Author Topic: New Leopold Keyboards: FC980M & FC980C  (Read 101035 times)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: New Leopold Keyboards: FC980M & FC980C
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 11:45:05 »
I swore I'd never buy another keyboard other than hhkb. That white and grey topre 1800-ish layout, though...
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 09:15:53 »
Mmmmm. It's not exactly a 1800 layout. I didn't notice it before... Look at all those keys missing on the top of the numpad. And pgup pgdown placed on the same row... No, thanks.

Hahah I love how that is making you not buy it. This is as close to 1800 as you will probably get with a Topre board.

Not gonna lie, I do wish they'd found a way to get Home and End in there.  I use those keys all the time.  Very handy for web browsing and other document navigation.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:16:04 »
Mmmmm. It's not exactly a 1800 layout. I didn't notice it before... Look at all those keys missing on the top of the numpad. And pgup pgdown placed on the same row... No, thanks.

Hahah I love how that is making you not buy it. This is as close to 1800 as you will probably get with a Topre board.

Not gonna lie, I do wish they'd found a way to get Home and End in there.  I use those keys all the time.  Very handy for web browsing and other document navigation.

Turn off numlock.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 19:29:59 »
http://geekboards.ru/collection/leopold/product/leopold-fc980c-2

A Russian site estimates December release at about roughly ₽22,900 ~ $360 USD

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:10:34 »

Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 21:34:59 »
http://geekboards.ru/collection/leopold/product/leopold-fc980c-2

A Russian site estimates December release at about roughly ₽22,900 ~ $360 USD

Sounds high to me. Wouldn't be surprised though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 23:48:25 »
I'm expecting it to land between novatouch and rf tkl on the price spectrum, so around $200.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 23:51:28 »
I'm expecting it to land between novatouch and rf tkl on the price spectrum, so around $200.

It's a Leopold, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 250.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 06:11:40 »

Seconded, just look at the price of the FC660C, no way it will be less.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 06:44:39 »

But part of the FC660C price depends on if you get one with dyesub caps or not.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 07:05:38 »

Can you even still get them with anything else? Everything I found lately was around $220 and with Dyesub.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 07:16:17 »

Can you even still get them with anything else? Everything I found lately was around $220 and with Dyesub.
Originally they didn't have dyesubs. I can't speak to current availability.

I'm thinking when they were released they were in the ~$160 price range with pad printed caps.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:28:00 »
Just got my 980M with silents today. Overall probably the most solid stock board I've tried so far.
Took it apart and about to desolder it, here's some crappy pics of the breakdown.
More

Edit: hotswap modded and ergo-clear'd. Going to be a nice replacement for my cp-sq!

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 November 2016, 23:03:19 by ceflame »

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 04:45:34 »
wowowowowowow! how does it cost with shipping? :"D

Offline nrp

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 08:09:45 »
Just got my 980M with silents today. Overall probably the most solid stock board I've tried so far.
Took it apart and about to desolder it, here's some crappy pics of the breakdown.
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Edit: hotswap modded and ergo-clear'd. Going to be a nice replacement for my cp-sq!
Show Image

Show Image

So why are you going to desolder it? What is the intention and the objective?

I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 09:22:01 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks.

Just personal preference. Not a fan of linear switches, and ergo clears are awesome. I got a MX silent board because I think it'd be easier to get rid of these switches later on, compared to blues/reds/browns etc.

Side note: the grey cherry stabilizers aren't pre-clipped/lubed like how Ducky's newer red ones are. They don't really feel mushy though compared to the clipped stabs on my other boards.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2016, 09:35:37 by ceflame »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 09:45:21 »
I cant choose between this or 96 key layout :(

I can only afford 1  :-\

Offline IneffableTao

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 16:36:13 »
Does anyone have experience setting a custom layout on Leopold's?  I saw reference to the inline USB connector but haven't heard much about that

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 16:42:06 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks.

Just personal preference. Not a fan of linear switches, and ergo clears are awesome. I got a MX silent board because I think it'd be easier to get rid of these switches later on, compared to blues/reds/browns etc.

