Author Topic: MX keys off typewriters  (Read 13517 times)

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
MX keys off typewriters
« on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 02:40:21 »
Hey GH'ers.
I was wondering if anyone has some sort of list of what brand/make typewriters are most likely to have cherry MX keys and is there an easyish sort of way to work out which might without removing the keys?
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: MX keys off typewriters
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 07:46:36 »
typewriters or keyboards?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 08:08:30 »
^MX switches can be on anything that needs switching, thus typewriters can have MX switches.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 08:38:23 »
I'd be interested to know this too. The only one that I know for definite (because I bought one) is the silver reed ex 42 (electronic typewriter). I'm going to view some other silver reeds soon, so i'll check whilst i'm there on those as well.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:59:50 »
There is some info about TA/Royal typewriters in this thread. Besides those I don't really know what others may have.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 11:13:51 »
I'd be interested to know this too. The only one that I know for definite (because I bought one) is the silver reed ex 42 (electronic typewriter). I'm going to view some other silver reeds soon, so i'll check whilst i'm there on those as well.

Show Image

Do those actually fit and travel properly on a modern common cherry mx board? I've seen some typewriters like this and the keys would not work.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 11:15:43 »

Show Image

Do those actually fit and travel properly on a modern common cherry mx board? I've seen some typewriters like this and the keys would not work.

Good question, I haven't tried them yet I just assumed they would. I'm lending my friend my only cherry board atm for him to see if he likes the switches, but i'll try them asap!
I didn't know that some didn't work, thanks for the heads up.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 11:18:33 »
Np. The problem on the 2 I found were that both the stem "supports" on the side and the keycap walls/sides themselves wouldn't allow for complete travel for the keypress. Mind you I only had my mini homemade switch tester in my pocket at the thrift store (which didn't really help with profile or space between multiple key fitting issues).
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 11:39:28 »
Right those in the picture won't work without modification, the stem supports will block key from being depressed. Also the stem appears to be too close to one wall, so likely even modding won't help on those particular caps.
 The ones on TA/Royal are actually Cherry oem, so there is no problem using those of course. I have models with M7,MX and MY switch with either dyesub or doubleshots.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2012, 11:41:11 by lysol »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 12:08:06 »
Also the stem appears to be too close to one wall

Ah, yes. That, too. The stem part was too far back towards the rear wall of the key. They looked very similar to the above but were green on black.

I wish I had written down the make and model of the typewriters, but at that time I wasn't thinking about it; the store was packed with employees and I just wanted to get out before the usual "what are you doing to our merchandise?" question arose as I yanked caps off. Parents just don't understand.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 18:05:56 »
I have been secretly compiling a list (For my own nefarious purposes), which I will post presently.
Lysol, or anyone else, more information would be useful.

Okay, I scoured the DT and GH topics on this and put the info in a table.
http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Typewriters

Lysol, was that a Gabrielle 510 you had? I don't think I ever saw the exact model line listed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2012, 19:08:00 by dorkvader »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 19:18:49 »
Exact models I have had TA Satellite 825 MX linear white with blue on grey dyesub, TA Satellite 510 MX linear white with brown/orange on tan dyesub, TA Alpha 700D M7 linear with green on white doubleshot.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:55:03 »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Now I have a better idea as to what to look for. Shame no "op" shops near me have keyboards or typewriters.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Pieminister

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 09:43:48 »
Sorry for the massive resurrection of this thread, but it wasn't worth making a new one.

I will update the wiki with this info but wanted to document it here because it is one of the first things that crops up when you google for this info.

Triumph Adler SE 410 has MX compatible keycaps, but I am not sure what the actual switch is (MX or MY, I think MY)
I emailed a German distributor of of TA typewriters who informed me that the Triumph Adler TWEN T180 has membrane switches (so won't be MX compatible). I assume this extends to the other TWEN series models as well.

This is information I have not seen documented before.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 10:40:56 by Pieminister »