Author Topic: Cherry MX Reds/Clears  (Read 27099 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:08:16 »
Quote from: ripster;340342
Well, the Ergo Clears are ALMOST identical to Cherry Clears.  Personally I like the Ergo Clear Lite's better.

You guys that invented these should get together and come up with standard names for the two.  Maybe the Black spring version becomes "Ghetto Clear" and the lite version becomes "Ergo Clear"???

Like Astronomers and Planets.  Who discovers it should get to name it.

Update the Cherry Wiki when you get it figured out.

Ok, it's about time that I'm starting to dig it.

You guys are not only talking about stock switches but you also include modded ones using not so standard funky names.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:08:53 »
I still call the lite version, beige, because gives better the idea of something between clears and brown (and if the spring comes from a blue switch they are still something between clears and brown).
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:11:24 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Cata1yst

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:31:10 »
Thanks rip. Helped me make my decision.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:40:53 »
Quote from: harrison;340388

ps.  i value to the rip-o-meter.  haters gonna haters.  ****'em

BTW ripometering a single switch as someone did, means nothing due to the production tolerances.

Indeed the average beige switch value is more closer to 55g than 50. Although 50 is the correct value for some switches.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:45:15 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline mtl

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 18:54:31 »
Well, the Ergo Clears are ALMOST identical to Cherry Clears.
I've tried them both side-by-side and disagree.  To me ergo clears are much easier on the fingers. Have you measured bottom out force?  I suspect the clear spring has a higher spring constant and offers more resistance than black springs, the more they are compressed.

You guys that invented these should get together and come up with standard names for the two.  Maybe the Black spring version becomes "Ghetto Clear" and the lite version becomes "Ergo Clear"???
I'm not sure where the ghetto term is coming from. Let's keep ergo clears how they are and call the lite variation "Bumpy Browns." :)
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 19:31:11 »
Quote from: mtl;340664
I've tried them both side-by-side and disagree.  To me ergo clears are much easier on the fingers.

Is more than evident.

Have you measured bottom out force?  I suspect the clear spring has a higher spring constant and offers more resistance than black springs, the more they are compressed.

This is what black and clears graphs are showing, and this is the way they feel, so I assume it's correct

I'm not sure where the ghetto term is coming from.

I suppose it come from some use to mod something in some closed community, likely of black people  (just a guess based on any fact or internet search)

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 19:34:41 »
We have black people, but thanks God the last time we had a ghetto was at the time of the world war II

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 19:39:39 »
Did it.. what?

Offline mtl

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:04:53 »
Quote from: ripster;340671
Sorry, but Gravity and the RipOmeter don't lie.
Lies!  Clearly my fingers are more precise instruments than whatever you have going on there. Also Cherry tolerances are very forgiving.
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:19:20 »
Quote from: mtl;340692
Lies!  Clearly my fingers are more precise instruments than whatever you have going on there. Also Cherry tolerances are very forgiving.

For some reason ripster feel itself like Gheddafi in the current days.

Maybe sooner or later he will understand than no one is bombing San Francisco, and will restart to write reasonable sentences.

So don't expect too much for the few next days.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:35:10 by The Solutor »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 21:01:16 »
Feel it up ripmeister! Enjoy!

Offline brkim1324

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:46:38 »
Red is the most recent switch, and not the most common switch types known for mechanical keyboards. Usually you expect something very distinct feel, loud, and feel of typewriter when you purchase mechanical keyboard. So most people consider between brown or blue. They feel about the same, but just a noise difference. Red feel totally different from blue or brown. The feel is different (if you are used to blue like me, you won't know if you r typing or not at first. They keys just push in so easily without middle joint nor blue noise). Red doesn't feel like a type writer nor the loud cool sound keyboard. It's just.. "linear" type. Many ppl looking for mechanical keyboard don't expect something that sounds or feel anything realted to membrane, but much distinct. So Red and clear are not that popular yet. But now I am typing with Red, it's great. Actually I didn't really expect much from Red. I just decided to try out Red since my fingers feel 55g of force too strong for me, I decided to go with 45g. At first, it feels very boring compared to blue or brown. But as you get used to it, you will find its own appeal :). Overall, all the switches have its own uniqueness and the preference just differ from person to person :)

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 10:22:40 »
OOooops. Sorry Solutor - I just found your Cherry White Stems with Brown Springs mod (you call it "Beige"). Next time post it in the Modifications Subforum and people would be able to find it.

