Author Topic: Help picking first trackball  (Read 5950 times)

Offline vegs

Help picking first trackball
« on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 05:33:29 »
Hey all! I recently started working a fulltime office job and I've started to notice a bit of strain in my right shoulder. I want to try switching from mouse to trackball and see if that helps.
I have medium-ish hands, 18cm * 9cm. I don't have many requirements, but scroll-wheel and wireless would be nice.

After some googling, I've narrowed my search down to Logitech MX Ergo and Kensington Expert (wireless), but leaning towards the MX Ergo.

Any help or recommendation would be appreciated!
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Cheemio

Re: Help picking first trackball
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 10:17:04 »
Glad you posted, I'll be having a Logitech MX Ergo coming in the mail soon. Based on my research, the MX Ergo is your best bet if you want all the features of a modern mouse while still being a trackball.

IBM Model M

Offline 8Bitterness

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:16:05 »
I'd say that you should probaby get both and see which one you prefer for work and the other at home if that's an option. Otherwise I'd go for Kensington since I have a strong preference for finger trackballs. If the MX Ergo had the hyperscroll wheel like the one found on the MX Master it would almost be a no-brainer depending on the type of work you do.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:17:38 »
Try the new logitech vertical one.

A modded vertical mouse is still significantly more accurate and more ergonomic, but it takes a bit more work than off the shelf ball..

chck out ergo pwn 9000 in my signature.

Offline vegs

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 01:00:57 »
Glad you posted, I'll be having a Logitech MX Ergo coming in the mail soon. Based on my research, the MX Ergo is your best bet if you want all the features of a modern mouse while still being a trackball.
Nice, do let me know when you get it.

I'd say that you should probaby get both and see which one you prefer for work and the other at home if that's an option. Otherwise I'd go for Kensington since I have a strong preference for finger trackballs. If the MX Ergo had the hyperscroll wheel like the one found on the MX Master it would almost be a no-brainer depending on the type of work you do.
That would be the best, but I'm much pickier when it comes to mice at home as they're used for gaming.

A modded vertical mouse is still significantly more accurate and more ergonomic, but it takes a bit more work than off the shelf ball..

That looks interesting. I think it's a bit of an investment for my first ergo mouse, but I'll definitely consider it down the road.

buy less

Offline Cheemio

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 14:34:50 »
So I've been using the MX Ergo for about a week now and I can say I like it! This is my first time switching over from a traditional mouse to a trackball. It was a lot faster to switch than I thought, I got used to it quickly. I also find it a lot more comfortable than a traditional mouse, especially thanks to the 20 degree tilt, it's very handy.

One problem I have is a lack of smoothness, whenever I try to move horizontally with the mouse there's a sense that I can't be as precise as I would like to be. The ball kind of "hitches" and doesn't move smoothly. Apparently this only happened in some batches of MX Ergo, so you might not have the problem. I am going to call them about it tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement mouse. Overall though, if I can fix the hitching problem, I see myself using this thing till someone makes something better!

IBM Model M

Offline vegs

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 06:34:00 »
So I've been using the MX Ergo for about a week now and I can say I like it! This is my first time switching over from a traditional mouse to a trackball. It was a lot faster to switch than I thought, I got used to it quickly. I also find it a lot more comfortable than a traditional mouse, especially thanks to the 20 degree tilt, it's very handy.

One problem I have is a lack of smoothness, whenever I try to move horizontally with the mouse there's a sense that I can't be as precise as I would like to be. The ball kind of "hitches" and doesn't move smoothly. Apparently this only happened in some batches of MX Ergo, so you might not have the problem. I am going to call them about it tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement mouse. Overall though, if I can fix the hitching problem, I see myself using this thing till someone makes something better!
Thanks for the quick review! I actually ended up ordering a CST L-Trac :)) I'll let you know once I've tried it for a few days.

buy less

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 18:09:43 »

That looks interesting. I think it's a bit of an investment for my first ergo mouse, but I'll definitely consider it down the road.

If you want to try a vertical mouse without breaking the bank you could consider the Anker vertical mouse, its like $20 on amazon and has a wireless option.

If the Ergo is too expensive you could also consider the Logi M570, the predecessor of the Ergo. They can be found pretty cheap used on ebay if you want to see if the form factor of the thumb ball is for you. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 October 2018, 18:18:37 by lasttycoon »
Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 18:19:59 »

Thanks for the quick review! I actually ended up ordering a CST L-Trac :)) I'll let you know once I've tried it for a few days.

Great pick! I am using a CST 1550 right now and its a great trackball. Bonus points for it being ambidextrous! I use mine in the left hand.
Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues