Author Topic: [IC] GMK White on Black and Magenta Mod Pack [LIVE!]  (Read 91788 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] GMK White on Black and Magenta Mod Pack [30/7: Pricing!]
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:21:18 »
Taking advantage of new molds will make this epic, it would be the first time a full set will have them included and in one of the more elegant colors the classic white on black, any serious keyboard user should join it, congratulations.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:23:03 »
You are making changes
You are not adding bumped F/J's that a high percentage of people use
You are removing blanks, which a lot of people fanatically use

I'm probably out too

I assumed that you wouldn't like proposed changes, but I think it's better to have more layout compatibility than include bumped f/j's and I've received very little positive feedback about blanks compared to the 'want' for the diamond keys. Also please keep in mind that I am only proposing these changes, I have not committed to them yet.

Offline ba7777

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:28:30 »
Maybe getting rid of the A-profile Wkl keys would be a option to cut down the price.

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:33:48 »
Frankly speaking, what you have changed on this attracted me more than the older layout.
In old layout, I will buy magenta mod but be hesitant to buy base kit.
Now I wanna buy both and my wallet crying

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:47:27 »
Maybe getting rid of the A-profile Wkl keys would be a option to cut down the price.

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

A Profile makes this an authentic equivalent of an OG Cherry original set, if you remove them you just have one more set of the many that have been released recently, but in a standard color, that may not attract many young people that prefer cute colors over authenticity; check the demand of the recent Carbon, or HF and compare them with the two black on beige group buys, there is nothing similar in their demands. Truth be told, this set is not for everyone, but for people with sensibility for its classic style, reducing the key counts, or cutting a couple of dollars in its price will not make this as popular as the colorful sets. After the huge Ivan's failure this set may be the one to go for, if someone really wants to get a classic, but with full support for contemporary layouts as well as for classic ones.

Offline priyadi

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:28:39 »
Hey everyone, I've got some proposed changes I'd like to make but I'd like any and all feedback I can get before I make a decision.

I'm cool with the changes. As long as it is possible not to have product placement on my keyboard, I'm happy.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline soilheart

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:29:29 »
You are making changes
You are not adding bumped F/J's that a high percentage of people use
You are removing blanks, which a lot of people fanatically use

I'm probably out too

I assumed that you wouldn't like proposed changes, but I think it's better to have more layout compatibility than include bumped f/j's and I've received very little positive feedback about blanks compared to the 'want' for the diamond keys. Also please keep in mind that I am only proposing these changes, I have not committed to them yet.

As one of the early requesters of the blanks (in the magenta kit) I vote against diamond keys (didn't even know you were considering to change to them until your post today).
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 12:10:59 »
There are types of GB-runners, some just want a set for themselves, and for possible layouts they might use in the future - some genuinely improve their set to help other majorities too, I'm not even saying minorities, some do that too - So blanks are probably removed because the GB-runner decided to use diamonds instead

I just don't get not including 2 small F/J's, and adding many more keys to extend layout compatibility, it just blows my mind
This is now a good indicator for me, if bumped F/J's are refuted early on, I mark the IC/GB as a selfish one

The same pattern appeared on Skidata+ too, Anyway, I give up on this GB, This type of IC/GB's is definitely not for me

(I also mourn for the wasted WoB/Originative/GMK-enthusiast resources, I really urged Sheraton to run a WoB set himself with many extra packs, kind of like the midnight SP or Granite set, where you buy alphas, modifiers, extras packs etc. It would be nice to have one GMK colorway that is widely available, with almost all non-regular keycaps produced with it- but now, if this GB succeeds, we won't likely see another WoB attempt)

Please excuse me, I try to be positive, but sometimes I just can't, so I'm unfollowing the thread now, and leave you at peace
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline joey

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 12:20:29 »
I think a poll with the different options would be good. So you can gauge interest at the different options. Only KHAAÀAAAN so far has mentioned bars, a poll would show us if others want it.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 12:34:04 »
I just don't get not including 2 small F/J's, and adding many more keys to extend layout compatibility, it just blows my mind
This is now a good indicator for me, if bumped F/J's are refuted early on, I mark the IC/GB as a selfish one
But you're the only one that wants it :confused:

Offline priyadi

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 12:38:36 »
I'd include as many caps as possible to please everyone, get the prices updated and introduce price breaks. I have a feeling this set is going to be very popular.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 18:26:05 »
Taking advantage of new molds will make this epic, it would be the first time a full set will have them included and in one of the more elegant colors the classic white on black, any serious keyboard user should join it, congratulations.

