ok to use the smash ball. I am not worried about the shine design since it's just a hollow hexagon. I would totally be willing to put in said work. The Smash community is huge, and even if they aren't all MK fanatics, I am sure a pretty good amount of them have MK's.

/u/Shartastical

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 18:18:53 »
I'd love to join as well, looks great! :)

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 05:37:39 »
If you could get them made in Cherry profile, I'd be down. Been thinking about how much I want a shine cap recently.

Edit: You could maybe make an inquiry to JTK? I don't think they have plans after Sophomore is done, and the cost wouldn't be as insane as getting them from GMK.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 05:39:29 by timerwin63 »
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 21:57:14 »
If you could get them made in Cherry profile, I'd be down. Been thinking about how much I want a shine cap recently.

Edit: You could maybe make an inquiry to JTK? I don't think they have plans after Sophomore is done, and the cost wouldn't be as insane as getting them from GMK.

JTK would definitely be a good option if they (he, she, idk) would be willing to make novelties. I see the star and cherry novelties they have included in other sets, but I have yet to see them make anything for anyone other than CTRL.ALT. SP is still the most likely, with GMK coming up next (seeing as they are making a ton of novelties with their Carbon set).

I would still appreciate a push in the right direction from anyone who knows more than I. Right now I have the idea with no idea where to go with it, thanks!

/u/Shartastical

Offline Proyoyo

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 22:24:58 »
I would get one as well! I'm more interested in a kit rather than singles.