Author Topic: Keyboards for kids - Datadesk LF-2500  (Read 5162 times)

Offline xDezor

Keyboards for kids - Datadesk LF-2500
« on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 19:30:16 »
Anyone else have one of these (or another keyboard made for children)? It is a Datadesk LittleFingers 2500 keyboard. Whatcha think?

I found this nifty little thing at a yard sale. It's a really, really small keyboard made for kids and comes with a trackball. I don't really know much about it. When I first saw it for sale I noticed that the keys felt much nicer than the generic Microsoft membrane keyboard I was using at the time. At $4 I decided I might as well buy it. This is the first keyboard I bought "just because".

I tried typing on it for a while, but my finger is actually bigger than an entire keycap. To give you an idea, If I spread my fingers out on my hand to make a star, the distance from my pinky to my thumb is the same width of the keys (from caps lock to enter). The manual says that the entire width of the case is 12.5". It also brings up a good point; large keyboards force children to search and peck, but a more appropriately sized keyboard allows them to start learning how to type properly at a much younger age. I think I'll keep it for when my kids get their first PC.

I don't really know anything about the switches, other than that they're not square like the Cherry ones in my Quick Fire Rapid. They sound different too. The little datadesk keys are actually louder than my QFR, but it is a different tone. The important thing is that it is very pleasant to type on, even if it is just another membrane keyboard. This same company makes another keyboard (that is full sized) that lists "long life tactile-feedback mechanical key switches for faster and easier typing" as a feature. They look similar. I wonder if this small keyboard is the same.

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2013, 19:46:11 by xDezor »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Keyboards for kids - Datadesk LF-2500
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 19:35:08 »
Look like old school RDs..the good kind though.  That's an awesome find.  After a few beers, I'd have a blast trying to type on that.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 06:02:52 »
I think I'd feel like a giant if I got to type on one of those..

Offline Glissant

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 06:05:07 »
Excellent find, my friend! The keyboard actually made me daydream about how to get my future children into mechanical keyboards :)). I hang out here way too little ;).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 07:16:15 »
Funny, a year ago we had a long thread about a Milton-Bradley keyboard that I was selling.

It was marketed to kids but had GIANT colored keys. Everybody ridiculed it even though it had nice clicky white Alps.

Eventually I sold it on ebay to a guy who bought it for his ancient grandmother with macular degeneration and arthritis, and she absolutely loves it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 07:48:41 »
That looks pretty awesome!

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline xDezor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:12:20 »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 17:58:09 »
Cute, lol. And I would love to try typing on one of those.