Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2449376 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3350 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 17:28:18 »
There is just no telling.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3351 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 18:49:58 »
The color variation of blue Alps depends upon how much hair and how many dust mites each switch has ingested. :)

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3352 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 19:02:55 »
The color variation of blue Alps depends upon how much hair and how many dust mites each switch has ingested. :)

This is what the NOS blues look like from that obscure 1987 keyboard of mine. Too bad I can't get it to work and my eyes suck at colors :|

I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3353 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 20:06:29 »
My Acer had considerable colour variation in the slider colour as well, even when I got it.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3354 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 21:39:54 »

The worst thing about having a rare and obscure switch as your favorite.
To be fair I cringe just as hard when someone trashes a perfectly working 5140 for just the board as you probably did at this image. '
They will be getting a nice new home, its a surprise :D :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3355 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 22:31:16 »
Show Image

To be fair I cringe just as hard when someone trashes a perfectly working 5140 for just the board as you probably did at this image. '
They will be getting a nice new home, its a surprise :D

Is that this one?

Apple Extended Keyboard II  in 1990  &  NeXT Black in 1986

(Attachment Link)

Offline E3E

« Reply #3356 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 23:45:18 »

:eek:

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3357 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 23:45:53 »
Show Image

:eek:

Are those what I think they are?? (Clean SKCM Greens??)

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3358 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 23:53:48 »
Ooh, where did you get those from?

Also, found all of these:
5140 keyboard w/ no caps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252519136112
Magnavox Videowriter Keyboard w/ SKCM Brown
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252519139760
TI boards with SKCL Yellow and Green
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302049224656
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272348723723
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3359 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 23:56:55 »
5140 keyboard w/ no caps
It looks like Hypersphere put those up. I hope you guys don't mind but I just BIN'd that IBM 5140 Keyboard. I'm very excited :D

Now I don't have to feel guilty about killing a 5140 for switches, haha.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3360 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:02:42 »
Show Image

They will be getting a nice new home, its a surprise :D :p
Fill that board in with some Matias or SKCM black or something, so it's at least not just a skeleton.

Offline emdude

« Reply #3361 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:04:11 »
5140 keyboard w/ no caps
It looks like Hypersphere put those up. I hope you guys don't mind but I just BIN'd that IBM 5140 Keyboard. I'm very excited :D

Very nice, hopefully it cleans up well.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline E3E

« Reply #3362 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:05:51 »
Are those what I think they are?? (Clean SKCM Greens??)

Ooh, where did you get those from?

Close; they're pine SKCM Green from the Xerox 6085 I just bought a few weeks back. I didn't desolder the board because I still find it terrible to do that to those boards. What I did instead was put the internals into some mint SKCM Salmon housings. Something I've thought about for a long time since I had the DocuTechs, but haven't done until now.

Testing them out in the hot swappable FMJ which currently has SKCM Brown. It's a direct comparison for two switches that are quite similar!

What I'm feeling is that SKCM Brown have a clunkier feeling while SKCM Greens are more airy and don't feel as clumsy. I swear I measured them at being the same weight wise, but they definitely feel different. Both switches are in good quality housings and the clunkiness I feel isn't binding. It's more like stiffness.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:08:11 by E3E »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3363 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:15:52 »

That was quick :)

Just got mine for a bit more but with keycaps, and can't wait for it to arrive.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3364 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:17:44 »
That was quick :)

Just got mine for a bit more but with keycaps, and can't wait for it to arrive.

I have been wanting some of these for a while so did not hesitate at the chance to grab 'em. Impulse purchases are the only kind of purchases I know, haha.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3365 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 01:16:02 »
Hot swapping might sound pretty trivial, but it really amazing to just pull out and replace switches at your leisure. I'm happy I did these mods, haha.

Might pop the SKCM Greens in the Orion.  :thumb: They sound really good in its case.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3366 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 06:14:42 »
I've had dampened white switches. They are not translucent at all, they are a very opaque matte white.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3367 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 11:53:16 »
@E3E: Hot-swapping switches does not sound trivial at all. Did you custom-build the hot-swappable keyboard?

@E3E and/or XMIT: Especially in light  of the ongoing GB for Alps springs,

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.msg2252288#msg2252288

do you have recommendations on which type(s) of Alps, if any, could be converted closer to the sound and feel of SKCM blue Alps? I know there are various ways to mod Alps switches, including clipping tabs on a tactile leaf to convert it to a clicky switch, and swapping various components, including sliders and/or springs. Which mods can be done "in situ" without desoldering switches?

