Author Topic: On the road to end game  (Read 4382 times)

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
On the road to end game
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:04:20 »
Hey,

So started getting into mechs about a year ago now, owned 3 in that time span, starting out pretty commonly for gaming like a lot of people I know with a Razer blackwidow, only took about  2 months of reading online and watching reviews to realise this wasn't the keyboard for me and that quality and aesthetic were the real deal somewhere else.

So I did a bit of research, at this point I'd already tried a few MX Blues on other boards and didn't want to get rid of the numpad. Found my way to WASD and picked up a CODE with MX Greens, partly because there were no Blues and because I'd learned how much of a heavy typer I am, got really worried at first that they would be too heavy but got used to them in only a day or two.

Now I'm here a year later with a Pok3r MX Blues in order and a whole load of keycap sets!

So GH, what was your first mech on the road to end game?
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: On the road to end game
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:08:01 »
Hey,

So started getting into mechs about a year ago now, owned 3 in that time span, starting out pretty commonly for gaming like a lot of people I know with a Razer blackwidow, only took about  2 months of reading online and watching reviews to realise this wasn't the keyboard for me and that quality and aesthetic were the real deal somewhere else.

So I did a bit of research, at this point I'd already tried a few MX Blues on other boards and didn't want to get rid of the numpad. Found my way to WASD and picked up a CODE with MX Greens, partly because there were no Blues and because I'd learned how much of a heavy typer I am, got really worried at first that they would be too heavy but got used to them in only a day or two.

Now I'm here a year later with a Pok3r MX Blues in order and a whole load of keycap sets!

I own a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with browns that I've used for the better part of two years. Like you, I'm on a Pok3r with blues right now, and have another 60% board coming in with clears to see how I like them (and to mess around with the board a little). I suspect my next purchase will be a Topre board (Realforce 87U uniform 55g). Still not sold on the HHKB. Then you know, maybe a Kishsaver or something ;)

Welcome to wallethack!
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:26:38 »
Hey,

Welcome to wallethack ! :)
We're a good friend already since you love clicky switch, but honestly it's really hard to say end game board
I thought that I had my end game a year + ago but than I keep finding ways to get more end game boards :D

anyway, I started with Filco until I jumped straight to my end game which is my KMAC with 67g blues
and til this day I still love Filco
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:47:21 »
Hey,

I own a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with browns that I've used for the better part of two years. Like you, I'm on a Pok3r with blues right now, and have another 60% board coming in with clears to see how I like them (and to mess around with the board a little). I suspect my next purchase will be a Topre board (Realforce 87U uniform 55g). Still not sold on the HHKB. Then you know, maybe a Kishsaver or something ;)

Welcome to wallethack!

It's only a matter of time until you convert to 60% I feel like!

I'm going to keep my eye out for your impressions once switching to Topre, my thoughts have been conflicting with it, something about the ruggedness of MX because lack of membrane makes me think it will last longer, and that just irks me with Topre. I'll have to get a hold of one but they aren't really available to try in Australia anywhere, thanks for the greeting and thanks for sharing  :D

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:52:24 »
Hey,

We're a good friend already since you love clicky switch, but honestly it's really hard to say end game board
I thought that I had my end game a year + ago but than I keep finding ways to get more end game boards :D

anyway, I started with Filco until I jumped straight to my end game which is my KMAC with 67g blues

Hey man, yeah definitely feel you on the clicky switches  :thumb: and Wallethack, there is no truer term! I've spent hundreds this month on custom cables, cases, and sets. I'm gonna try my best to upload some photos over the next few weeks!

Just a quick question, what's your opinion on lubing switches? I haven't really dove into that side of things yet, I did skim over the article on lubing in the suggested reading though.

On to the end game!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:02:49 »
Hey,

Hey man, yeah definitely feel you on the clicky switches  :thumb: and Wallethack, there is no truer term! I've spent hundreds this month on custom cables, cases, and sets. I'm gonna try my best to upload some photos over the next few weeks!

Just a quick question, what's your opinion on lubing switches? I haven't really dove into that side of things yet, I did skim over the article on lubing in the suggested reading though.

On to the end game!
I can tell you that lubing is not for clicky lovers and heavy switch user. Even if the lube does not remove the click (which I think there is a guide for lubing clicky switch without losing the click)

I tried this on a 62g blues before and I sold the board in the end

However on the funny side, I'm now also in love with vintage linear. I know it's the opposite taste but man, heavy vintage blacks also feels nice
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:28:58 »
Hey,

On to the end game!
I can tell you that lubing is not for clicky lovers and heavy switch user. Even if the lube does not remove the click (which I think there is a guide for lubing clicky switch without losing the click)

I tried this on a 62g blues before and I sold the board in the end

However on the funny side, I'm now also in love with vintage linear. I know it's the opposite taste but man, heavy vintage blacks also feels nice

Yeah well that's some help! I didn't really feel the need to lube, especially because I've never really had a "scratchy" feeling to my keys, cheers for the tip.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 03:59:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I almost started with a BlackWidow, but found GH first and asked the right questions that led to me buying a Ducky Shine 1 with MX blues and red backlighting.

I still have it, and do still use it from time to time.

I'm still a long way away from end game though, at the moment I seem to be collecting (or trying to collect) Model M/F 122 keyboards :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:11:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I almost started with a BlackWidow, but found GH first and asked the right questions that led to me buying a Ducky Shine 1 with MX blues and red backlighting.

