Author Topic: [IC] Xikii S98 | Gasket Mount 980 Layout Keyboard  (Read 9159 times)

Offline kawaiicheung

[IC] Xikii S98 | Gasket Mount 980 Layout Keyboard
« on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 16:54:41 »
285254-0
S98 is very different from Master98 in appearance and structural details.

285256-1
The layout is exactly the same as the previous Master98, and it still maintains a very compact layout. The row where the ESC is located is the upper light position, and the below 5 rows are the lower light position. The advantage of this is to ensure the brightness effect of the top row of lights. And the PCB is flex cut to ensure the typing feel. The PCB is Bluetooth 5.2 dual-mode, hot-swappable, RGB lights, RGB bottom lights, and music rhythms.

285258-2
285260-3
285262-4
There is a foot on the back that is slightly larger than the keyboard, and all the frame width ratios, including the ratio of the foot to the overall length, seem to be relatively harmonious. There are three indicator lights between ESC and F1 in the upper left corner. With the indicator light, there are three decorative lines running through the whole and connecting to the side.

285264-5
285266-6
285274-7
The USB interface is in the middle of the keyboard, and is connected to the main PCB with a spring pin. Considering that this kit is equipped with dual-mode Bluetooth as standard, the USB interface and the Bluetooth power switch are made on an independent small board and placed in independent feet. There are also two 3000mah lithium batteries installed in the feet, so there is a total of 6000mah power. The interface and the Bluetooth power supply switch are separated from the main board by the sub-interface board. For the overall structure and experience of the assembly process, an adapter board is also made between the interface board and the main PCB to realize the transfer of the cable to the pin. When disassembling and assembling, the two parts will not pull each other, which is also a bit modular.

285268-8
285270-9
The support connection structure between the support foot and the main body part of the bottom case is retracted and a very thin one. It also integrates a small contact PCB for connection to the motherboard. In this way, there is an empty space above the feet. With the lighting of 30 RGB bottom lights, my expectation is that this circle of feet will show some sense of suspension. It is the feeling that the feet and the main body are suspended in the air, and the feet support the whole keyboard with its idea. The lighting simulated by the rendering is a little stiff. I am still looking forward to the specific effect of the physical effect and I have to wait for more than a week for the PCB sample. At first, my idea was that the RGB lights cooperate with the opening of the casing to let the light through and shine on the feet. In this case, the normal viewing angle can only see some light reflected by the legs, but cannot see the light source. However, the disadvantage is that the light may be limited by the size of the opening, which is relatively concentrated and not scattered. So I thought of the glass beads that I used for the indicator light of another keyboard before. There are some refraction lenses, and the light will be more scattered. In addition, after inlaying glass beads, you can still see the transparent glass beads from a certain angle, which is also very special.

285272-10
In this Gasket structure, from top to bottom, there are segmented thin poron pads between the top shell and the positioning board, PC plate, 3.5mm thick overall poron padding between the plate and the PCB, PCB, 2mm thickness under the PCB of the overall poron padding.

Discord:
https://discord.gg/x3GTCeE

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/xikiimaker

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2022, 17:02:58 by kawaiicheung »

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
Re: [IC] Xikii S98 | Gasket Mount 980 Layout Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 17:26:34 »
Interesting concept. Please continue to share.
A-a-ron

Offline AuroraCamo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 20:09:59 »
I really like this concept, I just wonder about the pin-pad connection and whether it will have any security around it? like will there be a cover to cover it up when not in use? and will there be any other way to support the board on the feet besides that middle post?

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 15:09:53 »
I have some concerns about wear and tear, but if the batteries are user replicable, then this is an interesting design.

Offline stewfayew

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 12:32:45 »
solder PCB?

Offline touch

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 14:28:41 »
Would love to see iso support. Also I know split spacebar is rare to see with this layout but I'd love to see that too!

Offline kawaiicheung

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 03:13:28 »
Would love to see iso support. Also I know split spacebar is rare to see with this layout but I'd love to see that too!

hot-swap

Offline Robert.Lussier5

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 07:13:57 »
Very interesting for sure.

Since it is hotswap will different layouts be accommodated or is it the only set layout we see here?

Stepped caps
7U space

Would be great additions if possible on the hotswap pcb. That 1U bottom row is just ugly.
Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline yotasan

• ARCANE - PHOTOGRAPHY ARCHIVE
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 11:24:59 »
Love the format, love how the RGB looks, and I especially love how clever this little thing is. GLWIC

Offline autumnfall

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 19:44:08 »
What is the estimated price for this? And what is the sales format? Although I am interested in the board but need more info on the post.

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 July 2022, 17:32:46 »
Love the design. Count me interested.

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 July 2022, 01:11:54 »
What is the estimated price for this? And what is the sales format? Although I am interested in the board but need more info on the post.

Agreed - needs more info, but I'm interested.

Offline lw88

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 July 2022, 19:00:01 »
I like the lines and design language of the back, but the front top edge chamfer looks out of place where it just stops for the arrows that are moved down.
The floating effect is a neat idea but the extra machining cost probably blew the estimated price way out and that's why it's not shown right?
I like that idea, but there has to be a cheaper way to do it and ensure the effect without you still being concerned it won't even be acheived.

Interesting concept but it needs more fleshing out before you even proto it.

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 July 2022, 10:53:10 »
There are more renders out there of the S98. https://www.instagram.com/p/CfN3js5vsjF/

Also, here's a full build of one.

I wonder if it's still in the prototype phase or if it's already gone through a China-exclusive group buy. That hasn't stopped designers from running a second international one though.

Offline nonuser

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 August 2022, 02:39:38 »
holy moly, the rgb is so coooll  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: It looks like my red dragon keyboard