Author Topic: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)  (Read 86642 times)

Offline constellation

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Aluminum Kit for $165 + Shipping (ends August 16th)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 22:57:55 »
Oooh, perfect. That's the grey I like!

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 04:11:08 »
Hey :D is that my board?

Offline cynviloq

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 14:23:32 »
Do we know exactly what layouts will be supported. I want to join the Godspeed drop and am not exactly sure what to order. Is the spacebar 6u or 7u.

-Axiomatik

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 14:28:04 »
Do we know exactly what layouts will be supported. I want to join the Godspeed drop and am not exactly sure what to order. Is the spacebar 6u or 7u.

Show Image

Show Image

Space is standard 6.25u

Bottom row is 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.5-1.5

Offline peonpeon

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 11:10:21 »
This looks great. One question about the layout though, where's the backslash?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 11:53:09 »
This looks great. One question about the layout though, where's the backslash?

Default layout backslash is under Backspace - the layout shown on the black keyboard in the pictures is my personal one and I use an HHKB-style layout so the keys are a little different.

The PCB will come pre-flashed with a default layout akin to a normal 96-key board.

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 14:43:19 »
Is this a high profile case?  Looking at the sample images it looks to be but just wanted to make sure.
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 16:19:51 »
Is this a high profile case?  Looking at the sample images it looks to be but just wanted to make sure.

It is.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 19:51:42 »

It is.

Thanks!  One other question.

Is the PCB used in this board readily available in the market or is it a good idea to buy an extra pcb with the group buy? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 22:29:44 »

It is.

Thanks!  One other question.

Is the PCB used in this board readily available in the market or is it a good idea to buy an extra pcb with the group buy? 

Standards are hazy for 96 key PCBs, I recommend buying a second PCB and plate if you can.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline w.meri

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 02:56:52 »
Anyone know if the PCB with this group buy happens to be from the same manufacturer as the recent 96-key group buy on Reddit?

The PCB from that buy was surprisingly good quality.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 03:01:49 »
Anyone know if the PCB with this group buy happens to be from the same manufacturer as the recent 96-key group buy on Reddit?

The PCB from that buy was surprisingly good quality.

Not sure who the manufacturer of any of the recent 96-key group buys (there were a few for acrylic / plastic cases), but it is the same as the original round 1.

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 08:19:56 »
Can this pcb support a layout similar to the below?

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 10:17:00 »
Could you please post a clear picture of the PCB? Do we have any options in terms of layout or is the one shown the only option?

Here are a couple more examples of 96 layouts

-Axiomatik

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 12:13:22 »
Could you please post a clear picture of the PCB? Do we have any options in terms of layout or is the one shown the only option?

Show Image

Hi - did you check the actual link to the product? The first picture shows the plate and PCB clearly. I think most of your limitation is the plate, but the PCB does not support split backspace.

With respect to both of your links, a 7u is possible for the PCB but not the plate that it come with. The PCB does not support 1.5-1-1.5 on the right side as far as I can tell.

I'm happy to take another picture of the PCB but it would be redundant to what is in the product link with the plate overlaid.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2017, 12:26:35 by cynviloq »

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 12:22:49 »
Can this pcb support a layout similar to the below?

Show Image

Not entirely - you can look at the first picture on the product link to see layouts supported.

The plate/PCB supports the full Shift and split '+' on the Numpad, however on the bottom row the right of the Spacebar you can really only do 1.5-1.5-1-1 due to the PCB.

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 15:33:15 »

Show Image

Hi - did you check the actual link to the product? The first picture shows the plate and PCB clearly. I think most of your limitation is the plate, but the PCB does not support split backspace.

With respect to both of your links, a 7u is possible for the PCB but not the plate that it come with. The PCB does not support 1.5-1-1.5 on the right side as far as I can tell.

I'm happy to take another picture of the PCB but it would be redundant to what is in the product link with the plate overlaid.

I'm a bit confused now. I went back and looked at the picture/plate combo and it looks identical to RS96 board/plate and they were able to support a few different layouts, including the one OmegaSupreme was asking about.

This is important to understand as it directly effects what key caps need to be ordered and as you well know there's only a small window to order for group buys.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-iii-ver-a-96-key-custom-keyboard-kit
-Axiomatik

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 17:27:32 »

Show Image

I'm a bit confused now. I went back and looked at the picture/plate combo and it looks identical to RS96 board/plate and they were able to support a few different layouts, including the one OmegaSupreme was asking about.

This is important to understand as it directly effects what key caps need to be ordered and as you well know there's only a small window to order for group buys.

Show Image

Show Image

use your eyes please

redscarf PCB, which supports your weird layout

see that it has three options in one spot

GSX

see that it only has 1 option in two spots

hence, does not support the layout

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 09:38:02 »

Show Image

I think Puddsy hit the main point which is that the PCBs are not similar. I think the picture that you displayed of 96KEE is pretty evident of the layout, however I will try to make a layout in layouteditor to show the possibilities (which are not that wide from the standard 96-key layout).

As mentioned before, the default bottom row is 1.5-1.5-6.25-1.5-1.5.

