Author Topic: After three years of owning a mechanical keyboard...  (Read 2354 times)

Offline pelicularities

After three years of owning a mechanical keyboard...
« on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:14:42 »
... I finally discovered the world of mechanical keyboards.

I bought a Das Keyboard Model S Professional for Mac in the fall of 2012 and fell in love. At the time, I thought it was going to be a keyboard for life. (My roommate wasn't too pleased.)

A few months ago, I walked past a Corsair K95 at an electronics store and poked at the keys, and walked away feeling superior about using Blues rather than linear switches.

Inexplicably, the next week, I went back, and poked at it again. And again. And again. And then I wanted a keyboard with Reds.

(This is what having an affair must feel like, I thought.)

So I ordered a switch tester through Massdrop. I was already a Massdrop member because of their EDC community, but having the Mech Keys Massdrop community right there definitely made it *cough* easier to get into mechanical keyboards.

The switch tester arrived, and then I fell in love with Gateron Clears. And also Cherry Clears and Cherry Greens - don't ask me what the logic is, there isn't any.

I'm now waiting for my Varmilo VB87M with Gateron Clears to arrive, and with my next paycheck, I'm planning to get the parts for a Planck with Cherry Clears and have a go at building my own keyboard. And also some Cherry Greens and a controller to turn my switch tester into a numpad, just in case I feel I need one when moving over from a full-size to a TKL keyboard.

Offline jaffers

Re: After three years of owning a mechanical keyboard...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 17:45:51 »
Yeah, it starts with one switch. Than 3, than topre's, than alps, than buckling springs and artisans and classifieds and then house repossession.

Welcome to wallethack

Offline pelicularities

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 18:12:08 »
How did you know I was looking at Topres next?  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline jaffers

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 21:40:47 »
Its just the way it goes. Always MX switch, topre, then alps/buckling spring

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 21:57:31 »
I actually went (unknowingly) from BS to ALPS to MX.  The BS was used when I was younger and ALPS were on the keyboard I found and started using when I started at my new job.  I then did some research, found out I had been using ALPS and had used BS in the past, and jumped on my first MX board.

Welcome to the club mate, protect your wallet though!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline pelicularities

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 08:55:53 »

Haha, don't worry - I caught the joke ;) it's just a bit too real though...

Offline jaffers

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 18:25:35 »

I made a joke? What was joke?  :)

Offline pelicularities

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:13:43 »

I wish this forum had a like button!

Offline jaffers

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:42:57 »

I wish this forum had a like button!

*presses like button

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:31:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Cherry clears and greens are a lot heavier than the other switches you've listed.  Are you gradually finding a preference for heavier switches?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pelicularities

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:26:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Cherry clears and greens are a lot heavier than the other switches you've listed.  Are you gradually finding a preference for heavier switches?

I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed greens and clears, too, because based on what I read on paper, I didn't think I'd like them. And yet I also love the Gateron Clear! I think what's happening is that I'm finding that I enjoy very light linear switches and very heavy tactile switches, with different use cases for each of them.

This is all theoretical at the moment as the only switch I've actually used extensively is the Greetech Blue, but I think I'll enjoy typing (as in writing, blogging, etc.) on Gateron Clears. Typing on a Cherry Red keyboard feels a little like using a fountain pen - super smooth, with no resistance from the tool at all. I'm also into fountain pens, and while some fountain pen enthusiasts like a little bit of scratchiness from their pens to let them know the pen is there, I don't. I want the words to glide out of my head straight onto the page or the screen, and light linear switches let me do that.

Tactile switches evoke a different memory for me. I used to shoot 10m air rifle, and I was taught to "ride" the trigger - aim, depress the trigger partway until you feel resistance, refine the aim, and then actuate the trigger. On my Das Keyboard I often find myself resting my fingers on the keys and depressing them until just before the actuation point as I think about what I'm going to type. (Yes, I know I won't be able to do this with linear switches.) It's a lot more deliberate, and I'm a lot more aware of the keys under my fingers as I type. Based on the switch tester, I found that I enjoyed the greater resistance of the Cherry Greens and Clears precisely because of this increased tactility. When put next to all the other switch options on a switch tester, the Blues and Browns feel neither here nor there for me - too light to be pleasurably tactile, too tactile to be pleasurably smooth. I feel like this goes against all conventional wisdom about switches, but hey, the best switch is the best switch for you, etc etc etc.

Hence the logic behind my current keyboard acquisition plan: Gateron Clears on a daily-use keyboard for writing and thinking with. Greens on a numpad, for precision when inputting numbers. And Cherry Clears on a Planck as a happy medium. I suspect in the long run, for desktop use, I might gravitate towards a custom-built full-size keyboard with different switches for alphas, modifiers and numpad keys. We'll find out :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:00:41 »
Thanks for the explanation :)

Btw we have a writing/fountain pen thread too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