Author Topic: Help making a versatile plate cut  (Read 1748 times)

Offline yoippari

Help making a versatile plate cut
« on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 17:32:50 »
I'm playing around with KLE to figure out an ergodox like layout and I am trying to figure out how to make an inner column able to take both the 1.5u and 1u keys. The goal is to leave a little bit of layout options open. Here's my KLE layout to show what I'm talking about.

I have libreCAD and can manually move some things around once KLE does the bulk of the work but I'm not sure what sort of shape to aim for. Just a long rectangle with the side notches where ever the switches might mount? Or do I even need the notches when I could just place them sideways?
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 May 2017, 17:36:02 by yoippari »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Help making a versatile plate cut
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 22:06:42 »
Take a look at swillkb. Simply import your raw data from KLE into there, and you can see how it looks. You can overlay the keys in KLE on top of each other to create a cutout that'd work for 1.5u or 1u and then use what you can see and convert it into your needs.

Offline yoippari

Re: Help making a versatile plate cut
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 01:03:41 »
I'm using swillkb to generate the initial dxf file but adding screw holes, edge padding and other stuff myself. Here is the svg which should open in your browser but I'm not sure how long the link is good for. I'll check it in the morning. As you can see it just tries to overlay the two vertical keys on the three horizontal keys.