Author Topic: [WTS]{PAYPAL}IBM Model M SSK Blue(40+), White(10); FSK Blue(4), White(4)  (Read 64565 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: [WTS]{PAYPAL}IBM Model M SSK Blue(40+), White(10); FSK Blue(4), White(4)
« Reply #300 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 00:50:21 »
And you know what's great?!  Being able to play overwatch with Buckling Springs!  I never could use my fullsize model M b/c i didn't have room for my mouse.  Love it.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #301 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 08:59:35 »
Mine came in yesterday but I won't have a chance to open it until later today. I'll post pics when I do!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #302 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 10:03:52 »
Delivery attempted yesterday. Turns out a dusting of snow is enough for USPS to not come back a paved driveway. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Offline tron

« Reply #303 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 11:52:40 »
I still need to clean it up but overall I'm really impressed with mine. The sound, key feel and form factor are fantastic. I can see why people love using these for work/daily drivers  :thumb:

As much as I love my model F xt, the spacebar weight on the ssk is much better for long typing sessions.

I let a few friends try it out and one of them thinks he remembers seeing the ssk boards in Goodyear's P.R department back in the 90's. He absolutely loves it and wants to get one for himself now.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #304 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 12:26:18 »
To everyone raving about their boards, I can assure it you that it only gets better. I've had mine for a while now, and I still smile every time I get back to my desk. Only problem is ... I want another.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline enchong

« Reply #305 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 19:48:49 »
I got my ssk and I'm satisfied with it. Though I'm missing a couple of keys the F2 and Zero keys. But I can easily find it in ebay. Thank you so much!

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #306 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:18:12 »
I got my ssk and I'm satisfied with it. Though I'm missing a couple of keys the F2 and Zero keys. But I can easily find it in ebay. Thank you so much!

Damn, I could have swore I check all these!  I have some other keys I have still yet to sent out so I'll take care of that.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #307 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:48:42 »
I'm glad many of you are getting your SSKs already. I still have a few international shippments that are pending or going out on Tuesday, I'm invoicing you all tonight(12/31).

A few of you that got boards early have asked about getting the USB cables and I'll invoice you for the cable and shipping tonight(12/31) as well.

Those of you with missing caps I'll do my best to get those out on Tuesday as well some of you have been waiting far too long and to be honest, I just forgot, no excuses, I just forgot. These will goto the same address your board went. I just have to run out and get some small padded envelopes.

enchong:  F2, Zero
afrokobe: Q
hamilton:  < ,

Lastly, it's a bit early, but Happy New Year to you all.

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 21:06:17 »
Happy new year to everyone! May the new year bring SSK's to all (and hopefully the SDK cable are found!)

Offline supamesican

« Reply #309 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 09:53:51 »
So smol! Its on the bottom. My weird f xt next up f at after that. Unicomp endurapro on top.

I realize. Now why i love rhe model F size so much. I put the qwerty part of the board kn the same place on my desk so their right side ends about the same as an ssk.

EDIT: the ssk does over watch just as well as my f xt and xt boards. yay
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 January 2018, 12:54:07 by supamesican »

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:31:19 »
Just plugged her in  :) thanks bmmcwhirt! My board was born on my half birthday 6 years before I was born.

The switches are a little heavy, but I just need to get used to them. Unfortunately I'm missing the <, keycap.

185668-0

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 01:53:19 »
Just plugged her in  :) thanks bmmcwhirt! My board was born on my half birthday 6 years before I was born.

The switches are a little heavy, but I just need to get used to them. Unfortunately I'm missing the <, keycap.

(Attachment Link)

I'll get you one. Not sure if I have enough padded envelopes here so I'll have to see what the post office has. Most places here are out of small padded envelopes, and though it would be funny to send you a single keycap in a 11x15 padded envelope that seems wasteful.  :) . But damn that  would have ben funny.

Offline enchong

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 10:00:40 »
I'm glad many of you are getting your SSKs already. I still have a few international shippments that are pending or going out on Tuesday, I'm invoicing you all tonight(12/31).

A few of you that got boards early have asked about getting the USB cables and I'll invoice you for the cable and shipping tonight(12/31) as well.

Those of you with missing caps I'll do my best to get those out on Tuesday as well some of you have been waiting far too long and to be honest, I just forgot, no excuses, I just forgot. These will goto the same address your board went. I just have to run out and get some small padded envelopes.

enchong:  F2, Zero
afrokobe: Q
hamilton:  < ,

Lastly, it's a bit early, but Happy New Year to you all.

That's very nice of you. I can take care of the shipping if you want. Just send me an invoice in my paypal. You've been doing a lot of hard work.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 17:13:42 »
Got mine today. Haven’t tested it yet, but everything looks good at first glance. I am missing an F4 but not a huge deal. If we end up working out replacement keys cool, if not I’ll find one.

