Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 424162 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:02:43 »
There's this fine art of writing thread and favorite pens/pencils threads. But they're pretty dead. I thought it might be fun to do a spinoff of the threads and focus on fountain pens.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:20:53 »
Koo thread.. that's a huge pictar..

Here's an old one by me.  i forgot which fp i used.. I THINK at the time i was using a pelican fine,  so that'd be ex fine if you're looking at western pens.

67509-0

Offline brainT

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:22:46 »
Is that a Noodler on the bottom?  Been thinking about picking one up.  Using a Lamy Safari + Noodler's black at the moment.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:25:11 »
Is that a Noodler on the bottom?  Been thinking about picking one up.  Using a Lamy Safari + Noodler's black at the moment.

noodle is me fav because it doesn't clog EVER...   but it does turn dark in the tube and the black comes out a bit on the gray side.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:26:19 »
Never got into fountain pens but in write in all caps.  You can still tell capital letters.  My lower case capitals are just smaller.  Just a habit that I didn't let go of from the service.  But it did wonders for my penmanship.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:34:59 »

Here's an old one by me.  i forgot which fp i used.. I THINK at the time i was using a pelican fine,  so that'd be ex fine if you're looking at western pens.

(Attachment Link)

Nice...wish I knew how to write Chinese. And Pelikan is a western pen yes? European nibs are like Japanese nibs? They run a little finer?

Pens in that picture are a TWSBI 580 (M) and a Pilot Metropolitan (M). The inks are Noodler's La Couleur Royale on top and De Atrementis Apple Blossom. I've been wanting to try a Noodler's pen for a while.

Never got into fountain pens but in write in all caps.  You can still tell capital letters.  My lower case capitals are just smaller.  Just a habit that I didn't let go of from the service.  But it did wonders for my penmanship.

Offline brainT

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:42:19 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice...wish I knew how to write Chinese. And Pelikan is a western pen yes? European nibs are like Japanese nibs? They run a little finer?

Pens in that picture are a TWSBI 580 (M) and a Pilot Metropolitan (M). The inks are Noodler's La Couleur Royale on top and De Atrementis Apple Blossom. I've been wanting to try a Noodler's pen for a while.

Show Image

Ah, I was drooling over a TWSBI Mini earlier today.  I may end up pulling the trigger on one after my bank account recovers a little from my other obsessions.  That and a Noodler Ahab...

noodle is me fav because it doesn't clog EVER...   but it does turn dark in the tube and the black comes out a bit on the gray side.

Their ink is awesome, especially if you're like me and get really lazy about cleaning the pen which I really ought to do soon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:44:02 »
I'm borrowing a TWSBI 580 and a Vac 700 from a member of the local Cincinnati Pen Meetup group. If you're into that Mini, and can afford it, I'd recommend it. I've really been enjoying the pens and I've been looking at the Mini as well as the other two.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:47:11 »
I'm borrowing a TWSBI 580 and a Vac 700 from a member of the local Cincinnati Pen Meetup group. If you're into that Mini, and can afford it, I'd recommend it. I've really been enjoying the pens and I've been looking at the Mini as well as the other two.

how could anyone not afford it.. isn't it only $50 ?  that's not remotely like what i deem almost wasteful expense like some of the $500 stuff.. that stuff is totally uncalled for

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:48:00 »
Some people are students or have bills. We're not all rich like you :P

Offline brainT

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 22:03:15 »

how could anyone not afford it.. isn't it only $50 ?  that's not remotely like what i deem almost wasteful expense like some of the $500 stuff.. that stuff is totally uncalled for
Show Image

Heh I just bought a Poker 2 and a bunch of other tech stuff.  And then theirs the mortgage and the other fun things that go with becoming a first time homeowner.  And a wedding to plan/pay for.  At least I just got a promotion at work!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 22:05:32 »
So I was about to come in here and ask if anyone writes in all caps.....clearly some of us have more in common than I realized :P

Oh and during my rebellious phase like 20yrs ago I swiped a fountain pen from walmart.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 22:42:21 »
So I was about to come in here and ask if anyone writes in all caps.....clearly some of us have more in common than I realized :P

Oh and during my rebellious phase like 20yrs ago I swiped a fountain pen from walmart.

Spam how could you...

it's one thing to steal movies on the internet.. whole other thing to nab f-pens from wally world.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 23:30:14 »

I didn't even know there were fountain pens at wal mart

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 23:33:47 »

I use an Alvin DRAFTMATIC No.DM07 to write with. I think I bought this one 5 years ago. Still strong.

Personally, I'm left handed and write with a hook. Have yet to find a way to use a fountain pen with my writing style.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 June 2014, 23:36:55 by sacratoy »
Poker II

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 16:31:58 »
Show Image

I use an Alvin DRAFTMATIC No.DM07 to write with. I think I bought this one 5 years ago. Still strong.

Personally, I'm left handed and write with a hook. Have yet to find a way to use a fountain pen with my writing style.

the only way for lefties, is to change the way you hold the f-pen..

which most wouldn't bother investing time to practice, not these days anyway.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 16:47:13 »

I write in all caps, i have to make lists at work for others to read. My handwriting adapted from doing this everyday and became my personal font
sell out and eat ass

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 16:51:20 »
All Caps is the de-facto print at work since I work with a lot of old draftsmen, engineer, and manufacturing people. I picked up the habit in a high school engineering class and it just stuck with me. But I can write in non-all-caps print as well as Palmer cursive (the cursive in the OP).

I'd like to learn Copperplate Script and Specerian as well. One style at a time though :)

And Sacratoy, I like drafting pencils too. I've got a Rotring 600 and 800.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:32:28 »
All Caps is the de-facto print at work since I work with a lot of old draftsmen, engineer, and manufacturing people. I picked up the habit in a high school engineering class and it just stuck with me. But I can write in non-all-caps print as well as Palmer cursive (the cursive in the OP).

I'd like to learn Copperplate Script and Specerian as well. One style at a time though :)

And Sacratoy, I like drafting pencils too. I've got a Rotring 600 and 800.

copperplate and spenc are not -practical- without an oblique flex pen.  You can get "close" with a regular calligraphy nib + writing at a 60deg angle.. but overall it won't have the dramatic impact of full-on spencerian because you can't produce as great a change in line weight within one character..

an easier style to break into would be gothic or miniscule...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:37:46 »
Gothic would be really cool too. And you're right. I don't have any flex nibs right now but I do have an italic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:57:42 »
Gothic would be really cool too. And you're right. I don't have any flex nibs right now but I do have an italic.

If you do try gothic.. i'd assume it's cuz of the cool looking capitals...   Do not bother doing the capitals with an italic PEN..

do them with a Large flat marker..   they're not readily possible with an italic pen (unless it's more than 3mm wide)..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 18:01:09 »
They're not possible with that attitude. I'll see how my experiments go first :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 19:32:25 »
They're not possible with that attitude. I'll see how my experiments go first :D

go right ahead...  I bet you will not be able to get good precise-looking corners with an italic nib < 3mm  for making the capitals.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 20:11:09 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

ditto.............i write in all caps as well-- kind of carried over from when i was in the navy.

it also carried over in my job with architectural drawings, etc.

if your handwriting is not the best (as mine) a good tuned fountain pen can definitely improve your chicken scratch and if you are not doing fine detail work-- the wider the better or about .8 to 1.3mm

i find italics and music nibs with a little flex to be the best
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 20:17:25 »

ditto again........... which black are you using? i have never had a clogging issue with noodlers-- although i still am leary about putting some of the more exotic colors in my vac's, snorkels.

the pelikan piston fillers though are pretty good and you can ink them up with almost

my bulletproof black dries pretty intense :thumb:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 22:17:56 »

ditto again........... which black are you using? i have never had a clogging issue with noodlers-- although i still am leary about putting some of the more exotic colors in my vac's, snorkels.

the pelikan piston fillers though are pretty good and you can ink them up with almost

my bulletproof black dries pretty intense :thumb:

i was an early adopter of bulletproof..  perhaps my early batch wasn't as good as your newer ones..   

Offline barihunk

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:24:44 »

(Attachment Link)

Wow you have the most awesome mandarin penmanship! Wish I could write mandarin like that - it's been far too long since I had to write in mandarin. English is fine but mandarin... whoa.

Here are some of mine.

67611-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:30:55 »

(Attachment Link)

Wow you have the most awesome mandarin penmanship! Wish I could write mandarin like that - it's been far too long since I had to write in mandarin. English is fine but mandarin... whoa.

Here are some of mine.

(Attachment Link)

Haha.. thx..  I like your writing too..  if I were to describe your chinese writing..  有点天真.. but only a little... just a tad.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:49:18 »

edit: a translation might be needed :P

More
Hi GeekHack!

I've had crappy writing for as long as I can remember, but over the last few weeks have been trying to improve it. After CPT gave me my first fountain pen, I got a Lamy Safari and I'm really enjoying it. O.K., back to work for me!

- riot
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:51:04 by riotonthebay »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:51:55 »

Here are some of mine.

(Attachment Link)

Barihunk, how are you liking that VP? I'm really considering getting one. Especially since they're on sale on Amazon.

If people want to try fountain pens, you can buy the disposable Pilot Varsity pens at Staples. The nibs are really nice, they're cheap (~$7 for 3), and you don't have to do any maintenance if you don't want. I've also been giving them out to people who have been interested so PM me and maybe we can work something out :D.

Looking good riot :D. Wish I could take pictures at work :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:54:21 by CPTBadAss »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 09:10:44 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 09:35:21 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 10:22:24 »
Show Image

Pretty sure a girl wrote the first set. The last set is my favorite!! ;) :P

Offline osi

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 10:38:40 »
67645-0

Top is how I write 99% of the time.

The middle is for the few times that I don't use block lettering. Usually only when I need to write fast. I mixed standard and cursive styles and also rarely lift the writing utensil unless I need to dot an I or something like that.

The bottom is my attempt to write in a normal non cursive case. I never write like that

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:05:12 »
my parents always complain about my handwritting :(

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:21:15 »

Show Image

Okay, but now you have to show us Vietnamese! Not that many could understand what you write, but that's beside the point...

