Author Topic: [IC] GMK Dots (GB live!)  (Read 98483 times)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
Re: [IC] GMK Dots
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 07:26:20 »
Great work as always biip! I’ll make sure to join this one. Hopefully the next iteration will be white-based and support ergodox too, that will be a great homage to Damien Hirst’s painting and also OP-1 device by Teenage Engineering  :thumb:

Offline ndom91

• ndo.dev
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 08:52:20 »
Hey guys, so I'm new to this whole thing but definitely do not want to miss out on these!

What do I need to keep an eye out for? Will this be dropped through a group buy via the resellers listed in the OP eventually? How best to get in on that quickly? Check this thread or should we follow the creator on Twitter or whatever?

Thanks a lot guys!

The set will be on sale via the listed proxies on the planned date (July 1st) and will last for one month. You can check this thread for when the group buy is open, and/or be on the lookout in the Group Buy section of the forum for the new thread. The new thread is where the discussion will take place when the group buy is active and when it is over.

Okay so if I understand you correctly there are two avenues to purchase this:

1 - Group Buy which will be announced via a new thread on here in the Group Buy section.
2 - The resellers in the OP will sell it for 1 month starting July 1st.

Is that correct? 

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 09:07:09 »
Hey guys, so I'm new to this whole thing but definitely do not want to miss out on these!

What do I need to keep an eye out for? Will this be dropped through a group buy via the resellers listed in the OP eventually? How best to get in on that quickly? Check this thread or should we follow the creator on Twitter or whatever?

Thanks a lot guys!

The set will be on sale via the listed proxies on the planned date (July 1st) and will last for one month. You can check this thread for when the group buy is open, and/or be on the lookout in the Group Buy section of the forum for the new thread. The new thread is where the discussion will take place when the group buy is active and when it is over.

Okay so if I understand you correctly there are two avenues to purchase this:

1 - Group Buy which will be announced via a new thread on here in the Group Buy section.
2 - The resellers in the OP will sell it for 1 month starting July 1st.

Is that correct?

The group buy is run through those proxies, so just purchase through the store in your region. The Group Buy thread on here is just a forum for questions and what not to do with the Group Buy itself.

Offline ndom91

• ndo.dev
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 10:11:12 »
Ah okay great, gotcha.

Thanks guys!

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 10:19:45 »
Hey Biip, I was curious if you have given any thought to a “Light/White” “Alphas” Kit for this set?

Similar to how Solarized Dark/Light, or Oblivion has done.

*White/light Alpha Kit with dark dots*

I figure most everything is pretty set in stone already but Thought it sounded like an interesting idea :thumb:

Offline equalunique

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 12:47:25 »
I know there isn't an assembly kit, but if I had to choose between a GMK Dots assembly kit and a GMK Oblivion assembly kit, I would go for Dots...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 03:30:12 »
I'm back!

So, updates:
- 1x R3 1u modifier added to Nomad kit.
- Ergo kit
- Extra dots kit

Would like to get your thoughts about the ergo kit. There are missing keycaps because you might re-use those from base kit :thumb:

Offline harlekein

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 03:34:34 »
Personally I think the base kit has plenty of colored 1u keys with the exception of R3. The add on kit doesn't seem to add anything besides R3.

The base kit however has extra white 1u keys which do not appear to serve any function.

Therefore I would rather see those three white R3 keys replaced with colored keys and the add on kit could go.

Offline surjection

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 04:14:58 »
Thanks for the update.

Do you still intend for the ISO Enter key to have a dot on it, or will you replace it with a line as has been suggested elsewhere in the thread?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 04:20:24 »
I would include Alphas in the Ergodox kit. With an MOQ of 100, it is more likely that you will find 100 buyers for a single 120$ (estimate) Ergodox kit than finding 100 buyers that will spend 220$ (estimate) for Base + Ergo mods

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 04:40:39 »
I would include Alphas in the Ergodox kit. With an MOQ of 100, it is more likely that you will find 100 buyers for a single 120$ (estimate) Ergodox kit than finding 100 buyers that will spend 220$ (estimate) for Base + Ergo mods

this.