Thanks for this, gotta clean this sucker up.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 20:20:01 »
I finally had a chance to take mine out of the box. All keys are present, and it works like a champ with my existing PS/2 SDL cable and a "blue cube" USB adapter. Now to give the case and key caps a good soak and scrub.

Thanks, Brian!

Offline supamesican

« Reply #315 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:49:25 »
Yup i like this thing as much as my F xt and at. Due to how I play my keypad part of the keyboard it leaves me within 2cm of the same usable mousepad space on my desk so its not so much a size thing, but the springs are heavier than my model F boards, and yet slightly lighter than my unicomp board, I love them so much... If it had nkro it would be the best board ive ever used.

Doesnt even need a bolt mod atm, 24 years old and all the keys feel uniform and nicely clicky

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 15:34:39 »
All the keyboards and cables are shipped.

I did not get the caps shipped I'm still sorting through my bag of extras. Now that all the boards paid for are shipped I can harvest caps off one of the ones I still have in the house so that will happen this week.

If you don't have tracking information it means your board was shipped today and I haven.t put that into Paypal yet.

Those going international are harder as they don't have tracking, just a customs number.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #317 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 01:46:03 »
I just received mine. No missing keys and a even spare spacebar since the one it came with still had sharpie on it!  :thumb:

I love the size. Not only is it thinner because of the lack of numpad, but it's also shorter because the top bezel is smaller. 

The rivets towards the bottom are broken (not uncommon for Model Ms), so a bolt mod is in order, which should improve key feel. All keys are functional however.

Thanks for the great deal and fast shipping, bmmcwhirt!

185876-0

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 January 2018, 01:49:49 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Lotsati

« Reply #318 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 12:53:22 »
Hey guys,

If anyone wants a white label SSK with Orihalcon's USB cable let me know. Alphas are floss modded but that can be removed. Priority goes to: people on the waiting list > people who commented on this thread but not on the list. This SSK is from bmmcwhirt and will be priced the same as his (175 for white label SSK and 25 for Orihalcon cable for 200 shipped total by USPS Priority Flat Rate). Now sold  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 03:50:38 by Lotsati »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #319 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 14:33:43 »
Hey guys,

If anyone wants a white label SSK with Orihalcon's USB cable let me know. Alphas are floss modded but that can be removed. Priority goes to: people on the waiting list > people who commented on this thread but not on the list. This SSK is from bmmcwhirt and will be priced the same as his (175 for white label SSK and 25 for Orihalcon cable for 200 shipped total by USPS Priority Flat Rate).
Hey guys,

If anyone wants a white label SSK with Orihalcon's USB cable let me know. Alphas are floss modded but that can be removed. Priority goes to: people on the waiting list > people who commented on this thread but not on the list. This SSK is from bmmcwhirt and will be priced the same as his (175 for white label SSK and 25 for Orihalcon cable for 200 shipped total by USPS Priority Flat Rate).

Lotsati, I think you are shorting yourself $5. Not sure if that is intentional as the cables are $30. Just want to be clear on that but you are free to charge whatever you choose.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #320 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 14:37:24 »
I just received mine. No missing keys and a even spare spacebar since the one it came with still had sharpie on it!  :thumb:

I love the size. Not only is it thinner because of the lack of numpad, but it's also shorter because the top bezel is smaller. 

The rivets towards the bottom are broken (not uncommon for Model Ms), so a bolt mod is in order, which should improve key feel. All keys are functional however.

Thanks for the great deal and fast shipping, bmmcwhirt!

(Attachment Link)

Oops, I just noticed that I have C and V swapped in my picture. D'oh!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 14:43:30 »
Spent a couple hours on teardown and cleanup this morning. Only a single rivet is broken and it cleaned up really nicely. All in all, this is a fantastic piece of vintage computer equipment that looks and works as well as when it was packaged up at the factory in 1992. Better, probably, since the springs have had time to fatigue a little. By that I mean that his is the first model M keyboard I've tried that comes close to the perfect Model F feel. I'll be keeping it on my desk for a while.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 22:02:55 »
Spent a couple hours on teardown and cleanup this morning. Only a single rivet is broken and it cleaned up really nicely.

Even though I got mine a while back, I have yet to check for broken rivets. I'd be more of less nervous to do my first bolt mod on this sucker, considering they're pretty rare and certainly not cheap. I'm assuming broken rivets are pretty common.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 23:51:49 »
Spent a couple hours on teardown and cleanup this morning. Only a single rivet is broken and it cleaned up really nicely.