There are numerous posts on how to transform various Cherry mx switches to have new stated characteristics, but I have not seen something like this for Alps switches.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3368 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 12:45:18 »
@E3E: Hot-swapping switches does not sound trivial at all. Did you custom-build the hot-swappable keyboard?

do you have recommendations on which type(s) of Alps, if any, could be converted closer to the sound and feel of SKCM blue Alps? I know there are various ways to mod Alps switches, including clipping tabs on a tactile leaf to convert it to a clicky switch, and swapping various components, including sliders and/or springs. Which mods can be done "in situ" without desoldering switches?

There are numerous posts on how to transform various Cherry mx switches to have new stated characteristics, but I have not seen something like this for Alps switches.
All alps mods can be done without desoldering, as long as you dont want to swap bottom housings or switch plates.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #3369 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 12:57:08 »
I was convinced to finally trade my Orion v2 with SKCM blues. No other clicky switch compares. You will be missed  :(

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3370 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 13:32:11 »
I was convinced to finally trade my Orion v2 with SKCM blues. No other clicky switch compares. You will be missed  :(
Amen.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #3371 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:10:50 »

Ouch. You weren't the one that got yours from Axtran were you? What did you end up trading for?

Well, I use holtite sockets which are available from digikey for the process. The mod is actually much easier for Cherry MX switches, but for Alps switches, it requires drilling out every switch position to widen it enough to be able to fit the holtite sockets which can accept Alps pins, which are larger than the Cherry MX versions. The pins on Alps are a bit wider and more robust compared to Cherry MX's contact pins.

It's tough work. Every instance I've done the mod has also come with a ton of troubleshooting and frustration. As long as you stick to it, you'll be fine. I can give some more advice if you're looking to do something like that yourself. I'd advise against doing it on vintage keyboard PCBs though.

Yeah, there are a lot of "ghetto" mods for Cherry MX switches. I'm honestly not sure what would come closest to Alps SKCM Blue in terms of sound, but the two tactile switches I feel are closest are Alps SKCM Orange and Alps SKCM Cream (not dampened). I feel like SKCM Orange is a bit lighter than SKCM Blue while SKCM Cream is a bit heavier, but Cream and Blue are listed as being the same weight on the data card from Alps.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #3372 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:20:29 »

Ouch. You weren't the one that got yours from Axtran were you? What did you end up trading for?

That'd be me. It's been replaced with a Leeku 1.3 with 55g Gateron blacks (his lube/solder job) and Hyperfuse (I kept the Orion case, just traded the internals). As much as I loved blues, I really missed the keyset customization of MX.

Offline emdude

« Reply #3373 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:24:06 »

That'd be me. It's been replaced with a Leeku 1.3 with 55g Gateron blacks (his lube/solder job) and Hyperfuse (I kept the Orion case, just traded the internals). As much as I loved blues, I really missed the keyset customization of MX.

Ah, one of Alps biggest weaknesses, unfortunately.  Alps giveth, and Alps taketh away.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #3374 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:25:24 »

Ah, one of Alps biggest weaknesses, unfortunately.  Alps giveth, and Alps taketh away.
100% yes. It went to a friend who had been after it for awhile, so at least it's in good hands. :)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3375 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:11:44 »
If I've assimilated the information correctly, it would appear that there might be a couple of options for producing a "ghetto blue Alps" switch.

Namely, as summarized by E3E, do a "click mod" on the tactile leaf of either an orange Alps or an undamped cream/ivory Alps. The result might be getting somewhat close to the sound/feel of blue Alps, but the modded orange would be lighter and the modded cream/ivory would be heavier.

BTW, there are at least two methods recommended for the click mod. Chyros favors clipping all 4 tabs,

https://deskthority.net/review-f45/how-to-click-mod-alps-switches-t14099.html

whereas njbair suggests clipping only the top two -- the tabs near the apex of the triangular cross-section formed by the two planes of the leaf.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79539.0

However, as Chyros has pointed out, there were a number of subtle changes made by Alps in the development of the blue switch from its predecessors. Moreover, the sound and feel of any Alps switch is dependent not only on the internal characteristics of the switch (which might include some elusive lubricant as well as various hardware components of the switch), but also the properties of the keyboard in which the switches are installed.

