Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612764 times)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2250 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 06:04:19 »
Thinking about testing the *BSDs next.
How are they for every day desktop use?

Offline Nagato

« Reply #2251 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 06:25:23 »
I use Ubuntu Budgie at home and Xubuntu at work.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2252 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 09:52:04 »
what is 'yum disc'?

Yum disc is doggo slang for pizza.

Depends on which one you want to start with. TrueOS is suppose to be an install it and forget it experience, though I've only installed FreeBSD and OpenBSD. For hands dirty types the ports collection and FreeBSD is pretty great. I've even had success with esoteric packages like bspwm and polybar. OpenBSD is damn near an install it and forget it experience sans wifi. I had about as much luck with wifi on OpenBSD as I did with wifi on HaikuOS (zero--I'd imagine thinkpads would be ideal). However, if your every day desktop includes gaming... well, I've read and heard through podcats that console emulation and DOSBox are a thing on FreeBSD. Steam and PlayOnBSD (or Wine) are not exactly 1:1 with the Linux variants.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2253 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 09:56:54 »
OpenBSD has good WiFi support - if you have ethernet during the first installation so you can run fw-update.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2254 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 10:25:33 »
OpenBSD has good WiFi support - if you have ethernet during the first installation so you can run fw-update.

I found the vendor driver I needed for my wifi, moved that to a usb thumb drive and gave it a go. Still wouldn't work. Same issue I had with HaikuOS. I'm not saying that OpenBSD is a bad option. I'm implying that those coming from the linux side of things might want to investigate the wifi situation first. I KNOW.. John Carmack donated $10K to OpenBSD this year. I get it. That's fantastic for OpenBSD--but the wifi situation compared to FreeBSD is pretty bad. But what do I know.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2255 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 03:18:20 »
what is 'yum disc'?

Depends on which one you want to start with. TrueOS is suppose to be an install it and forget it experience, though I've only installed FreeBSD and OpenBSD. For hands dirty types the ports collection and FreeBSD is pretty great. I've even had success with esoteric packages like bspwm and polybar. OpenBSD is damn near an install it and forget it experience sans wifi. I had about as much luck with wifi on OpenBSD as I did with wifi on HaikuOS (zero--I'd imagine thinkpads would be ideal). However, if your every day desktop includes gaming... well, I've read and heard through podcats that console emulation and DOSBox are a thing on FreeBSD. Steam and PlayOnBSD (or Wine) are not exactly 1:1 with the Linux variants.
Alright thank you.
It wouldn't include gaming, I have windows for that. It would be as a second boot option on the windows pc when I am not gaming.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2256 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 07:19:34 »
what is 'yum disc'?

Alright thank you.
It wouldn't include gaming, I have windows for that. It would be as a second boot option on the windows pc when I am not gaming.

Yep. I should probably add that although the FreeBSD Handbook is a fantastic reference, it may not include things like how to enable utf-8 support. b1c1l1 - Using UTF-8 (Unicode) on FreeBSD

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2257 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 07:28:06 »
what is 'yum disc'?

Alright thank you.

Yep. I should probably add that although the FreeBSD Handbook is a fantastic reference, it may not include things like how to enable utf-8 support. b1c1l1 - Using UTF-8 (Unicode) on FreeBSD
Thanks again. I'll definitely look into it.
Seems like an interesting project for when I am not gaming.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #2258 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 16:03:39 »
I briefly experimented with Linux in 1994, but it wasn't until 2001 I switched over permanently.   Since 2001 I have constantly been dual booting, keeping a Windows install around just in case I need it.  Over the years that need has drastically declined until today when I have a Windows 10 install solely for the purpose of the occasional game I play.

My Linux History on my Desktop:

1994(?): Slackware - Got a free Slackware CD on the cover of a computer magazine.. Decided to try it.   Did not like it.  Went straight back to DOS.  Didn't try Linux again for many years.

2001 - 2002: Red Hat 7.3 Valhalla (pre-fedora/RHEL fork) - I was in college. I got tired of constant windows crashes and wanted something more reliable.  I didn't care for the RPM package manager.

2002 - 2005: Gentoo Linux - Being a hardware tuning and performance enthusiast, the idea of compiling with custom hardware specific compiler flags appealed to me. Eventually it grew old.   Didn't really feel any faster than binary distributions, and my habit of using bleeding edge hardware forced me into unstable builds, and constant troubleshooting and workarounds.