Side note: the grey cherry stabilizers aren't pre-clipped/lubed like how Ducky's newer red ones are. They don't really feel mushy though compared to the clipped stabs on my other boards.
Thanks for all this great info and pics.

I'm not in much of a buying position right now but am really considering getting one of these boards.

Offline Dureeks

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 17:09:37 »
I'm having a pretty big problem, just got a FC980M, and it just doesn't want to register on my computer.  I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards, but when I have all the switches on the back turned to off, the caps lock and num lock lights just flash, but it doesn't register any keystrokes. When any of the switches are on, no lights, no registration, please help!!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 00:42:47 »
I'm having a pretty big problem, just got a FC980M, and it just doesn't want to register on my computer.  I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards, but when I have all the switches on the back turned to off, the caps lock and num lock lights just flash, but it doesn't register any keystrokes. When any of the switches are on, no lights, no registration, please help!!

Did you buy it online? If its dead when it arrived, you can ask for a replacement right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hurst

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 09:30:41 »
Try it on another computer.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 14:27:07 »
Try it on another computer.

I agree. If you bought a new Leopold and you know that your computer works with other keyboards definitely RMA

Offline Dureeks

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 19:56:57 »
Ah, I bought it from MK.com, the usb plug they sent was DOA, I cut down an old PS3 cable to get it working, thanks for the help!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:18:22 »
Ah, I bought it from MK.com, the usb plug they sent was DOA, I cut down an old PS3 cable to get it working, thanks for the help!

WHUT?? WHY? WARRANTY???

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:34:41 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hmm, if I could only get some ergo clears with those slider bumpers on the silent.  That might just be an MX board I'd like.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:51:10 »

WHUT?? WHY? WARRANTY???

I couldn't do that. Because of import/export fees I guess?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 08:04:14 »
The FC980C seems to be coming out on either November 23rd or 24th.

Here's to hoping I can figure out how to navigate the site by the time it comes out.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 08:39:43 »

Here's to hoping I can figure out how to navigate the site by the time it comes out.

That+Ctrl Alt sliders...my 10AE is on it's way out the door! haha
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline moh18one

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 20:56:59 »

That+Ctrl Alt sliders...my 10AE is on it's way out the door! haha

Are they the same keycaps as the Realforce keyboard ? :eek:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 01:46:57 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you sir

I came to see some photos, and you over delivered

I wonder what kind of innovation lays behind those gray cherry stabilisers, from my point of view, stabilisers are the bottlenecks of keyboards, and seeing gray ones on a Leopold really makes me wonder

Not being clipped is also pretty interesting

------

I wished to buy one FC980M for the sake of science, but decided to be more conservative with money recently, maybe if they roll out one with greys or clears, I would let go off my newly found enlightenment
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ceflame

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 09:20:43 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you sir

I came to see some photos, and you over delivered

I wonder what kind of innovation lays behind those gray cherry stabilisers, from my point of view, stabilisers are the bottlenecks of keyboards, and seeing gray ones on a Leopold really makes me wonder

Not being clipped is also pretty interesting

------

I wished to buy one FC980M for the sake of science, but decided to be more conservative with money recently, maybe if they roll out one with greys or clears, I would let go off my newly found enlightenment

You're welcome :)
I have to say, the 980M is 100% worth the price even with the standard switches. Hopefully they'll break their tradition and add MX clears since AFAIK they've never had it on any of their previous boards.
(Also, since my previous post, I've actually swapped the stock MX silents back into the board. I had a bad experience with 55g MX Silents in my VE.A so opted rushed to swap in ergoclears, but after swapping some stock MX silents back in, I fell in love).
I really want to buy/try out the 980C as well (after the great experience with the 980M), but after spending $300 on the Taobao XDA GB, I don't think it's within my budget anymore.

And just for fun, here's some weight comparisons of the 980M with other boards I've used.