Therefore, we cannot expect to find a simple path for transforming a non-blue Alps into a blue Alps. I suspect that discovering the secret(s) of what makes blue Alps sound and feel as they do will prove to be nearly as problematic as determining what makes a Stradivarius violin sound the way it does (which also depends on having the violin played by an excellent violinist).

Nevertheless, there may be some relatively straightforward modifications of "lesser" switches that will prove close enough for those who prefer not to wait for a genuine blue Alps board to turn up at an affordable price. Moreover, many of us get along quite nicely without blue Alps switches!
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:44:31 by Hypersphere »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3376 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:30:09 »
If I've assimilated the information correctly, it would appear that there might be a couple of options for producing a "ghetto blue Alps" switch.

Namely, as summarized by E3E, do a "click mod" on the tactile leaf of either an orange Alps or an undamped cream/ivory Alps. The result might be getting somewhat close to the sound/feel of blue Alps, but the modded orange would be lighter and the modded cream/ivory would be heavier.

BTW, there are at least two methods recommended for the click mod. Chyros favors clipping all 4 tabs,

https://deskthority.net/review-f45/how-to-click-mod-alps-switches-t14099.html

whereas njbair suggests clipping only the top two -- the tabs near the apex of the triangular cross-section formed by the two planes of the leaf.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79539.0

However, as Chyros has pointed out, there were a number of subtle changes made by Alps in the development of the blue switch from its predecessors. Moreover, the sound and feel of any Alps switch is dependent not only on the internal characteristics of the switch (which might include some elusive lubricant as well as various hardware components of the switch), but also the properties of the keyboard in which the switches are installed.

Therefore, we cannot expect to find a simple path for transforming a non-blue Alps into a blue Alps. I suspect that discovering the secret(s) of what makes blue Alps sound and feel as they do will prove to be nearly as problematic as determining what makes a Stradivarius violin sound the way it does (which also depends on having the violin played by an excellent violinist).

Nevertheless, there may be some relatively straightforward modifications of "lesser" switches that will prove close enough for those who prefer not to wait for a genuine blue Alps board to turn up at an affordable price. Moreover, many of us get along quite nicely without blue Alps switches!
skcl green with white tops and click leaves feels pretty nice, but not the same as blues. Wingpad compared them to capacitive BS when he tried them when we met up.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3377 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 19:30:41 »
skcl green with white tops and click leaves feels pretty nice, but not the same as blues. Wingpad compared them to capacitive BS when he tried them when we met up.
I said that because they are so pingy and really smooth, I'm pretty convinced that they have to be ridiculously clean to get that particular key feel/sound. My modded greens weren't nearly that nice and I think it's because they've sucked up their fair share of dust over the years.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3378 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 19:32:51 »

Throughout my numerous experiments I have made a few "ghetto" switches that are close to blues but it's not consistent. I'll make five out of the same parts and only one will have the right sound.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #3379 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:08:25 »
My NeXT keyboard arrived today, not quite what the switches I was expecting, did I order the wrong one? The back says its an AAE...

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3380 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:19:52 »
My NeXT keyboard arrived today, not quite what the switches I was expecting, did I order the wrong one? The back says its an AAE...
Welcome to my situation, haha. It's just the name of the game, unfortunately :(

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #3381 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:41:15 »
Welcome to my situation, haha. It's just the name of the game, unfortunately :(

I messaged the seller several times to confirm and in the listing picture it showed ivory switches. Seems like he just didn't know. Upon rereading the DT Wiki I now see it says some NeXT Non-ADB (AAE, non L enter). Oh well  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Classifieds Thread

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3382 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:53:12 »
I said that because they are so pingy and really smooth, I'm pretty convinced that they have to be ridiculously clean to get that particular key feel/sound. My modded greens weren't nearly that nice and I think it's because they've sucked up their fair share of dust over the years.
did you try to mod the greens from that wyse board? the case is pretty filthy, so I cant inagine the switches were too good.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3383 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:57:36 »
did you try to mod the greens from that wyse board? the case is pretty filthy, so I cant inagine the switches were too good.
I have tried modding those as well as some other greens I had but neither were sourced from particularly clean boards. If I ever find a clean green alps board I might be tempted to grab it to try modding 'em again.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3384 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 21:07:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:13:55 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3385 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:03:05 »
Show Image

No, no you didn't. That's really weird, have never seen that before. All small enter AAE's should have SKCM Cream. This is the first of its kind. Find out the date on the chip. I'd like to know when it was made. Both mine and E3E's are 89's. Must be super late production for small enter's.

