Author Topic: What is the best wrist rest for an IBM Model M  (Read 17475 times)

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
What is the best wrist rest for an IBM Model M
« on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 15:36:40 »
Since I bought my IBM model M, I admit I am hooked to this thing! I love so much typing on it that I can even go as far as to say that it slightly increased my productivity.

That being said I see that I do get tired faster on the model M, I guess due to the fact that the keys need a bit more force that the Cherry MX Brown that I used to use, which I do not like anymore, and from the Outemu MX blue clones that I also used for almost 9 months at work and I can also feel my wrists a bit more strained.

From experience what is the best wrist wrest to use with an IBM Model M?

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: What is the best wrist rest for an IBM Model M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 15:48:28 »
That might be because the keyboard is taller, ideally you should not have to bend your wrist upwards to use a keyboard.
If you have the option to do so try lowering your desk, if you can't try raising your chair.

You can find some more info here.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 16:41:29 »
I don't like foam wrist-rests so I designed my own Wood wrist-rests for the keyboards I use, that way I can make the corners as rounded, as tall, short, wide or deep as I want.

I've had pretty good results and highly recommend you make your own  ;D

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:34:18 »
I actually always use the rear legs to raise the M and then typically have no wrist rest in front of the M.  But I also have 1 foot in front of the M where my arms can lay on the table up to my elbows.  My wrist is barely bent.  And in this state, I can usually use the M for 12-14hrs before serious fatigue.

Also though, if you are finding that the blues and the M are a bit too fatiguing, then you may need to find another switch similar to the brown or risk rsi over time.

Offline Telstar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 10:50:48 »
None.
I used my model M without any wrist rest, due to size and my posture (arms NOT higher than spacebar). No back raised either, it has the perfect slope already.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 10:08:42 »
That might be because the keyboard is taller, ideally you should not have to bend your wrist upwards to use a keyboard.
If you have the option to do so try lowering your desk, if you can't try raising your chair.

You can find some more info here.
I do not like bending my wrists upwards. However, some people are comfortable with it. I prefer a flat profile and tend to hover over the keys.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 10:12:24 »
Don't worry, i feel your pain! It's not because of the heavy switches, but rather it's upward position as many said before. When putting the kickstands up, they are made for non-blind typers who do not necessarily know how to touch type. However, this causes a new problem which is fatigue. I find i get strain when keyboards are made that way. I do not like keyboard feet and wish they'd never exist.
I hate putting up keyboard feet because it's an angle that is just not ergonomic, and comfortable for me.

Offline RSanders

• DataHand Pro II > Maltron > Kinesis > Flat Boards
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 09:36:51 »
Speaking from the perspective of a part-time Model M user, a wrist rest, at least for me, does not work well at all, especially if used by itself without good forearm/elbow support. A wrist rest, either built in, provided by the manufacturer, or after market, can also lead to bad habits and increased risk of RSI. Ideally the top surface of your hands should be perfectly in line with the top surface of your forearms, i.e. little to no wrist bend vertically, especially tilting the hand up at the wrist.  I personally use two Ergo-Rest forearm supports, one mounted on either side of the desk with the keyboard mounted in them middle.  When taking the periodic breaks from typing that occur during any sort of work, I either gently rest my hands on the keyboard with some of the weight supported by my hands with the majority supported by the Ergo-Rests.  Longer periods of not typing and I will pull my arms away from the desk (Ergo-Rest follows the arms) and let my hands hang loose and free with all the weight supported by the Ergo-Rest.  Alternatively, the keyboard can be placed on your lap, and assuming your chair is set up correctly, no wrist support should be required as the chair arms should be at the correct height to support the forearms comparable to the Ergo-Rests for the desktop with rest periods handled more or less the same.

In the image above, the Ergo-Rests are the black curved pads.  They are mounted with very smooth pivot points directly under the pads, at the midpoint of the height-adjustable arms, and at the mounting bracket connected to the desk.  This allows them to follow and support your arms in a single plane through pretty much the entire range needed for keyboard/trackball/mouse work. They are adjusted so my wrists are as flat as possible when the hands are placed in correct position for typing.   I do not use them when typing on the pictured DataHand as the chair arms perform the same function as the Ergo-Rest as is the case when I put a more traditional keyboard such as the Model M on my lap.

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 23:17:44 »
Honestly designing your own out of wood is super easy! The medium is quite forgiving and you'll be able to do really cool things that you'll appreciate! Plus you have the satisfaction that you made it!!

Offline hactar

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:26:50 »
I use a cloth-covered foam thing from Amazon, something like this.  Because I type with one hand, there's more-frequent left-right motion than with two.  So the pad needs to tolerate abrasion.  I was given this nice gel one.  Felt great, looked cool, but it got frictiony under abrasion.  I had to stop using it.
Code: [Select]
  pfmlj
qbyurso
kcdtheaz
xgvwni 

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 15:47:40 »
Try making your own.  Use some 0lastic for the bottom, and then put some layers of foam and a cloth top. You can wash the cloth if you make it removeable.
qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord