Author Topic: "LayerCake39" A New 40% Design I Came Up With  (Read 2919 times)

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
"LayerCake39" A New 40% Design I Came Up With
« on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 19:35:56 »
My keyboard obsession has grown and I have decided I want to build my own board. I went with a 40% design for it's portability as I will be taking the board to classes with me. I wanted the QWERTY layout and standard staggering to stay untouched, so I add two layers for all the other functions. Whether a function is on the top or bottom layer depends both on the amount of use it receives as well as what side of the board it's on, to make the most used functions easily accessible through standard touch typing form.

I present to you my 40% design(LayerCake39)

Feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: fixed staggering and layer placement for some things
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:42:51 by ironpup »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: A New 40% Design I Came Up With
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:23:01 »
Layout looks good. There should be JD40 kits for sale on [CTRL]ALT soon, when their store comes back online.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:03:20 »
Looks good but you have slight deviated from "standard" stagger if that bothers you - the bottom row should be half a key.

The only thing that would frustrate me for a while is -_ switching to the other side of the board as I use it a lot.  And maybe \| being right in the middle.  And no one-hand ctrl-alt-delete or "Windows" key for quick screen locking?  40% is always going to have compromises :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:15:53 »
Looks good but you have slight deviated from "standard" stagger if that bothers you - the bottom row should be half a key.

The only thing that would frustrate me for a while is -_ switching to the other side of the board as I use it a lot.  And maybe \| being right in the middle.  And no one-hand ctrl-alt-delete or "Windows" key for quick screen locking?  40% is always going to have compromises :)
Okay thanks, I fixed the stagger, and switched Del and -_, and as for \| I put in under ,< and move the brackets over and the `~ up.  I'm a long time mac user so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the command key act as the windows/ctrlaltdel key on windows?

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:40:11 by ironpup »

Offline yehoshuaf

Re: "LayerCake39" A New 40% Design I Came Up With
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 10:11:32 »
May be easier to just get a jd40. Personally I couldn't hand the lack of columns on the right hand so I made a 40%ish layout like

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/5665ed38ac6f85bca419a7021328ccd3

(Titles on the buttons are wrong)

Extra thumb button is nice for modifying since you'll be doing it all day. It wo egg ked out pretty well.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 10:25:44 »

Okay thanks, I fixed the stagger, and switched Del and -_, and as for \| I put in under ,< and move the brackets over and the `~ up.  I'm a long time mac user so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the command key act as the windows/ctrlaltdel key on windows?
Non Mac user here, I thought CMD was the right click menu key but I'm happy to be wrong!

Now you've put Delete on the wrong side so I'll complain about that, and =+ is randomly in the middle too - I don't think it's possible to design a 40% I won't have problems with so I wouldn't bother trying, it's you that will have to use it so whichever keys you use need to be find-able by you :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: "LayerCake39" A New 40% Design I Came Up With
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 10:27:27 »
the spacebar is labeled 6.26 instead of 6.25