Author Topic: ErgoDock for your ErgoDox  (Read 56252 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
ErgoDock for your ErgoDox
« on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 12:50:06 »
Several months ago, Glod and I collaborated on a design for a simple to build solution to the tenting and palm rest dilemma for the ErgoDox. I sent the rough blank to Glod and he did a great job finishing it. He has been happy with the design.   
http://almightyglod.com/ErgoDock_Rev1/Almost_Done/DSC_0494.jpg
Since then, several have voiced an interest in having something similar. I would like to offer to make a limited number of these for a minimum $25 contribution to geekhack.

I have a good supply of oak, maple and alder. I have a small amount of cherry, teak and mahogany also.  If you wanted to paint the wood, I would recommend maple because of it's hardness and closed grain. If there's more demand than my limited stock can supply a more generous contribution to GH may be necessary.

If you know the tenting angle, I can size the standoff appropriately.  I think Glod's was about 13ş

You will have to do the finish sanding and finishing.Your ErgoDox can be double sided taped or velcro'd in place. I can provide rubber bumpers for the feet.

I can post instructions for constructing your own if your interested, but the design doesn't require much explanation.

PM me if you're interested.

It would be fun to see pictures of your finished product on this thread.

« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2013, 16:16:31 by kurplop »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: ErgoDock for your ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 12:53:46 »
Nice...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Larken

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:07:41 »
very wonderful gesture, kurplop. definitely need to see more of those beauties out there.

hope you don't mind, I've posted a link to this thread in the main ergodox thread.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:08:10 »
Cool

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:13:11 »
Oh man, I'm gonna have to give this a serious think.

Not sure if I'll be able to finish it properly myself though, so that's definitely something to consider :/

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:20:04 »
Great work Kirplop  :thumb:

I loved the design, I went and used my own tenting method for a full hand, had this been available, it would have been a no brainer.

Anyone looking for tenting on their ErgoDox, get a classic and this dock.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 16:22:13 »

hope you don't mind, I've posted a link to this thread in the main ergodox thread.

I'm glad you did. Thanks.

MOZ-  Thanks. Your ability to construct an ErgoDox from scratch is impressive, as is your ability to accumulate over 1000 posts in 3 months.

Good to have you here.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 16:26:24 »

MOZ-  Thanks. Your ability to construct an ErgoDox from scratch is impressive, as is your ability to accumulate over 1000 posts in 3 months.

Good to have you here.

And you've got 420. Great.

I agree though. Manufacturing a keyboard from scratch takes some serious skill.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 16:27:16 »

Good to have you here.

Hahahaa, I would swap my abilities for your woodworking anyday kind sir.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 05:06:11 »
Last chance to order Wednesday Sept 15th. 

I will post wood samples by Monday, as well as final instructions for ordering. I hope to send them out by early the following week.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 06:40:42 »
Interested, so is today the last day?
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline kurplop

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 07:12:55 »
I'm making 10 sets and 7 have already been reserved. Earliest orders will get first pick of wood choice. I'd recommend committing soon if you're interested

Offline hoggy

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:21:15 »
Interested. I've got a full hand ed, but this looks so good I'll look out for a classic as well.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 16:27:31 »
I don't know how you guys do it. But that makes it that much more mystical to me.

Those are beautiful.  :thumb:

Offline kurplop

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 16:43:39 »
The good news is that we got a quite a bit of interest in the Ergodock. The bad news is that I'm going to have to stop taking orders for now. I just don't have time now to make more than the 14 pairs already requested.

If you are interested in a later run, feel free to PM me. I may be able to find time later to make more.

I'm excited to be able to contribute to the Forum in this way and hope many of you will be able to contribute beyond the minimum $25.00 donation suggested. I'm also looking forward to see pictures of finished Ergodocks with your ErgoDox's nestled in then on your desks. By tomorrow I will have PM'd you confirming  your orders and will have instructions and pictures of wood options on this thread.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 17:05:21 »
Yay!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 17:16:36 »
I sent you a pm kurplop, no reply. Not sure if in or not.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 21:13:14 »
This is your chance to choose the wood type for your Ergodock. I would suggest making a first and second choice in case I exhaust my supply of any one variety. I will show preference based on earliest initial show of interest. I will also confirm change with you if your first choice isn't available. Some have asked about other woods. If you would like to send me a wood type of your choice I can likely use it for your Ergodock.

