Author Topic: NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Heavy Switches (Orange == Halo True??)  (Read 5955 times)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Heavy Switches (Orange == Halo True??)
« on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:14:34 »
I just got my order of Box Heavy switches from NovelKeys, and I have to say I'm very excited for some of my kits to show up so I can put them in something. What is surprising to me is that it is the orange switch I'm most impressed with. I ordered the blues cause I really liked the box whites, but they seemed too light, and the blues are just that.

I plan to build both Zealiostotle and Box Blue boards, though I expect I will like them both for very different reasons. The Box Whites and Blues have the sharpest click of any switch I've tried. It actually sounds more like a mouse button TBH. That's because there is nothing actually physically clicking on the slider in these switches, instead there is a second spring in there that is being lifted and dropped on a small plastic peg. That means they are a bit less tactile (to be clear I mean there is less actual force/movement or w/e) and the slider movement is much more linear, but the click is much more sharp, I'm not really even sure how to explain it, think Tick instead of Thock.

Also the clicky box switches click in both directions, which I feel like potentially makes them one of the fastest switches around (legitimately). Now hear me out... Believe it or not, our brains process sound something like an order of magnitude faster than touch (0.05s vs 0.2s response). I feel like I can toggle the key much more consistently and without bottoming out compared to a normal clicky switch. If nothing else I think it likely makes the perfect clicky spacebar switch since with the upclick feedback you can much more easily avoid missed doublekeys.

Anyway, enough about boring clicky switches, the one I'm most impressed by (and will likely be ordering more of) is the Burnt Orange Box Heavy switch. I have a sneaking suspicion that this switch must share some degree of DNA with Halo True switches. I could be totally off base, but the way it feels is exactly how the Halo True has been described. Sharp bump at the VERY top (I'd say less than .5mm of movement, maybe half that) then smooth and linear as it gains weight till bottom out. I can totally see how it could be compared to a rubber dome (disclaimer, I have not typed on a topre in a LONG LONG time) as it much more of a buckling sensation than a bump (my normal keyboards are Mod-M and 67g Zealios).

I still need one of my kits to show up so I can put them into something and try them out for real, but I expect I will be buying more in short order, it's a very unique sensation. I will also have to open a few up and lube them see what that does, they are already very smooth though. I'll try and remember to follow up :D.

Anyway, I'm curious what other people who got them think. If you were at all interested in Halo True switches and don't wanna wait, you may wanna try these as well. I got mine through the preorder, but it looks like he's selling 10 packs for $3 a pop.

Thoughts?

Offline cynviloq

Re: NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Heavy Switches (Orange == Halo True??)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 03:05:20 »
Probably more the brown than the orange... either way they're pretty different as far as tactile goes, but yes they have similar tactile curves because they are, well, tactile switches made by the same company...

The Orange has a tactile peak force of 70g (60g operating) versus the Brown tpf of 60g (50g operating) - the tpf of the Halo True is 60g, so the Brown would be closer. The BOX have travel of 4mm versus Halo True 3.6mm and also the box design contributes to a different feeling than the open traditional stem of the HT.

Your bands on operating force are 15-20% lower than the Orange and the release seems to be quite different.

https://www.novelkeys.xyz/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DbROia6-516x400.png

https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/halo-true/

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 09:25:58 »
Thoughts on Yellow?

Offline ___q

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 09:49:10 »
Thoughts on Yellow?

The yellows are very nice linears in my opinion, smooth, extremely little wobble.  Just depends if the weighting is what you are looking for -- high ~40g preload, ~70g actuation, a little above 80g bottom out.

In general all of the box switches seem to be pretty well done.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 13:51:11 »
I also recently got the Kailh heavies in box yellow, box blue, yellow, and blue.

I like the linears (yellow).  The box yellow feel very nice.  The box yellow feel ever so slightly lighter to me.  I don't notice the box design changes anything with wobbling.  Both seem to wobble about like an MX design.

I also like the blue, but I have to say the sound of the box blue is not to my liking.  Too chirpy.  The regular ones (heavy blue speed) have a nicer, deeper click IMO.

Overall, the heavy springs are just a bit too stiff for me.  I prefer to type on blacks.  I also like Pandas, but they are at the top edge of my preference for heaviness.  These feel much heavier to me.