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

A Profile makes this an authentic equivalent of an OG Cherry original set, if you remove them you just have one more set of the many that have been released recently, but in a standard color, that may not attract many young people that prefer cute colors over authenticity; check the demand of the recent Carbon, or HF and compare them with the two black on beige group buys, there is nothing similar in their demands. Truth be told, this set is not for everyone, but for people with sensibility for its classic style, reducing the key counts, or cutting a couple of dollars in its price will not make this as popular as the colorful sets. After the huge Ivan's failure this set may be the one to go for, if someone really wants to get a classic, but with full support for contemporary layouts as well as for classic ones.

Thanks for the input ideus, this is pretty much how I feel, and considering just how many keys would be included (with the updates) I think the price will be very fair and not a deterrent for most people.

As one of the early requesters of the blanks (in the magenta kit) I vote against diamond keys (didn't even know you were considering to change to them until your post today).

I remember and I'm thinking of keeping the magenta pack as is to have the best of both worlds when it comes to winkey and it's replacements, given that the magenta pack needs to be compatible with older sets as well.

I think a poll with the different options would be good. So you can gauge interest at the different options. Only KHAAÀAAAN so far has mentioned bars, a poll would show us if others want it.

I'm open to this idea and want to be fair to everybody but I think I'll wait for a bit more feedback to see if it's necessary.

Offline effectiveduck

C'mon
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:28:47 »
There are types of GB-runners, some just want a set for themselves, and for possible layouts they might use in the future - some genuinely improve their set to help other majorities too, I'm not even saying minorities, some do that too - So blanks are probably removed because the GB-runner decided to use diamonds instead

The same pattern appeared on Skidata+ too, Anyway, I give up on this GB, This type of IC/GB's is definitely not for me

(I also mourn for the wasted WoB/Originative/GMK-enthusiast resources, I really urged Sheraton to run a WoB set himself with many extra packs, kind of like the midnight SP or Granite set, where you buy alphas, modifiers, extras packs etc. It would be nice to have one GMK colorway that is widely available, with almost all non-regular keycaps produced with it- but now, if this GB succeeds, we won't likely see another WoB attempt)

Please excuse me, I try to be positive, but sometimes I just can't, so I'm unfollowing the thread now, and leave you at peace

I wouldn't usually respond to a post like this, but it really rubbed me the wrong way for multiple reasons, and while I want to be the bigger person and walk away I just can't because this is some grade A bull****.

Firstly I understood that the proposed changes were not going to be popular with everyone, and I knew that you specifically wouldn't be happy as I know your fondness for both bumps and blanks, it's well documented. But to suggest that I'm selfish because I made design choices based on the feedback I received is ludicrous and I would counter that it shows your own selfishness, or at least immaturity, given that your willing to call people out for not including the exact keys that you wanted. You may disagree with my design choices, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have and will continue to take all opinions into account, including yours. If you follow this thread you will clearly see that I have made many adaptions based on feedback, for example using win98 winkeys, adding R5 and adding LED keys (although this has been removed in the proposed changes). The truth is that the only keys I will likely use are the base, wkl, split right shift and maybe 65/75%, so all these additions have no affect on the set for me personally, they are simply to make the set more appealing to as many people as possible. I considered adding bumped f/j keys but decided that adding full R4 wkl and 1800 support was more important and were changes that reflected what the majority of people wanted.