Here are some of the wood samples to choose from. Keep in mind I just applied a quick coat of oil to give you an idea of the finished color. The wood is rough and doesn't have enough build to display its true beauty. Also a water borne finish, if you desire to use that, will have no amber tint as  the oil. It will still enhance the wood color.
35596-0
From left to right is genuine mahogany, walnut, cherry(bottom right) and birds-eye maple. A little about each:
Mahogany- a bit redder than walnut, moderate hardness, very deep light penetration.
Walnut- rich brown color, moderate hardness.
Cherry- just slightly softer than above woods, more photosensitive than many woods so it darkens naturally with time.
Maple- Harder than above woods, the birds-eye pattern can be highly reflective in the light.

I also have birch, oak, and maple available.
Birch is a bit harder than walnut and slightly darker than maple, Glods dock was made of maple stained walnut.
Maple is very hard and closed grained so it is easy to finish or paint, a good choice if you want an unstained light wood or painted finish. It is easy to put a glass like paint job on it.
Oak is a great wood that has unfortunately suffered from over exposure in the 80's and 90's. A good choice if you are matching oak furniture, it can be easily and predictably stained.

I recommend choosing wood based on other furnishing at your work/play station.

Remember, you will receive your dock unfinished. It will require a small amount of sanding and a finish. If you're new to that don't worry, it's easy and I'm here to help.
35594-1

As you can see I began cutting the bottoms of your units and am excited to get them out to you.
I will make a few assumptions unless you tell me otherwise.
- I will drill out the bottoms so your bolts should clear but I won't drill completely through the 1/4" plywood. If your screws protrude more than 3/16" let me know and I'll drill completely through.

- I will tent the Ergodock to 13ş. You  can change the angle by moving leg toward or away from side. If you think you would want something more than 18ş, let me know so I can make longer legs.

I make Glod's dock about 3/16" higher than the top surface of his ErgoDox. If you want yours different let me know.

Donation and order

You can easily donate to Geekhackers by clicking donate at top of page and donate via paypal. When you do, get a confirmation # so I can verify donation. 100% will go to geek hack so feel free to be as generous as you wish. I ask a $25 minimum donation. If your from outside continental US check with me before donating because of extra shipping costs. It would be a lot easier for me to just give directly to GH but I am really looking forward to seeing pictures
of all of your ErgoDoxes riding on your own unique Ergodock. I think you will like them.

PM me to confirm order and select wood and other options. Of course I'll need your mailing address as well. I hope to have them done in a week but be patient if it is a bit longer, I have to work too.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 September 2013, 21:20:02 by kurplop »

Offline kurplop

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 05:37:37 »
If anyone has a suggestion as to my best shipping options I would welcome it.

The ergodock will be adequately packed and should survive most shipping conditions. It probably should be trackable but depends on cost. I don't mind paying but don't want to throw away money needlessly.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 10:24:58 »
The Ergodocks are about 75% complete. I think they should be done mid-week but I may have to wait about a week for the shipping packages to arrive.

36420-0
Thought you might like an action shot of the process.

Offline germy

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 10:30:20 »
Woah. Clamp galore!!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 12:11:39 »
Nice woodshop.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 12:29:36 »
The Ergodocks are about 75% complete. I think they should be done mid-week but I may have to wait about a week for the shipping packages to arrive.

(Attachment Link)
Thought you might like an action shot of the process.

That is some shop!

Offline kurplop

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:09:50 »

Offline thadood

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:53:40 »
Damn, I totally missed out on this. Curse you, wallethack.

If anyone doesn't want theirs, I'll buy! (Damnit, again, wallethack.)

Offline germy

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:09:49 »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 20:09:40 »
Also missed this! I'd certainly be in for one if there's another round and I'll send a PM to you to that effect.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 08:27:25 »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 11:20:03 »
Woah. Clamp galore!!

You don't know the half of it.http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJzR7FK

I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark here... do you...possibly...like clamps?

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:54:27 »
All this talk of clamps made me think of Clamps the robot from Futurama.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:52:08 »
<3 that show

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:55:29 »
Kurplop, STOP DOING SO MANY AWESOME THINGS. My head can't handle that you have so many cool projects going. Seriously. :P

Offline kurplop

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:20:19 »
I thought you might like a visual progress report. The bulk of the work is done, just a lot of details now.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJWgZdu

I'm delighted to see that all participants contributed more than the minimum required. Being the most generous contributor, I wanted to do something special to Hoggy's ErgoDock. His first choice was walnut and maple second. I had some highly figured fiddleback maple I was saving for a special occasion so I inlayed his walnut unit with it.
 37306-0
I hope you don't mind that I finished it. I couldn't wait to see it in its full glory

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:26:53 »
Awesome work. Looks fantastic.