Offline radam

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 05:14:30 »
Personally I think the base kit has plenty of colored 1u keys with the exception of R3. The add on kit doesn't seem to add anything besides R3.

The base kit however has extra white 1u keys which do not appear to serve any function.

Therefore I would rather see those three white R3 keys replaced with colored keys and the add on kit could go.

I think these are alternate homing keys (non-bars). Though, I do agree there are a lot of 1u colors in other rows in the base kit.
I would find useful 1 or 2 alternate color (maybe orange/red/green) R3 1.25 keys in the add-ons for some 40%.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 05:45:39 »

I agree

Edit: what’s the addon kit for? Somehow I feel it will become more interesting if you put macro board (like M-10 / M-6 / Nano) as a foundation too, since it will appeal for them directly.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2019, 08:23:03 by jebbra »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 10:20:06 »
I'm back!

So, updates:
- 1x R3 1u modifier added to Nomad kit.
- Ergo kit
- Extra dots kit

Would like to get your thoughts about the ergo kit. There are missing keycaps because you might re-use those from base kit :thumb:

I'm super happy that it exists. Epic!

Agree with others that including alphas with it, like an Oblotzky-style "Assembly Kit" would be ideal.

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2019, 10:24:32 by equalunique »

Offline rowie

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 10:22:49 »
Awesome update. Is it me, but is the Ergodox missing two R4 1u keys for the left and right hand?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 10:27:04 »
Awesome update. Is it me, but is the Ergodox missing two R4 1u keys for the left and right hand?

Since you'd also need the base kit, I just get rid off duplicates.
But I'll include alphas in the ergo kit I think so nevermind :thumb:

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 10:36:31 »
Super excited for this set!  :)

Any chance for a translucent dots? Something like the ñ kit from GMK Jamon could be cool with 4 x 1U R0-R4 keys so that people could pick up as many as they need for coverage.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 12:37:58 »
Like the extra dots

Will you change iso enter to a vertical line or anything else or stay with the dot?

Translucent dot sounds like a fun idea.

Translucent ESC dot :)

Offline bnhw

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 12:53:03 »
Would you consider moving the R3 1.25u key to the base kit? Then you could cover a whole bunch of 40s layouts without needing to buy the dedicated kit.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
Re: [IC] GMK Dots (Ergo kit added)
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 14:37:14 »
New ergo kit, with ortho support :eek:

Offline kennardsmith

Re: [IC] GMK Dots (ergo kit added)
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 14:56:04 »

Show Image

dear me, it's time to get an ergodox
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline pcire

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 14:57:50 »

Show Image

dear me, it's time to get an ergodox

For reals! I now want to get it in case I ever want to try one out

Offline harlekein

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 15:06:33 »
Nice. Ortho user here and 100% in on that ergo/ortho kit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:09:18 by harlekein »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 15:09:38 »
now i kinda want to get an ergo and this, just to see how much my WPM tanks

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 15:18:13 »
Like the bonus dots kit. would be awesome with a macropad.

Offline Magik

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 09:59:50 »
This is sooo beautiful I love it,  put it on Massdrop so more people will buy into it!   Maybe do a collab with Rama for a gold exit key dot. Sooo Hyped!

Offline rowie

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 10:10:57 »
This is sooo beautiful I love it,  put it on Massdrop so more people will buy into it!   Maybe do a collab with Rama for a gold exit key dot. Sooo Hyped!

On the first page it mentions the vendors. For the US it is Novelkeys. I agree with you in that Drop would be nice because you get nice MOQ tier drops that a lot of small vendors lack, at least in my experience I feel like I get a better experience with Drop when it comes to the price breakups and goals. Plus you get nice updates with cool charts from the user Dvorcal.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 10:24:22 »
In EU we definitely do not prefer massdrop. The price drops have been negligible lately anyway.