I'm still a long way away from end game though, at the moment I seem to be collecting (or trying to collect) Model M/F 122 keyboards :))

Thanks for the Welcome!

I've been looking over the forum and can see the love for the older model mechs, I don't know if it's just me now but I feel like I'm more fond of the modern designs, I've never had the chance to try BS though, one day.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:41:17 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks for the Welcome!

I've been looking over the forum and can see the love for the older model mechs, I don't know if it's just me now but I feel like I'm more fond of the modern designs, I've never had the chance to try BS though, one day.

Everyone likes different keyboards.  I seem to like most of my keyboards, but then I'm generally easy to please :)

Some like backlit, some don't.  Some like clicky, some don't.

The important thing is to find what YOU like ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 04:19:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks for the Welcome!

Everyone likes different keyboards.  I seem to like most of my keyboards, but then I'm generally easy to please :)

Some like backlit, some don't.  Some like clicky, some don't.

The important thing is to find what YOU like ;D

Yeah that's true, I feel like there is not a whole lot in Australia. No retail outlets with Topre and outside of online forums like this I'm not sure I'd be able to find anywhere to test a buckling spring :/

Might be a better scene in Melbourne though

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:21:52 »
Welcome to GH! Love my Pok3r although i'm more of a clear switch type guy :p, what key sets do you use for it? I've got deep space on mine :D

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:42:50 »
Welcome to GH! Love my Pok3r although i'm more of a clear switch type guy :p, what key sets do you use for it? I've got deep space on mine :D

Mine is actually on pre-order because it's a backlit version but I am planning on having a blank NPKC set on there, in rainbow probably, also probably going to replace the case to match with a custom USB cable coming.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:52:28 »
Hey,

I bought a Corsair K90 because OMG! programmable LEDs! Which I never used I was pretty happy with it for a while until I realized that I don't like having a boat on my desk and never use number pad let alone Macro keys. The kicker on that board the reason it had to go was the non-slandered layout kept me from getting some awesome keysets. So then I moved to KB80 with browns. Too light so I got a Pok3r with Greens and then I bought a HHKB and all other boards have got only a quick glance and no more since then.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:07:33 »
Hey,

I bought a Corsair K90 because OMG! programmable LEDs! Which I never used I was pretty happy with it for a while until I realized that I don't like having a boat on my desk and never use number pad let alone Macro keys. The kicker on that board the reason it had to go was the non-slandered layout kept me from getting some awesome keysets. So then I moved to KB80 with browns. Too light so I got a Pok3r with Greens and then I bought a HHKB and all other boards have got only a quick glance and no more since then.

We will see if I ever make my way to the Topre bandwagon!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:51:18 »
Yeah that's true, I feel like there is not a whole lot in Australia. No retail outlets with Topre and outside of online forums like this I'm not sure I'd be able to find anywhere to test a buckling spring :/

PCCG used to sell RealForce boards, for $187 or thereabouts IIRC.

I've stopped kicking myself now for not picking one up at the time.

Other than PCCG, there's one or two places in Sydney, and MechKB whereever they are.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:26:44 »

PCCG used to sell RealForce boards, for $187 or thereabouts IIRC.

I've stopped kicking myself now for not picking one up at the time.

Other than PCCG, there's one or two places in Sydney, and MechKB whereever they are.

Yeah I looked on PCCG recently and it looks like it's still just the commercial brands, Sydney is closest to me, I'm about an hour and a half drive South of the City. I'll find one some way or another, but until then, lol I'll probably just end up throwing the money down on an F660C or a HHKB.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:47:14 »
sup
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:25:33 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:29:58 »
Chillin. End game is hhkb btw.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:31:00 »
Chillin. End game is hhkb btw.

Nice, might end up there myself, probably gonna ease into topre life though with a F660C.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:41:08 »
Neg.

Only topre boards worth getting are 55g RF and hhkb. Save yourself money and get either.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:43:20 »
Guess it's HHKB then...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:48:09 »
Good good

55g RF greatest topre switch.

Hhkb greatest lay out. Can't go wrong with either.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:50:32 »
Good good

* puts trust in the Demik

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:52:32 »
demik*

And I've never steered(?) anybody wrong. Besides that one guy. But he's gone now. And we don't talk about him.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 04:02:26 »
lol, that dude, think I know of the dude.

soz demik*

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 04:09:00 »
Shhhh we don't talk about him!

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 07:52:15 »
Good good

Combine both, stop using all my other boards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 08:29:11 »
Good good

Not the same. Plate mounted > case mounted

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:06:23 »
Good good

True, I am optimistic about the progress of an Aluminum HHKB case though. Which would theoretically get the switches to a RF feel.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:23:01 »
Good good

True, I am optimistic about the progress of an Aluminum HHKB case though. Which would theoretically get the switches to a RF feel.

Sadly that massdrop one looks like ****. I don't even care for a case. Just want metal backplate ;_;

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:41:28 »
sploogefactory is my end game

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:49:14 »
sploogefactory is my end game

I'm right here

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:49:55 »
this message has been removed

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:26:47 »
this message has been removed

Thank you for your input.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 22:02:16 »

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2015, 04:01:48 by rowdy »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.