Offline autobot

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 14:28:42 »
Snap, I wish there was a cyan case option, would love to match my Ocean Dolch caps to it.  :blank:

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 14:40:20 »
Anyword on if this will fit a ZZ96 PCB? I have an acrylic ZZ96 that needs to go metal

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 21:09:17 »
Anyword on if this will fit a ZZ96 PCB? I have an acrylic ZZ96 that needs to go metal

Do you mind sharing a picture of the ZZ96 PCB? I'm not sure and cannot guarantee the compatibility but happy to take a look.

Offline InTheFlesh

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 11:48:02 »
I have kind of a silly question, I'm a bit new to buying kits.
I see there is translucent plastic on the sides of the body for LEDs but I don't see anything about the kit coming with LEDs. Do I need to buy those separately?
Edit: Another question, is it possible to change the Delete key to a backslash key?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2017, 12:42:05 by InTheFlesh »

Offline w.meri

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 13:17:26 »
I see there is translucent plastic on the sides of the body for LEDs but I don't see anything about the kit coming with LEDs. Do I need to buy those separately?
Edit: Another question, is it possible to change the Delete key to a backslash key?

The PCB has RGB underglow LEDs pre-soldered on the back of the PCB. There are spots for through hole in-key LEDs as well, but those LEDs are not provided.

Should be able to change any key to anything you want. The PS2AVRGB program allows for the user to setup the keys any way they want. Or at least that's how the PS2AVRGB program worked for me a couple weeks ago when I was setting up a 96-key I got from a different group buy.

(I'm like 92% sure the PCBs from that GB and this one are the same)

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 22:15:02 »

As w.meri mentioned, RGB underglow (bottom side of the PCB) has the LEDs pre-soldered.

For normal in-switch LEDs, there is are through holes for normal 2-leg LEDs, but the LEDs themselves are not provided. (They are sold in 1.8mm and 2x3x4mm variety on the same store though).

It is possible to program all the keys, they will be flashed with a default layout -- the layout seen in the black version is a custom layout that was programmed. The default layout will have a backslash where a delete is shown.

Offline cynviloq

Hello all - a new update has been posted in the first post (at the top) stating the below:

Quick update - the first two batches of orders (~95 units) have been placed with the manufacturer. I'm trying to get a sample quickly produced to make sure all the changes to R1 are as expected. Then production on the two sets of orders placed will begin (timeline still as expected) - all orders up until 8/9 have been submitted. To-date total of ordered kits is 120 (large majority are titanium grey, black, and silver, only a smattering of blue/red).

Why the extension?: Just another week and a half to give a few more people the chance to order. I've had quite a few messages asking for a little bit extra time to place the order and given we do not have a specific MOQ and the orders are placed on a rolling basis, I have no issues opening it up to more people.

Offline Nonster

• Lo-Ki Studios
Hello all - a new update has been posted in the first post (at the top) stating the below:

Quick update - the first two batches of orders (~95 units) have been placed with the manufacturer. I'm trying to get a sample quickly produced to make sure all the changes to R1 are as expected. Then production on the two sets of orders placed will begin (timeline still as expected) - all orders up until 8/9 have been submitted. To-date total of ordered kits is 120 (large majority are titanium grey, black, and silver, only a smattering of blue/red).

Why the extension?: Just another week and a half to give a few more people the chance to order. I've had quite a few messages asking for a little bit extra time to place the order and given we do not have a specific MOQ and the orders are placed on a rolling basis, I have no issues opening it up to more people.
Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing the sample.
More

Offline Skinjob

You recommend a second PCB basically because I might fry it during the soldering process or is there another reason I'm not aware of?

Offline cynviloq

You recommend a second PCB basically because I might fry it during the soldering process or is there another reason I'm not aware of?

Some people like having an extra PCB for a bunch of reasons including what you listed.

Others also like having a second PCB that they can put alternate switches / layout on so they don't have to desolder the first to swap between them.

Or to use in other cases / builds.

It's really up to you!

Also - a nice bonus, I think I've managed to get the manufacturer to change to a different base PCB (allows for split backspace and more options on the bottom row, though still limited a bit by the plate) for a marginal cost increase which I will cover.

Offline Nonster

• Lo-Ki Studios

Some people like having an extra PCB for a bunch of reasons including what you listed.

Others also like having a second PCB that they can put alternate switches / layout on so they don't have to desolder the first to swap between them.

It's really up to you!

Also - a nice bonus, I think I've managed to get the manufacturer to change to a different base PCB (allows for split backspace and more options on the bottom row, though still limited a bit by the plate) for a marginal cost increase which I will cover.
This is great news, having more layout options is a huge plus to this groupbuy. Thank you!
More

Offline gerold

Does this support iso layout?
I'm pretty new to the scene and can't quite figure out.

Offline aznreaper

Hi, any chance you guys will consider adding support for split space in the future runs? Only thing stopping me right now

Offline Skinjob

Hi, any chance you guys will consider adding support for split space in the future runs? Only thing stopping me right now

Offline aznreaper

Woops I'm dumb, totally missed that, tough to pass on it now...

Offline cynviloq

Woops I'm dumb, totally missed that, tough to pass on it now...