Even though I got mine a while back, I have yet to check for broken rivets. I'd be more of less nervous to do my first bolt mod on this sucker, considering they're pretty rare and certainly not cheap. I'm assuming broken rivets are pretty common.

My first bolt mod was on this one; was also very nervous at first but once you cut out the first leftover rivet and drill out the first hole you'll realize its quite straightforward. After I was done I realize there's not much any point of failure in the whole process. As long as you can hold the drill straight for a few sec you're good to go. The guide in DT is pretty much what I followed.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 11:04:56 »

I don't blame you for not wanting your first bolt mod to be an SSK. Bolt mods aren't terribly difficult, but there are some things I didn't fully understand until I actually went through the process (I've done one full bolt mod and one partial). The main two recommendations I'd make are 1) to make sure you drill straight holes (use some sort of brace, a good bit, and a steady hand) and 2) drill the holes before you break the sandwich apart because the metal holes don't line up quite how you'd think; also, that way, the barrel plate still has the support of the metal back plate when you're drilling.

On my first one, I broke everything apart before drilling. It was harder to get the holes aligned properly this way, and it was harder to brace the barrel plate without the metal back plate on it (it's actually a pretty flimsy piece of plastic when it's not riveted to a piece of metal).

That said, don't mutilate a Model M unless it actually NEEDS a bolt mod. If it feels nice to type on, and all the keys are functional, it doesn't need it. Weak clicks in the numpad, nav cluster, or modifier keys are the usual signs of needing one in my limited experience.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 12:04:43 »

I don't blame you for not wanting your first bolt mod to be an SSK. Bolt mods aren't terribly difficult, but there are some things I didn't fully understand until I actually went through the process (I've done one full bolt mod and one partial). The main two recommendations I'd make are 1) to make sure you drill straight holes (use some sort of brace, a good bit, and a steady hand) and 2) drill the holes before you break the sandwich apart because the metal holes don't line up quite how you'd think; also, that way, the barrel plate still has the support of the metal back plate when you're drilling.

On my first one, I broke everything apart before drilling. It was harder to get the holes aligned properly this way, and it was harder to brace the barrel plate without the metal back plate on it (it's actually a pretty flimsy piece of plastic when it's not riveted to a piece of metal).

That said, don't mutilate a Model M unless it actually NEEDS a bolt mod. If it feels nice to type on, and all the keys are functional, it doesn't need it. Weak clicks in the numpad, nav cluster, or modifier keys are the usual signs of needing one in my limited experience.

I'm going to pull it apart and look at how many rivets have popped. Obviously it feels great IMO, but I don't have much Model M experience to compare against. Is there a number of broken rivets that is acceptable, or rather a number where I should consider it in the 'danger zone'?

Offline supamesican

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 12:22:38 »
im so glad all the keys on mine feel right and click right, i dont want to bolt mod yet ether

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 12:33:33 »
Is there a number of broken rivets that is acceptable, or rather a number where I should consider it in the 'danger zone'?

The plates need to be held together uniformly and firmly. Quite a few broken rivets may or may not be a problem, but several in near proximity to each other will probably create an unacceptable "soft spot"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 14:24:14 »
My right and up arrow keys sound a bit weird.  When I took it apart I noticed that the rivet was broken near them.  I'll fix it one day, but for now I just accept it for it's unique sound quality :)

Offline tron

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 14:33:26 »
My right and up arrow keys sound a bit weird.  When I took it apart I noticed that the rivet was broken near them.  I'll fix it one day, but for now I just accept it for it's unique sound quality :)

I opened mine and found ~14 loose rivets in the bottom of the case (mostly from the right side). Sure enough the right side is starting to separate when I squeezed the back plate and barrel plate together.

I found a guy on reddit that is willing to do the bolt mod for a reasonable price. The downside is that Unicomp doesn't make new membranes or blankets for the ssk so he would have to use the original parts. User name- Le_Sega_Dreamcast. He's the same guy that made this how to guide- https://imgur.com/a/8Oyc9#o5Yb8St

I will let everyone know how it goes when I get it back. Currently waiting on a replacement case before I ship it out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 January 2018, 14:35:24 by tron »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 14:54:56 »

Unicomp doesn't make new membranes or blankets for the ssk so he would have to use the original parts.

A standard blanket ("membrane" in Unicomp-speak is the dome layer in a rubber dome assembly) can be cut with a pair of scissors to fit the SSK with no problem. IBM was good about consistency like that.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tron

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 15:28:43 »

Unicomp doesn't make new membranes or blankets for the ssk so he would have to use the original parts.

A standard blanket ("membrane" in Unicomp-speak is the dome layer in a rubber dome assembly) can be cut with a pair of scissors to fit the SSK with no problem. IBM was good about consistency like that.