John

Offline Larken

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:37:39 »
I was actually slack-jawed for a moment there. That particular ergodock is really a one-of-a-kind beauty. The inset patterning was a really nice touch.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline hoggy

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:24:47 »
Looks amazing!  I love it.

Thank you.

Guess I better get on with grabbing a classic ergodox...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kurplop

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 19:44:47 »
My thanks to all of you for your patience. It's taking a lot longer to get these things out the door than I would have imagined. I lost a key employee recently and my workload increased as a result. They just need the legs fitted and a final check and they should be ready to send out.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:15:19 »
My thanks to all of you for your patience. It's taking a lot longer to get these things out the door than I would have imagined. I lost a key employee recently and my workload increased as a result. They just need the legs fitted and a final check and they should be ready to send out.

In my opinion, no rush.  Your efforts are much appreciated.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:54:51 »
I thought you might like a visual progress report. The bulk of the work is done, just a lot of details now.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJWgZdu

I'm delighted to see that all participants contributed more than the minimum required. Being the most generous contributor, I wanted to do something special to Hoggy's ErgoDock. His first choice was walnut and maple second. I had some highly figured fiddleback maple I was saving for a special occasion so I inlayed his walnut unit with it.
  (Attachment Link)
I hope you don't mind that I finished it. I couldn't wait to see it in its full glory

I should have never checked in this topic, my first-timer stain and varnish job on my ErgoDock-Beta looks like garbage compared to that.  Ok maybe not garbage, i mean the whole Ergodox/ErgoDock combo is still impressive. :)

It just doesn't look like perfection like that one.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 17:49:02 »
I forgot that today is Columbus Day here in the US. So I was surprised to find the Post Office closed. Oh well, the ready to ship ErgoDocks will have to wait another day on the dining room table. Barring any other obstacles, they will be in the mail tomorrow and you should all receive yours within a week. Because of packaging requirements, I removed some of the legs on a few of your units. I will post instructions in the next few days.

I hope you enjoy your ErgoDock as much as I will enjoy shipping them out. ;D

39011-0

Thanks Glod for the complement. Yours still looks great, as does your new satin black full case unit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 17:50:50 by kurplop »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:51:32 »

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 02:16:18 »
?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 04:59:37 »
?

Maybe something is lost in translation.

Offline ijprest

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:31:25 »
I suspect it's a reference to this statement:

I hope you enjoy your ErgoDock as much as I will enjoy shipping them out. ;D

It's an odd sort of person who enjoys shipping stuff.  :p

Looking forward to my ErgoDock... guess I'd better hit up Home Depot for stain & some brushes.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 20:00:00 »
I have a few suggestions for those of you who will be receiving your ErgoDock soon.

Check the contents of the package carefully. I should have included a sheet of 220 sandpaper, rubber bumper pads,  and some screws if I had to remove the legs to ship.

If your Dock had the legs removed, use a #1 phillips driver to attach the #4 screws. I included some 1/2" and 5/8" screws, try the 1/2" first, if they don't tighten up the legs sufficiently use the 5/8". The legs were already attached so you shouldn't have any trouble with them.

If you want a steeper tenting angle, you could move the legs closer to the center of each half or make longer legs.

They would likely benefit from some additional sanding. I got most of the scratches out but a quick once over would probably help. Remember to sand in the direction of the grain. A clear finish won't show most scratches but if you plan on staining make sure there are no cross grain scratches. They will show.

To secure your Dox to the Dock you might try velcro or double sided tape. If the palm rest is too high relative to the keyboard a thicker pad may be necessary.

I certainly don't claim to be an authority on wood finishing but feel free to contact me with any questions.

I hope your Dock arrives safe, soon and that you enjoy it.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 20:00:32 »
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 07:07:39 »
Mine arrived today.  I forgot that it was even in the mail, so I get home, and I'm like "Crap, what did I order this time?"   But it's awesome,  Thanks.  Now I need to get my other Ergodox assembled!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 19:34:14 »
How were these shipped? Hope I didn't miss mine.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 19:38:27 »
It was shipped priority 2day. US orders should have arrived by now. If you don't receive it Monday I'll track it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 23:25:03 »
Got it! Looks absolutely phenomenal. The right hand side doesn't quite fit perfectly, as one of the recessed holes is slightly off center and the bolt head just barely doesn't fit. But that's fine. I'll take the ol' Dremel to it tomorrow.

These feel unfinished, what kind of stain/finish would you suggest? I don't want anything too dark, but something that would preferably bring out the natural mahogany color.

Absolutely amazing work kurplop. I'm humbled and honored to have such a great piece of art.