Also, your handwriting doesn't suck. Far from it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 14:22:12 »
67660-0
edit: lol inb4 someone nicks this pic and posts in on a tumblr about glorifying depression and self harm, this looks like something people would post on those
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 June 2014, 14:25:14 by paicrai »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 14:46:34 »
You people and your fancy legible handwriting:

67664-0
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:14:01 »
You people and your fancy legible handwriting:

(Attachment Link)

I remember there was a distinct pocket of kids in my 1st and 2nd grade class that refused to do the -copy-assignments- (dictionary definitions, words on the board, etc).  and they just sat in the corner playing with the legos..

Were you one of these rebels CLIB ?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:35:09 »

Now imagine what it looks like when I'm taking notes in a hurry

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:37:28 »
Show Image

Now imagine what it looks like when I'm taking notes in a hurry

roughly something like this i imagine:
----------____-------<--___--__>---~~_________^
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 01:50:13 »

Show Image

Okay, but now you have to show us Vietnamese! Not that many could understand what you write, but that's beside the point...

As you demand :p

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 01:51:05 »
Seeing as we apparently type way too much here...

67704-0

<transcript below since my handwriting can be pretty indecipherable>

hello Geekhack!

Fountain pens has [sic] been a hobby of mine for quite a while now... about 6 years or so. Collecting and using, then and now, both pens and inks, as well as other stuff like paper/notebooks too.

Thanks to them, I've bettered my penmanship; but I also have other styles of handwriting, based on the situation, as some people may find my regular writing tough to read.

Sometimes I also vary it based on the pen and paper I'm using, as some pens write very wide and therefore need to be handled in a different way.

However I also just like to vary it based on what I feel like; playing with fountain pens is fun.

Pens used in this post, from the top:
Omas Milord w/ Diamine Sapphire Blue;
Mont Blanc Herbert von Karajan with Sailor Tokiwa Matsu;
Lamy 2000 with a green ink I mixed;
Kaweco Elite 587 with Rohrer & Klingner Alt-goldgrun;
Sailor ProGear Realo and Sailor Shigure;
and a TWSBI Vac 700 I just turned to a cursive italic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:31:30 by Zeroblade »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 07:36:11 »

(Attachment Link)

hello Geekhack!

Fountain pens has [sic] been a hobby of mine for quite a while now... about 6 years or so. Collecting and using, then and now, both pens and inks, as well as other stuff like paper/notebooks too.

Thanks to them, I've bettered my penmanship; but I also have other styles of handwriting, based on the situation, as some people may find my regular writing tough to read.

Sometimes I also vary it based on the pen and paper I'm using, as some pens write very wide and therefore need to be handled in a different way.

However I also just like to vary it based on what I feel like; playing with fountain pens is fun.

Sailor ProGear Realo and Sailor Shigure; and a TWSBI Vac 700 I just turned to a cursive italic.

Nice pens! I really like the Diamine Sapphire Blue.

Is that Kaweco Elite 587 the same as a Dialog 2? It looks very similar at least. And you ground the nib in the Vac 700 yourself?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:03:42 »

(Attachment Link)

hello Geekhack!

Sailor ProGear Realo and Sailor Shigure; and a TWSBI Vac 700 I just turned to a cursive italic.

Is that Kaweco Elite 587 the same as a Dialog 2? It looks very similar at least. And you ground the nib in the Vac 700 yourself?

hmm... i would also really like to file down an italic to maybe 30deg.. 

any tips on this...

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:52:30 »
I don't have very nice handwriting :(
My letters are not very equally sized, I think that's the main problem. And I don't write cursive usually so that's why that doesn't look as nice as it once did :rolleyes:

67723-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:58:49 »
That Lamy ABC is awesome haha. I can't wait to get a Pelikano Jr.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:01:32 »
That Lamy ABC is awesome haha. I can't wait to get a Pelikano Jr.

They used to come with yellow stickers instead of the white ones they have now, I didn't like the yellow at all as a kid but it was necessary as most people had one of these :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:20:33 »

Show Image

As you demand :p

Show Image

Very nice! I love seeing how people write in their native languages.

in memoriam

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:44:56 »

The Elite 587 looks like this (though mine is missing two of the gold cap rings and the picture there has one missing). It's an old pen from the 1950s I got for a steal from eBay. Was worried that the piston seal, which is made of cork, was already dried up and deteriorated, but it was working perfectly - what a miracle. The best part is definitely the flexible OBB nib, which is stubby. Amazing line variation, and writes very wet!

The Vac 700, indeed I ground myself, just last night. I do a bit of work on the side, doing nib grinds and pen adjustments for the local fountain pen group, and this was just another of the requests I got.

hmm... i would also really like to file down an italic to maybe 30deg.. 

any tips on this...

Hmm, do you mean grinding a pen nib to an oblique nib? The general process is that I use rough micromesh or even sandpaper to remove material and shape the nib, then I use an ultra-fine Arkansas stone to re-shape, smoothen, and polish the nib. The rest of the equation is just practice and building technique.