And Dvorcol is active on these forums as well. He did graphs for DSA Scientific. Maybe if you ask nicely he will do it for GMK Dots as well.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 10:31:46 »
If you guys want graphs, I'll dot that :thumb:

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 12:26:14 »
And don‘t worry about prices.

Biip did the fairest prices I know with Bento and Ext2048.

Still like the idea of 1 translucent dot ESC key.

Offline kaizo

• penguin flippers make it hard to type
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:02:14 »
I can't wait! My first keycap set  :D

Offline dav1k

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:09:10 »

A few years ago when I started buying up key cap sets, you'd have a base kit and various child kits that fitted out the various alternative layouts that was on offer. It was fairly easily as a buyer to grab a set and have it cover whatever layouts I desired without lots of dupes. I honestly just purchased sets with nearly every kit possible.

I must be clearly in the minority as it seems things have changed as many key sets seem to pair a layout with an entire set. So say, you offer this ergodox set as you have stated, I am gonna buy the base kit for my TKL, anything else needed for my 60%, the 40/50/ortho kit for said layouts and the ergodox kit for my ergodox/boardwalk. I'll cover all my layouts and have plenty of unnecessary dupes at the same time.

Look, mate, I understand very clearly trying to minimize the number of kits to reach MOQs and whatnot. I'm balancing expenditures just like those selling; it makes sense. It's just .... frustrating ultimately because in the end I'll definitely bail on a layout I'll like to cover but won't purchase said kit because I don't want to have nor spend what it takes to house another complete set of alphas or something.

I apologize for my tone  :mad: :-[, as this isn't directly at anyone or anything specific. This is just something I've noticed and becoming a personal issue trying to maintain multiple, simultaneous layouts for my keyboard collection.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:26:55 »

A few years ago when I started buying up key cap sets, you'd have a base kit and various child kits that fitted out the various alternative layouts that was on offer. It was fairly easily as a buyer to grab a set and have it cover whatever layouts I desired without lots of dupes. I honestly just purchased sets with nearly every kit possible.

I must be clearly in the minority as it seems things have changed as many key sets seem to pair a layout with an entire set. So say, you offer this ergodox set as you have stated, I am gonna buy the base kit for my TKL, anything else needed for my 60%, the 40/50/ortho kit for said layouts and the ergodox kit for my ergodox/boardwalk. I'll cover all my layouts and have plenty of unnecessary dupes at the same time.

Look, mate, I understand very clearly trying to minimize the number of kits to reach MOQs and whatnot. I'm balancing expenditures just like those selling; it makes sense. It's just .... frustrating ultimately because in the end I'll definitely bail on a layout I'll like to cover but won't purchase said kit because I don't want to have nor spend what it takes to house another complete set of alphas or something.

I apologize for my tone  :mad: :-[, as this isn't directly at anyone or anything specific. This is just something I've noticed and becoming a personal issue trying to maintain multiple, simultaneous layouts for my keyboard collection.

You're not alone but we're definitely the minority. I generally need both the base kit and ortho kit to get coverage on my layout:

Sadly, now that it's become a trend to include alphas in the ortho/ergo kits, I've had to sit out of many buys because it's simply to expensive to get both and have an entire duplicate set of alphas.

Part of the problem is that GMK isn't as flexible with breaking up kits so separating alphas from TKL mods for example is pretty rare whereas that's common for SA and MT3 drops. The main reason I'm so stoked for this drop is it will be unusually easy to cover my keyboards. :)

Offline uood5

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:34:45 »
What I'd do for 4x R4 1.25u mods in the ergo kit for unigo66 support...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline Grindbox

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:43:15 »
I'm in for at least one ergo kit for sure.  I'll need to find a way to score a couple extra row 4 1.5u mods for my sol and my wife's boardwalk.  Either trade for them since they're mostly unused for typical builds or buy a base kit and resell the rest.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 17:06:17 »
Personally I am very happy for a complete kit ergo/ortho kit. It's pricey enough as it is and I find it hard to justify spending around 200 for ortho coverage.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #236 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 01:33:20 »
Sold on the ortho kit