2005 (briefly): Ubuntu 5.04 - After my Gentoo fatigue I wanted something easy, and had heard good things about Ubuntu.  I liked it a lot.  I was amazed how much stuff "just worked" out of the box.  No more troubleshooting to get sound to work, etc.  After a month or two I rolled back to Gentoo - however  - because there was some bug in this version of Ubuntu that kept corrupting my hard drive.  (Storage controller Kernel driver?)

2005 - 2006: Gentoo (again) - After repeated drive corruptions under Ubuntu that didn't occur on any other systems, I decided to temporarily go back to Gentoo.

2006 - 2011: Ubuntu - After a year break from my corruption issues, I decided to give Ubuntu another try.  This time it worked fine, no drive corruptions, and I was sill astonished at how easy it was, just detecting my hardware and working.  Eventually in 2011 Ubuntu switched over to Unity being the default desktop, and I HATED unity.   I didn't want to have to mess with installing my own desktop environment, so I decided to switch.

2011 - present: Linux Mint - I originally chose Mint because it was Ubuntu based, and I was always impressed with how hardware compatibility always just worked on Ubuntu.  It also used Gnome 2, just like I was used to and liked from early Ubuntu releases.   So I started out with the Gnome edition, and then when forced to choose between Cinnamon and Mate in 2012, I thought Cinnamon looked snazzier, so I went with that.   I've been on Linux Mint Cinnamon edition ever since.

IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline JeremyLLawson

• Jeremy Lawson [dot] com
« Reply #2259 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 19:01:08 »
Like others I've played around with many flavors but I'm currently using Ubuntu MATE 16.04. 

For several years I dual booted with a Win install but I finally ditched MS completely on this latest computer, though I do keep a couple virtual installs handy just in case I need it for something.  I also keep a laptop running Ubuntu in my travel bag and have a all-in-one PC running 16.04 with Pi-hole as my network DNS sinkhole blocking malware sites, tracking and ad sites, etc.
Resistance is Futile

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2260 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:16:16 »
I HATE that I cannot switch over completely. I do photo editing in lightroom, and I DO need Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel because that's what academics in my field (social science) use. I cannot get around that. And SPSS (though there used to be linux versions of that).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline mta

« Reply #2261 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:37:54 »
I mostly use Mac OSX but when I use Linux, it's usually Ubuntu. I've tried a few other distros out but kept finding myself coming back.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2262 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 11:54:18 »
In my programming class, i remembered we used an old version of Red Hat to emulate CentOS. Problem was, it was a terminal.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2263 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:09:58 »
In my programming class, i remembered we used an old version of Red Hat to emulate CentOS. Problem was, it was a terminal.

Be careful.  Once you load your conscious into a terminal emulator again you may never leave...  Whatever you do, DONT TRY VIM.  Seriously..

WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) might be the new hotness but one can't even run a decent console based music player in WSL.

Have to SSH into the Linux box, and at that point why even bother if you're not required to use WSL..  Sad.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2264 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:14:11 »
Mpxplay is a good console player for Windows.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2265 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:36:18 »
I understand those words you wrote.. but I don't understand what those words mean when used in that configuration.

How can one even console in Windows?  I know one can't drop to a DOS prompt (in Redstone anyway), those days are gone.  Is there another way?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2266 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:01:24 »
I understand those words you wrote.. but I don't understand what those words mean when used in that configuration.

How can one even console in Windows?  I know one can't drop to a DOS prompt (in Redstone anyway), those days are gone.  Is there another way?

Install a third party SSH server?

Or by "console", Windows users assume you mean a GUI console.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2267 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 15:06:51 »
I've got this 10+ year old hand-me-down department store laptop that I don't have the heart to toss (I'll try to throw a pi in it first..).

I've tried: Arch Linux/bspwm, kubuntu, xubuntu, BSDs (NetBSD was +1), various Puppy Linux (not a fan of JWM), and Debian testing/XFCE.

Of all the distributions I've tried, Debian Testing/XFCE (4.19.0-2 amd64) has exceeded my expectations.

edit - Of course after saying this I performed a full update for Debian testing and it not only removed qjoypad from my system but also the two xfce keyboard macros for qjoypad profiles.

