Author Topic: New Truly Ergonomic Firmware  (Read 7757 times)

Offline Tracer

New Truly Ergonomic Firmware
« on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 14:18:44 »
So TE sent me an advance link to the firmware they've released to the public here:
http://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=79_90

I have had problems on both the 209 and 109 when applying this firmware.

The international key on the top left is \ and the centre row delete key is now nothing (sends a weird scan code).
I've done the update on different computers and different versions of windows just to make sure. Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this screwup?

Offline Tracer

Re: New Truly Ergonomic Firmware
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 14:20:52 »
I enjoy how all the problems people are experiencing are not with the truly ergonomic keyboard but the OS developed by multi-billion dollar corporations.

Offline SilverRubicon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:47:11 »
I have a 209 that I upgraded with the 209 firmware.  On windows, I need to set the dip switch to 207 for the center delete key to work.  If it's set to 209, it does nothing.  I need to plug it into my macbook to see how it behaves under OSX.  I really like this keyboard but the center keys drive me nuts.  I've never grown comfortable with it.  For that reason I've moved on to a TypeMatrix.  I like the the TM layout, but sorely miss the mechanical keys and feel of the TeK.  Maybe this update will solve my issues.  Use the left spacebar as the delete key and eliminate one key from the center.

hmmm... the key in the upper left hand corner does not work as expected.  Here are the keys it prints...  \ |.  Same as the key below it.  If I set dip switch 4 to off, then the key doesn't work.  I assume this is a shortcoming/feature of Windows 8 and not a problem with the keyboard itself.

Well, the TEK is working much better under OSX.  All the keys work as they should as long as dip switch 1 is ON.  I can even remap my left space bar to the back space key if dip switch 3 is OFF.  For anyone interested, I used keyremap4macbook to remap my left space bar.  Here is my private.xml...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
   <item>
    <name>Left Space to Delete</name>
    <identifier>private.left_space_to_del</identifier>
    <autogen>--KeyToKey-- KeyCode::PC_APPLICATION, KeyCode::PC_BS</autogen>
  </item>
</root>

Everything is good for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:50:21 by SilverRubicon »

Offline Tracer

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 06:48:18 »
The scan code of the upper left international key is different from the key below it, so even though they both register as \, they can be ramped individually. The centre delete key does indeed work with Switch #1 to ON. This renders that switch useless.

At least my keyboards are working about right. The scan code sent by the right shift is very strange. It works, but to overwrite it , you need to enter a scan code manually, and not the one the keyboard sends. This might be an issue with the software I'm using.

Offline docomoz

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 09:26:17 »
Hm.. Is is possible to flash this new firmware under Parallels? I don't have PCs at home :(

Offline docomoz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 20:51:19 »
Hm.. Is is possible to flash this new firmware under Parallels? I don't have PCs at home :(

No luck, I'm getting the "DFU_Reset_to_ISP fail" message on Windows 8 under Parallels. It's sad.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 14:26:52 »
It would probably work fine with BootCamp. Parallels is a virtualization platform, where you'll always encounter issues interfacing with hardware.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 16:33:34 »
After getting my replacement 209, I was able to install the updated firmware (with the ctrl/shift swap), and it works perfectly. I needed to update the KeyTweak mapping for the left space bar, but that was expected. Only DIP switch 3 is set to OFF, but all the other keys work correctly.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 07:59:21 »
I enjoy how all the problems people are experiencing are not with the truly ergonomic keyboard but the OS developed by multi-billion dollar corporations.

Not true. I got one with a faulty backspace and control key. I've been trying to get them to acknowledge my existence for two weeks now (keyboard was an xmas gift) but no dice so far, and no approval for my RMA. If they don't get back to me before their 30-day window on returns for faulty merchandise, we'll have to contest the charge through the credit card company.

It's a shame; I really wanted to like the keyboard.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 07:56:05 »

Not true. I got one with a faulty backspace and control key. I've been trying to get them to acknowledge my existence for two weeks now (keyboard was an xmas gift) but no dice so far, and no approval for my RMA. If they don't get back to me before their 30-day window on returns for faulty merchandise, we'll have to contest the charge through the credit card company.

It's a shame; I really wanted to like the keyboard.

That's pretty terrible .. I'm so glad I gave up on them.  My original 109 is collecting dust and probably will remain doing so forever.  Their products had so much potential but they really fall flat on their face when it comes to service and actually finishing the things they promised their customers.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline sgtkabukiman

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 21:56:20 »
So yesterday I updated the firmware of my TE-209 and was happy to see that Mac OS X could recognize the left spacebar and that the NumLock toggle was working.

Then I saw the alternate firmware that switches the Shift and Ctrl/Cmd keys and thought I would prefer that.  I followed the instructions again, clicked update and saw the progress bar go to 100% only to get the "DFU_Reset_to_ISP fail" message.

I tried to update it again and then saw the same error message right away.  That's when I realized the keyboard wasn't working.  I thought it might have just been the PC until I connected it to the Mac and the keyboard still didn't work.

I suppose this is what they meant by:
Do not unplug your Truly Ergonomic Keyboard during the entire upgrade process as your keyboard can become unusable and beyond repair (Brick).

The only thing is I didn't unplug it and it seems to have bricked it anyway!   >:D

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anything I can do to revive it?

Offline addwyn

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 02:31:20 »
The only thing is I didn't unplug it and it seems to have bricked it anyway!   >:D
Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anything I can do to revive it?

I helped Tracer to unbrick his Truly-Ergonomic keyboard by providing some useful information in the "Truly-Ergonomic’s keycodes remapping" topic. Maybe this will help you too...

In the same topic, Azteca explain how to open the Truly Ergonomic keyboard
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 12:52:58 by addwyn »

Offline sgtkabukiman

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:46:34 »
I helped Tracer to unbrick his Truly-Ergonomic keyboard by providing some useful information in the "Truly-Ergonomic’s keycodes remapping" topic. Maybe this will help you too...

In the same topic, Azteca explain how to open the Truly Ergonomic keyboard

Thanks, addwyn!  I'm hesitant to open the TE because I'm concerned it will void the warranty.  As my TE-209 is still within the 60-day return period it's likely i'll just be returning it.