Author Topic: First MK build questions  (Read 3654 times)

Offline VaeVictus

First MK build questions
« on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 19:10:36 »
Hello all,

I want to start my first Mechanical build but I don't know enough to really select the component parts that I want. Here's the deal.
I want to find a PCB that would allow me to have multiple different profiles (like the dip switches on the Ducky One 2), further, I want to have a PCB (or maybe this is done through firmware, I have no idea) that would allow me to set a particular key sequence (in the case I'm thinking of Alt+J to input "j" into the computer only. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline ErgoMacros

Re: First MK build questions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 19:22:29 »
There are many options for this. Firmware called QMK and TMK will do the programming you request.
There are options that don't require building it yourself.

Have you tried at least a few different types of switches to get a feel for what you like to  type on?
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline VaeVictus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 22:57:05 »
Yes, I have most of that stuff figured out. Cherry Browns are amazing and I am getting blank pbt keycaps etc. Just to clarify: you are saying that can download that firmware onto something like the One2 and be able to make alt+J input "j"? I kinda do want to build my own but buying a tkl and then replacing the case and keycaps might be easier...

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 00:13:58 »
Hi, Looks to me like Ducky boards don't use QMK or TMK. Maybe their controllers can't be re-programmed after sale.

Looks like some people have tried to replace a fried controller with a Teensy 2++. See this thread for the scale of the problem:
    https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82882.0

Starting with a board that's designed to be re-programmed buy the end user is a much better way to go.
There are lots of group buys for this, for example.

You can buy some QMK supported keyboards fully assembled, an example is:
    https://kbdfans.cn/collections/fully-assembled-keyboard/products/kbdfans-t1-tada68-mechanical-keyboard

And lastly, you can get any USB board you like and connect it via a Hasu USB-to-USB controller. (about $40) It uses TMK, but will do everything you've asked for so far.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”