I have other xfce shortcuts added that were unaffected.. so weird.  Debian 9.8.0 Stable should be fine for most people. (btw, I use Arch)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 March 2019, 22:14:39 by csmertx »

Offline iri

« Reply #2268 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 17:07:15 »
Obtained a ****ty netbook, installed the latest Puppy on it. Now netbook is not so ****ty.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2269 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 17:24:21 »
When compared to Puppy?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2270 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 17:49:08 »
Joe's Window Manager is a magical incantation in of itself.

Offline iri

« Reply #2271 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 03:14:53 »
What's so wrong with it? JWM has typical look and feel. A-la Windows XP. Or a dozen other WM's on Linux. And it's not that I really need to manage windows on a 10.1" laptop.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2272 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 10:39:53 »
What's so wrong with it? JWM has typical look and feel. A-la Windows XP. Or a dozen other WM's on Linux. And it's not that I really need to manage windows on a 10.1" laptop.

I meant no sarcasm.  I recently built a toram Debian ISO because why not, that alone was a challenge.  I should have said that both Puppy and JWM are magical incantations that I hope to one day understand.  Slacko is still my favorite, though the artwork for the latest Puppy ISO is insanely awesome.  After writing this I kinda want to take another shot at ISO building with WoofCE.  Building an ISO with busybox init would be interesting.

Offline iri

« Reply #2273 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 18:44:17 »
Bionic pup looks nice, yes. Better than Slacko.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2274 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 19:04:20 »
No way.  Slacko is best distro :cool:

Offline thearctican

« Reply #2275 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 21:49:25 »
Straight Debian babies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline omuerte

« Reply #2276 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 22:04:36 »
Almost entirely Debian/Ubuntu across 15~ machines. I tried to get into CentOS, I really did, but everything is *so* old. There are features I want that don't exist in kernel 3.14, thanks.
Click Clack

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2277 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 23:57:57 »
Just had to reinstall my Antergos box because it started ****ing up majorly with my network connection.
I need to learn to diagnose such problems better in Linux.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #2278 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 13:05:06 »
Almost entirely Debian/Ubuntu across 15~ machines. I tried to get into CentOS, I really did, but everything is *so* old. There are features I want that don't exist in kernel 3.14, thanks.
You're fancy if you got 3.14 in CentOS. Most of our production machines at work still run CentOS 6 and Kernel 2.6.x

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2279 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 21:14:46 »
For whatever reason I've gone from Arch Linux and i3-gaps or bspwm to Arch Linux Gnome 3.x.x with Adapta.  So it goes.  Backup system is Debian with i3-gaps (i3blocks bar) and kernel 5.1.x.  Definitely my favorite for VMs

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2280 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 00:06:37 »
For those unaware Antergos has been discontinued.

I'm experimenting with Chakra, Manjaro and Arco as a replacement, so far Chakra is leading.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2281 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 06:54:39 »
For those unaware Antergos has been discontinued.

I'm experimenting with Chakra, Manjaro and Arco as a replacement, so far Chakra is leading.
Well ****.
I'll check out Chakra, thanks.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2282 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 08:07:21 »
What I didn't like about Manjaro was Arch Wiki compatibility issues.

Maybe some kind soul will fork the Antergos project.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2283 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:02:32 »

What kinds of wiki compatibility issues?
I stopped using Manjaro after it borked itself after en update for like the umpteenth time, but I'll give it another go.
Pretty dependant on aur.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2284 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:55:03 »

I stopped using Manjaro after it borked itself after en update for like the umpteenth time, but I'll give it another go.
Pretty dependant on aur.

Pamac to auto update all the things?  Updating packages and repos with a GUI is not for me (great notifier tho). 

As for wiki compatibilty, there were often mismatches in file names, directories, design choices, etc.  Like reading Debian Wiki articles for Ubuntu problems (though ubuntu wiki is dense compared to manjaro wiki).  Sometimes Archisms translated to Manjaroisms, sometimes not.  Which was frustrating.  Even more so for a first time user of i3wm..  After 9 months I gave up and installed Arch.  That seemed like a good idea at the time.

Lots of Arco Linux in the ole r/unixporn as of late, must be something to it if those crazy penguins like it.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2285 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:09:50 »

Pretty dependant on aur.

Pamac to auto update all the things?  Updating packages and repos with a GUI is not for me (great notifier tho). 

