Author Topic: How easy is it to get replacement Pok3r 3 keycaps with the special side-markings  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Metalogic

Hi - I'm interested in getting a Pok3r 3 keyboard to use with my laptop computer when travelling (have a great laptop, but its keyboard is rubbish) and would like one with standard-sized keys, so the Pok3r 3 looks like a great choice. I was wondering, though, is it possible to buy replacement key caps for this, with the special Pok3r 3 side markings, as I hear the legends can wear?

Whilst standard key caps should fit, they don't have the side markings, and I'm concerned I'd forget what the keys do when used with the fn key etc. If replacement key caps are available, do these only come in ANSI international version, or are replacement ISO UK keycaps available too?

If replacements are available, but only readily in ANSI, I may just get an ANSI Pok3r and try to get used to the differences...

Offline theoriginal123123

I have one, you won't really find replacement OEM keys unless someone sells theirs. However, the layout is easy enough to memorise, it only took about 2 weeks of use for me.

If it helps, you can always keep a printout next to you of the layout which is what I did: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71-gxG-TWPL._SL1366_.jpg

I have heard of the legends wearing out, but I only kept the original keycaps on for 2 days so I can't provide much anecdotal evidence.

Offline Metalogic

I have one, you won't really find replacement OEM keys unless someone sells theirs. However, the layout is easy enough to memorise, it only took about 2 weeks of use for me.

If it helps, you can always keep a printout next to you of the layout which is what I did: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71-gxG-TWPL._SL1366_.jpg

I have heard of the legends wearing out, but I only kept the original keycaps on for 2 days so I can't provide much anecdotal evidence.

I have seen a few Pok3r PBT key sets for sale on Ali Express (e.g. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PBT-keycap-OEM-height-Mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-switch-use-IKBC-PURE-PRO-keycaps-KBT-POKER/32225622048.html ), though I think only for the Poker 2, not Poker 3, though those might come in time. They only seem to be for ANSI not ISO, though.

In fact, especially for this keyboard, I might just have to bite the bullet and go for ANSI instead of ISO, would give me a wider range of "normal" keycaps in any case, though I'd miss my "£" (don't need to Alt Gr key so much, as don't type accented charavters so much, though it's useful for the Euro symbol).

BTW can you change the Pok3r arrow keys to work on WASD? That would work better for me, as the FN is on the opposite site and I would remember it better and could perhaps get replacement keycaps for those keys in a different colour, especially as will also use this for gaming (not the primary function, though!). I'm not a VIM programmer, so having them on the other side doesn't really help me. Obviously I don't need side legends to remind me that the 1-0 keys are also the function keys, so if I don't have to remember those nor the arrow keys, which of the more commonly used "special" keys would be left to remember?

Obvio
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:58:35 by Metalogic »

Offline Malenky

It's very easy to remember the function layer, especially if you will be using it a lot. Give the default keycaps a change first anyway, they are pretty decently thick PBT and unless you sweat battery acid, I can't see the printing coming off for a good while, at least long enough to decide what kind of replacement caps you want, and enough time to learn the function layer.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
The legends wear off SUPER quickly on pok3r's but the function layer being front printed i don't ever recall having an issue with them ever wearing in the slightest.  So as long as you can type type the normal keys you should be fine (Even though it will look a little funky with uneven wear on the legends)
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Metalogic

BTW I asked Corus Keyboards about the availability of replacement keycaps for the Poker 3, their reply was : "We're sorry but those keycaps are only available on ANSI", they didn't specify where replacement ANSI keycaps where available, though