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 06:33:20 »
when wil the GB start? I am thinking of skipping oblivion r2 for this set

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 06:42:31 »
when wil the GB start? I am thinking of skipping oblivion r2 for this set

Group Buy infos

When?
The GB is planned for July 1st and will last one month

Proxies:
US: Novelkeys
AUS: Daily Clack
EU: Candykeys
ASIA: zFrontier

Offline dmp25

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 12:17:02 »
Definitely in. Had to finally create a gh account after being a long time lurker 😂

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 14:40:55 »
I'm in for ortho kit  ;)

Offline gecruz

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 15:28:08 »

Show Image

Woow! Would you add another 2u space key for Boardwalk?

Offline FatOldGuy

• SA4Lyfe
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 15:32:36 »
I want this so bad... but ya know, SA  :'(

Offline dav1k

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 18:51:51 »
You're not alone but we're definitely the minority. I generally need both the base kit and ortho kit to get coverage on my layout:

Show Image

Sadly, now that it's become a trend to include alphas in the ortho/ergo kits, I've had to sit out of many buys because it's simply to expensive to get both and have an entire duplicate set of alphas.

Part of the problem is that GMK isn't as flexible with breaking up kits so separating alphas from TKL mods for example is pretty rare whereas that's common for SA and MT3 drops. The main reason I'm so stoked for this drop is it will be unusually easy to cover my keyboards. :)

I greatly appreciate your comments!

And given that this GroupBuy is basically ready to go, I think I'll end up committing to having GMK Dots for my upcoming Boardwalk/Ergo/Ortho builds because I really think they look amazing and I'm tried of Assembly legends for those mods.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 19:20:10 »

Show Image

I think the ergo kit would look better if the two grey 1.5u mods were not back-to-back. I understand that the color pattern is copying the base kit, but I think it feels odd here. Perhaps change one of those grey colors for orange or sky blue?

Thanks for considering, Biip!  ;)

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 05:43:20 »
Another lurker converted to register interest in the ortho/ergo kit. This will look so good on a Boardwalk.

Offline poolside

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 08:32:49 »
Can't wait to bring these caps to work  :thumb:

I feel like this set might be a great companion to PC/acrylic boards with RGB underglow.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 11:30:49 »
Excited as heck about ALL these kits

Not only do I like weird obscure ortho/ergo boards, but I also like weird obscure keymaps, so a quality blank set like this is *perfect*

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 20:26:08 »
Show Image

Hey fellows!

The April Fool just became real!
After so much excitement I just couldn't resist to offer you that set ;D

Let me introduce you: GMK Dots

Group Buy infos

When?
The GB is planned for July 1st and will last one month

Proxies:
  • US: Novelkeys
  • AUS: Daily Clack
  • EU: Candykeys
  • ASIA: zFrontier

How much?
Depending on the colors I'll use (amount of custom colors and/or if I choose to use existing GMK ones):
Base kit: around $130 / 250MOQ
Nomad kit: around $35 / 150MOQ

Kits

Show Image

Renders
by the one and only Oblotzky

M65-A

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

TGR Alice

Show Image

Show Image

Grid600

Show Image

Show Image

Jane 2

Show Image

Show Image

M60-A

Show Image

Show Image

Andromeda

Show Image

Show Image

Pearl

Show Image

Show Image

Preonic

Show Image

Show Image

Feel free to let me know what do you think in the comments :)
You can support the project by using this signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100890.0][img width=302 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/HB4ziiS.png[/img][/url]

Haha imagine students and teachers in my school trying to type on this one  :))

Offline dav1k

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 02:20:16 »

Show Image

I think the ergo kit would look better if the two grey 1.5u mods were not back-to-back. I understand that the color pattern is copying the base kit, but I think it feels odd here. Perhaps change one of those grey colors for orange or sky blue?

Thanks for considering, Biip!  ;)

I have to agree! Let's get some of those cyan and purple 1.5u mods in place maybe?