As for wiki compatibilty, there were often mismatches in file names, directories, design choices, etc.  Like reading Debian Wiki articles for Ubuntu problems (though ubuntu wiki is dense compared to manjaro wiki).  Sometimes Archisms translated to Manjaroisms, sometimes not.  Which was frustrating.  Even more so for a first time user of i3wm..  After 9 months I gave up and installed Arch.  That seemed like a good idea at the time.

Lots of Arco Linux in the ole r/unixporn as of late, must be something to it if those crazy penguins like it.
Yeah I don't like updating via GUI either, but I can live with it.
Actually yeah I was doing a full upgrade. Should prolly stop doing that. Or at least research if there are problems before I install. :D Lesson learned I guess.
Checking out Arco Linux now, looks interesting!

Offline CaninoDev

« Reply #2286 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 13:47:09 »
Back in the 90’s and early aughts, I used Slackware. Took a hiatus until 2012 where I went Ubuntu, then to Debian and as of last year settled on Manjaro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2287 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:33:59 »
Back in the 90’s and early aughts, I used Slackware. Took a hiatus until 2012 where I went Ubuntu, then to Debian and as of last year settled on Manjaro

Why Manjaro?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2288 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 18:33:53 »
So I was going to reply to a few things on here, but I have so much to add and all this is going to clutter this thread, so I'm going to finish some testing and start a new thread for finding an Antergos replacement.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2289 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 20:35:40 »
Ok, scratch the above...

For the moment you may want to try RebornOS.
It's a fork of Antergos with more install options, it's still new, and just getting started so who knows if it will stick around but so far it's basically Antergos with more install options. I wouldn't install it over your current system just yet, especially since Antergos isn't a problem yet. I'll be testing it more this weekend.

For those wondering about the others I was looking at.. (a recapp plus new)
Arco -  Nice and uses the Arch repos but it borked the autologin and has a crap ton of preinstalled software (WHY?!).
Chakra - Less preinstalled software but still a lot and does not have access to Arch repos (only AUR).
Endeavour - Antergos fork in the planning stages, it's going to use a new install system from PortergOS and it will have access to Arch repos.
Manjaro - Manjaro left a bad taste in my mouth after I tried it 3 different times and all 3 had repo key problems, it may have just been that variant (Cinnamon) as the KDE variant I tried the other night was fine. It too uses it's own repos which are not always up to date. I want to like it, but it never feels right to me.

Others you may be interested in:

Architect - This basically installs raw Arch, however it was discontinued in 2017 (but still available). It still works however it's not nearly as noob friendly as Ubuntu or even Antergos. This is not really a distro but more of an install script for Arch that keeps you from having to lookup commands. While better, it's still very easy to screw up the install and it's going to take just as long to install as pure Arch.

Manjaro Achitect - Build your own Manjaro, this is basically Architect but using Manjaro repos. All the same warnings apply to it as they do to Architect.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2290 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 23:17:59 »
Currently using ArcoB-Awesome.
Took some getting used to but I really like it now that I've got it all set up. Thanks for the tip!

Offline CaninoDev

« Reply #2291 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 09:31:08 »

Why Manjaro?
I had, at the time, a relatively new video card that just came out to market. I tried Debian/Ubuntu but was having trouble with getting the video card recognized. Then I heard about Manjaro having access to cutting edge drivers so tried that. It worked without a hitch. All I had to learn was instead of `apt install` it was `yay -Syu` followed by package name to update AND install. Much more convenient. Plus can open up access to the AUR. So haven’t really looked back to the other distributions.

Oh and another benefit: it makes the inimitable Arch wiki more relevant as Manjaro is Arch based.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2292 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 12:15:54 »

Why Manjaro?
I had, at the time, a relatively new video card that just came out to market. I tried Debian/Ubuntu but was having trouble with getting the video card recognized. Then I heard about Manjaro having access to cutting edge drivers so tried that. It worked without a hitch. All I had to learn was instead of `apt install` it was `yay -Syu` followed by package name to update AND install. Much more convenient. Plus can open up access to the AUR. So haven’t really looked back to the other distributions.

Oh and another benefit: it makes the inimitable Arch wiki more relevant as Manjaro is Arch based.

I've had the opposite experience with Manjaro and the Arch Wiki, but I can see why some folks like Manjaro over other Arch based distros.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2293 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 12:20:52 »
Took some getting used to but I really like it now that I've got it all set up. Thanks for the tip!