Split backspace - split space won't be supported in this version. Sorry :-/

Will get a layout render here tomorrow!

Offline mintyfruits

It's really up to you!

If you can confirm that this will in fact support split backspace, I'll hop in this right away.

Edit: nevermind, I should have kept reading.

Edit 2: still an idiot, should have really read. So to confirm, split backspace is a thing?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 August 2017, 11:06:59 by mintyfruits »

Offline cynviloq

It's really up to you!

If you can confirm that this will in fact support split backspace, I'll hop in this right away.

Edit: nevermind, I should have kept reading.

Edit 2: still an idiot, should have really read. So to confirm, split backspace is a thing?

PCB render below - this is what was sent to me as a proof:

Yes split backspace is a thing!

Everyone please also note the slightly expanded bottom row for additional layouts.

I think this is a welcome change for most participants - however if for some reason you do not agree with the changes (the original layout is unaffected) then please reach out.

The GB is open for a couple more days - currently in process of badgering the factory for the production sample, but it may be another week or two before we see it.

Thank you all for the support so far! I hope this turns out as well as the process has been to-date.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
Thanks for the updates, cynviloq! 
It's slightly concerning that the right middle and lower areas of the PCB have no standoff support compared to the other areas.  Perhaps I'm being paranoid.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline cynviloq

Thanks for the updates, cynviloq! 
It's slightly concerning that the right middle and lower areas of the PCB have no standoff support compared to the other areas.  Perhaps I'm being paranoid.

I think it should be okay - the prior version only had 4 standoffs and the only flex issue was on the left side. Using the prior version, I do not feel any flex on the right side, so I would not expect there to be severe issues there.

Offline cynviloq

As we approach the last 24 hours of this group buy, I just wanted to bring to people's attention that there is an agent on TaoBao running a "Round 2" of the GSX96: https://world.taobao.com/item/545282990880.htm

I originally had been speaking to this agent a couple months ago and had provided some design changes / initial steps to him as he stated that he was the factory, which was not the case. (i.e. removal of the shallow insert on the bottom of the case, change in PCB color as you see on the TB listing)

Shortly after speaking to some contacts of mine in China, I found out that he is in fact, not the factory and only a third-party agent. I did not, and do not have any issues going through an agent, but given that he had misled me to believe otherwise, I was not comfortable transferring tens of thousands of dollars to him.

A few days before the start of the GB, I broke off the arrangement with him and began working with an agent who was upfront about their relationship to the factory and has worked with me in the past (not to mention has communicated much better) - it was during this process that I was able to relay all the changes that you see listed in the first post correctly to the factory, as well as the new PCB layout and a few other small changes.

I'm giving this information because if people prefer to participate in the TB listing then I would like to give them the opportunity to do so before the 96KEE GB ends.

They seemed to have copied many of the small changes that I originally suggested, however I cannot guarantee that both products will be equal as additional changes have been made since ending the initial arrangement -- such as the PCB configuration and other various design changes meant to revert from the changes implemented in the acrylic GSX96, i.e. lack of switchtop opening in the plates, weird logo cutouts, etc.

I am hesitant to say negative things, but I would just caution that this also seems to be the same agent that misrepresented aspects of production in the Welfare96 GB to that runner and as mentioned before, also misled myself as well for a few weeks.

If you are participating in the 96KEE GB and would like to cancel your order, please e-mail me ASAP before the end of the GB and I'm happy to do so.

Thanks everyone for their orders so far and please check out the latest reddit post for giveaways! https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/6vwcox/vendor_96kee_gmk_mondrian_ending_tomorrow_august/

Offline skidude9678

I'm still in on this one 100%, can't wait to get the board.

Offline flipanda

aww, I think I just missed it.

says it's open only til the August 25th at 11:59pm ET. just when i got a new job and was hunting for a new keeb.

Offline cynviloq

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit w/ RGB (GB closed - waiting for production sample)
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 19:44:08 »
Some sample production pics - now production will start in earnest.

From the top:

Changed acrylic diffusers (new standoff placement caused the acrylic pieces to have to be adjusted

Top of PCB

Bottom of PCB

Offline skidude9678

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit w/ RGB (GB closed - waiting for production sample)
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 20:13:04 »
Looks fantastic, cannot wait for this to ship!

Offline Woovie

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 23:32:45 »
 :thumb: thanks for the update

Offline hehe13

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 15:45:41 »

Awesome! I'm excited. I got some request, do you have a side view and bottom of the metal case? And are you /u/mobilfunk?

:thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 21:51:33 »
Some sample production pics - now production will start in earnest.

From the top:
Show Image

Changed acrylic diffusers (new standoff placement caused the acrylic pieces to have to be adjusted
Show Image

Top of PCB
Show Image

Bottom of PCB
Show Image

Show Image

That's turned out rather good. Nice!

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 10:59:43 »
Looking good! Just got my Zealios in yesterday, so I'm all ready to go!  :thumb:
-Axiomatik

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 12:02:26 »

Awesome! I'm excited. I got some request, do you have a side view and bottom of the metal case? And are you /u/mobilfunk?

:thumb:

Yes I'll post them this weekend. Yes, I am.