Secondly I truly believe that when your designing a set you should design it primarily for yourself. Why would I design a set I wouldn't purchase myself? Expecting IC/GB runners to drop the things they care about to accommodate what you want is selfish, not every set will include what you want and that variety is a good thing. When designing a set you can't just include everything and call it a day, you have to make choices about what to include and not to because price is a major factor in reaching MOQ.

Finally, this set (with the proposed changes) does include almost all non-regular keycaps.

As I've mentioned earlier, it is perfectly fine that you have preferences as to what keys you want included in any given set, but I take issue when you call me out for being selfish when I have tried my hardest to design a set that accommodates as many layouts as possible, while keeping the price as low as possible and making it as accessible as possible. Especially when there is clear evidence that I have made design choices that were not in my best interests.

To everyone who came here to discuss and help me with the design of this set, I am extremely sorry that you had to read this and I highly appreciate your input, this set wouldn't be as awesome as it is (both iterations) without it.

Offline shower_king

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:55:20 »

IC itself is compromise and uncompromise.Striking balance between improving and adhering to. Mr. effectiveduck have done a lot between attracting more audience and low price in a balanced way. From my pointview, he has done great and improved a lot on this layout.
i don't think this layout will attract much more with FJ bars and lose many interest without FJ bars. He is the starter and whether he could adopt your suggestion or not fully depend on him. i also provide my advice for this . if he ignore them ,i would accept and appreciate his decision. it is very ridiculous that you mark this as selfish GB just because FJ bars you asked could not be included. i have also saw you many times annoyingly asking many GB' Starters to adding FJ bars even saying that you could join them if adding FJ and don't join if no FJ. Please be aware of that this is a forum not your home you could do what you like to ignore others feelings.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:58:50 by shower_king »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 22:09:18 »
I really feel sorry for the guy that has no self control to avoid making personal remarks to anyone that is against his precious bars and blanks. I also felt compelled to answer him on his last discourse on selfishness; because, it is really easy to see that his is speaking about his own motivations and not of the others. Only, the immature cannot think beyond his/her own skin, and it appears this is a good example.

Back on business, this is a great proposal for a white on black set, something that has not been offered before and that would be one of the more complete sets of its kind; there are some new GMK white on black sets available at some internet stores; but, this will be better than any of them and at a lower price, what else we can ask for?

Offline bloorocket

• Experience tranquillity
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:12:41 »
PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN
It will look something like JTK Debut with my current setup!
Ducky Snake Mx Blues
Bucket list: EnduroPro, Ergodox, King's Assembly, HHKB Pro2, 55g RF
Looking for: Grey Mod set for RF 104 ANSI

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:21:14 »
I'm in.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:49:21 »
can we get scoops?  :))

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 07:55:13 »
I like bars. But we're too few and far in between.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:36:25 »
Any chance for nipples?  :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:51:42 »
Thank you for running this, I will save some money for this, I just cannot let it to pass, it has everything I always wanted in a white on black set.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:55:26 »
Thank you for running this, I will save some money for this, I just cannot let it to pass, it has everything I always wanted in a white on black set.

Show Image

Same. Going to refrain from buying to make sure I can make this.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 02:50:03 »
Please add homing bars! More than 50% of users want them!  :thumb:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:54:18 »
if you don't like scoops ....

144292-0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:10:29 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:33:50 »

Show Image

Including him.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 02:35:45 »
Listen to the prophet. GMK has recently started to sell its own uniqey keyboard, which uses - you guessed it righ - GMK keycaps. Did it use scoops or bars? It used bars.

Do we need another thread about bars?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74545.0

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76169.0

When a prophet speaks in the name of the GMK LORD, if the word does not come to... Whoever refuses to listen to the bars, shall find it is at his peril.

The prophet has spoken.

