Author Topic: What are your thoughts on artisan keycaps for high-traffic keys?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was recently looking at a GB for an artisan spacebar made of resin and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the durability of such a key.  I'm also curious if using a key like this might also negatively impact the overall typing experience since the "feel" is inconsistent with the rest of the keys.  Has anyone here used an artisan spacebar, or other high-traffic key, over a long period? 

For reference, the one I was looking at is here:  https://keysekai.com/shop/machinery/steampunk-space-bar/

Offline BobCarltheThird

Re: What are your thoughts on artisan keycaps for high-traffic keys?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 12:30:09 »
I was recently looking at a GB for an artisan spacebar made of resin and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the durability of such a key.  I'm also curious if using a key like this might also negatively impact the overall typing experience since the "feel" is inconsistent with the rest of the keys.  Has anyone here used an artisan spacebar, or other high-traffic key, over a long period? 

For reference, the one I was looking at is here:  https://keysekai.com/shop/machinery/steampunk-space-bar/
I used an Idea23 spacebar with one of my SA sets and didn't mind it. The regular keys were already glossy so I didn't notice any difference and durability as always depends on the quality of the casting.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:46:38 »
Wow, wonder if Glovecaps knows about this. They look a lot like the caps he's been making for a while now.

I think with the resin you won't get much wear, it will probably just shine.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 16:12:49 »
Wow, wonder if Glovecaps knows about this. They look a lot like the caps he's been making for a while now.

I think with the resin you won't get much wear, it will probably just shine.

I am not sure you can really compare the two.. one looks like a prototype the other a polished and finished project.... Personally I think some "artisan's" are artisan's in name only.. not really design. Hope that makes since and I know its not a popular opinion

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 16:36:04 »
Could you share a link to Glovecaps’ work?

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 16:47:51 »

Here you go and if we go by the fact the Reddit sale is only 1 month old and this is the other group's second buy! I would say it was glovecaps who copied if anyone. Though like said one looks like a prototype the other a finished product. I think people are just far far to ... I don't know about artisan's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7xm15i/artisan_glove_caps_debut_sale_sa_iso_keycaps/

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:25:43 »
Consistency is something I really look for in typing. If a switch is scratchier than another I wont use it in a build. That being said, Id never put an artisan on a key I use often. When I put artisans on my boards, which isn't often to begin with, I put them on escape. 

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:38:55 »

Here you go and if we go by the fact the Reddit sale is only 1 month old and this is the other group's second buy! I would say it was glovecaps who copied if anyone. Though like said one looks like a prototype the other a finished product. I think people are just far far to ... I don't know about artisan's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7xm15i/artisan_glove_caps_debut_sale_sa_iso_keycaps/

I wasn't aware that was the second round of group buys. I just met glove in February so his work sticks in my mind.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:45:53 »
 I've been keeping an artisan cap on my escape key. I like it so I'm gonna use it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:52:53 »
I highly prefer artisans that are still "keycap shaped" because I do use them, so yea. bbv2s n clacks for days
I love Elzy

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 18:08:23 »

I wasn't aware that was the second round of group buys. I just met glove in February so his work sticks in my mind.

Yea no worries ^_^ I think the first group buy was sometime last year. I want to say around octoberish maybe?

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 18:10:25 »
I highly prefer artisans that are still "keycap shaped" because I do use them, so yea. bbv2s n clacks for days

Sculpts aren't keycap shaped though...
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:18:12 »
I usually stick to a single artisan on my esc on my primary board that I swap out from time to time. The resin spacebar will most certainly feel heavier than a non artisan counterpart, so it may just be up to your personal preference and the feel you get after a while. It'd probably feel fine.