Author Topic: Alternate layout via backlighting  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Lotsofgoats

Alternate layout via backlighting
« on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 18:09:47 »
Has anybody ever backlit a keyboard for the purpose of displaying two different keysets? I switch to Colemak every once in a while with an AHK script that runs off of Scroll Lock, and I figured it would be a cool idea to switch to a different layout on the keys themselves via backlighting (e.g. one printed on the key, one somehow activated when backlit). I dislike the look double-printed keys as well as those goofy stickers.

I have to figure that somebody more technical and more imaginative than me could find a way to get something like this to work. Mostly just spit-balling here.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 18:11:40 »
It's easier to just switch the keyboard. And probably cheaper too.

Or, like always, learn to touch type.

Offline Lotsofgoats

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 18:15:41 »
I'm not terribly serious about this idea. I already touch type, so I'm not really concerned about getting any sort of functionality for myself.

I'm just kinda trying to file this under, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

Offline Squelos

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 19:13:35 »
Well, you would just need custom caps.
The problem being that you cant just change keys, because each row has a different height :/

But getting custom caps that can be backlight, I dunno :/

Offline Human

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 02:34:59 »
You will need:
Custom caps like the way Razer BW's "locks" indicator LED works, invisible(blank) when no light and visible when backlighted.

A keyboard with custom(individual) backlit. Ducky's Dragon year edition seems to be the closest we can find.