Extremely unlucky i'm afraid. :(
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3386 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:04:10 »
Show Image

No, no you didn't. That's really weird, have never seen that before. All small enter AAE's should have SKCM Cream. This is the first of its kind. Find out the date on the chip. I'd like to know when it was made. Both mine and E3E's are 89's. Must be super late production for small enter's.

Extremely unlucky i'm afraid. :(

I have one just like this, AAE small enter with black pines. I'll pop it open at some point too.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3387 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:24:01 »
Damn I'm definitely going to have to pick up one of those NeXT boards because those white on black doubleshots are sexy as hell.

Offline emdude

« Reply #3388 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:30:28 »
Are these SKCM Creams all that different from Oranges or Salmons though?  Seems like it's just the weighting that's different.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3389 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:31:00 »
Damn I'm definitely going to have to pick up one of those NeXT boards because those white on black doubleshots are sexy as hell.

If you want one for just the caps I'll sell one of my SKCM Black ones to ya' :P After all, I bought 'em hoping they'd be Creams.

Anywhoozies, here are the pictures I took of it:

It is labeled AAE on the back.

Also, our favorite Taobao guy posted a rather interesting board recently:

Are these SKCM Greys or clones?

Offline emdude

« Reply #3390 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:34:07 »
Those grey switches appear to have the four tabs associated with clones.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3391 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:35:11 »
Those grey switches appear to have the four tabs associated with clones.
They also look like they have some sort of B logo, dunno; still a potentially interesting switch. Those caps also look rather thick.

EDIT: Looks to me like they are these.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:55:22 by Wingpad »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3392 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 00:42:51 »
I have an AAE NeXT board on it's way. I assume you both had it ordered on ebay from the same seller as me, based in Colorado? Damn, I was really looking forward to those creams.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3393 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 02:44:59 »

Just be aware that the mods are incompatible with conventional Alps plates. The orientation of the stabs (within the caps) and their inserts (on the plate) is inverted. Whereas traditional Alps are mounted like: ,  -  ,   NeXT's are ' - '

I know it's crude, but if you think about it, you'll get what I'm saying. :P

I've trashed six 5140.  and zero guilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's common enough.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 02:48:26 by E3E »

Offline emdude

« Reply #3394 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 02:48:08 »

Just be aware that the mods are incompatible with conventional Alps plates. They orientation of the stabs (within the caps) and their inserts (on the plate) is inverted. Whereas traditional Alps are mounted like: ,  -  ,   NeXT's are ' - '

I know it's crude, but if you think about it, you'll get what I'm saying. :P

Wow, they are just like the early M0116s w/ SKCM Oranges then.  Fohat made a point of it on DT today.

EDIT: An image illustrating what E3E was saying:

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 02:52:34 by emdude »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3395 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 03:48:40 »
It's common enough.

Seller of mine would disagree, as he was unwilling to send just the keyboard. And the machine doesn't have battery, power supply, and screen latches don't work >:D

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3396 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:50:47 »

If you want one for just the caps I'll sell one of my SKCM Black ones to ya' :P After all, I bought 'em hoping they'd be Creams.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Will keep youin mind, I wouldn't mind a full board of SKCM Black anyway, even if they're one of the more underwhelming.

And finding a few black Alps modifiers shouldn't be the hardest thing in the world is it?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3397 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:52:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Will keep youin mind, I wouldn't mind a full board of SKCM Black anyway, even if they're one of the more underwhelming.

And finding a few black Alps modifiers shouldn't be the hardest thing in the world is it?
just buy some blanks off of pmk, use the alphas from the NeXt.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3398 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 11:14:08 »
Trouble with PMK is their Alps selection is poor and the SP profiles don't match that of others. I've been getting my black or white blanks from Matias to use as modifiers. Their blank keycap sets also include 3 sizes of spacebars. You can buy separately sets of stabilizers including stabilzer clips and inserts. So far, Matias only has ABS, but they are nicely textured and aren't bad for use as modifiers. Nevertheless, I wish they would start selling PBT caps.

Offline emdude

« Reply #3399 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 11:15:37 »
Nevertheless, I wish they would start selling PBT caps.

Like the Unicomp Space Saving Keyboard, soon™.