Awesome, and apparently the project uses Arch repos so AUR and Arch Wikk should be nearly 100% compatible.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2294 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 14:21:40 »

Awesome, and apparently the project uses Arch repos so AUR and Arch Wikk should be nearly 100% compatible.
I've had no problems using yay to install a few programs I really enjoy. :D
Great to hear about the Arch wiki though, will keep that in mind for when I inevitably will have to troubleshoot something.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2295 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 17:30:15 »
I wasn't aware of this until recently; from what I've heard the Antergos team will push a final update that converts an Antergos installation into a full vanilla Arch Linux installation.

So according to plan, anyone running Antergos will end up with a true vanilla Arch Linux installation if you accept the final Antergos update.

Thought someone might find this interesting.  I needed an Arch VM for testing something unrelated but decided on Antergos just to see what happens.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2296 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 21:08:38 »
I wasn't aware of this until recently; from what I've heard the Antergos team will push a final update that converts an Antergos installation into a full vanilla Arch Linux installation.

So according to plan, anyone running Antergos will end up with a true vanilla Arch Linux installation if you accept the final Antergos update.
I think that was mentioned above, maybe not.
The only problem is while this works for current installs, at some point the installer could become outdated or break.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2297 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 01:43:09 »

I think that was mentioned above, maybe not.
The only problem is while this works for current installs, at some point the installer could become outdated or break.

I've heard the news from a few Jupiter Broadcasting podcasts as well as the Ubuntu Podcast--also read via several RSS feeds.  Their press release was all over the Linux news for a bit.

I have faith in the Antergos team to deliver as promised.  And of course the installer won't work a little while after the final update.. their server(s) will be disconnected or repurposed.  Works fine right now if you don't want to install to ZoL zroot (grayed out forever I reckon).

Hopefully I'll notice that script in the updates before I update.  Would make for an interesting read.

IIRC, stripping out the Antergos bits is a pita; lots of outdated guides on the subject.  Might as well install good ole Arch if that's the end goal anyway. 

I needed a clean Arch based VM to install both Arch to ZoL zroot and Arch to encrypted ZoL zroot to test a custom Debian ISO build, and didn't feel like reading all my past notes.  Thought I might as well see how the change is executed while I isolated my main system from potential Zedfs on Linux newb mistakes. Shame the option was switched off in the current Antergos Cnchi installer, would have saved me a few steps :-[

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2298 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:00:32 »
My older Ubuntu MATE VM is becoming a bit slow, so I'm investigating alternatives.

Tried OPenSUSE, but the installed crashed or hung or was not usable several times, so I gave up.

Installed Solaris as a joke - I've tried it before on Sun hardware but couldn't get used to the differences between it and, say, Linux.

Installed Kubuntu (used to be a KDE user before GNOME became usable, but now GNOME has gone off the rails), but haven't done much with it.

I've tried CentOS on the (virtual) desktop, but the packages are generally too old for my needs, hence something a bit more up to date.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2299 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 01:07:44 »
IIRC, stripping out the Antergos bits is a pita; lots of outdated guides on the subject.  Might as well install good ole Arch if that's the end goal anyway. 

Simplest/fastest method I've found so far... ArcolinuxD..
Use that to get an easy, minimal CLI setup then install your D.E., I have KDE to just a few commands and only a few minutes total.

My older Ubuntu MATE VM is becoming a bit slow, so I'm investigating alternatives.
These are very fast/bare installs.
I do a base install, then after the reboot clone it before installing the desktop. Saves you from having to start from scratch each time.

KDE:
Install with Arcolinuxd
restart
sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service 
sudo pacman -S sddm plasma-meta   (use defaults)
sudo systemctl enable sddm.service
sudo shutdown -r now  (restarts the system)

Not sure why they enable lightdm (desktop manager) by default, it's not installed, but leaving this messes with sddm (desktop manager).

Mate:
Install with Arcolinuxd
restart
sudo pacman -S lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings marco mate-extra   (use defaults)
sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service
sudo shutdown -r now  (restarts the system)

Vbox packages:

sudo pacman -S linux-headers
sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-dkms
sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils
sudo systemctl enable vboxservice.service
restart

Note: you will need to enable bi-directional clipboard and such in the VM interface
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More