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 02:49:01 by Giorgio »

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 04:32:07 »
First off thank you to everyone for there input, I'm glad that most people are happy with the proposed changes.  ;D

I think I'm gonna to commit the changes to the WoB set but leave the magenta set as is, since I agree that it needs to be a bit more standard and with this setup we have basically every windows or windows replacement key offered between the sets. :thumb:

So I'm terribly sorry to the bump fans but they won't be included in the set for now, if we hit 250 we can consider having them added.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 05:50:53 »
Do I understand correctly, the magenta windows keys will also have the windows 95 logo, only the render isn't updated yet?
I'm a sucker for the retro win95 logo.

I'd be in for the WoB set with win95 legends and also the magenta addon if it has win95 legends.

Thanks for organizing this and cheers!
I like keyboards

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 06:14:12 »
Do I understand correctly, the magenta windows keys will also have the windows 95 logo, only the render isn't updated yet?
I'm a sucker for the retro win95 logo.

I'd be in for the WoB set with win95 legends and also the magenta addon if it has win95 legends.

Thanks for organizing this and cheers!

No sorry the magenta render is correct, I decided to keep win8 style keys in the magenta pack for variety and because I think it fits the more modern style of it. But I agree I love the win95 legends as well.

Offline joey

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 06:20:09 »
No sorry the magenta render is correct, I decided to keep win8 style keys in the magenta pack for variety and because I think it fits the more modern style of it. But I agree I love the win95 legends as well.
One of those reason is that you're selfish /s

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 06:47:06 »

Oh bummer, still in for WoB though. And I still might not be able to restrain myself from ordering magenta regardless.
I like keyboards

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:37:23 »
I joined GH just to post in this thread lol. That aside, I'm in for the Magenta mod pack. Just looking at it got me dreaming about a Carbon-Magenta mix/mess already! Thanks for designing the sets and keep up the good work!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:53:08 »
First off thank you to everyone for there input, I'm glad that most people are happy with the proposed changes.  ;D

I think I'm gonna to commit the changes to the WoB set but leave the magenta set as is, since I agree that it needs to be a bit more standard and with this setup we have basically every windows or windows replacement key offered between the sets. :thumb:

So I'm terribly sorry to the bump fans but they won't be included in the set for now, if we hit 250 we can consider having them added.

Count me in if whenever you decide to include the bumps :-)  :thumb:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:54:57 »
Those windows keys are ugly. Any windows key is ugly... Considering another option would be fantastic.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:11:17 »
Those windows keys are ugly. Any windows key is ugly... Considering another option would be fantastic.

Proposed WoB changes:
- Add R4 2x 1u and 2x 1.25u diamond keys

Specifically these:

Offline shower_king

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 19:44:05 »

Proposed WoB changes:
- Add R4 2x 1u and 2x 1.25u diamond keys

Specifically these:

Show Image

yeah ,diamond or "code"legend is both ok.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:05:16 »
The DUCK's TUX set: Waiting for the final renders to get even more excited about this buy, an example of the maximum possible elegance for a keyboard, she cannot be dressed any better; but, in the simplicity of a white on black tuxedo set.

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:13:48 by ideus »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:11:48 »
Ha ha, Duck's Tux is a pretty cool name.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:32:02 »
I think , someone here asked to see actual pictures of the diamonds, I borrow this picture from Vergil@DT.

Offline axtran

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:49:53 »
I want R5 so badly. lol
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 00:04:06 »
R5 is the best.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 01:39:39 »
The DUCK's TUX set: Waiting for the final renders to get even more excited about this buy, an example of the maximum possible elegance for a keyboard, she cannot be dressed any better; but, in the simplicity of a white on black tuxedo set.

Show Image

Haha, I love the name!

I found this a while ago, seems like the perfect time to share :p

More

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 01:40:42 »
R5 RGBY with Y using Diamonds...

Lets make this happen

Offline shower_king

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 02:21:22 »
R5 RGBY with Y using Diamonds...

Lets make this happen

really? :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 06:32:31 »

Show Image

Haha, I love the name!

I found this a while ago, seems like the perfect time to share :p

More

Exactly.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 10:01:47 »
tux caps for a tux set

Offline dorf

• divine creator