Interesting. I will ask if he can cut a Unicomp blanket to fit the ssk. Regarding the membrane layer, I think he was referring to the plastic sheet with all the traces (pictures in his guide).

Offline Ilprincipe

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 15:18:32 »
Mine arrived on Friday but I could only pick it up from the post office yesterday. Shipping to Switzerland was quite quick. I just connected it and everything works fine. I started cleaning everything with IPA and will post pictures when I'm finished. Thanks for making this possible.

Offline typischt

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:57:33 »
Totally forgot to post: I received the USB cable a few days ago and it works perfectly (including plug and play without restarting the pc) with my Model M! Thanks a lot bmmcwhirt for making this possible (especially in such a short amount of time!).

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:46:05 »
I received mine and am cleaning it up now.  It's pretty fantastic so far.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:49:07 »
Welp, i was late to the party so if anyone has an extra and/or is willing to sell me one, I'll gladly make a deal. Need to get back in the game and an SSK would do me wonders.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline reccatyo

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 04:03:13 »
Mine was received from a few weeks ago, but my friend just returned yesterday to US to open it.
All the caps are there and everything seems to be working fine.

Thank you so much bmmcwhirt.  :thumb:

And love the birth date of the model M, 12-21-1992.  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 04:06:50 by reccatyo »

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 04:59:04 »
Has there been any update?

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 20:33:58 »

No. As soon as the weather warms up I will be able to do more. I will try to clean up the list for those that have been fulfilled already in the near future.

I did try to contact Unicomp about just getting PS2 cables but the discount was only going to be about $1.00 per cable and at quantities I was not willing to purchase.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • snoozing
« Reply #339 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 09:24:12 »

No. As soon as the weather warms up I will be able to do more. I will try to clean up the list for those that have been fulfilled already in the near future.

I did try to contact Unicomp about just getting PS2 cables but the discount was only going to be about $1.00 per cable and at quantities I was not willing to purchase.
Np we chillin. Thank you once again for hosting this  :thumb:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 15:31:40 »
Thanks mate. Finally got it last week after the remailer, DHL and Greek customs made me jump through flaming hoops.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 18:59:31 »
How can I have missed this. Terrible mistake.

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 21:56:34 »
Sometimes life throws you curve balls and sometimes cheesecakes. This was a cheesecake.

Offline osrix

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:28:46 »
How can I have missed this. Terrible mistake.

I'm feeling the same, I dont come on here often enough these days, Found myself needing and SSK and saw this!! Missed by a hair! O never mind...though if there are any left please ad me to the list! :D

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:46:14 by osrix »

Offline JWK

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 22:51:51 »
...As soon as the weather warms up ...
I would like to buy one with a USB cable. 

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:44:25 »

AS OF 11/27/2017    I am taking no more interested parties.

I want to get the list correct and get these taken care of before we go any further[I always for get if this counts as distance or existential but I'm using further anyway].

I'm updating the list in a few min so lets keep new posts to corrections and changes or other important matters. Then after this I'll evaluate how many are left.

If I need to make corrections, please post the correction in the same format as the list with all the fields.

GOOD NEWS!

We are close enough to the 30 marker on USB cables that I am going to cover any needed to bring it to 30 which means the price will also be $30.00 not $32.50.  orihalcon has also informed me that you can have your choice of beige or black cable on the USB cables. I am going to assume beige unless I get a correction. If you are still listed as PS2 and wish to switch to USB that is fine just make the post in the proper format with USB/Black or USB/Beige . if your listed as just USB it's assumed beige.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:46:19 »

AS OF 11/27/2017    I am taking no more interested parties.

I want to get the list correct and get these taken care of before we go any further[I always for get if this counts as distance or existential but I'm using further anyway].

I'm updating the list in a few min so lets keep new posts to corrections and changes or other important matters. Then after this I'll evaluate how many are left.

If I need to make corrections, please post the correction in the same format as the list with all the fields.

GOOD NEWS!

We are close enough to the 30 marker on USB cables that I am going to cover any needed to bring it to 30 which means the price will also be $30.00 not $32.50.  orihalcon has also informed me that you can have your choice of beige or black cable on the USB cables. I am going to assume beige unless I get a correction. If you are still listed as PS2 and wish to switch to USB that is fine just make the post in the proper format with USB/Black or USB/Beige . if your listed as just USB it's assumed beige.

It's OK...  I missed it too.  My SSK still going through USB/Serial adapter.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:20:58 »
So many new SSK owners. Make sure to join this club: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34712.0

;D

Offline Darkblade48

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 11:58:16 »
So, it's been a while, is there any update?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #349 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 13:56:35 »
Yeah OP come on.