Author Topic: 3d printed silencing pads for SP SA and DSA profile keys  (Read 3067 times)

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
3d printed silencing pads for SP SA and DSA profile keys
« on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 11:49:59 »
I've 3d printed a bunch of silencing pads for my SA profile keys.
They're 0.9mm thick and made from Ninjatek Semi-flex (Shore Hardness = 98A).

I've tested them on both DSA and SA R3 profile keys
The difference is remarkable, and you can double them up for almost complete silence.
I wish I had some Ninjaflex to test with (Shore Hardness = 85A) as I expect the results will be even better.
If anyone is willing to test please let me know how it works out.

The design is super simple - a 14.5mm * 14.5mm * 0.9mm cube with a 5.5mm hole in the middle.
I then set the slicer (S3D) to:
 - single perimeter
 - 0.15mm layers
 - 0 top or bottom layers
 - 50% grid infill

I've published the STL file to my repo:
https://github.com/MajorKoos/KBDParts/tree/master/Keycaps/Silencers

Offline kolec94

Re: 3d printed silencing pads for SP SA and DSA profile keys
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 12:51:13 »
this is interesting i would i never though of 3d printing a silencer (i think 3d printing i think abs or pla) is their any advantage over a foam by using ninja flex?

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 13:05:25 »
I think the principal would remain the same regardless of what one uses.
It just needs to be rigid enough to stay put. 
I think a square of stiff felt with a hole punched in the center would do the same job.

As for the filaments, they're used for printing shock absorbers and tires for RC cars, so pretty much ideal for the task at hand.
The nice thing about using a 3d printer is I can control the density of the infill to achieve different levels of shock absorption for a specific thickness.
Having holes in the silencer also helps let some light through if you're using LEDs.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 September 2016, 13:20:44 by MajorKoos »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 12:39:38 »
I thought 98A was very hard (red/blue WASD o-rings were 40A/50A), unless I've missed something. It should make the travel shorter anyway, which might be the primary selling point for some people, though.

Regardless, it's an interesting idea and it might be possible to print out something like Hypersphere's dampeners, that deal with the upstroke.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 12:51:54 »
I agree on the hardness - 98A is rather hard.
If I'd printed it solid it would have been way too much, but as it is it's 1mm thick and 50% thin air.
Also, these get all the way into the corners whilst O-rings do not.
I think it's a combination of the two which is doing the trick.

I did some unscientific testing using some SP DSA caps with 3mm O-rings.
These sound just as quiet and there is a lot less reduction in key travel.

I could definitely print some of those Topre dampening rings (I did the EK silencing pad mod on mine a while back though).
I've already successfully printed washers/seals as thin as 0.1mm from semi-flex.
I'd love to find something similar which silences the upstroke on cherry switches, so any hints would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 September 2016, 14:20:49 by MajorKoos »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 14:20:48 »
The only upstroke silencing of MX switches—to my knowledge—is the Oobly's latex mod (i.e., a layer of latex milk in the switch cover)… then there are (or rather: will be) Uniqey's or ZealPC's replacement switch covers; QMX Clips are only for PCB mount though, and Zealencios have GB deadline in autumn… and then there's Cherry MX Silent with damping on the slider, but it has limited availability.

Offline wodan

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 15:42:26 »
What a great idea! Never tried the flexible filament and completely forgot about it.

The possibilities!
Wonder if you can print Topre dampening rings with this. Thickness of 0.2mm shouldn't be an issue - technically. I have never tried this filament, ordered some though :)

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 15:46:25 »
What a great idea! Never tried the flexible filament and completely forgot about it.

The possibilities!
Wonder if you can print Topre dampening rings with this. Thickness of 0.2mm shouldn't be an issue - technically. I have never tried this filament, ordered some though :)

Yeah, most printers print 0.1mm layers, so definitely possible.
Did you opt for the softer Ninjaflex?

Offline wodan

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 00:08:55 »
I could potentially go down to 0.03mm but I never tried that. I fear that my biggest problem will be getting those rings off the build plate.

Ordered some of the "fullflex" filament. Should be here tomorrow :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 05:29:28 »
I thought I'd replied to this thread - did something happen to the GH database?

Anyway, this is a great idea!  It's a wonder that no-one thought of it before.

Any plans for a GB?  Or at least a few small sales if people without suitable printers are interested?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 07:07:09 »
I thought I'd replied to this thread - did something happen to the GH database?

Anyway, this is a great idea!  It's a wonder that no-one thought of it before.

Any plans for a GB?  Or at least a few small sales if people without suitable printers are interested?

You did reply - I cross posed here as it's the better place to discuss this stuff.

I was thinking about the GB thing yesterday as well and wondering if anyone would be interested.
I should probably stick up some before and after recordings to showcase the things first.