Acrylic CP-SQ w/ GMK Hyperfuse: 2.41 lb | 1.09 kg
Leopold FC980M w/ stock keycaps: 2.48 lb | 1.12 kg
VE.A w/ Gateron PBT: 2.68 lb | 1.22 kg
Das Keyboard 3 w/ stock keycaps: 2.70 lb | 1.22 kg
LZ-GH w/ no keycaps: 5.89 lb | 2.67 kg

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 16:12:23 »
I wonder why Leopold doesn't provide more variety with their MX switches. I'd be interested in an MX Clear or MX Green FC980M. Maybe the've built some and found there was too much ping? Or maybe other MX switches are just not popular enough.

Offline skuko

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 04:06:08 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

you got pm sir :)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 04:51:46 »
I wish the FC980C have cherry mx compatible stems as well :(

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 10:01:20 »

"Leopold's latest 2016 FC980C capacitive solid state keyboard will be available on Wednesday, November 23."

So today seems to be the day it becomes available according to the most recent announcement (along with a run of "Real Force 87 10th Anniversary Quiet English"), but I'm not sure where to buy. I've been checking mechanicalkeyboards dot com, but nothing there yet.

Any other outlets that will be stocking this keyboard that I can check?

Offline kekstee

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 10:46:17 »
There is a price listed here, maybe it's also possible to buy and proxy it: http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1479442456
265,000 KRW ~ $223.6

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 11:30:38 »
There is a price listed here, maybe it's also possible to buy and proxy it: http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1479442456
265,000 KRW ~ $223.6

Thanks for the link!

Offline cosogi

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 23:53:07 »
I've just got my 980C board!
It sounds thock as much as realforce.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 23:56:28 »
I tried ordering from that link, but I'm running into problems during the checkout--my information isn't fully accepted, probably due to having a U.S. address/phone number?

Where did you buy it from?

Offline cosogi

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 00:00:10 »
I tried ordering from that link, but I'm running into problems during the checkout--my information isn't fully accepted, probably due to having a U.S. address/phone number?

It sells on http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1479442456 and I'm now living in south korea.
I think leopold doesn't offer oversea delivery.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 November 2016, 00:04:27 by cosogi »

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 00:14:54 »
It sells on http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1479442456 and I'm now living in south korea.

I just sent you a PM.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 00:22:50 »

sent you one as well

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 03:14:16 »
Using Easybuy7.com but not sure does it ships to USA, gotta check with them.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 12:08:38 »
Anyone try seeing if this fits in a Dolch PAC case?...with minor modifications? lol

Offline moh18one

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 15:36:34 »

Is this compatible with Realforce keycaps ?

Offline cosogi

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 17:28:40 »

Yes. but except for bottom modifier keys and right shiftbar.
space bar is the same size as realforce.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 06:18:12 »

Yes. but except for bottom modifier keys and right shiftbar.
space bar is the same size as realforce.

Oh nice  :thumb:

Offline Jaceun

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 13:31:51 »
For anyone that has experience with Topre to MX adapters, will doing so work on the 980C? I imagine it will be just fine for everything except the stabilizers, as I'm not sure how they mount. I don't have any Topre boards, so I don't know how to anticipate this. I would really like to put my GMK Carbon on my eventual 980C, whenever it hits US shores!

So far I've found these adapters: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Topre-to-MX-adapter-Topre-change-into-MX-switch/32748140639.html?shortkey=zAVzaARz&addresstype=600&detailNewVersion=&categoryId=70802
(If there are better ones out there, please let me know!)
Leopold FC660M | MX Blues

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 22:30:12 »
For anyone that has experience with Topre to MX adapters, will doing so work on the 980C? I imagine it will be just fine for everything except the stabilizers, as I'm not sure how they mount. I don't have any Topre boards, so I don't know how to anticipate this. I would really like to put my GMK Carbon on my eventual 980C, whenever it hits US shores!

So far I've found these adapters: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Topre-to-MX-adapter-Topre-change-into-MX-switch/32748140639.html?shortkey=zAVzaARz&addresstype=600&detailNewVersion=&categoryId=70802
(If there are better ones out there, please let me know!)

Those should work for the 1x and other unstabilized keys, but probably not the stabilized ones.