You should upgrade your RAM... you linked it in the cherry MX mod WIKI aside the ones from mtl and KL, anyway "sorry" is appreciated.

I don't want to go through that again with noobs asking me about Cherry Beige.

The idea was that if one know what  a clear and a brown switch are, has no need to ask what is a beige (cappuccino could be an alternate name).

Also dark brown could be a name for brown stem + black spring (which anyway is a bit pointless mod)

Offline Cata1yst

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 10:49:29 »
Quote from: ripster;341006
This is a proper poured Cappucino.
Show Image

Sup Kato.

I personally think that ergo lite minimizes confusion the most. But ill leave it up to the first modder.

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 10:55:07 »
KL doesn't even know how to solder.

It's on my to do list to learn!

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 08:37:02 »
Quote from: ripster;341030
I was the first modder.  The New Vbulletin 4.0 TimeStamps prove it.

It is officially Ergo Lite.

Mmmm...

I still don't fully agree whit this nomenclature

Ergoclears makes sense: clears + brown (ergo), but what has to do the word "ergo" with the black springs ?

We should call ergoclears the beige switches and something else the other mod, say stifferclears, tactoblacks or whatever you like, but not ergoclears, is misleading...

Offline Chobopants

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 08:56:48 »
So these past few comments actually made me understand what the "Ergo" means here. This whole time I thought it was a clever use of the adverb and I was trying to figure out its intended reading.

"Don't like browns? Ergo, clear."
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 08:57:00 »
Hasn't mtl called "ergoclears" clear+brown spring ?

I agree with that

It's calling "ergoclears" clear + black spring that doesen't sound good to me.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 08:58:26 »
Quote from: Chobopants;341503

"Don't like browns? Ergo, clear."

Hahaha.

Digito, ergo sum ? :-)

Offline mtl

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 17:51:30 »
Quote from: The Solutor;341492
tactoblacks
Works for me.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 20:07:08 »
Hahaha - I'll change that link in the wiki.

KL doesn't even know how to solder.

Frankly I'm gonna stick with Ergo Lite instead of Cappuccino.

This is a proper poured Cappucino.
Show Image

Sometimes what I say is misinterpreted :redface:

http://www.overclock.net/13360131-post1.html

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 20:15:01 »
Quote from: mtl;341789
Works for me.

I'm sorry, I read this message ten times but I overlooked who posted it.

So, ergoclears + tactoblacks is good for all ?

Ripster ? KeyboardLover?

Offline mtl

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 22:13:42 »
Quote from: ripster;341804
Show Image
Thank you, Ripster.  Now I will forever imagine this segway swat team inside my bad ass tactoblack switches.  Looks like a couple have bottomed out but that's ok.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 22:35:54 »
Quote from: ripster;341856
So ergoclear=white stem and blue/red/brown spring
tactoblack=white stem and black spring?

Yes, works for me. I said tactoblack as the first thing that "jumped" in my mind, but looks fine, especially now that you added a bit of testosterone to it...

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 07:52:35 »
Actually sixty was the one who first recommended me to try that switch. But now he's a mod at that guruishy asshat euro forum so mtl can get the credit.

Offline RiGS

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 08:00:11 »
Do you remember this thread?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 08:19:04 »
Yea, thanks for finding that. I remember that.

Offline bionicroach

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 09:43:37 »
Quote from: ripster;342023
At least with the RipOmeter we now have hard concrete scientific numbers instead of a bunch of forum geeks talking about key "Feel".

I agree.  Whether it's an accurate measurement of force doesn't matter that much as long as it's a fairly *consistent* measurement.

Kind of like the body fat function on my bathroom scale; It's obviously not on par with Olympic-grade athletic trainer equipment, but as long as it gives me a consistent number that gets bigger or smaller with my weight changes, it still gives me some helpful info.  The fat % does go up or down on the scale depending on how much I'm procrastinating on exercise and diet, so it seems to be fairly consistent.

Offline BucklingSpring

Cherry MX Reds/Clears
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 09:46:45 »
Quote from: mtl;341864
Thank you, Ripster.  Now I will forever imagine this segway swat team inside my bad ass tactoblack switches.  Looks like a couple have bottomed out but that's ok.

Segway swat team is meant to be a Human reenactment of this game

Swat members = ducks and other targets

My black switches are not afraid of the dark.

"Sorry sir, we can't save the hostages because the building has no handicap ramp."
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)